http://gamingtrend.com
November 28, 2014, 09:54:59 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:
 
   Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Man, Beyond Good & Evil really is fantastic!  (Read 3490 times)
0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.
TheMissingLink
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 6235


TML, for short.


View Profile
« on: August 17, 2005, 01:29:39 AM »

I've blazed through this game for the past week or so and it is just a sheer JOY to play.  

"Beyond Good & Evil" mixes a few genres so well that none of the gameplay mechanics seem gimmicky or weak.  You can free-roam the world, take pictures of exotic animals, take part in chasing thiefs, enter racing contests and stumble upon warehouses of pearls in the city itself.  The combat may be somewhat simple, but it's enjoyable and never gets stale.  And the sneaking aspect is done quite well, too!  Sneaking in games frustrates the living hell out of me, but in BG&E if you get caught, you'll start at the same place again (which is *really* nice) and you can either totally sneak, or pick out the guards using their weakpoint in their armor for a different pace.

The world that Ubi Soft created for "Beyond Good & Evil" deserves special mention.  What an absolutely unique and beautiful world.  The characters are memorable, the day/night cycles are gorgeous and everything is just done so freakin' well.  Even the music!   The music is fantastic!

While Kratos kicks mucho ass and Solid Snake is quite the badass, Jade and her Uncle Pey'j are two of the most interesting characters I've come across this gen.  And the story gets quite emotional!  It's a great tale, thus far.

I tend to ramble a lot, so I'm sorry about that, but I'm just excited about this wonderful, wonderful game.  And the best part is?  You can pick it up for like, 10 bucks anywhere for any platform!  What a deal!  The adventure is quite short (I guess they ballpark it around 10 hours), but oh so great while playing.

I know it hasn't sold very well, but da-aym, I'd be doing a dis-service if I didn't try to move a couple of units after experiencing the greatness that is "Beyond Good & Evil."  For those who have played it, what did you think?  And for those who didn't play it, if you enjoy action-adventure games, what are you waiting for!?

The game has an upper 80-percent on Gamerankings, but CG seemed to like it more giving both the Gamecube and PS2 versions a 90%

Linky linky
Logged

TheMissingLink on PSN
Gratch
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Online Online

Posts: 12570


GO UTES!!


View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2005, 01:36:29 AM »

BG&E is one of my favorites as well.  Whoever was in charge of marketing for it should be dragged out back and shot.

Too bad we'll never see a sequel.  frown
Logged

unbreakable
Guest
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2005, 01:57:14 AM »

I would kill for a sequel.  That game is just SO good.

BTW, I purchased the strat guide and made a scan of the creature photography page.  I can email it to you, should you want it.

BTW2- I just picked up Scrapland in a trade.  I'm surprised I didnt hear much about this one as well.  It seems to have a BGE/GTA kind of vibe to it.
Logged
Calvin
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 13895

President of G.R.O.S.S.


View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2005, 02:04:44 AM »

BGE is a phenomenal game. I love it. I liked it enough to trade for it again a few weeks ago and plan on replaying it soon. I really think it was an incredible demonstration of art and gaming together, and I too am saddened that we will likely never see a sequel.
Logged
unbreakable
Guest
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2005, 02:05:42 AM »

LOL, I even have all the music on MP3.  And I never listen to game music.
Logged
TheMissingLink
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 6235


TML, for short.


View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2005, 02:40:32 AM »

Scrapland's always interested me and if it's got that vibe, I'm totally going to look into that one...in fact, I remember seeing that for 15 bucks down at the local GameStop...

Scan of the creature photography page?  Music on MP3?  Consider yourself PM'ed, unbreakable.
Logged

TheMissingLink on PSN
JCC
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 2376


View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2005, 02:43:56 AM »

It really is a shame that it didn't do better. But it was released at the wrong time of year for such an unpromoted game (X-mas).

I will say that I enjoyed the early more action/adventure stuff more than the stealth stuff, but I still enjoyed myself throughout. Clearly they intended on a sequel (based on the ending). It's a shame it will likely never be made.
Logged

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 7850


Hard partier


View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2005, 02:44:02 AM »

I loved it all the way to the end and quit when faced with a cheating bitch of an uber-boss that I can't fight worth a crap. Never went back to it.
Logged

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
warning
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 7325



View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2005, 02:50:50 AM »

Phenomenal game!  It's by the creator of Rayman and Rayman 2 (also one of my favorites).  If you haven't played Rayman 2 you really should.
Logged
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 15697


Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.


View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2005, 02:58:25 AM »

Loved BG&E.  Not so fond of Scrapland, for whomever brought that up.  As long as we're bringing up excellent games that didn't get the retail attention they deserved, if you haven't already, you may want to pick up Psychonauts for when you finish BG&E (which is relatively short, if I remember).
Logged

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
rrmorton
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 867


View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2005, 03:48:08 AM »

I really dug Beyond Good and Evil. Played it all the way to the end and had a total blast.
Logged
ATB
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 15586


Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013


View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2005, 03:55:36 AM »

Yep, great game. I loved it, but not enough to keep it in my collection.

Hmmm. what was the song they sing in the bar in the background? Very catchy but I can't remember what it was.

Quote
I loved it all the way to the end and quit when faced with a cheating bitch of an uber-boss that I can't fight worth a crap.


I never got all the complaining about the end boss- he's not even among the tougher of end bosses I've ever played against...  Beating him is simple:

Spoiler for Hiden:
His ray simply reverses the controller. Push the opposite direction you want to go until it wears off. DUH!
Logged
Calvin
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 13895

President of G.R.O.S.S.


View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2005, 04:03:45 AM »

Quote from: "ATB"
Yep, great game. I loved it, but not enough to keep it in my collection.

Hmmm. what was the song they sing in the bar in the background? Very catchy but I can't remember what it was.

Quote
I loved it all the way to the end and quit when faced with a cheating bitch of an uber-boss that I can't fight worth a crap.


I never got all the complaining about the end boss- he's not even among the tougher of end bosses I've ever played against...  Beating him is simple:

Spoiler for Hiden:
His ray simply reverses the controller. Push the opposite direction you want to go until it wears off. DUH!


Yeah but its super, super, super annoying and can be hard after playing the entire game the other way, and its a shockingly silly, shortsighted, unimaginative, and just..stupid design decision in a game characterized by genius design.
Logged
TheMissingLink
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 6235


TML, for short.


View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2005, 04:13:45 AM »

"Propaganda"

with a cool beat biggrin
Logged

TheMissingLink on PSN
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 7850


Hard partier


View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2005, 04:26:21 AM »

Quote from: "Rage"
Quote from: "ATB"
Yep, great game. I loved it, but not enough to keep it in my collection.

Hmmm. what was the song they sing in the bar in the background? Very catchy but I can't remember what it was.

Quote
I loved it all the way to the end and quit when faced with a cheating bitch of an uber-boss that I can't fight worth a crap.


I never got all the complaining about the end boss- he's not even among the tougher of end bosses I've ever played against...  Beating him is simple:

Spoiler for Hiden:
His ray simply reverses the controller. Push the opposite direction you want to go until it wears off. DUH!


Yeah but its super, super, super annoying and can be hard after playing the entire game the other way, and its a shockingly silly, shortsighted, unimaginative, and just..stupid design decision in a game characterized by genius design.


Not to mention I do that and it works just fine, but it's much easier were I using a mouse/keyboard than the PS2 controller. Plus, there is the time whenever he's hovering over you and I can't hit him without him hitting me. It's crap like that which ruins a perfectly great game for me.
Logged

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
EddieA
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Online Online

Posts: 6979


View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2005, 05:35:49 AM »

Although much different in tone, the game Primal reminded me quite a bit of BG&E.  Both star a female protagonist with a non-human sidekick, although Primal is much more serious.  They also both have action/fighting mixed with exploration and puzzles, and neither are afraid to let their characters show some emotions.  It's another great game that got overshadowed by other games and can be found dirt cheap now.

Also, the designer of BG&E, Michel Ancel, is doing the new King Kong game, which, if nothing else, will at least get more exposure.
Logged

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
WinoMcCougarstein
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 2675



View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2005, 06:03:16 AM »

Quote from: "TheMissingLink"
I've blazed through this game for the past week or so and it is just a sheer JOY to play.  

"Beyond Good & Evil" mixes a few genres so well that none of the gameplay mechanics seem gimmicky or weak.  You can free-roam the world, take pictures of exotic animals, take part in chasing thiefs, enter racing contests and stumble upon warehouses of pearls in the city itself.  The combat may be somewhat simple, but it's enjoyable and never gets stale.  And the sneaking aspect is done quite well, too!  Sneaking in games frustrates the living hell out of me, but in BG&E if you get caught, you'll start at the same place again (which is *really* nice) and you can either totally sneak, or pick out the guards using their weakpoint in their armor for a different pace.

The world that Ubi Soft created for "Beyond Good & Evil" deserves special mention.  What an absolutely unique and beautiful world.  The characters are memorable, the day/night cycles are gorgeous and everything is just done so freakin' well.  Even the music!   The music is fantastic!

While Kratos kicks mucho ass and Solid Snake is quite the badass, Jade and her Uncle Pey'j are two of the most interesting characters I've come across this gen.  And the story gets quite emotional!  It's a great tale, thus far.

I tend to ramble a lot, so I'm sorry about that, but I'm just excited about this wonderful, wonderful game.  And the best part is?  You can pick it up for like, 10 bucks anywhere for any platform!  What a deal!  The adventure is quite short (I guess they ballpark it around 10 hours), but oh so great while playing.

I know it hasn't sold very well, but da-aym, I'd be doing a dis-service if I didn't try to move a couple of units after experiencing the greatness that is "Beyond Good & Evil."  For those who have played it, what did you think?  And for those who didn't play it, if you enjoy action-adventure games, what are you waiting for!?

The game has an upper 80-percent on Gamerankings, but CG seemed to like it more giving both the Gamecube and PS2 versions a 90%

Linky linky



You have inspired me to finally beat it, I am probably an hour and a half away from that.  I could have sworn you said you hated the game when you played it before... I told you it was fun!  I love the graphics music and gameplay, the story is pretty damn cool as well!
Logged

TheMissingLink
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 6235


TML, for short.


View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2005, 06:10:20 AM »

Yeah, it didn't click with me that first time...

WTF was wrong with me back then!?
Logged

TheMissingLink on PSN
WinoMcCougarstein
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 2675



View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2005, 08:09:04 AM »

Quote from: "TheMissingLink"
Yeah, it didn't click with me that first time...

WTF was wrong with me back then!?


Not sure, but it is definitely an underrated game that will probably never get the sequel it deserves... much like Psi-Ops!
Logged

semiconscious
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 4416



View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2005, 12:20:59 PM »

bg&e was great fun - unique, pretty, funny, full of good gameplay & music, &, most of all, genuine (psychonauts-style) personality. it'd be nice (tho far-fetched, i guess) if success with king kong resulted in ubisoft green-lighting a sequel...

i agree with eddiea's comparison to primal, which i also enjoyed, tho i feel overall bg&e was the more polished of the 2 (that last ugly/rushed world in primal kinda damaged the whole experience for me - almost wish they'd just left it out)...
Logged

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
farley2k
Moderator
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 3330



View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2005, 12:55:06 PM »

BG&E is a great game!  I wish there were more like it.  Of course it often seems that different games don't do well.  

I guess there is good reason we see so many sequels
Logged

Knightshade Dragon
Administrator
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 21081



View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2005, 12:58:43 PM »

Most underrated game ever.
Logged

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
ATB
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 15586


Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013


View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2005, 02:29:44 PM »

Quote from: "TheMissingLink"
"Propaganda"

with a cool beat biggrin


That's it!   biggrin

I would walk around the house singing that song.

Such a gem it was!
Logged
Autistic Angel
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 3677


View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2005, 08:08:28 PM »

A lot is made of the end of Beyond Good & Evil, but I also *loved* the way the game began.  I can't remember another modern game that drops the player into immediate life-and-death combat without so much as a tutorial screen(!).  I don't know if Jade was supposed to have any melee combat experience before that moment, but the game sure did a good job of making it feel like she was just winging it because that's exactly what I was doing.... Cool

-Autistic Angel
Logged
unbreakable
Guest
« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2005, 02:02:21 AM »

The whole premise of the game was great.

Has anybody made a mod for BGE, like adding in content?  Seems like it would be some pretty fertile soil.
Logged
lex
Gaming Trend Reader

Offline Offline

Posts: 402


View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 18, 2005, 04:28:25 AM »

wasn't there something about plans to have 2 sequels?  the ending looked like it was setting up for it.

the game was amazing all the way through, I loved the rooftop chase scenes, pure fun...

I tried to pick this up for another playthrough, but just couldn't get into it again, dunno why...
Logged
Dimmona
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 1684


View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 18, 2005, 04:52:49 AM »

I tried the demo way back when it first came out and couldn't get into it - was it a poor representation of the final game?  The same people that pimp Ico (which I fell in love with last month) usually pimp this game as well, so I might have to take a look - especially since most stores carry it for < $10.

Oh, and PC or console version?  And if console, which one?
Logged

Xbox Live tag: Dimmona
DS WiFi Friends Codes
Wii Code: 6091 9321 3340 8417
Xbox360 Gamer Card
unbreakable
Guest
« Reply #27 on: August 20, 2005, 02:43:37 PM »

I always go for the PC version, given a choice.  If there is ever a mod for this game, it will, of course, be PC only.

PS- dont install the patch unless you are having problems.  It sometimes causes a bug late in the game, and requires reinstalling to correct.  [edit] hmm, this guy seems to have something which may correct the bug.  I havent used it.
Logged
Destructor
Special Project Group
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 15974


▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start


View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: August 25, 2005, 01:47:51 PM »

Quote from: "Knightshade Dragon"
Most underrated game ever.

I finally decided to start going though my gaming backlog and encountered this little gem. I agree with KD here entirely - this is a fantastic game that absolutely nobody played.

Too bad it'll never see the sequel it so rightfully (and was set up story-wise) deserves.
Logged

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Calvin
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 13895

President of G.R.O.S.S.


View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 25, 2005, 06:18:03 PM »

Quote from: "Destructor"
Quote from: "Knightshade Dragon"
Most underrated game ever.

I finally decided to start going though my gaming backlog and encountered this little gem. I agree with KD here entirely - this is a fantastic game that absolutely nobody played.

Too bad it'll never see the sequel it so rightfully (and was set up story-wise) deserves.


Yeah, I really really don't understand what we have to do as hardcore gamers to get the every day crowd to understand and appreciate great smaller games, not just the next GTA knockoff that comes down the street.
Logged
adamsappel
Gaming Trend Reader

Offline Offline

Posts: 246


View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 25, 2005, 11:50:00 PM »

This is one of the best games of the generation. However, I only bought it because it was deeply discounted once Ubisoft abandoned it. Ultimately, it would have been worth $40-50, but I would never have taken the chance at that price. I think games like this should be the equivalent of the art-house movie that the big studio makes and is underwritten by the summer blockbuster. Yes, all movie ticket prices are the same, but releasing this game at $30 with some competent advertising and you'd have a hit, not a cult favorite.

And even amongst the cognescenti, people let in languish in their backlog.  :cry:
Logged

Xbox Live Gamertag: adamsappel
unbreakable
Guest
« Reply #31 on: August 26, 2005, 01:15:40 AM »

BGE is a classic failure of marketting.  

Bad name, bad advertising, and not enough hype generated before release.

Why didnt come up with something like "Jade is gonna make you her BITCH!!!111"
Logged
TheMissingLink
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 6235


TML, for short.


View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 26, 2005, 10:23:16 PM »

So I beat this one a few days ago...well, maybe even a week ago now.  Man, fantastic game.  GIVE ME A SEQUEL!!!!!

The last boss ticked me off at FIRST, but it ended up being quite easy.  

Spoiler for Hiden:
Just push in the OPPOSITE direction; I just kept saying the opposite way out loud, "left" if it were right, "right" if it were left and after a couple of deaths, I beat it.


But damn, Jade is such a great character, it's sad to see her in only one game that practically nobody bought frown  Well, that more people should have bought, anyway.  

I give Beyond Good & Evil a 4.5.................out of 5 (been watching TONS of G4 lately)
Logged

TheMissingLink on PSN
EddieA
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Online Online

Posts: 6979


View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 26, 2005, 11:13:37 PM »

"(been watching TONS of G4 lately)"
You mean there was something actually related to videogames on G4?  I must have missed that half-hour slywink
Logged

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Destructor
Special Project Group
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 15974


▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start


View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: August 27, 2005, 12:48:53 AM »

You know, it's funny - the final boss didn't tick me off in the slightest. Once I learned that the boss was attacking in a repeatable pattern, I just learned the pattern and had myself ready for the 'pop into camera mode to toss that thingy at it' part.

I also had like 15 of the 'uber heal' items handy when I got to the end boss, so I never died. Just popped plenty of them while fighting the boss to learn the patterns. biggrin

How I'd love to see a sequel for this game... I really loved how the game world 'changed' as you finished your missions. The developers also made sure you cared about the game characters.

So many little great things about this title you don't see all that often in games.
Logged

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Calvin
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Offline Offline

Posts: 13895

President of G.R.O.S.S.


View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 27, 2005, 02:58:53 AM »

Quote from: "Destructor"
You know, it's funny - the final boss didn't tick me off in the slightest. Once I learned that the boss was attacking in a repeatable pattern, I just learned the pattern and had myself ready for the 'pop into camera mode to toss that thingy at it' part.

I also had like 15 of the 'uber heal' items handy when I got to the end boss, so I never died. Just popped plenty of them while fighting the boss to learn the patterns. biggrin

How I'd love to see a sequel for this game... I really loved how the game world 'changed' as you finished your missions. The developers also made sure you cared about the game characters.

So many little great things about this title you don't see all that often in games.


Although he did annoy me greatly, mainly because
Spoiler for Hiden:
I am absolutely awful with inverted controls
, I too had plenty of health thingies when I got there and it made it much easier. I was somewhat unsatisfied with the ending however-it left a lot of questions unanswered and just begged for a sequel. A sequel we can now only cry for frown
Logged
lex
Gaming Trend Reader

Offline Offline

Posts: 402


View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 27, 2005, 03:01:59 AM »

yeah, the final boss wasn't that bad at all, I thought at first my controller was busted, but then, oh hey....it's supposed to be that way.  I think I had to retry it once, after I figured out the pattern.

too bad it wasn't very successful sales wise. Definitely due to bad title and packaging.  I was trying to talk some friends into trying it out, but when they heard the name, they were like yeah sure...:roll:

man, all this talk is making me want to pick this up and play through this again.
Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  
 
Jump to:  

Powered by MySQL Powered by PHP Powered by SMF 1.1.19 | SMF © 2013, Simple Machines
Valid XHTML 1.0! Valid CSS!
Page created in 0.213 seconds with 98 queries. (Pretty URLs adds 0.056s, 2q)