http://gamingtrend.com
July 23, 2014, 02:05:11 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: March EGM Scores and Rumors  (Read 1382 times)
Hetz
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: February 06, 2007, 12:12:40 AM »

Taken from the Gaming Age Forums:

Reviews

Virtua Fighter 5 (PS3): 9.5, 10, 9.5 (Game of the Month)
NBA Street Homecourt (PS3/360): 9.0, 9.5, 9.0
Crackdown (360): 9, 8.5, 7.5
Battlestations: Midway (360): 7.0, 6.0, 6.5
Fuzion Frenzy 2 (360): 5.0, 2.0, 4.5
Winning Eleven Pro Evolution Soccer 2007 (360): 8.0, 7.5, 8.0
Ar tonelico: Melody of Elemia (PS2): 6.5, 6.0, 6.0
MVP 07 NCAA Baseball (PS2): 6.5, 6.5, 7.0
Diddy Kong Racing DS (DS): 5.0, 6.0, 5.5
Lunar Knights (DS): 9.0, 7.0, 8.0
Monster Kingdom Jewel Summoner (PSP): 6.5, 7.5, 7.0
Valhalla Knights (PSP): 3.5, 4.5, 5.0

Rumors

Square has another MMO Final Fantasy ( la FFXI) in the work for PS2, Xbox 360, and PC. Won't be set in Vana'diel, but rather a world from a previous FF. "Our fanboy hopes say FFVII, but our practical mind says FFXII."

Tekken 6 pushed back until 2008.

Mistwalker planning Blue Dragon 2, depedent on U.S. sales. A DS spin-off is also possible.

Wipeout PS3 to hit in 2007, uses the MotorStorm engine.

Mizuguchi working on a Space Channel 5 follow-up.

EA making a kiddie Madden ("for touchdown tykes").

Indiana Jones game to hit with movie in 2008.

Nice to see that VF5 got Game of the Month. It looks awesome. Good score for Crackdown as well, I am looking forward to that.

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
Eduardo X

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2007, 01:00:42 AM »

Poor Diddy Kong. There is a song in that game that is the best song in a game ever.
Edit: The Snowball Valley song! HOT DAMN it is good. Find it here. I can't even explain why it is so good.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2007, 01:05:01 AM by Eduardo X » Logged

PSN ID: EduardoX
Eduardo X

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2007, 01:02:43 AM »

Also, does Winning Eleven come out tomorrow?  eek
I may have to just purchase that.

PSN ID: EduardoX
depward

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2007, 01:06:11 AM »

Yikes, Monster Kingdom: Jewel Summoner... not the best scores there.

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2007, 01:22:22 AM »

Man, Diddy Kong racing is just getting trashed.  Thought it might be a fun Mario Kart diversion, but I guess not.

My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Doopri

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2007, 01:48:29 AM »

is NBA street really that good?

is ar tonelica not that great? or is that pretty standard fare for "hardcore" rpgs?

hmm maybe an MMO ill jump in on the ground floor - whens the ff game coming out?

and finally - NEW indiana jones movie??? is ford playing indie???
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2007, 03:10:56 AM »

I put very little stock in EGM's reviews, and even less in their RPG reviews.  I wouldn't be worried if they gave an RPG a low score.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
jblank

Always Outnumbered, Never Outgunned

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2007, 03:13:40 AM »

Quote from: EddieA on February 06, 2007, 03:10:56 AM

I put very little stock in EGM's reviews, and even less in their RPG reviews.  I wouldn't be worried if they gave an RPG a low score.

I'm with you and I vehemently disagree with the ratings for Midway, a title I think is deserving of higher scores. In any event, just like with Gamepro, these mags often are poor sources for reviews, and anymore, I put very little stock in them, and I wait for more accepted review sites to weigh in.

XBOX 350 Gamertag = Phobos of Mars
PSN Gamertag = PhobosofMars
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2007, 03:26:12 AM »

Quote from: Gratch on February 06, 2007, 01:22:22 AM

Man, Diddy Kong racing is just getting trashed.  Thought it might be a fun Mario Kart diversion, but I guess not.

Game Trailers gave it a pretty good score.  Sounded exactly like that- "fun Mario Kart diversion."
jblank

Always Outnumbered, Never Outgunned

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2007, 03:27:24 AM »

I'm not giving up on it yet either Kevin, it sounds exactly like what I want it to be.

XBOX 350 Gamertag = Phobos of Mars
PSN Gamertag = PhobosofMars
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2007, 03:44:39 AM »

Quote from: depward on February 06, 2007, 01:06:11 AM

Yikes, Monster Kingdom: Jewel Summoner... not the best scores there.

i think i'll take my chances, thank you smile (that goes for ar tonelico & probably valhalla knights, too)...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2007, 04:46:55 AM »

Quote from: Doopri on February 06, 2007, 01:48:29 AM

I've played the demo about 20 times and enjoy it quite a bit.  Though, I've found the Street games are only fun for a while and the charm wears off pretty quickly.  However, with friends the Street games have provided me with some really fun multiplayer experiences.  Now if EA would let more than one human player play on each team online I'd be even more interested.

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2007, 05:06:21 AM »

Quote from: GatorFavre on February 06, 2007, 04:46:55 AM

I've played the demo about 20 times and enjoy it quite a bit.  Though, I've found the Street games are only fun for a while and the charm wears off pretty quickly.  However, with friends the Street games have provided me with some really fun multiplayer experiences.  Now if EA would let more than one human player play on each team online I'd be even more interested.

On the other hand, the first NBA Street is the only sports game I have ever played through to completion.  I wasn't wowed by the demo, but I do keep coming back to it.  Those scores give me a lot of hope.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2007, 05:48:34 AM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on February 06, 2007, 05:06:21 AM

Quote from: GatorFavre on February 06, 2007, 04:46:55 AM

On the other hand, the first NBA Street is the only sports game I have ever played through to completion.  I wasn't wowed by the demo, but I do keep coming back to it.  Those scores give me a lot of hope.

Is there a 360 demo? Also-I usually dislike EGM reviews.
Brendan

two oh sickness

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2007, 05:51:42 AM »

Quote from: Calvin on February 06, 2007, 05:48:34 AM

Is there a 360 demo? Also-I usually dislike EGM reviews.

Yeah - came out last week.  Lets you play Nuggets v. Pistons in Venice Beach in a first to 7 game. 

It has AI on the Nuggets, which gives me some hope that they'll have my Warriors represented correctly w/ Al Harrington (rather than Mike Dunleavy  icon_eek).
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2007, 06:55:20 AM »

i love the news about another Final fantasy MMO...but i just cant afford another one,i pay for FF11 already,and xbox live,and internet..and it all adds up,as i suppose it does for everyone else

but heres the thing,if you could play that game THROUGH playonline...because it is POL that we pay for..and then they could have as many games as they want ...kinda in the same sense as being able to play online with any game through xbox live ...if you know what i mean...but i doubt that would happen

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2007, 11:50:43 AM »

I don't get that at all. We've been playing it here for a week and it seems WAY better than mario kart.
There's so much variety with DKR.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
HankRaptor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2007, 01:38:34 PM »

Im glad to see Crackdown has done well. Im on the fence on this one.

Wii Number 6291 3315 9378 1013
360- HankRaptor
PSN- HankRaptor
Crispin sees what you are doing and he is NONE TOO PLEASED.
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2007, 02:31:13 PM »

Quote from: Misguided on February 06, 2007, 11:50:43 AM

I don't get that at all. We've been playing it here for a week and it seems WAY better than mario kart.

in my opinion, Diddy Kong Racing was a far better game than Mario Kart, but it didn't have the popular name to back it up.  i played the hell out of it on my N64 and eventually beat every goal in the game.  the tracks are more interesting, all the characters drive differently, you get different types of vehicles, and the length of the game is incredible...tons of challenges to finish for 100% completion.  if i had a DS, i'd pick it up in a heartbeat.

Quote from: Eduardo X on February 06, 2007, 01:00:42 AM

Poor Diddy Kong. There is a song in that game that is the best song in a game ever.
Edit: The Snowball Valley song! HOT DAMN it is good. Find it here. I can't even explain why it is so good.

ah yes...i remember that song quite well.  the game was full of great music for the time, but i'll agree that's one of the highlights icon_cool

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2007, 03:59:56 PM »

Quote from: Misguided on February 06, 2007, 11:50:43 AM

Apparently, the big problem with the DS DKR is that they implemented too many touch screen functions that just don't work.  The boss battles and some special levels (balloon bursting tracks, for example...also the annoying "blow" feature resurfaces where you have to blow out torches on a track) require them, but the regular tracks don't.  However, you need to do some of those levels to progress.  Even the IGN review, which sort of liked the game, said these features are first gen DS additions and just don't work.

A few months ago, I would have bought it without hesitation.  Nintendo has always released very polished products.  However, a little game called Mario Hoops 3 on 3 now has me much more hesitant.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2007, 06:15:43 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on February 06, 2007, 03:59:56 PM

Apparently, the big problem with the DS DKR is that they implemented too many touch screen functions that just don't work.  The boss battles and some special levels (balloon bursting tracks, for example...also the annoying "blow" feature resurfaces where you have to blow out torches on a track) require them, but the regular tracks don't.  However, you need to do some of those levels to progress.  Even the IGN review, which sort of liked the game, said these features are first gen DS additions and just don't work.

And this crap is in a racing title? What a joke.

I like how you say that IGN states 'first gen DS additions'. With Rare being so 'behind the times' due to them releasing a title every 2 years (biggrin ), this doesn't really surprise me in the end.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2007, 07:49:28 PM »

I got my issue today, and EGM will have Ratchet & Clank for the PS3 as its cover story next month  icon_biggrin  Also, the rumor about the new FF MMO says that it's coming to the PS3, 360, and PC, not the PS2.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2007, 09:01:00 PM »

Quote from: EddieA on February 08, 2007, 07:49:28 PM

I got my issue today, and EGM will have Ratchet & Clank for the PS3 as its cover story next month  icon_biggrin  Also, the rumor about the new FF MMO says that it's coming to the PS3, 360, and PC, not the PS2.

According to some pretty widespread news today one of Square's head honchos said 360 and PC with PS3 a maybe.
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2007, 01:09:09 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on February 06, 2007, 06:15:43 PM

I like how you say that IGN states 'first gen DS additions'. With Rare being so 'behind the times' due to them releasing a title every 2 years (biggrin ), this doesn't really surprise me in the end.

I think one of the bigger issues is that when compared to Mario Kart DS, which actually had new things in it, including new tracks as well as the classic ones, Diddy Kong Racing is effectively the exact same game it was 10 years ago without much new or good added into the mix. I would've much rather preferred them to take the original and use that as a template/base to create an entirely new game.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2007, 01:12:06 PM by Tebunker » Logged

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2007, 01:24:53 PM »

Quote from: Tebunker on February 09, 2007, 01:09:09 PM

I think one of the bigger issues is that when compared to Mario Kart DS, which actually had new things in it, including new tracks as well as the classic ones, Diddy Kong Racing is effectively the exact same game it was 10 years ago without much new or good added into the mix. I would've much rather preferred them to take the original and use that as a template/base to create an entirely new game.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2007, 02:06:48 PM »

Ok, the balloon bursting challenges I've done were not hard at all and actually quite fun. I'd like to do more of those.
Each vehicle has a unique method of boosting to start the race. With karts you spin a wheel, with planes a prop.
With the hovercraft you blow in the mic. It is a bit annoying to have to have the stylus handy at the race start, but
I think the reviews are making too much of this. In no way should this be considered a major issue, IMO.

I don't like Kart racers but have had fun with it.
If you like kart racers, I'd think this is a no-brainer.

There are some weird "touch challenges" though that I haven't figured out how to do just yet.
The one I've tried (my son has played more than I have) involves spinning a wheel on screen and drawing
lines to steer the car. This seemed much more out of place than the balloon challenge, but it is strictly optional.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: February 09, 2007, 02:12:41 PM »

Quote from: Misguided on February 09, 2007, 02:06:48 PM

There are some weird "touch challenges" though that I haven't figured out how to do just yet.
The one I've tried (my son has played more than I have) involves spinning a wheel on screen and drawing lines to steer the car. This seemed much more out of place than the balloon challenge, but it is strictly optional.

One review states that to get a boost at the starting line, you need to either spin a wheel or move a lever up and down on the touch screen. Thus, one of your hands is busy doing that when the race starts, thus keeping you from either steering or hitting the gas for a second or two while your hand moves back into position. Great idea!

NOT.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: