http://gamingtrend.com
July 31, 2014, 12:07:24 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: March NPD Hardware & Software Numbers (God of War WOW! PS3 slides further)  (Read 3073 times)
Andrew Mallon
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: April 19, 2007, 11:08:13 PM »

Here are the hardware/software numbers for March from NPD. The March numbers encompass five weeks instead of the usual four. So if a given console's sales are flat compared to February, it actually means it sold fewer units per day. Numbers are from GAF.

HW Sales
Nintendo DS 508K
PlayStation 2 280K
Wii 259K
Xbox 360 199K
PlayStation Portable 180K
Game Boy Advance 148K
PlayStation 3 130K
GameCube 22K
Xbox n/a

Top 10 SW

PS2 GOD OF WAR II 833K
360 TOM CLANCY'S GHOST RECON: ADVANCED WARFI 394K
360 GUITAR HERO 2 W/ GUITAR 291K
WII PLAY W/ REMOTE 273K
PS3 MOTORSTORM 199K
NDS DIDDY KONG RACING 189K
NDS SPECTROBES 165K
360 MAJOR LEAGUE BASEBALL 2K7 165K
PS2 MLB '07: THE SHOW 164K
360 DEF JAM ICON 148K

A few notes
========
First time the 360 has ever dropped to  under 200K in a month
PSP numbers see a nice boost due to price drop
PS3 numbers are 3K higher than February, but again, five week month means that its weekly average slid downward.

Here are the February numbers for comparison (courtesy of Zimix and Kotaku): http://www.gamingtrend.com/forums/index.php/topic,19706.0.html
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2007, 11:12:05 PM »

those predictions from last week were way off. If Nintendo could've actually made more machines I'd love to know how much they could've sold.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2007, 11:13:03 PM »

Quote from: Andrew Mallon on April 19, 2007, 11:08:13 PM

ONOS TEH 360 IS DOOMED slywink

gellar
depward

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2007, 11:17:13 PM »

Don't cry for me Playstation Three
The truth is I never left you
All through my wild days
My mad existence
I kept my promise
Don't keep your distance...

Not worried for the PS3.  Honestly.  At least it's selling SOME amount with only what, two "purchasable" games?  Can't wait until the blockbusters hit - then it'll sell.  Just  lie in ambush, PSTriple.... slowly but surely sell some units here & there until WAMMO blockbuster over here, BLAMMO blockbuster over there.

Wii doesn't surprise due to the shortages.

Spectrobes - Disney's "next hit" - #7.  Good showing considering I didn't know what to expect.

That's a whole lotta God of War...

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2007, 11:24:30 PM »

Quote from: gellar on April 19, 2007, 11:13:03 PM

gellar

Heh. I  said that 200K is the magic number where demand is exhausted at its current price point. So, when demand is exhausted, you either drop the price or introduce something new.

gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2007, 11:25:00 PM »

Quote from: Andrew Mallon on April 19, 2007, 11:24:30 PM

gellar

Heh. I  said that 200K is the magic number where demand is exhausted at its current price point. So, when demand is exhausted, you either drop the price or introduce something new.

... that no one wants slywink

gellar
Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2007, 11:26:41 PM »

Quote from: gellar on April 19, 2007, 11:25:00 PM

gellar

gellar

No argument here. smile  They should've just dropped the price.
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2007, 11:27:17 PM »

Quote from: Andrew Mallon on April 19, 2007, 11:26:41 PM

Quote from: gellar on April 19, 2007, 11:25:00 PM

gellar

gellar

No argument here. smile  They should've just dropped the price.

Totally.

gellar
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2007, 11:56:25 PM »

I still think, given all the other numbers, the 360 is selling just fine given that a huge PS2 release came out and people are still gobbling up the Wii. The 360 isn't the one that has issues, its the PS3. If MS can stay at 200k or around there for a while, they will probably be just fine for the near future.
Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2007, 12:03:34 AM »

Quote from: Calvin on April 19, 2007, 11:56:25 PM

I still think, given all the other numbers, the 360 is selling just fine given that a huge PS2 release came out and people are still gobbling up the Wii. The 360 isn't the one that has issues, its the PS3. If MS can stay at 200k or around there for a while, they will probably be just fine for the near future.

"Just fine" is a relative term. I would agree with you that the 360 is doing well relative to the orignal Xbox and considering that its been on the market for eighteen months without a price drop. If MS's goal is to increase its user base by a decent margin, they're in good shape. If their goal is to completely dominate the market, the 360 hasn't shown anything yet to indicate that its capable of doing what the PS2 did.

And the PS3 numbers suck, no question about it.
Kobra

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2007, 12:06:56 AM »

Wow, the PS2 continues to kick major ass on hardware AND software.   Look at the Wii, a bunch of people buying it for Sports.

All truth goes through three stages: first it is ridiculed: then it is
violently opposed: finally it is accepted as self evident. - Schopenhauer
depward

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2007, 12:15:33 AM »

Quote from: Kobra on April 20, 2007, 12:06:56 AM

Wow, the PS2 continues to kick major ass on hardware AND software.   Look at the Wii, a bunch of people buying it for Sports.
And Super Paper Mario and Wii Play and Trauma Center and WarioWare and Zelda and...

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2007, 12:54:54 AM »

Quote from: depward on April 20, 2007, 12:15:33 AM

Quote from: Kobra on April 20, 2007, 12:06:56 AM

And Super Paper Mario and Wii Play and Trauma Center and WarioWare and Zelda and...

Don't try to reason with a maniac  retard icon_twisted Tongue

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
Kobra

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2007, 01:55:54 AM »

I'm just looking at the software sales, I don't see the Wii filling up that catagory.. Lotta Wii owners, not a lot of game buying from the looks of the March list...

All truth goes through three stages: first it is ridiculed: then it is
violently opposed: finally it is accepted as self evident. - Schopenhauer
Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2007, 02:23:04 AM »

If it wasn't for me, the DS numbers would only be 507,999.  icon_cool
Zimix

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2007, 02:41:17 AM »

Interesting take from Sony:

David Karakker, senior director of corporate communications at SCEA, said of the figures, "According to NPD data, March 2007 showed a 24% increase in retail dollars generated year-over-year for the PlayStation brand in North America with total sales of $447 million, due in part to the addition of the PS3 platform as well as the strong launch performance of God of War II for PS2 at retail."

Addressing PS3 sales, Karakker wrote "While PS3 saw a month-over-month increase of 2% with sales of 129,638 units, we continued to find ourselves supply constrained in March due primarily to the shift in manufacturing focus to the PS3 PAL version to support the launch of the system in Europe."

Has anyone not been able to find the PS3?
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2007, 02:52:28 AM »

he's more crazy than Kobra, Check my PS3 thread, mine had a large layer of visible dust on it. They aren't flying off shelves.

Oh, and Kobra, the top 10 isn't indicative of total software sales for a platform there my man, but you are right in the fact that a lot of people are hooked in by Wii-sports. The Wii is running about a 3 tie-in ratio, so the software sales are there.

Here's the latest Media Create for Japan...

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=151593

The Wii has a 1.2 million unit lead on the PS3, which has yet to break a million units in Japan.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2007, 02:57:00 AM by Tebunker » Logged

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2007, 03:10:21 AM »

These numbers are remarkably close to where we were at the same point last generation (ie one console on the market for a year and a half, the other two for five months):  The March 2002 numbers:

PS2: 350k
Xbox: 130k
Cube:  110k

As for my opinion on where everyone is:

PS3:  Sucking wind hard.  Don't see it changing anytime soon barring a price drop either.  Software just isn't there and the next high profile release seems to be Lair in July.  There is blood in the water and I think Sony is in deep trouble.  Even if they get some kickass software out in the second half of the year if perception has already solidified that Sony is a has-been then it isn't going to matter.

Wii:  Still supply constraiined so hard to tell.  Once Wiis sit on the shelf longer than 30 seconds we'll have a better idea how much demand there is remaining.  However for anyone who thinks it's just the Nintendo faithful buying it then think again- the Cube wasn't supply constrained at all and the Wii has already far surpassed the Cube's total at this point in it's lifespan. 

360:  Decent maybe good but no more.  At the same point in it's life the original Xbox sold 160k so 199k is a nice boost over that but it's still not demonstrating market leadership.  Again, it comes down to what MS wants from the platform.  Publically they seem to want to dominate like Sony did last generation but that may be just PR bravado and internally they might have much more realistic goals.  But I'm with Andrew- dropping under 200k in a 5 week month is troubling, especiially with the release of GRAW 2 and Guitar Hero 2 during that timeframe.  I'm *very* interested to see what the Elite does however since it doesn't hit until the end of April, I expect we might see some similarly low numbers for next month's NPD. 
happydog

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2007, 03:14:54 AM »

Quote from: Zimix on April 20, 2007, 02:41:17 AM

David Karakker, senior director of corporate communications at SCEA, said of the figures, "According to NPD data, March 2007 showed a 24% increase in retail dollars generated year-over-year for the PlayStation brand in North America with total sales of $447 million, due in part to the addition of the PS3 platform as well as the strong launch performance of God of War II for PS2 at retail."

Addressing PS3 sales, Karakker wrote "While PS3 saw a month-over-month increase of 2% with sales of 129,638 units, we continued to find ourselves supply constrained in March due primarily to the shift in manufacturing focus to the PS3 PAL version to support the launch of the system in Europe."

I know I could find 42 PS3s in less than an hour. I haven't been in a store that hasn't had them for weeks now. "Supply constrained" is total BS!

LiveTAG: happydog
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2007, 03:17:09 AM »

Quote from: happydog on April 20, 2007, 03:14:54 AM

Quote from: Zimix on April 20, 2007, 02:41:17 AM

I know I could find 42 PS3s in less than an hour. I haven't been in a store that hasn't had them for weeks now. "Supply constrained" is total BS!

Maybe by supply constrained they mean that no retailers are ordering replacemetns! Bah dum dum! I pretty much bought mine as a BR player with the ability to play games.

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2007, 03:33:27 AM »

Quote from: Kobra on April 20, 2007, 01:55:54 AM

I'm just looking at the software sales, I don't see the Wii filling up that catagory.. Lotta Wii owners, not a lot of game buying from the looks of the March list...

Well  it's not surprising since crap wasn't really released for it.  The only two titles in the Top 10 that were from previous months were Wii Play and Diddy Kong Racing.  Last month's top seller, Crackdown, didn't even make it.  Medal of Honor: Vanguard was maybe the most high profile Wii title of the month but the PS2 edition didn't even crack the top 10 so the absence of the Wii edition is hardly surprising.  In general, Wii has had some very good sellers:  Zelda is, of course, a monster hit, Wii Play is doing awesome, and Warioware, Rayman, and Red Steel have all posted very good numbers on the platform. Even Trauma Center has done quite well for an Atlus game.

But if Super Paperio Mario doesn't crack 200k this month then, yeah, that will be concerning. 
StitchJones
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2007, 03:51:43 AM »

Honestly I think we are gonna see a boost in 360 numbers from June to December.  It's been slim pickings in the game department as far as blockbusters.  In the coming months you are gonna see Forza, Blue Dragon, Mass Effect, Bioshock, then GTAIV, Lost Odessy and the big daddy Halo 3.  Right now unless you are a huge Guitar Hero fan you haven't had a reason to buy a 360 in a while.  That's gonna change soon, and every month is gonna see the release of 1-3 possible AAA titles.
Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2007, 04:22:23 AM »

Quote from: StitchJones on April 20, 2007, 03:51:43 AM

Honestly I think we are gonna see a boost in 360 numbers from June to December.  It's been slim pickings in the game department as far as blockbusters.  In the coming months you are gonna see Forza, Blue Dragon, Mass Effect, Bioshock, then GTAIV, Lost Odessy and the big daddy Halo 3.  Right now unless you are a huge Guitar Hero fan you haven't had a reason to buy a 360 in a while.  That's gonna change soon, and every month is gonna see the release of 1-3 possible AAA titles.

Of that list, I think only GTAIV and Halo 3 have the ability to lift the console out of its hardcore niche. Gears of War was released boost last November and while it sold very well, it didn't boost console sales that much. I just don't see those other games doing something that Gears of War couldn't.
Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2007, 04:49:27 AM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey
But I'm with Andrew-

Whoa!  Tongue This is like having God on my side...
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2007, 05:09:13 AM »

Quote from: Andrew Mallon on April 20, 2007, 04:49:27 AM

Quote from: Kevin Grey
But I'm with Andrew-

Whoa!  Tongue This is like having God on my side...

Heh, well make that +2 because I agree with your previous post too.  I expect that most of the titles that Stitch listed will get the standard "360 Game of the Month" 400-500k sales that we've already seen this year for Lost Planet, Crackdown, and GRAW 2 with the exceptions being GTA4, Halo 3, and probably Mass Effect. 

Old Negus

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 20, 2007, 05:20:16 AM »

Quote from: StitchJones on April 20, 2007, 03:51:43 AM

I think the $400 price tag is hurting sales That's just too much for most people. I don't think there's anything particularly "hardcore" about the 360. It has the nice sports games and Uno and other fun little Live games. Plenty of stuff for all sorts of people. The Wii is doing well because it's a decent piece of innovative hardware AND it's $150 less than its closest competitor. The PS3 is doomed as long as it's $600.

I love all the consoles, but it's really hard to ignore price in all this. The big titles will move a few more units, but the cost prohibits the impulse buys.
Eduardo X

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 20, 2007, 05:23:10 AM »

How did they sell that many DSs? That's amazing.

PSN ID: EduardoX
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 20, 2007, 06:38:26 AM »

We have an unprecedented choice these days when it comes to gamers buying choices. You have 4 home systems(since the PS2 doesn't look to be going anywhere), and two handhelds. There's never been choice like that in gaming before.

Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 20, 2007, 06:46:08 AM »

Quote from: Sony Computer Entertainment, lying through their teeth
"According to NPD data, March 2007 showed a 24% increase in retail dollars generated year-over-year for the PlayStation brand in North America with total sales of $447 million, due in part to the addition of the PS3 platform as well as the strong launch performance of God of War II for PS2 at retail. While PS3 saw a month-over-month increase of 2% with sales of 129,638 units, we continued to find ourselves supply constrained in March due primarily to the shift in manufacturing focus to the PS3 PAL version to support the launch of the system in Europe. PSP also witnessed gains in March, up 2% over February with sales of 179,796 units. The price of the PSP Core system was dropped from $199 to $169 in early April, which has received very positive retailer and consumer response. PS2 continued to be a strong performer in March, with unit sales of 279,866. On the software front, we were pleased to see sales increases from February for both the PSP and PS2. PS2 software showed a 29% increase with the launch of God of War II and PSP software demonstrated a 13% jump."

http://biz.gamedaily.com/industry/news/?id=15871

"Sometimes you just have to look reality in the eye...  and deny it."
--Garrison Keillor

JCC

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 20, 2007, 12:20:46 PM »

Quote from: Old Negus on April 20, 2007, 05:20:16 AM

I think the $400 price tag is hurting sales.

I agree with this. The problem with this gen's 2 HD systems is that they are BOTH expensive. People seem to forget that the 360 is priced too high too since the PS3 is priced ridiculously high. I think any price over $300 takes you out of the mainstream. The Wii is overpriced too, but it's in a more manageable zone for the non hardcore. I think M$ really needs to drop the price of the 360 (premium) to $300. Instead they are releasing a $480 model. Brilliant.

EDIT: What I mean by "I think M$ really needs to drop the price of the 360 (premium) to $300." is that if they did that, they would probably immediately be outselling the Wii and increase their lead (which is rapidly shrinking) on it.

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 20, 2007, 12:46:28 PM »

So at 394k for GRAW2, is that considered a niche title? I'm surprised its numbers are so low.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 20, 2007, 01:05:05 PM »

Quote from: ATB on April 20, 2007, 12:46:28 PM

So at 394k for GRAW2, is that considered a niche title? I'm surprised its numbers are so low.

They aren't low at all.  That's the standard 360 "Game of the Month" numbers.  In fact, I think it's shockingly good for GRAW 2 because the buzz on it has been so low I thought the game might have bombed. 
Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 20, 2007, 01:46:58 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on April 20, 2007, 01:05:05 PM

They aren't low at all.  That's the standard 360 "Game of the Month" numbers.  In fact, I think it's shockingly good for GRAW 2 because the buzz on it has been so low I thought the game might have bombed. 

Spoiler for Hiden:
I think it was sarcasm.

icon_wink
Zimix

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 20, 2007, 03:06:17 PM »

biggercup

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: April 20, 2007, 03:30:36 PM »

Hey, don't dis PS3, It's the best DVD & Blueray player that I have. I love watching BlueRay in 1080i resolution!!!
Then again, it is suppose to be a gaming system and....

I love my XBOX360!!!
My fiancee love Wii!!!
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 20, 2007, 03:34:09 PM »

Quote from: Ralph-Wiggum on April 20, 2007, 01:46:58 PM

Spoiler for Hiden:
I think it was sarcasm.

icon_wink

Actually it wasn't.  I assumed 500k or more given a 6 million install base.
Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 20, 2007, 04:19:43 PM »

Quote from: ATB on April 20, 2007, 03:34:09 PM

Spoiler for Hiden:
I think it was sarcasm.

icon_wink

Spoiler for Hiden:
It wasn't sarcasm.

edit: Selling 400K in a month is pretty good. I think 1 million copies over a life-time is the benchmark for having a great selling console game and at 400K in one month 1 million definitely looks to be within reach. For instance, on the original Xbox only 6 games passed the 1 million plateau.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2007, 04:23:52 PM by Ralph-Wiggum » Logged
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 20, 2007, 04:33:30 PM »

That seems like good numbers to me since its essentially a stand alone expansion pack. Its only been 1 year since the last one.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 20, 2007, 04:43:21 PM »

Quote from: Ralph-Wiggum on April 20, 2007, 04:19:43 PM

Quote from: ATB on April 20, 2007, 03:34:09 PM

Spoiler for Hiden:
I think it was sarcasm.

icon_wink

Spoiler for Hiden:
It wasn't sarcasm.

edit: Selling 400K in a month is pretty good. I think 1 million copies over a life-time is the benchmark for having a great selling console game and at 400K in one month 1 million definitely looks to be within reach. For instance, on the original Xbox only 6 games passed the 1 million plateau.

Legs have been a big issue for 360 games.  The culture behind the 360 is very interesting where you have these popular releases (at the rate of about one per month) that the entire community immediately migrates too.  So within a week of these titles being released everyone's friend list is dominated by the latest hottest game, especially those with a large mp component. 

But 3-4 weeks later the next greatest and best thing and is released and the community migrates again.  And now people who perhaps missed the bandwagon on the last game are loathe to pick it up since the playerbase has already moved on.  As silly as it sounds, I think there are people out there who don't want to be the odd man out broadcasting that they are playing Lost Planet while the rest of his/her friends are playing Crackdown.  Especially when those friends can message him in game and say "why are you playing Lost Planet punk?  Grab Crackdown so we can get a coop game together." 

Consequently you're seeing 70+ percent drops in titles' second months.  In the PS2 era, a 400k first month meant a million was almost guaranteed and 1.5 million or more was very likely.  On the 360 a lot of these 400k first month titles are just barely stumbling over the million mark and some aren't going to make it at all.

As an example, Saint's Row did 550k first month which are incredible numbers.  But the following month saw sales of only 80k or something like that. 

Hopefully with the install base increasing games will stabilize a bit though. 
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: April 20, 2007, 04:59:56 PM »

Quote from: Jumangi on April 20, 2007, 04:33:30 PM

That seems like good numbers to me since its essentially a stand alone expansion pack. Its only been 1 year since the last one.

The games are vastly different in feel and function. I don't mean they've changed what it is; they just executed it WAY BETTER. It's not a "same engine - different story" release at all.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: