http://gamingtrend.com
July 22, 2014, 09:43:45 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: March Console Software and Hardware Figures  (Read 3028 times)
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: April 15, 2005, 08:26:11 PM »

For those who find interest in game sales (blatantly stolen from Gaming-Age):

HARDWARE

PS2: 495,000
Xbox: 227,000
GC: 94,000
PSP: 620,000

SOFTWARE

Top-selling games by platform (Retail sales $)

PS2 Title Publisher Projected $'s Projected Units
1 GRAN TURISMO 4 Sony $ 26,165,740 532,219
2 FIGHT NIGHT ROUND 2 Electronic Arts $ 12,891,970 261,974
3 DEVIL MAY CRY 3 Capcom $ 12,467,640 252,006
4 GOD OF WAR Sony $ 10,612,730 214,028
5 MVP BASEBALL 2005 Electronic Arts $ 9,917,162 337,736

Xbox Title Publisher Projected $'s Projected Units
1 SW: REPUBLIC COMMANDO LucasArts $ 10,644,190 214,923
2 FIGHT NIGHT ROUND 2 Electronic Arts $ 9,902,274 201,638
3 BROTHERS ARMS:HILL 30 Ubi Soft $ 8,670,007 186,542
4 T.CLANCY:CHAOS THEORY Ubi Soft $ 8,157,217 163,766
5 MVP BASEBALL 2005 Electronic Arts $ 5,456,600 185,589

GC Title Publisher Projected $'s Projected Units
1 STAR FOX: ASSAULT Nintendo $ 3,899,296 80,389
2 RESIDENT EVIL 4 Capcom $ 2,617,991 52,717
3 DK: JUNGLE W/BONGOS Nintendo $ 2,125,341 39,242
4 MARIO PARTY 6 W/MIC Nintendo $ 2,025,914 40,850
5 NBA STREET V3 Electronic Arts $ 1,996,246 41,134

Handhelds Title Publisher Projected $'s Projected Units
PSP NEED SPEED:UND RIVALS Electronic Arts $ 5,973,790 121,293
PSP TWISTED METAL:HEAD ON Sony $ 5,034,513 127,403
PSP UNTOLD LEGENDS:BTHRHD Sony $ 4,078,071 103,010
NDS WARIOWARE: TOUCHED! Nintendo $ 3,909,432 113,380
PSP METAL GEAR ACID Konami $ 3,483,612 88,362
Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2005, 08:59:06 PM »

Star Fox Assault is the #1 Gamecube game?  Ugh, that game is crap...

Xbox Live tag: Dimmona
DS WiFi Friends Codes
Wii Code: 6091 9321 3340 8417
Xbox360 Gamer Card
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2005, 09:17:18 PM »

Ouch.  The GC is an order of magnitude less than the others.

Where's the DS/GBA in all of this?

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2005, 09:19:10 PM »

Quote from: "-Lord Ebonstone-"
Ouch.  The GC is an order of magnitude less than the others.

Where's the DS/GBA in all of this?

Numbers weren't given.  Estimates have the DS somewhere between 100k and 200k.  Don't know about the GBA.
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2005, 09:24:47 PM »

Man, the Cube is getting shellacked. I'm glad I jumped ship and joined the winning team by buying a PS2. Ha ha, Nintendo is 4 te kids. PS2 is for mature individuals like myself. Now if you'll excuse me, I think that it's time to kill a hooker and rob her. That's grown-up thinking.

Now Playing: GTA - San Andreas [PS2]
Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2005, 10:08:59 PM »

XUHBOXU....POWER ON!!!

Go ps2!

I really have no clue what the point of this was, since its not really like the PS2 needs my vocal support smile
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2005, 02:59:38 AM »

Also,

Year-Over-Year Changes:

Playstation 2 +67%
Xbox +14%
GameCube -57%
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2005, 01:31:03 PM »

Nintendo's now half assed support of the Cube is pathetic.

I was reading on IGN, and they asked Nintendo what's up with PS2 and XBox getting about 30 in games in March and April and the Cube only getting like 6, and all Nintendo could say is that this was allways the slow period, a lot of those games were pushed back from Holiday release, and that they were focussing on the DS at the moment. Just halfassed excuses.

I wouldn't have a problem if it wasn't for the fact that the talking head actually seemed to believe this.

If those numbers don't tell Nintendo to get their heads out of their asses when it comes to consistent releases then they won't last very long next gen no matter how "revolutionary" their next system is.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
JayG
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2005, 03:12:09 PM »

Doesn't look like there is an awful lot coming out for the DS either. Sorry, but Dog simulations just don't excite me as much as they used to. I'd really regret buying a DS except for the fact that my wife loves Yoshi Touch and Go.
Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2005, 03:30:43 PM »

What is even more disconcerting is that several games, including Virtua Quest, that I was looking forward to have just disappeard.  The're on the current demo disk that is appearing in stores but no where in the computers.

*sigh*

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Aunt Wu: Care to hear your fortune, handsome?
Iroh: At my age there is really only one big surprise left, and I'd just as soon leave it a mystery.
Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2005, 03:49:04 PM »

I thought Virtua Quest was released already?  I remember reading reviews on it that were less than kind...

Xbox Live tag: Dimmona
DS WiFi Friends Codes
Wii Code: 6091 9321 3340 8417
Xbox360 Gamer Card
Dreamshadow

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2005, 05:10:07 PM »

http://www.consolegold.com/GameInfo/game/1964.html

PS2 version was released from what I can tell.  *shrug* The demo was fun for beating up on bad guys.  It may well have been a poor game..I don't know.

Tom "Dreamshadow" Tjarks
Aunt Wu: Care to hear your fortune, handsome?
Iroh: At my age there is really only one big surprise left, and I'd just as soon leave it a mystery.
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2005, 05:20:36 PM »

It came for the Cube as well, but it's not even worth mentioning. Blech...

The DS actually looks like it will have one or two good titles a month from here on out, which is good for me as portable gaming isn't a focus, eventhough I will snap up a PSP after the first price drop or when more games hit. I can name about 10 games total on the DS that have been announced for this year and that I know enough about to say that I want them. However onthe Cube there are too many questions about games that have been announced to get interested or excited about them. Sure Nintendo has a great amount of solid looking games slated for June and beyond, but we don't know nearly as much about them as we should, and if I didn't have a second console I'd be pretty upset. Atleast I can catch up on the library of backlogged games.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2005, 05:36:19 PM »

I was curious so I went to EB's page and looked at how many forhcoming games EB has listed for each console.

PS2 - 94 games. (nice)
X-Box - 86 games. (I found this to be VERY high considering they are releasing the X-Box 360, THIS year. Well done.)
Gamecube - 22 games. (Seriously.)

#'s aren't everything of course. I am not sure how many of those 94 or 86 games I would actually want. But still, Nintendo doesn't even appear to be trying other than a couple of big titles.

Nintendo, you are a tough company to love.

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
JayG
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2005, 06:42:57 PM »

I wish I could 1 or 2 DS titles a month that interest me. Interactive puppys ( and not the kind I want), Pac Man games, Space Invaders, programs to increase intelligence ( I get enough of that with the experiments they conduct upon me, hey it's a job), Mario this and that (no wonder Plumbers are always late), a game where you play a lawyer instead of trying to wipe the scum out, and the only game I'm looking forward in the near future is a game called Egg Monster heroes. (Sending the wife in to buy that)
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2005, 06:55:50 PM »

Upcoming DS releases that I will buy:

Castlevania
Advance Wars
Another Code
Final Fantasy III
Boktai III
Metroid Hunters

as well as the inevitable Mario, Zelda, and Fire Emblem titles.
JayG
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2005, 07:09:47 PM »

I look forward to FF3 myself, but I know nothing about the original title. Is it a story based FF similar to later Final Fantasy's, or is it pointless wandering like the dreadfull GBA versions of FF1 and 2. What use does it make of the dual screen, and is it really worth paying full price for?
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2005, 07:17:30 PM »

Quote from: "JayG"
I look forward to FF3 myself, but I know nothing about the original title. Is it a story based FF similar to later Final Fantasy's, or is it pointless wandering like the dreadfull GBA versions of FF1 and 2. What use does it make of the dual screen, and is it really worth paying full price for?

No idea on the dual screen- nothing more than an announcement has been made so it remains to see how much of the game is being remade/reworked.

Its a deifinite progression storywise from FF 1 & 2.  Not necessarily at the level of FF 4 & 6 but probably more story focused than FF 5.  It was the final FF game Square made for the NES and they really went all out for the time.
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2005, 04:46:44 AM »

Lost in Blue and Another Code are all you need for the next year to make you know that the DS is worth it, when you add in the other games like Advanced Wars, Animal Crossing and an Original Mario Brothers the system is a lock. Add on top of that online multiplay with games like Mario Kart and Animal Crossing and it's even better.

Nintendo could be the dominant company with the type of games they release and the retarded fanbase that follows them, but they seem content with the profits they make, and it's a sad thing. Sony and MS aren't near as creative, and NOA isn't near the business that Sony and MS are. Hell MS is the company that DROPPED! Psychonauts!

-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2005, 05:00:13 AM »

Quote from: "Tebunker"
Sony and MS aren't near as creative...
It's why they're successful.  They don't have their head in the clouds like Nintendo does.

Nintendo makes some bitchin' games, no doubt.  But its hardware continues to prove that it has a very weak understanding of the modern industry.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2005, 05:45:04 AM »

But its hardware continues to prove that it has a very weak understanding of the modern industry.

Are you referring to the Cube or the DS? 'Cause the Cube is a little powerhouse, so I'd blame any failure Nintendo's had with this generation on Nintendo as a company, not Nintendo as a hardware developer.

Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2005, 06:37:14 AM »

Quote from: "Dafones"
But its hardware continues to prove that it has a very weak understanding of the modern industry.

Are you referring to the Cube or the DS? 'Cause the Cube is a little powerhouse, so I'd blame any failure Nintendo's had with this generation on Nintendo as a company, not Nintendo as a hardware developer.
Both, really.  The Cube is powerful but misunderstood.  Plus it's yet another example of Nintendo ignoring the trend of current digital media (though in this case it didn't hurt them that badly).

Also, purple lunchbox != good launch design.

I guess what I'm asking is, if Nintendo weren't making games for their systems, would anyone be buying them?

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2005, 06:53:36 AM »

Please explain "powerful but misunderstood."  The Cube is quite powerful (as Resident Evil 4 can attest) and when companies bother to port games to it they are generally between Xbox and PS2 with regards to visuals which would fall right in line with each system's relative power and more often than not support progressive scan.  In fact I'd say the Cube is quite a little engineering marvel considering all the power it fits in such a tiny case.  

Design asthetics are different of course but totally unrelated to power.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2005, 06:56:12 AM »

I guess what I'm asking is, if Nintendo weren't making games for their systems, would anyone be buying them?

That's actually something Microsoft will have to deal with next-gen.  They are woefully lacking in marketable first party franchises to carry forward and it may no longer be the preferred console for multi-platform games.  They've effectively got Halo, PGR, and Fable.  PGR 2 had a big sales dropoff from the first game despite the inclusion of a stellar Live component and Fable's sales plummeted by an order of magnitude after a stellar first month, possibly due to poor word of mouth.
JayG
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2005, 11:32:18 AM »

I don't know. Halo is inexplicably popular, KOTOR 3 will likely be XBox 2 exclusive, Bioware are using the Unreal engine to produce next gen XBox games, they have a lot of japanise developers, in fact I think Microsoft is doing everything right. Plus they are looking after the European market, a market that Sony and Nintendo couldn't care less about, but which is bigger then Japans.  Sony have pissed off a lot of developers with regards to the P3, whereas Microsoft is doing everything possible to help. A lot of European Publishers are annoyed about the lack of info about a PSP Euro release, and I think that Sony are way too complacent. I really think Microsoft are in a great position thanks to Sony's arrogence.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2005, 05:37:32 PM »

Actually I think there is a strong possibility KOTOR 3 will be multi-platform.  KOTOR 1&2 *have* to be Xbox exclusive- they require the technology that Xbox brings (specifically the hard-drive).  This won't be the case next gen.  Both PS3 and Xbox 2 will be perfectly capable of doing KOTOR-style RPGs.  I think Lucasarts will be more interested in having a broad base of consumers so it only makes sense for them to go multiplatform.  

Couple of caveats though- if they can get Bioware to develop they may demand it to be an Xbox 2 exclusive due to their excellent relationship with MS.  I'm not sure sure Bioware will be developing though.  They've already got a lot on their plate and KOTOR 3 was actually being internally developed at Lucasarts last summer when their round of layoffs hit.  And MS might just pony up the extra cash for an exclusive.

As for developer support- devs *will* give Sony tremendous support.  There is no question.  Whether they like developing for Sony has nothing to do with it- most will go where the largest market is.  Even if Sony doesn't have the commanding lead it has this gen, I don't think anyone in their right mind thinks PS3 is going to flop so I expect both PS3 and Xbox 2 to have full third party support.  Plus, Sony dev tools have supposedly dramatically improved with the PSP and I expect that to carry over to PS3 developent.  

PS3 will still be the premiere platform for Japanese titles.  MS may line up *better* Japanese support than this gen, but there is no way the Xbox 2 makes any sort of significant impact in marketshare over there.  Consequently, developers of small to mid range products will have to develop for the PS3 if they hope to be profitable.  Even for the major ones- do you think Square-Enix would put their companies at risk by making Final Fantasy or Dragon Quest Xbox 2 exclusive?

Got a link about European Publishers being annoyed?  Haven't heard that.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 17, 2005, 05:57:28 PM »

And to clarify my original point so this doesn't get into a silly console wars pissing match:

Both Xbox 2 and PS3 are going to have excellent third party support.  There is no doubt of that.  And with similar features I think most devs are going to create tools and engines that make multiplatform games nearly identical from one to to the other.  

What LE commented though was  "I guess what I'm asking is, if Nintendo weren't making games for their systems, would anyone be buying them?"

and to extrapolate this to next-gen, if the majority of games are mutl-platform and are nearly identical in audio and visuals (which isn't the case this gen) then what's really going to separate MS and Sony from one another?  First party and third party exclusives.  

I think MS has done a poor job in this area this gen as far as sales go.  They've had excellent games quality wise but they have very few franchises with real sales potential behind them to carry forward.  Almost every sequel to an exclusive franchise has dropped dramatically in sales.  

MS is smart and they know this is a weakness and I'm sure they will change their marketing focus next gen to get some of these great games to more consumers.
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 17, 2005, 08:48:48 PM »

What I've always wondered/dreamed of, now that we have three viable home consoles, is if a company would ever dare sell their console for dirt cheap, but bump up the price of each game and increase the royalties. This way, every player would (ideally) have one of each console, and the money would roll in through the games sold. There's got to be a magic price point where the average user would pick up more than one console while paying a little more for the games, and have this as profitable for the hardware companies.

Kind of like the cheap razor blade handle with expensive blades setup.

Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
Graham
Managing Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: April 18, 2005, 02:51:49 AM »

Quote from: "Dafones"
What I've always wondered/dreamed of, now that we have three viable home consoles, is if a company would ever dare sell their console for dirt cheap, but bump up the price of each game and increase the royalties. This way, every player would (ideally) have one of each console, and the money would roll in through the games sold. There's got to be a magic price point where the average user would pick up more than one console while paying a little more for the games, and have this as profitable for the hardware companies.

Kind of like the cheap razor blade handle with expensive blades setup.

Look at the Gamecube.  It sold at $200 when it first came out, $100 less than the PS2 and Xbox.  Their games have been the same price.  Yet, the GC has lacked in sales here in the US.  With your theory, the GC should be flying off the shelves.  The GC does have its issues.  Price definitely isn't one of them.

Partial Owner of the World Champion Green Bay Packers
Chrisoc13
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 18, 2005, 04:27:43 AM »

Despite what people say about the cube, I really love it. I love my cube to death. Of course, I also have an xbox, a PSP (taken a lot of playing time) and a PS2 (as of yesterday smile ). I pretty much get enough games no matter what, so I dont need lots of games, and the games that do come out for the cube are great.
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: April 18, 2005, 04:48:52 AM »

I'll believe a viable XBox2 when I see it.  I think Microsoft is going to lose alot of 'street cred' or whatnot when their system goes from being the most powerful on the market to one of the weakest.  To me, Microsoft is still trying to break into the console market.  I only expect the XBox to be a viable, unique platform the generation after next.

As for Nintendo, I've really lost my faith.  After the shoddy N64 and the shoddy-if-only-because-no-one-will-touch-it GCN, I have very little hope that Nintendo will release some super-de-duper system that everyone flocks to and which gets as much dev support as a Sony system.  Nintendo is still very much seen as a kiddie company, and with the demographic changing from children to teens/young adults like it has in the past few years, devs are still going to snub Nintendo and their 'old' ways.

I just can't see Nintendo bouncing back from two lackluster console systems in a row.  Not to say they're going to die, per se, but I think they'd be wise to re-focus their efforts on the handheld market and fight Sony for all they're worth while they still can.  Of course, if they keep trying to out-flank the market with duds like the Virtual Boy, the E-Reader, and the DS, instead of just coming to terms with what the market has become and taking the bull by the horns, so to speak, their days are certainly numbered.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 18, 2005, 07:07:21 AM »

Graham, the Cube's performance pretty much makes my point. The cheaper the console is, the more the games make the difference. Nintendo just isn't selling games like MS and Sony are. I would like to see a market where buying the console isn't the plunge that it is now, where it doesn't force an "allegiance" to a particular brand just because a gamer can only afford one of the three. I wish I'd had each console right from the get go, and had been free to buy whatever games really interested me. I'd guess that it'd be fairly evenly spread amongst the three - but that's my gaming preferences.

Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
JayG
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 18, 2005, 01:57:36 PM »

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=58674

But Moore made it clear that Microsoft will fight Sony all the way in the battle for next-gen supremacy. "We're the thought leader in [the current] generation," he said.

You'll never beat the THOUGHT LEADER!!!!
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 18, 2005, 03:31:29 PM »

Thought leader is definitely one of the stupider things I've heard recently.

Disappointed to hear that it will only be a "sneak peek" of the games.  I had assumed with 30 minutes (minus commericals) they would put more focus on the, you know, games.
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: April 18, 2005, 11:10:23 PM »

Thought leader?  How is making a PC-In-A-Box leading this enigmatic 'thought?'

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: