http://gamingtrend.com
August 29, 2014, 06:56:50 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Man.. so many FPSes.. Which ones make it home?  (Read 1693 times)
ElijahPrice
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: February 28, 2005, 11:06:26 PM »

So, there are a handful of FPSes coming out over the next two months.  Probably have enough for 3 of them, think more might be a bit crazy.  Which ones?

Project Snowblind - OUT
Brothers in Arms - March 1/15
Time Splitters 3 - March 21
DOOM III - April 4
Area 51 - April 25

...there are a few more that could be added like FEAR, but lets keep PC out of this as much as we can... I am hurt by my PC being old and wrinkled.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2005, 11:12:32 PM »

Quote from: "ElijahPrice"
So, there are a handful of FPSes coming out over the next two months.  Probably have enough for 3 of them, think more might be a bit crazy.  Which ones?

Project Snowblind - OUT
Brothers in Arms - March 1/15
Time Splitters 3 - March 21
DOOM III - April 4
Area 51 - April 25

...there are a few more that could be added like FEAR, but lets keep PC out of this as much as we can... I am hurt by my PC being old and wrinkled.

Personally, I think you are making a mistake if you neglect Republic Commando. I loved the XBOX and PC demos. So for me:
Republic Commando: BUY-probably PC.
Brothers in Arms: MUST BUY. Not sure, maybe XBox, since so many people here are getting it that way.
Doom 3-sticking to PC
Snowblind-RENT
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2005, 12:18:00 AM »

I totally agree with Rage on every game he listed.  That is the exact same way I am going.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2005, 04:01:41 AM »

Honestly I'd bump Doom 3 to a rental at best.  It does have its fair share of fans but its one of those rare games thats longer than it needs to be.  Though I've read a few reports that they may have tightened up the single player which in this case may be a good thing.  Remove the incredible eye-candy advantage that the PC version had and I can't help but think the Xbox version will be a pretty average shooter.  

Snowblind reportedly has only 10 hours of single player content (although evidently its very fun content) so  a rental might also be a good call there.  

Brothers in Arms looks very promising though Gearbox's previous efforts have been a bit mixed.  I'll be waiting for reviews but hoping that it delivers on its promise.  It looks to be the rare military game that has the potential to break the rut the genre has been in since Medal of Honor: Allied Assault IMO.

Agree with Rage on Republic Commando- sounds like Lucasarts really came through on this one.  

Area 51 has gotten good notices at trade shows and has some fans of its recent demo (though I honestly failed to see what the magic is).  

TimeSplitters 3 certainly has potential.  I didn't care for the previous 2 very much but I loved Second Sight (from the same developer) and I'm hoping they incorporate some of the excellent narrative elements from SS into TS3.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2005, 06:30:28 AM »

Quote from: "Kevin Grey"
Honestly I'd bump Doom 3 to a rental at best.  It does have its fair share of fans but its one of those rare games thats longer than it needs to be.  Though I've read a few reports that they may have tightened up the single player which in this case may be a good thing.  Remove the incredible eye-candy advantage that the PC version had and I can't help but think the Xbox version will be a pretty average shooter.  

Snowblind reportedly has only 10 hours of single player content (although evidently its very fun content) so  a rental might also be a good call there.  

Brothers in Arms looks very promising though Gearbox's previous efforts have been a bit mixed.  I'll be waiting for reviews but hoping that it delivers on its promise.  It looks to be the rare military game that has the potential to break the rut the genre has been in since Medal of Honor: Allied Assault IMO.

Agree with Rage on Republic Commando- sounds like Lucasarts really came through on this one.  

Area 51 has gotten good notices at trade shows and has some fans of its recent demo (though I honestly failed to see what the magic is).  

TimeSplitters 3 certainly has potential.  I didn't care for the previous 2 very much but I loved Second Sight (from the same developer) and I'm hoping they incorporate some of the excellent narrative elements from SS into TS3.

I want to make ONE disagreement about this post-I think the rut was created by the mediocre MOH expansions. The first MOH: Allied Assault was a wonderful leap forward for real-word shooters, especially WW2 games, and was fantastic at the time, but I think the genre made a huge, wonderful evolutionary jump at the same time with the more realistic Hidden and Dangerous 2, and the perfection of the arcadey-Call of Duty. I agree that there is a rut in real world shooters in general, and I agree completely that BIA looks to be the game to break us out of this-I just wanted to add my support for those other games smile

I wish I could decide on Brothers in Arms PC or XBOX. It is a must buy, I just cannot decide the platform.
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2005, 06:35:28 AM »

Check the reviews on Republic Commando : 6-7 hours single player campaign.  So, unless you see it being a big online mutliplayer game . . .

Brothers in Arms is my only must buy on that list.  Already got Doom 3 on PC last summer, not a fan of TimeSplitters, wait and see on Area 51.

Roger: And you should know, I have no genitals.
Syndey: That's alright.  I have both.

- American Dad
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2005, 07:09:28 AM »

Quote from: "Sarkus"
Check the reviews on Republic Commando : 6-7 hours single player campaign.  So, unless you see it being a big online mutliplayer game . . .

Brothers in Arms is my only must buy on that list.  Already got Doom 3 on PC last summer, not a fan of TimeSplitters, wait and see on Area 51.

I didnt see 6-7 hours anywhere-I heard around 10 hours from every review I read. If you specifically have read that, please provide the links so I can rent instead of spending 50 smackers-I do not see it as a big multiplayer draw, not with BIA coming out as well. I really would appreciate it if you could back up the length comment, because 6-7 hours will likely take an experienced FPSer like me more like 5, and thats ridiculous.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2005, 07:54:47 AM »

Quote from: "Rage"
I want to make ONE disagreement about this post-I think the rut was created by the mediocre MOH expansions.

Yeah, I wasn't trying to take anything away from Allied Assault- it was a fantastic game at the time but unfortunately its incredible success has lead to a string of carbon copy, war as a Theme Park, clones.  Call of Duty was effectively the Allied Assault D-Day Level copied ad-naseum and every other entry and offshoot in both series, along with games like Men of Valor,  seems to become more and more chained to overly scripted setpieces stolen directly from big-budget Hollywood productions.
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2005, 03:34:10 PM »

i'll probably get Project Snowblind and Doom III since i prefer monsters and sci-fi to army combat.  i'd have to play the Area 51 demo again, i gave it a quick look and was unimpressed, but will try it again if there are favorable reports here.  Timesplitters 3, nah, unless it looks like it's better than 2 - for me, TS 2 was one of those games that you enjoy while you're playing, but you just stop one day and couldn't care less if you finish.

as for length of play - i'm  not sure if i envy the folks who can finish a "ten hour game" in... well, ten hours - or if you should envy me!  i have no memory and no sense of direction, so i wander around lost, explore every inch of every section, and generally get at least four times the value from every game.  so Snowblind will probably last as long for me as Doom 3 will last for the rest of you.  the word "rental" isn't even in my dictionary.

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!"
- I don't remember who said it, and probably neither do they...
Driver
Gaming Trend Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2005, 03:47:56 PM »

I'm all about Doom 3 for Xbox, if only for the SE with all the previous Dooms.
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2005, 04:12:31 PM »

It's third-person, but you absolutely must play Mercenaries. No other game out there right now has this much destructive fun and eye candy. If you want all my thoughts including praise and gripes, then check out my review. I'm just saying you'll miss out if you don't at least give this one a whirl too.

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
ElijahPrice

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2005, 07:35:03 PM »

Heh... WBS - I got mercenaries, don't worry.

Rage - You know what, Republic Commando slipped through my radar.  I will go check it out now.  However, I have such bad experiences with Star Wars games (personally), I have never been able to get into them.

Grey - You make good points and I agree on your strategy.  Particularly, the draw of TS3 because of Second Sight, that was a CG recommendation that I really enjoyed and hope that they use in TS3.  But I think that will wait for reviews or for a price drop.

DOOM III is unfortunate because I couldn't play the PC version so I was looking forward to the Xbox release.  But I have only heard lukewarm responses from most gamers around these boards.  Unfortunate, but anyone think it is worth a purchase IF I haven't played the PC version?

Project Snowblind for some reason has no draw on me.  Has anyone had a notable experience playing it?

Following up BIA is Area 51 IMO.  I have played the demo and though the first time was a learning experience (actually got killed several times in a demo!) after playing through it a few more times I started to understand it and it became a lot more fun.  One of the draws was the on-the-edge of my seat gameplay where I was always running and jumping, shooting and moving rather than more sneak and hide GR2 games.

So I think with the spacing of the games it looks like BIA, DOOM III, Area 51, and then I need to look into Republic (Release Date?).  But I am still a little hesitant.
Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2005, 07:36:39 PM »

I would get Brothers In Arms but I'm worried because I haven't seen any reviews. With the game shipping today and no reviews yet I generally take it to mean that the publisher didn't send out any review copies, which is a bad sign.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2005, 08:42:52 PM »

Quote from: "Andrew Mallon"
I would get Brothers In Arms but I'm worried because I haven't seen any reviews. With the game shipping today and no reviews yet I generally take it to mean that the publisher didn't send out any review copies, which is a bad sign.

I was about to make a psot about this last night but I got too tired. Every other game has had an exclusive early review, usually at IGN nowadays. Snowblind was several days early, Republic Commando about a week early, DMC3 a few days earler, GT4 early, etc. Brothers in Arms may not be a GT4 or DMC3 level release, but for us shooter fans it is top of the pops and there have been NO early reviews with teh xbox version out today. This suggests three things to me:
1. the game was finished and rushed into production and the store shelves, minimizing the difference from when the sites get review copies and the stores get the game-there are a few like this in recent memory I can recall.
2. There are some significant problems with the game they are trying to hide.
3. there are some significant spoileresque type things they are trying to not be spoiled (very unlikely).
4. Um, no clue whatelse. This is wierd.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2005, 08:43:22 PM »

Quote from: "ElijahPrice"
Heh... WBS - I got mercenaries, don't worry.

Rage - You know what, Republic Commando slipped through my radar.  I will go check it out now.  However, I have such bad experiences with Star Wars games (personally), I have never been able to get into them.

Grey - You make good points and I agree on your strategy.  Particularly, the draw of TS3 because of Second Sight, that was a CG recommendation that I really enjoyed and hope that they use in TS3.  But I think that will wait for reviews or for a price drop.

DOOM III is unfortunate because I couldn't play the PC version so I was looking forward to the Xbox release.  But I have only heard lukewarm responses from most gamers around these boards.  Unfortunate, but anyone think it is worth a purchase IF I haven't played the PC version?

Project Snowblind for some reason has no draw on me.  Has anyone had a notable experience playing it?

Following up BIA is Area 51 IMO.  I have played the demo and though the first time was a learning experience (actually got killed several times in a demo!) after playing through it a few more times I started to understand it and it became a lot more fun.  One of the draws was the on-the-edge of my seat gameplay where I was always running and jumping, shooting and moving rather than more sneak and hide GR2 games.

So I think with the spacing of the games it looks like BIA, DOOM III, Area 51, and then I need to look into Republic (Release Date?).  But I am still a little hesitant.

Yeah I got mercenaries and didnt care for it too much, in fact if someone wants it for any of these games let me know smile
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2005, 10:32:10 PM »

Every other game has had an exclusive early review, usually at IGN nowadays. Snowblind was several days early, Republic Commando about a week early, DMC3 a few days earler, GT4 early, etc. Brothers in Arms may not be a GT4 or DMC3 level release, but for us shooter fans it is top of the pops and there have been NO early reviews with teh xbox version out today.

Caught this from one of the Ziff Davis reviewers:

I'm nearing the end in single-player and -- I shit you not -- this is the best WWII game I've ever played. Why? It evokes the sort of intensity from the best combat sequences in Saving Private Ryan (dirt, grit, dust and all) or the super-scripted but immersive as hell instances of MoH and CoD, without resorting to woodenly scripted A.I. and events. Everything on the battlefield happens dynamically in real-time. So when your hands are shaking and you're hunkered down behind cover with rounds whizzing over your head, trying to think of a way to out flank that MG-42 typewriter of death, you know the chaos is real, and that you could get splayed any second.

It's just one hard ass firefight after the next. And I love the iron sight view for the guns here. When you pull the trigger, you almost feel the gun kick into your shoulder as you recoil and readjust for your next shot. In other words, it's just like firing a real gun. Best of all, there isn't any bullshit paper and dice rules about "enemies under cover will never die" because if you're a good shot with these M1 rifles, you can take them out. But it's hard, hence, you're better off using actual field tactics.

This game is about 500x better than Full Spectrum Warrior. If you love gritty military shooters, GET READY TO COUGH IT UP for BIA.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2005, 11:09:29 PM »

Quote from: "Kevin Grey"
Every other game has had an exclusive early review, usually at IGN nowadays. Snowblind was several days early, Republic Commando about a week early, DMC3 a few days earler, GT4 early, etc. Brothers in Arms may not be a GT4 or DMC3 level release, but for us shooter fans it is top of the pops and there have been NO early reviews with teh xbox version out today.

Caught this from one of the Ziff Davis reviewers:

I'm nearing the end in single-player and -- I shit you not -- this is the best WWII game I've ever played. Why? It evokes the sort of intensity from the best combat sequences in Saving Private Ryan (dirt, grit, dust and all) or the super-scripted but immersive as hell instances of MoH and CoD, without resorting to woodenly scripted A.I. and events. Everything on the battlefield happens dynamically in real-time. So when your hands are shaking and you're hunkered down behind cover with rounds whizzing over your head, trying to think of a way to out flank that MG-42 typewriter of death, you know the chaos is real, and that you could get splayed any second.

It's just one hard ass firefight after the next. And I love the iron sight view for the guns here. When you pull the trigger, you almost feel the gun kick into your shoulder as you recoil and readjust for your next shot. In other words, it's just like firing a real gun. Best of all, there isn't any bullshit paper and dice rules about "enemies under cover will never die" because if you're a good shot with these M1 rifles, you can take them out. But it's hard, hence, you're better off using actual field tactics.

This game is about 500x better than Full Spectrum Warrior. If you love gritty military shooters, GET READY TO COUGH IT UP for BIA.

Um..wow. Ok, now im tempted to get the XBOX version now so I dont have to wait. CHOICES CHOICES!! Could always get the PC version later and trade the xbox copy smile
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2005, 03:46:02 AM »

Quote from: "Sarkus"

I didnt see 6-7 hours anywhere-I heard around 10 hours from every review I read. If you specifically have read that, please provide the links so I can rent instead of spending 50 smackers-I do not see it as a big multiplayer draw, not with BIA coming out as well. I really would appreciate it if you could back up the length comment, because 6-7 hours will likely take an experienced FPSer like me more like 5, and thats ridiculous.

I'm going off of the Gamespy review (sorry, can't get the link to work).

The reviewer specifically mentions 7 hours.

Roger: And you should know, I have no genitals.
Syndey: That's alright.  I have both.

- American Dad
ElijahPrice

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2005, 05:27:52 PM »

Nice review... makes me psyched.  I am going to trade back GR2 to get it this weekend.  I heard that Area 51 has an OXM demo coming out next month probably which would  be nice since I prefer the Xbox FPSes generally.

Is TS3 ever going to have a demo?
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2005, 06:06:39 PM »

I think I am going to get this later today, if I feel better. I hate being ill.
ElijahPrice

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2005, 05:48:31 PM »

Crap...I didn't realize Republic Commando is out.  I was going to try and get Brothers in Arms this evening and I am still playing Riddick.  Grr, there really isn't enough time to do this all.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: