http://gamingtrend.com
October 23, 2014, 06:13:59 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: MagicKa - Diablo style Coop Mage Action :)  (Read 7388 times)
Tals
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: May 31, 2010, 02:54:58 PM »

Looks interesting. Up to 4 players play as Mages, not quite sure what genre it fits into but looks like it could be fun

http://arrowheadgamestudios.com/?page=games&subpage=magicka

Currently Playing: Psyconauts, lol, wee raptr: Tals Steam: Talsworthy
Hamsterball_Z
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2010, 06:52:09 PM »

Here is the debut trailer, it gives a better impression of the game.

And here is an interview with the developer.  The magic system seems interesting, elemental powers you combine to get different effects.  For example combining fire and water creates steam, adding in earth creates a projectile.  He says it works like a cross with Guitar Hero so that could be good or bad depending on how it's done. 

(HBZ)
baelthazar

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2010, 07:32:51 PM »

Fairly tongue-in-cheek, which is fine. I think it is really trying to be Nox 2 (if you are seasoned enough, you'll know what I mean) with the co-op and such. That could be good or bad, depending. I'll probably check it out if the price is right!
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2010, 08:05:00 PM »

get immersed in a generic world  icon_lol

when is this suppose to be out and any steam plans? their website is a mess and fairly barren
« Last Edit: May 31, 2010, 08:06:58 PM by jersoc » Logged
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2010, 08:36:36 PM »

this looks pretty cool.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2010, 08:39:30 PM »

Quote from: jersoc on May 31, 2010, 08:05:00 PM

get immersed in a generic world  icon_lol

Accidentally get killed by up to three "friends"   thumbsup

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
skystride

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2010, 09:04:02 PM »

Quote from: baelthazar on May 31, 2010, 07:32:51 PM

I think it is really trying to be Nox 2 (if you are seasoned enough, you'll know what I mean) with the co-op and such. That could be good or bad, depending. I'll probably check it out if the price is right!

I would love a Nox 2.  Nox MP was probably way ahead of it's time.  It was a Diablo style game with twitch combat (I don't remember co-op but I do remember playing deathmatches).  I haven't played anything similar since Nox.  I'm not really seeing the similarity between Magicka and Nox though.
baelthazar

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2010, 09:42:46 PM »

Well, it's like Nox in that it is a fast-paced Diablo-like that has a dose of silliness and a mulitplayer mode that incorporates craziness, ganking, and the like. If you never played MP Nox, you won't understand, but from the screens and such, the game really reminds me of it.

I think its due out in September, IIRC.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2010, 01:26:07 AM »

GOG needs to get Nox.

Because I can,
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2010, 04:47:01 PM »

Quote from: skystride on May 31, 2010, 09:04:02 PM

Quote from: baelthazar on May 31, 2010, 07:32:51 PM

I think it is really trying to be Nox 2 (if you are seasoned enough, you'll know what I mean) with the co-op and such. That could be good or bad, depending. I'll probably check it out if the price is right!

I would love a Nox 2.  Nox MP was probably way ahead of it's time.  It was a Diablo style game with twitch combat (I don't remember co-op but I do remember playing deathmatches).  I haven't played anything similar since Nox.  I'm not really seeing the similarity between Magicka and Nox though.
Nox had no co-op, which to my mind killed any chances it had of peeling people away from Diablo, or surviving Diablo II's release that summer of 2000 (Nox came out in early 2000). It had some limited PvP, but it didn't seem like a feature Westwood put much thought into.

I've mentioned elsewhere, a buddy and I attended a Nox "launch event" at a LAN gaming center in Virginia in 1999. We had a great time, the Westwood rep treated for a lot of free pizza (albeit from Jerry's, not exactly Premium Pizza), and it was a lot of fun to try the game out on the LAN center's computers. I wish I'd had a digital camera then. I, and one other member of the Gone Gold forums, wrote up some impressions from the event posted at the site, and that's about as close as I ever got to becoming a gaming journalist.

Although I did end up buying the game, I of course threw it aside as soon as Diablo II came out. Nox's skewed viewpoint (sort of more like an overhead Diablo instead of a fully isometric one) was not for all tastes.

There was another Diablo wannabe from that era, Throne of Darkness (which I seem to recall had one low-ranking former Diablo-dev on its team), I got all lathered up about but once I played the demo, I knew it didn't have "the magic." disgust In retrospect, it's probably for the better the game dev world isn't still constantly throwing itself at Diablo clone projects in futility anymore. To me Torchlight felt special cause it wasn't surrounded by 15 other Diablo clones pushing onto the market.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2010, 04:50:31 PM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Wasteland 2 (post-apoc, turn-based squad strategy/RPG )
-Grim Dawn
-Gauntlet (4 player co-op dungeon arcade brawling)
skystride

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2010, 04:49:29 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on June 01, 2010, 01:26:07 AM

GOG needs to get Nox.

Yes!! 

I still probably have my boxed copy buried somewhere.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2010, 04:54:07 PM »

I will say Nox had a tremendous game manual. Thick, wide format, lots of detail. In fact, I don't know how a Diablo clone justified such a massive manual, but I recall it being a good one.  icon_razz

I believe I finally threw my copy and manual away during some desperate attempts to de-horde my computer room.

Playing
PC
-Wasteland 2 (post-apoc, turn-based squad strategy/RPG )
-Grim Dawn
-Gauntlet (4 player co-op dungeon arcade brawling)
skystride

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2010, 04:56:49 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on June 01, 2010, 04:47:01 PM

It had some limited PvP, but it didn't seem like a feature Westwood put much thought into.

The PvP was really fun.  It was sort of like Guild Wars but more twitchy, e.g. the warrior would need to aim his charge.  I think there were 3 classes that played very differently (warrior, mage, summoner?  memory is hazy).  The number of maps and modes were limited though so I got tired of it.  Some games have tried to do this type of PvP but they haven't succeeded.

It's also possible that I'm remembering the mode fondly because at the time it was pretty innovative, not sure if it would hold up today.
baelthazar

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2010, 06:27:08 PM »

For some reason I remember a co-op mode in Nox, but yes - GoG should get this! It was Westwood, which means EA owns it now... so chances might be slimmer. I think I have my copy somewhere. I seem to really remember the snarky and busty witch being the main bad guy, but not much more than that about the story. I also remember the summoning hero being way overpowered in PVP. Shame Diablo II killed it, because it stood up as a good game on it's own merits.

GoG also needs to get Darkstone, another good Diablo-like from the same time-period. But that is also Take-2 and EA.

Bael
skystride

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2010, 07:33:15 PM »

Nox Wiki - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nox_%28video_game%29

The multiplayer game types are similar to those found in online first-person shooters: deathmatch (further subdivided into "free for all", team, and clan modes), capture the flag, "Flagball" (similar to Bombing Run in Unreal Tournament), "King of the Realm", and "Elimination" (deathmatch with limited respawns). Patch 1.2 introduced a cooperative multiplayer mode named "Quest", wherein a player team must navigate through 20 locations, killing monsters and looting items. Originally, Westwood ran an online ladder ranking system of Nox multiplayer matches but it has since been closed down.

Apparently I missed patch 1.2.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2011, 09:13:26 AM »

supposedly this is going to be out this month.

Because I can,
baelthazar

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2011, 10:30:46 PM »

Supposedly this is going to be out in 4 days! RPS is my source.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2011, 10:34:30 PM »

Quote from: baelthazar on January 21, 2011, 10:30:46 PM

Supposedly this is going to be out in 4 days! RPS is my source.

that would make sense, since that's the last Tuesday of the month.

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2011, 03:21:22 PM »

a little video interview.  It's definitely out tomorrow in the states and slated for February 15th in Europe.

Because I can,
Huw the Poo

Please feed dog

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2011, 05:23:24 PM »

The UK Gamersgate site says 25 Jan.

Resident anti-Steam troll
Steam profile
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2011, 05:30:42 PM »

Quote from: Huw the Poo on January 24, 2011, 05:23:24 PM

didn't Europe disown the UK? Tongue

Because I can,
Tals

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2011, 06:26:43 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on January 24, 2011, 05:30:42 PM

Quote from: Huw the Poo on January 24, 2011, 05:23:24 PM

didn't Europe disown the UK? Tongue

I think you'll find it was the other way round  ninja

** UK Steam says 25th Jan - phew smile

baelthazar

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2011, 10:55:31 PM »

After reading the RPS write-up, I think this just might be worth $10.
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2011, 12:42:56 AM »

Quote from: baelthazar on January 24, 2011, 10:55:31 PM

After reading the RPS write-up, I think this just might be worth $10.

It's only $10?  Sweet!  I didn't see the price listed anywhere but the game design looks like a lot of fun, very creative.  I like the idea of all the different skills/elements working together or even against each other, and the experimentation vibe of the game.  Hopefully it's not too buggy (I just imagine there might be too many possible combinations that could cause issues if not tested enough).
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2011, 12:57:27 AM »

wait... was one of the guys carrying an m-60 in that interview video I posted?

Because I can,
shon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: January 25, 2011, 01:55:07 AM »

Just pre-ordered the game on Steam for $10 and says it will unlock in 14 hours......I'm off tomorrow so if anyone else is and wants to try co-op out.
Steam name - Countach
« Last Edit: January 25, 2011, 03:37:34 AM by shon » Logged

Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 25, 2011, 02:42:48 AM »

played the demo and it looks very good.  hope to scrounge up $10 tomorrow for this one.
Tals

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 25, 2011, 01:42:09 PM »

Nice one, let's hope this is as good as it sounds. Will buy when I get home tonight

Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 25, 2011, 02:34:35 PM »

Fun concept, would be a blast with 3 other people I'm sure, but, my computer/laptop are not up to snuff for the game. Since there are pretty much no options to optimize performance, and since I have a bazillion other games, I'm going to have to pass on this one for now.

Definitely pick it up if it does end up on XBLA though.

Pikachu, I Blame you!
rittchard

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 25, 2011, 06:56:36 PM »

I played some of the demo and then re-did it again this morning in the release version.  Really really enjoy the spell system, possibly one of the most simple, elegant and unique systems I've played with.  I love the experimentation aspect plus all the things that can go wrong (like when I created this cool shield to block the monster's laser beams, then shot lightning at it which reflected off the shield onto me!)  Be warned though that the game pretty much eliminates everything else in a conventional RPG - stats, loot, etc. are all pretty much non-existent or minimized.  Gameplay is all about you and how you use your spells/skills.

My only complaint, and this could just be that I didn't do something correct, is the save system.  The game periodically says you are at a "checkpoint" which I assumed was an auto-save.  But clearly I was wrong.  When I exited, it told me all my progress on that "level" would be gone, which I assumed was from the last checkpoint.  But when I looked again, it had reset me all the way back to the very beginning of the game.  Did I miss something?
shon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: January 25, 2011, 10:26:08 PM »

Glad it's working for the above poster but I haven't gotten it to run great yet.  Had problems at first with the controller mapping screen covering up the main menu and no way around it.  I had to unplug my wireless 360 adapter to start the game and once that was done it fixed the issue so I could leave everything plugged in and working I guess a bug
with controller support.

Then I couldn't get past the start of the tutorial as you need to break some boards with a spell and it just wouldn't do it, I kept hitting below the boards then when I moved closer it went though them so I said Banana's with the tutorial and tried playing the main game and couldn't break down a weak door with the same spell so not sure what is going on.

They put an update out already and now my game errors out and won't start.......

earicci
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 26, 2011, 03:53:27 PM »

Would really appreciate more impressions on this one?

Gamertag earicci on PS3 and Xbox 360
Jancelot

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 26, 2011, 09:00:31 PM »

PC indie Magicka a "hit" despite broken, negligent release

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2011/01/pc-indie-magicka-a-hit-hype-obscures-broken-negligent-release.ars

TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: January 26, 2011, 09:19:27 PM »

I've played the first two levels so far with no bugs or issues at all. It's a lot of fun, though the magic system seems a bit unbalanced. I found a simple combo that instantly deals with all goblins near me, for example:

Spoiler for Hiden:
Lightning + Arcane, cast as an area attack. No charge time, instant kill for pretty much anything around me. I tend to charge it with 4 x lightning and one arcane, but I don't know if it makes a difference.

Other spells barely touch the same enemies. There's a lot of freedom in how to design your spells though. One thing that confuses me is that I have several spells (one of them handed out to me in the tutorial) containing a power icon I don't recognize, which means I can't cast these spells. Do I get more of these icons later?

There's LOTS and lots of pop culture references here. Off the top of my head, some of the most memorable references I've seen were to Star Wars, The Matrix, Lord of the Rings, Warhammer, King's Quest and World of Warcraft ("Now if only I could figure out how to get rid of this exclamation mark that has been following me around lately..."), as well as half a dozen RPG systems. The voiceovers are in a bizarre The Sims-like nonsensical language that still contains tons of real words from both English and Swedish, and they are particularly hilarious if you understand both those languages.

Also, gotta love Vlad (who's definitely not a vampire!).
« Last Edit: January 26, 2011, 09:21:18 PM by TiLT » Logged
baelthazar

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 27, 2011, 12:07:25 AM »

Yeah Tilt, just wait until you accidentally hit the middle mouse button on that combo, rather than the shift-right-click. Or perhaps you just normal right click and fry a quest-giver or a friend.
SkyLander

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 27, 2011, 07:55:14 PM »

Quote from: TiLT on January 26, 2011, 09:19:27 PM

I've played the first two levels so far with no bugs or issues at all. It's a lot of fun, though the magic system seems a bit unbalanced. I found a simple combo that instantly deals with all goblins near me, for example:

Spoiler for Hiden:
Lightning + Arcane, cast as an area attack. No charge time, instant kill for pretty much anything around me. I tend to charge it with 4 x lightning and one arcane, but I don't know if it makes a difference.

Other spells barely touch the same enemies. There's a lot of freedom in how to design your spells though. One thing that confuses me is that I have several spells (one of them handed out to me in the tutorial) containing a power icon I don't recognize, which means I can't cast these spells. Do I get more of these icons later?

Spoiler for Hiden:
If you are talking about lightning bolt and meteor shower as well as a few others, if you hit fire and water at the same time it creates steam, that is the missing icon. If you hit escape and go to magicka the pictures are bigger so you can actually see what you need. Another insanely powerful spell is doing steam with lightning and arcane, since hitting stuff with steam makes them wet + lightning = good god those things go down fast now. I have yet to make meteor shower work, if anyone has any tips
« Last Edit: January 27, 2011, 08:07:49 PM by SkyLander » Logged

Pretty....what do we blow up first?
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: January 27, 2011, 09:14:52 PM »

Ooh, that makes sense. The game isn't good about explaining these subtle details.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 28, 2011, 10:06:36 AM »

if you're still wondering wtf is Magicka, then here you go.  it's the first 30 minutes of the game.

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 28, 2011, 11:04:54 AM »

Quote from: rittchard on January 25, 2011, 06:56:36 PM

My only complaint, and this could just be that I didn't do something correct, is the save system.  The game periodically says you are at a "checkpoint" which I assumed was an auto-save.  But clearly I was wrong.  When I exited, it told me all my progress on that "level" would be gone, which I assumed was from the last checkpoint.  But when I looked again, it had reset me all the way back to the very beginning of the game.  Did I miss something?

same here, if I have to play a whole level to completion I'm not going to make it very far in this game.  I've started the first one twice and have had to quit because something came up.

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 28, 2011, 04:17:00 PM »

the Infomercial.

speaking of other game references, I love how the first words you hear in the game are from Diablo.

Because I can,
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: