http://gamingtrend.com
August 21, 2014, 12:45:29 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mars: War Logs - PC RPG  (Read 607 times)
Turtle
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: April 26, 2013, 12:07:00 PM »

Anyone hear anything about this? Apparently it released today as of this post for $20 on steam.

It seems like it's an independently developed RPG, coming out of some Euro developer. The visuals look pretty good so far, but I can't find much about it, and there's no early reviews.

From what I can gather, it's set on mars, a little post apocalyptic, so kind of Red Faction looking. It also has a cyberpunk element, and the main character has some technomancy magic-like skills. Your character has, as usual, gotten involved in some bigger cyber conspiracy on Mars and now you're dodging police and dealing with what looks to be native Martian creatures or mutants, probably both.

Combat looks to be a bit like Batman Arkham Asylum, viewpoint, not sure about the gameplay. It could be more beat-em-up with RPG aspects.

Considering they have deliberately not shown video of dialog, I suspect some pretty Euro-tastic dubs, but I can stomach that if the game is good.

Edit: Here's the launch trailer. Actually sounds and looks good!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JfF4KD7_bwE

Basically, third person RPG with Batman AA style combat. It might all fall apart, but I'm willing to give it a shot at $20, even if it ends up rough, it could be fun in the way Deadly Premonition was.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2013, 12:10:19 PM by Turtle » Logged
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2013, 01:00:34 PM »

Huh... that does actually look pretty cool. I'll be anxiously awaiting your impressions.  icon_wink

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
tcweidner
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2013, 02:26:02 PM »

that's a pretty good plot, theme, and storyline, I too would be interested in hearing impressions. (aka I'm too cheap to take the plunge myself until I hear more  icon_lol)

Project Reindeer Games- Exclusive Family Friendly PC Games to Give, Play, and Share for Free.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2013, 06:17:22 PM »

it seems to be getting good impressions on the Steam forum for it.  I think Green Man Gaming still has a 20% off code active, but there site is down so I cannot check to see if they have this on there.

[edit] confirmed.  using GMG20-GGN5D-FC3NA you can get this for $16, and it activates on Steam.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2013, 06:38:42 PM by CeeKay » Logged

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2013, 12:24:09 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on April 26, 2013, 06:17:22 PM

it seems to be getting good impressions on the Steam forum for it.  I think Green Man Gaming still has a 20% off code active, but there site is down so I cannot check to see if they have this on there.

[edit] confirmed.  using GMG20-GGN5D-FC3NA you can get this for $16, and it activates on Steam.

picked it up there at GMG.  thanks for pointing this out ceekay.

impressions later.

"It's like chess with big guns against aliens. Which isn't like chess at all when I think about it." - Jake Solomon
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2013, 01:13:42 AM »

Got it as well, also with the GMG deal. Only played about 20 minutes or so, barely into the first area.

So far, it's good. You can tell it's a budget title, but you can also tell (so far) that it's a budget title with love put into it. Technically it's been solid, framerate is high and smooth, no weird bugs typical of the style. The Voice acting is good for the main characters, although the writing is off. You can tell they spent more to get good English speakers for the main characters.

The mechanics just work, and it pretty much tries to copy Batman AA's combat, succeeding a good bit, but you know the typical slight off-ness with the timings and such with budget games. This early, with no abilities unlocked and the "magic" locked it's too basic to tell if it becomes something more.

Haven't hit any major plot points, but I should mention this game is has mature content in its writing, even if the writing is a bit odd in translation.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2013, 01:15:49 AM by Turtle » Logged
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2013, 04:09:00 AM »

There doesn't seem to be a way to remap the keys...

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2013, 03:39:43 PM »

Unfortunately, there's issues with combat. They will often send many enemies against you, and unlike more well polished games, they forgot to set the AI so that only 1-2 of them attack you at once.

So you can get situations where you're stun locked, or even boxed in. The evade move only helps so much, you can get an ability to block from any angle but the enemies do have a block break, just like you. All the wind ups from enemies are also short, no icon to telegraph either.

All in all, the combat is serviceable, definitely not Batman. Thankfully auto saves are frequent, it hasn't failed to autosave before a fight and hasn't locked me into a fight straight off an autosave, so I can turn around and prepare if I'm not ready.

There's some stealth mechanics, and crafting, all of which are serviceable.

The story so far has been a moderate amount of fetch quests, but some interesting stuff. Honestly stuff you'd expect. I'm about 3 hours in and I'm still in the first camp area just doing story quests that are setting things up for a bigger event. I'm really not sure how big this game is at this point, but the character, story, and setting does have me interested in playing more.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2013, 11:28:35 AM »

looks like this just hit XBLA, and it due on the PS3 on August 7th for the Euros and sometime later in the month for NA.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Doopri

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2013, 10:07:41 PM »

neat!  first i heard of this was watching a video on live about 2 days ago.  seemed interesting enough at least to warrant a trial spin
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: