http://gamingtrend.com
July 24, 2014, 01:33:20 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mario Kart DS review [ign]  (Read 4788 times)
depward
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: November 12, 2005, 02:45:52 AM »

Edited to add:  "Mario Kart DS is the greatest Mario Kart game ever, which, in turn, makes it the greatest Kart racer game ever created."

Score rundown:

9.5   Presentation
Incredibly thorough single and multiplayer experience with tons of options to beef up the variety. The online component works simply and elegantly, but it's just a little too restrictive.   

9.0   Graphics
Super fast, super smooth 3D engine drives the action. All the Mario-esque elements are represented here, and even though the characters are low-poly they still look fantastic.   

9.0   Sound
The happy, peppy Mario style of music continues on its happy and peppy direction. Some voice samples are more compressed than others. Stereo effects are outstanding and work well on the DS speakers.   

10   Gameplay
This is the best of the Mario Kart best. Kart and weapon balance is incredibly tight, new track designs are fantastic, and the game has an extraordinary amount of playtime well after   

10   Lasting Appeal
If there's any game you'll continuously come back to, it's this one. Single cart, multiple cart, and online multiplayer, and single player finally has "bots" for practicing Battle Mode!   

9.5    OVERALL - Incredible

GOTM!

Can't wait til next week to be Mario Kartin' it up online!

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2005, 05:35:07 AM »

I can confirm that the wireless online does indeed work.  After some mostly painless setup (my router was configured for just the wireless g mode, had to switch to b compatibility), I got right online and went through a four player event.  All pretty automatic, and no lag at all.

Graphics are nice for the DS, right on par with MK64.  There's some new powerups, and there's a ton of tracks.

The only negative so far is that there's no online battle mode, which I think kind of sucks, that was always my favorite.  Oh well.

depward

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2005, 05:47:31 AM »

I want the game.  How does everyone already have a copy?!

EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2005, 06:47:18 AM »

I wonder why Nintendo puts more content into their handheld titles than their console ones.  The Mario Tennis and Golf games get the RPG treatment on the GBA, but not the consoles, and Mario Kart for the Gamecube was one of the weakest, most half-assed efforts I've seen from them, yet there's a lot more in the DS version.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2005, 01:22:52 PM »

Nintendo sent early copies to game store managers, which is how I got mine.  Don't know where everyone else swiped theirs from.

Belgedin
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2005, 02:45:41 AM »

::squeels like a little girl::
PaulBot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2005, 05:30:58 AM »

Sounds like this is going to be one to pick up.

Can you pick who you race with online? If so, we should figure out a time to meet!!

CEO of the GT Post Padders Club
depward

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2005, 05:37:47 AM »

Ok, you can't pick who you want to race.  I know.  Kinda crappy.

But if you have people on your friends list (either by playing or getting their friend code) . . . and if they're searching for a game at the same time you are . . . you have a "greater chance" of hooking up with them in the same game.  Don't ask me how much of a chance, but I just read about how there IS a greater chance of it.

PaulBot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2005, 05:46:34 AM »

Don't miss the commercial for Mario Kart DS - IGN has it on their web site - it's pretty funny!

http://media.ds.ign.com/articles/666/666262/vids_1.html

Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2005, 09:32:19 PM »

Man, if I had the cash to just throw around with reckless abandon, I'd pick up four DSes and four Mario Kart carts for me and my buddies, get sauced, and play this around the house. I think that'd be hilarious. Too bad we're all broke, and too "old" to have a reason to buy a handheld. More the broke part though.

Now Playing: GTA - San Andreas [PS2]
Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2005, 10:11:23 PM »

Quote from: "Dafones"
Man, if I had the cash to just throw around with reckless abandon, I'd pick up four DSes and four Mario Kart carts for me and my buddies, get sauced, and play this around the house. I think that'd be hilarious. Too bad we're all broke, and too "old" to have a reason to buy a handheld. More the broke part though.

*Checks his age*

*Looks over at his DS, GBA SP, and PSP*
*shrugs*

Glad it was mostly the borke part, though. smile

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
warning

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2005, 01:48:49 AM »

Picked it up today and so far it is sweet!

The only problem is my wireless access point (Linksys WAP11) doesn't connect.  Crap.  I guess I'll be buying the dongle then.

I'll post back with single-player impressions.  So far I've aced the first two 50cc Gran Prix races.  Yay I can compete with 5 year-olds now!
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2005, 01:56:29 AM »

Very cool - stores'll have it over here on the west side tomorrow.  Looking forward to some more impressions!

TheMissingLink on PSN
warning

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2005, 04:09:00 AM »

Loving this!

I'd only ever really played Mario Kart for the GameCube and for the GBA.  I also never "got" Mario Kart.  That said, this game is a blast!  I wiped out the 50cc competition and am ready to move on to 100cc.

The tracks are beautiful and smooth.  Several of them had me giggling with how fun they are to race on.  I love getting shot out of a cannon.

I played a couple of the missions in the Mission Mode and they look fun.  I didn't make it to the first boss battle (yes Boss Battle!) yet but I'm close.

I can't wait to get online.  I ordered the Wifi Dongle thingy from Nintendo's site and I went for 2 day shipping so hopefully by the weekend.

I can't see this leaving my DS for a long, long time.  If I didn't have one before this would have sold me the system if I'd played it.
depward

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2005, 04:39:44 AM »

My dongle is shipped and will be here Wednesday.

Good impressions!  Can't wait - it's going to be GREAT!!  Should get it (along with a supposidly in-stores Magna Carta) tomorrow!

depward

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2005, 05:15:48 AM »

Gamespot gives Mario Kart DS a 9.2
GOTM?   biggrin   No no no, but still, some pretty impressive scores.  Mario Kart goodness on the go.  AND ONLINE?!  I LOVE IT.

Torfish
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2005, 01:51:59 PM »

I can't wait to pick this up.

Questions! How do I know if I need the extra wireless component?  I have a netgear wireless network at home.  What will I need to do to play on-line?
Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2005, 02:32:51 PM »

I'm with Torfish...I've got a wireless network...but I've WEP secured it like a good little technician.  Does that mean I'll have to use the dongle on my computer to be able to take it online?

Does anyone know if the Wifi dongle is an unsecured access point, or will it only allow DS systems to plug in?  I'm a bit of a security nut, and I'd like to know what I'm installing into my computers.

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Aunt Wu: Care to hear your fortune, handsome?
Iroh: At my age there is really only one big surprise left, and I'd just as soon leave it a mystery.
warning

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2005, 03:05:02 PM »

If you go to www.nintendowifi.com they will give you a list of routers that will work with it's Wifi service.  WEP is okay WPA is not.  My router/access point wasn't on their list and I chanced it but I can't get it to work so it's off to the dongle for me.

Nintendo's dongle only works with Nintendo stuff.  I'm not sure how they secure it but that's what they're saying.
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2005, 03:45:49 PM »

I believe there is a little app on your computer (that comes with the dangle) where you have to give permission to allow any DS'es to use your dangle. So, once you've allowed yours once, it will have access. I believe you can allow multiple DSes access to it.

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2005, 03:46:24 PM »

You know you want one anyway, just to say that you grabbed the dongle and that it's the most fun you've had all month.

Now Playing: GTA - San Andreas [PS2]
Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
Chaz

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2005, 05:19:56 PM »

If your router is WEP secured, it gives you the option to input your key, and after that, you're good to go.

Again, for anyone having trouble connecting to their router, make sure it's set for wireless B compatibility mode.  If it's set for G only, the DS will see it, but won't be able to connect to it.

warning

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2005, 05:26:25 PM »

I hate this game.  I'm getting no work done today.  Mentally ill patients are being neglected while I try to complete the 100cc Cup.

I just played a balloon battle against "bots".  Jeez that was fun too!
warning

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 15, 2005, 06:20:25 PM »

And now I can actually work today.  My battery needs charging.

This is the quickest I've had to recharge my DS's battery since I bought the damn thing.

Now I just have to resist the urge to powerslide into coworkers until I can get home and recharge.
PaulBot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2005, 08:10:11 PM »

Quote from: "warning"
I hate this game.  I'm getting no work done today.  Mentally ill patients are being neglected while I try to complete the 100cc Cup.

Glad to hear you have your priorities straight. I'm sure the patients will understand, and can wait until tomorrow (or the next day).

shon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: November 15, 2005, 09:36:44 PM »

Just bought the game at lunch and can't put the game down too bad I'm at work also but there are no patients involved so I don't feel so guilty.

The tracks are wonderful along with the music that goes with them.  My fav so far is the Pinball track it is a lot of fun.

Can't wait till I get home and try multi.

PGR3 who needs it when you got Mario.

warning

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 15, 2005, 10:08:59 PM »

Quote from: "shon"
The tracks are wonderful along with the music that goes with them.

I played with the headphones on last night and it sounded great.

1up has a strategy guide which looks pretty helpful.
Ascendent

Have love, will travel..

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 15, 2005, 11:11:07 PM »

Having a blast playing this, completed 50 cc courses. Finally got Dry Bones I was looking for Koopa from the Snes days, alas Dry Bones ain't Koopa. Instead he's some horrible slow moving abomination *sigh* had high hopes for him to.

Ascendent
depward

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 15, 2005, 11:16:09 PM »

GAH should have gotten the dongle today but missed the UPS delivery.  That's how it has been going with me lately though.  Crap.

Hopefully I can pick up a copy if they have it in when I get Magna Carta tonight.

pricecs
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: November 15, 2005, 11:36:33 PM »

The game rules - WFC is spot on (although the linking of your WFC ID to a Nintendo ID is cumbersome).

I've just started a thread on Multiplayer Gaming for our Friend Codes.
http://www.gamingtrend.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=9798

Chris.
Ascendent

Have love, will travel..

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 16, 2005, 12:00:49 AM »

What's a dongle? Besides the obvious biggrin

Ascendent
Ascendent

Have love, will travel..

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 16, 2005, 12:28:10 AM »

Nevermind I found it so thats how you'll be able to play at home. Ok ordering one.

Ascendent
Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: November 16, 2005, 12:45:09 AM »

Quote from: "Ascendent"
Nevermind I found it so thats how you'll be able to play at home. Ok ordering one.

Ascendent

Just remember..you only need the dongle if you don't have Wifi at home already.  (I've got a Linksys WRT54G at home..so I should be okay)

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Aunt Wu: Care to hear your fortune, handsome?
Iroh: At my age there is really only one big surprise left, and I'd just as soon leave it a mystery.
pricecs
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: November 16, 2005, 01:10:47 AM »

As long as your wireless is not using WPA, you'll be good.

I'm in a hotel room connected to my travel access point (DLink WRT750G), and I'll be adding the config for my home wifi on Friday.

Chris.
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 16, 2005, 11:00:19 PM »

Damn fine game, DAMN FINE GAME, I'm really enjoying it.  Online is lag-free as well, that's awesome.

Has anyone here been able to 3-star mission 1-8?  It's the 4 power-slide turbo boosts in a lap, which I do, but I can't do it under the amount of time for 3 stars.  I can only get 2.  AND I WANT THREE BEFORE I PLAY THE BOSS...I've had as high as 18:5 seconds left...I'm guessing I need to do it quicker than if 19 were up, but damn, I can't do it!  Any tips!?

TheMissingLink on PSN
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 17, 2005, 02:48:08 AM »

FUCK 1-8 UP IT'S STUPID FUCKING ASSHOLE

^going for *** the whole day isn't smart when you play the same 1/4th of a track over and over and over.

You've gotta pretty much powerslide the whole thing, ya?

TheMissingLink on PSN
weleavefossils
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: November 17, 2005, 05:07:47 AM »

just picked this up on the way home, I can't wait to sit down with this.

Wii 5882-3358-1683-0643
depward

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 17, 2005, 05:15:40 AM »

I'm getting a weird error whenever I try to install the Nintendo wi-fi adapter on my computer.  When it prompts me to plug the adapter in, I do so, but then automatically I get an error that says, "Please insert the Nintendo wi-fi adapter into your computer's USB port."  Then it aborts installation.

I've tried all 4 ports I have.  I've dinged around with settings.  I've posted in the Nintendo forums.  I can't for the life of me figure out why the heck it's not installing.

Then I take it over to my brother's computer - same hardware as mine - and it installs perfectly.  What.  The heck.

Baron Of Hell
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 17, 2005, 07:17:23 AM »

That problem usually happens if you put a usb device in before it is time or another usb device could be messing with it.

GoneGold refugee, needs food and place to stay
depward

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 17, 2005, 08:42:29 AM »

Nope!  I'll just wait for the prompt then insert it.  And I have all of my other USB devices not connected!  Seriously!  I should have been studying today, but instead, spent hours trying to find a way/posting on Nintendo's forum on how to try and fix it.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: