http://gamingtrend.com
April 18, 2014, 03:07:38 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Man, I'm so turned off by Nintendo right now  (Read 1242 times)
Dafones
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: November 08, 2005, 03:29:54 AM »

I used to be such a Nintendo whore. Honestly. I've always loved the franchises, always been faithful and trusting in the Big N. But I passed by IGN today and saw their review for Mario Party 7. Mario Party Seven. What. The. Hell? I mean, I know they've been Pokemon-ing it for a good long while, but I never thought that it'd become the focus of the company. Now it's Mario this and that. Mario-baseball/kart/golf/soccer. This is the company that touts itself as the bastion of innovation. I don't care if a wireless gyroscopic remote is the most brilliant way to play a game if the game turns out to be Mario Party Revolution. Ugh. I've had a PS2 since the summer and already I wish that I'd picked it up first.

Whatever. It's only video games. But still, Nintendo's had me hooked for something like 18 years - that alone is kind of scary - but I think they may have lost me.

Now Playing: GTA - San Andreas [PS2]
Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
weleavefossils
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2005, 04:30:13 AM »

I wouldn't limit myself to nintendo, but I love their games.  I enjoy mostly RPG/SRPG games, but I have no problem picking up Mario games (Will be getting Mario Kart DS).  

Ive only played Mario Party once with a few friends and it was fun, but I have never attempted to purchase it cause it would rarely be played.  I wouldn't mind playing Mario Baseball since that is the only sports game I would really play for fun. (but due to the drought in money to devote to games, I have to set priorities)

I also love Animal Crossing, Zelda, Pokemon (sometimes)..I know they are more focused for kids, but that isn't always a bad thing.  It's nice to have a break from all the seriousness of Ps2 and Xbox.  I would say my favorite system right now is the DS, due to the variety.

I can understand your concern, but they have more titles that you are giving them credit for.  Look at Fire Emblem for example.  I don't really see them focusing just on Mario titles, but when the branch out to different genres (like sports, racing, or party) they tend to stick to Mario.  

You also may consider the fact that you might of just out grown their audience. Some people seem to be to serious of gamers to enjoy the less challenging.  (Not to be taken as a insult)

Wii 5882-3358-1683-0643
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2005, 01:51:44 PM »

I have been a Nintendo fan for years and still am.  I truly think they are the driving force in innovation in games, not Sony or Microsoft.  When I found out about the touch screen on the DS, I knew Ninendo was onto something and they haven't disappointed since the DS is the console I play most.  Finding out about the controller for the Revolution also has me very excited for the future.  There are many times I wish I hadn't sold my PS2 a long time ago (I did it because I couldn't stand the load times) due to all the great RPGs I have missed out, but I have played many enjoyable games on my Gamecube and I think Nintendo is really going to separate themselves from Sony and Microsoft with the Revolution so that many will buy either a PS3 or XBox 360 and a Revolution.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
warning

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2005, 02:29:09 PM »

I'd never owned a Nintendo console until I bought my GameCube last year.  I guess I've got 20 years or so of liking Nintendo until I get burned out.
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2005, 01:28:00 AM »

So it's Nintendo's fault for making games that people want to buy?

I think Mario Party 7 is ridiculous too, but people eat it up every year. No different than a new Madden each season.

As for the over-use of Mascots in games. I sit in the middle on that one. I wish they'd do more to create new properties, like Pikmin, but I also understand that they use their mascots to get new ideas in games with a lot less financial risk.

Oh yeah, and don't knock the Mario sports if you haven't played them. They're actually pretty damn good. Mario Super Strikers looks HOT, and is being developed by the same team that did Sega Soccer Slam, so I am ALL over it.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2005, 01:43:48 AM »

I am in LOVE with Nintendo right now.  Sure, the GameCube hasnt had shit for a while, but the DS is kicking ass!  Just look at its Holiday lineup!  Plus!  and a great big PLUS  Zelda is right around the corner!

Devil

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2005, 02:53:07 AM »

I'm with you, Dafones! Almost every word!

and

So it's Nintendo's fault for making games that people want to buy?

I'm counting this as "Nintendo is making money"
 biggrin

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2005, 03:03:20 AM »

Nintendo consoles may not have hundreds of games on the shelves, but when they release a good one, it's *really* good.  The Metroid Prime series and Paper Mario alone would justify purchasing the GameCube.

-Autistic Angel
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2005, 11:46:14 PM »

Count it however the heck you want Devil, but when anyone says this about ANY company I find it ridiculous. You're complaining because a publicly owned company makes products that the public in general want to purchase. Darn those companies.

The same things in Dafones post can be said about Sony, 3 Jaks, 3 Ratchets and 3 Sly's in 3 years all with tweaks. Sounds just like Nintendo, but we don't decry them. Hell and now Sony is getting into the spinoffs. Don't kid yourself for a minute if you think that if Sony had kept or bought the rights to Spyro or Crash that we wouldn't have gotten a litany of those games from Sony.

I think my point is why do we only point at one company when they ALL do it. So I think my statement has NOTHING in common to the "Nintendo makes money line".

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2005, 12:25:25 AM »

Quote from: "Autistic Angel"
Nintendo consoles may not have hundreds of games on the shelves, but when they release a good one, it's *really* good.  The Metroid Prime series and Paper Mario alone would justify purchasing the GameCube.

that's my take on nintendo as well - quality over quantity. &, between the cube, gbsp, & now (for me) ds, there seems to always be something very good to great available...

the ps2's still my 'go to' system, i guess, but i'm really happy nintendo's there...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2005, 02:28:57 AM »

Teb, the moment the Cube offers a game like Shadow of the Colossus, I'll jump on it in a second. My beef is that nothing on the Cube appeals to me now. I wait for Twilight Princess desperately, but that's it. It's when I see Mario Party 7 as the big release for the Cube that I get a little grumpy. I have nothing against sequels, but I do have something against a console that doesn't offer any games that I want to play.

It's a personal thing, for sure. And I'm not getting rid of the Cube any time soon. But for the first time I really felt how much of a paper weight the system can be.

Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2005, 03:43:58 AM »

Count it however the heck you want Devil, but when anyone says this about ANY company I find it ridiculous. You're complaining because a publicly owned company makes products that the public in general want to purchase. Darn those companies.

Oh, I think it does relate to "Nintendo is making money" - Why the hell would you make games if the goal wasn't to sell them?

I never said that Nintendo is wrong for making money, or shouldn't make money. They should!! The way to do that is by making games people want to play!

Maybe Dafones and I don't want to play them but we're in the minority and I've got no problem with that.

The issue of constant sequels on the PS2 kinda pales when you compare % of games that are sequels on each system.

The fact that the virtually the same Mario Kart that was on the Super Nintendo is released for the GameCube and now for the DS and soon for the Revolution could be seen as an issue. No problem if you like the game, but what if you don't?

I could give you the big relases slated for the Revolution right now - Look at the big releases for the N64 and the GC, I'll bet they're the same.
Sure you'll get a Pikmin or Eternal Darkness in there, but over the life of the system you know who the heavy hitters are going to be and there's probably very little surprises.

Seems that they have gotten lazy...

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2005, 04:07:58 AM »

One difference is that Jak/Ratchet/Sly are all new to this generation.  The old mascots from the PS1 days, Crash and Spyro, are rotting in cross-platform hell.  Sony, like Nintendo, has shown they can build a brand.  Sony, however, seems more willing to try something new now and then.  In the case of the aforementioned games the risk has payed off handsomely.

Personally I'm looking forward to Mario Kart DS.  I've only owned Mario Kart once, on the N64, so it's all new to me.

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2005, 05:01:49 AM »

(For what it's worth, though Mario Kart DS is a total retread, I am impressed with the online implimentation - at least, what I've read of it through a few reviews. And IGN does make the game sound hella fun, maybe even a system seller. I could see this game taking over elementary schools in a big way.)

Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: