http://gamingtrend.com
October 25, 2014, 06:47:22 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mario Kart 8 [Wii U]  (Read 1030 times)
EngineNo9
Gaming Trend Senior Member

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« on: May 22, 2014, 09:38:59 PM »

I did a quick search and it appears we may not have a thread for this game yet.  Time to remedy that!

Mario Kart 8 comes out for the Wii U next week (May 30th) and everything I've seen looks pretty great.  Visually it looks like really impressive and probably the best looking game on the Wii U to date.  It sounds like the online play works quite well this time, and is a real step forward from the typical Nintendo garbage multiplayer. 

I think I'm most happy for the simple fact of being able to play this with a true gamepad and not a Wiimote/nunchuck.  smile

Is anybody else picking this one up?  I know it comes shortly after the long-awaited Watch Dogs, but I think they hit different enough notes to both get attention.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2014, 09:49:54 PM »

Have been looking forward to it.  All the footage I have seen of it looks wonderful.  Even bought a 1 TB hard drive to kick off my digital collection with this title (well, technically I have some other digital titles like Mario 3D World and Wind Waker, but I ran out of room and so this was my move to be able to have room for all digital titles from here on out).

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2014, 10:04:22 PM »

Yep, I will have it day one.  The only thing that is disappointing is that they apparently completely screwed up Battle Mode. 
If there are enough WiiU owners here we should have some all GT member races.
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2014, 12:55:22 AM »

Already preordered.  Looks like a lot of fun.  I'm in for GT member races.
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2014, 02:40:07 PM »

I have ordered from Amazon.  Can't wait.

I will post my info so people can find me to play.

Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2014, 11:33:42 PM »

Playing Mario Kart online is a good way to discover how bad you are at the game!
Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2014, 12:21:47 AM »

This game is good.  I'm still unlocking courses playing 50cc grand prix.  My 6 and 4 year olds joined me for most of it.  Lots of fun.  It's hard to believe that the wii u is cranking out graphics like this.  The track design so far has been great.  Some of the tracks have already become early favorites in my house.  Mostly the ones with multiple transitions and gliding.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2014, 02:13:42 PM »

Yeah, these are some of the best tracks I've ever seen, both visually and creatively.  And the old ones look great, too, with some tweaked course changes to boot.

For once, I'm finding that I watch the highlight reel after every race.  Some very cool editing.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Mystic95Z

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2014, 09:42:16 PM »

Got my copy from Amazon yesterday and didn't even know it or remember that I had it pre ordered. Haven't got to try it yet, todays been busy with my sons high school graduation... One down one to go lol.
shon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2014, 01:15:10 AM »

Played most of last night and today and really enjoying it.  The graphics are really great and the track designs are really fun to race. 

Suitably Ironic Moniker

WAKKA-WAKKA-WAKKA!!!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2014, 04:23:29 PM »

I've read that it winning is less about using the specials and more about racing skill in this one. True?

Patriotism means being loyal to your country all the time and to its government when it deserves it - Mark Twain

3ds friend code: 0001-3352-7186
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2014, 04:45:29 PM »

Quote from: Suitably Ironic Moniker on June 01, 2014, 04:23:29 PM

I've read that it winning is less about using the specials and more about racing skill in this one. True?

You can still get frustrated by an annoyingly timed blue shell, but there does seem to be more racing than item use.

Playing the 50cc tracks, where I'm often in the lead, can be frustrating, too, since the prize boxes almost always deliver coin powerups, which are useless when the coin cap is 10.  I understand the logic of this, but it's still annoying.  OTOH, it's awesome when you're in the lead and you get a green shell and use it to defend yourself!

Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2014, 05:41:09 PM »

Quote from: Suitably Ironic Moniker on June 01, 2014, 04:23:29 PM

It seems like items cause more of a temporary disruption instead of game altering outcomes this time around.  While getting hit by an item will allow one person to get an edge on you itís pretty rare that they set you back multiple positions.  Also, for the first time ever, you actually get an item that can cancel the Blue shell.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2014, 05:46:29 PM »

I don't know, there have been plenty of times where I'm in a nice lead on the last lap and then I'm hit by a blue shell and get passed by multiple people, and then hit by lightning, and before you know it I'm in 6th place instead of first.  In those moments it still kind of ruins the game for me. 

And yeah, I'm super sick of just picking up coin boxes all the time. 

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2014, 06:21:33 PM »

I just read that each coin gives you a small increase to speed, so that's nice.  It's almost unnoticeable for individual coins, but adds up over time.

I have also been hit multiple times in combo situations of shells, lightning, etc.  That does suck.  But, yeah, the items do seem to have less of a game-ruining impact by themselves.

I've used the horn effectively against a blue shell once.  Very satisfying.  However, horns don't seem to come up often and their general useage is limited, it seems (maybe it's just because I'm still working through the 50cc courses and no one is really near me).
« Last Edit: June 01, 2014, 06:25:01 PM by Bullwinkle » Logged

Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2014, 06:36:48 PM »

So what are peopleís account names and when do you play usually?  I know I have a couple of you already but it seems like we have a few new comers since the last batch of WiiU games.
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2014, 12:33:19 AM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on June 01, 2014, 04:45:29 PM

Playing the 50cc tracks, where I'm often in the lead, can be frustrating, too, since the prize boxes almost always deliver coin powerups, which are useless when the coin cap is 10.

They might not do you any good in the race, but the extra coins do help you unlock vehicle parts.

Also, I love the Highlight Reel feature.  I hardly ever use the replay feature in racing games, but with MK8, I always watch the highlight reel.  It's also lead to some awesome gifs and the Luigi Death Stare  saywhat

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2014, 02:58:51 AM »

Just a reminder, donít forget to register Mario Kart 8 on Club Nintendo!  You get to pick from a number of really great free games if you do.  I highly recommend Pikmin 3 if you donít already own it.
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2014, 07:41:09 AM »

Quote from: Lordnine on June 02, 2014, 02:58:51 AM

Just a reminder, donít forget to register Mario Kart 8 on Club Nintendo!  You get to pick from a number of really great free games if you do.  I highly recommend Pikmin 3 if you donít already own it.

You also get 70-80 points for registering MK8 (depending on whether you did the "intend-to-buy" survey) plus another 60 for registering the free game (at least it was 60 for New Super Mario Bros. U) and another 10 points for each in the eventual post-play survey.  That gives you 160 points, which is almost enough to get another free game at Club Nintendo.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2014, 01:59:51 PM »

Friend me up!  I got it, registered, downloaded Pikimin 3 and even played a bit!

Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2014, 04:09:33 PM »

Quote from: farley2k on June 02, 2014, 01:59:51 PM

Friend me up!  I got it, registered, downloaded Pikimin 3 and even played a bit!

What is your account name?  I'm Lordnine. 

I tried playing some multiplayer around 10pm last night and discovered that is a horrible idea.  Early afternoon it matched me against people I actually stood a chance against but that late at night everyone was just insane.  I think the best I managed to come in was 5th place and normally I was hanging out at the back of the pack near 10-11.
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2014, 06:04:56 PM »

Farley2k (smile

farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2014, 06:05:19 PM »

Bad language but funny.

Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2014, 06:16:57 PM »

My kids and I have been having a blast playing local co-op.  We've earned gold trophies in all of the 50 and 100cc events, and are now working on the 150cc races.  The learning curve against the AI feels just about right.  Good drifting isn't really necessary against the AI until mid-way through the 100cc races.  Now 150cc is another story, we have to drift at that speed to finish in the top 3, but it makes it more fun (and chaotic).

The attention to detail in this game is astonishing.  So many little touches from reflections, to textures on the tires, to reactions from the racers.  You really have to see it to believe it.  I played a ton of Sonic Transformed with my family on the 360.  It's a great game.  MK8 is on another level.  If I didn't already have a Wii U, I would buy one for this game.       
forgeforsaken

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 02, 2014, 06:33:51 PM »

I haven't played this, but Luigi looks to be a straight up gangsta
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 03, 2014, 10:16:20 AM »

More Luigi awesomeness.  The part at :58 is mesmerizing.

wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 03, 2014, 12:23:40 PM »

Quote from: EddieA on June 03, 2014, 10:16:20 AM

More Luigi awesomeness.  The part at :58 is mesmerizing.

That video is fantastic.
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 03, 2014, 10:02:38 PM »

Is Luigi the only character in the game who looks at opponents and/or makes an angry face?

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: June 03, 2014, 11:46:56 PM »

Quote from: Ridah on June 03, 2014, 10:02:38 PM

Is Luigi the only character in the game who looks at opponents and/or makes an angry face?

No, they all look back when you pass somebody and they do different facial animations as well.  Luigi just happens to look like an evil asshole when he does it.   icon_twisted  Plenty of the others just smile or whatever.

EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: June 04, 2014, 09:01:26 PM »

Man, after watching some videos I realized that there are still several power ups that I have never gotten.  I did just get the infinity/8 for the first time when I was doing poorly in a 150cc race, but I didn't even know there was a golden mushroom or bullet Bill power up.  I've never gotten the star or the squid (though have been hit by it plenty) either.

Also, the Koopalings are such products of the late 80's early 90's.  I'm surprised Nintendo didn't try to redesign them a little bit to make them a little less embarrassing.

Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 05, 2014, 01:14:19 AM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on June 04, 2014, 09:01:26 PM

Man, after watching some videos I realized that there are still several power ups that I have never gotten.  I did just get the infinity/8 for the first time when I was doing poorly in a 150cc race, but I didn't even know there was a golden mushroom or bullet Bill power up.  I've never gotten the star or the squid (though have been hit by it plenty) either.

Also, the Koopalings are such products of the late 80's early 90's.  I'm surprised Nintendo didn't try to redesign them a little bit to make them a little less embarrassing.
If you're normally leading races, or in the top 3, you will probably never get to use the bullet, lightning, star, infinity, golden mushroom or blue shell.  I'm guessing there is a sliding % chance for each item tied directly to your current placing in the race.  I rarely get to use any of those.  I'm always at the receiving end of a blue shell, lightning or squid ink.

Regarding the koopalings, they're not my favorites, but I like them more than the babies.  Even my kids don't like the babies.
Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: June 07, 2014, 01:45:03 AM »

I've finally become good enough in multiplayer to lead the pack instead of making sure everyone else finishes the race safely! I think my shining moment tonight though is when I knocked a really high skill ranked player from first place all the way into last by bumping him off a cliff right before a jump.  The rescue thing put him right back on the track just in front of the jump and dropped him down again.  icon_lol

So what time does everyone else usually play?
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 11, 2014, 03:19:05 AM »

my NNID is Tebunker if anyone wants to send me a friend invite I am down, I also have a regular daily tournament set up online for playing, so pm me and I can send the code.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 06, 2014, 11:45:53 AM »

A patch is coming on August 27 that will add 3 Mercedes karts and add some nice new features, including a stats screen and an on-screen minimap smile

Lordnine

Lord of the Rutabagas

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: August 06, 2014, 04:40:06 PM »

Those cars look really ugly and out of place next to the bright and cartoony world. 
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 07, 2014, 08:11:12 PM »

I think it's kinda cool. You don't have to choose those karts, obviously, and the DLC is free. More than anything I like that Nintendo doing things they haven't done before (at least not that I can think of).

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: