http://gamingtrend.com
April 23, 2014, 07:00:42 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mafia - Very Late to the Party & I can't Seem to Dance.  (Read 716 times)
kronovan
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: February 06, 2009, 04:36:47 PM »

Mafia was just released the other day on gametap and it's one of the games I never played but have been meaning to for some time. I didn't play it originally due to my general dislike at the time of sandbox games like GTA. God Father Black Hand, No more Heroes and recently Far Cry 2 have changed that for me. So...I downloaded it and was completely blown away by the intro; looks to be a sandbox game with a story and a character or 2 I might actually care about.

So...anyhow....I fire up the tutorial and I'm asked to go to climb up on some stage and crouch down and pick up a weapon on a table. So I do the necessary moves and all my avatar does is get into a boxing crouch and shadow boxes the table or does nothing??? I'm now left wondering if I just completely suck at mouse+keyboard control or if the tutorial's borked. In all fairness to myself, if I don't setup my Nostromo gaming keypad I'm more or less lost in a PC game; don't know why, but keyboards have never felt natural to me for gaming despite having been typing on them over 2 decades. I'm going to push on with this a bit and try to figure it out, but if anyone can recall what's necessary to get this game mechanic to work, I'd appreciate it.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2009, 04:39:32 PM by kronovan » Logged
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2009, 04:45:40 PM »

I can't help you with that specific problem (it's been six years at least since I played it) but I would caution you against expecting a sandbox experience (and those GTA-like expectations are a big reason why the game was unfairly criticized in some outlets at the time IMO).  There isn't really a whole lot of "sandboxy" things to do, nor is there much non-linearity.

Instead, think of it as a traditional single player experience which uses expansive level design to enrich the setting. 
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2009, 04:48:52 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on February 06, 2009, 04:45:40 PM

I can't help you with that specific problem (it's been six years at least since I played it) but I would caution you against expecting a sandbox experience (and those GTA-like expectations are a big reason why the game was unfairly criticized in some outlets at the time IMO).  There isn't really a whole lot of "sandboxy" things to do, nor is there much non-linearity.

Instead, think of it as a traditional single player experience which uses expansive level design to enrich the setting. 

Cool...well that means I'll probably enjoy it even more then. It's only recently that I've warmed up to sandbox style games, but a SP experience with good characters and enviroments is still my preference.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2009, 04:50:01 PM »

Quote from: kronovan on February 06, 2009, 04:48:52 PM

Cool...well that means I'll probably enjoy it even more then. It's only recently that I've warmed up to sandbox style games, but a SP experience with good characters and enviroments is still my preference.

Exactly- you'll probably find that you needn't have avoided it at all over the years. 
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2009, 04:54:23 PM »

oooh.. I may have to re-sub to Gametap for this.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2009, 05:02:09 PM »

Quote from: kronovan on February 06, 2009, 04:36:47 PM

Mafia was just released the other day on gametap and it's one of the games I never played but have been meaning to for some time. I didn't play it originally due to my general dislike at the time of sandbox games like GTA. God Father Black Hand, No more Heroes and recently Far Cry 2 have changed that for me. So...I downloaded it and was completely blown away by the intro; looks to be a sandbox game with a story and a character or 2 I might actually care about.

So...anyhow....I fire up the tutorial and I'm asked to go to climb up on some stage and crouch down and pick up a weapon on a table. So I do the necessary moves and all my avatar does is get into a boxing crouch and shadow boxes the table or does nothing??? I'm now left wondering if I just completely suck at mouse+keyboard control or if the tutorial's borked. In all fairness to myself, if I don't setup my Nostromo gaming keypad I'm more or less lost in a PC game; don't know why, but keyboards have never felt natural to me for gaming despite having been typing on them over 2 decades. I'm going to push on with this a bit and try to figure it out, but if anyone can recall what's necessary to get this game mechanic to work, I'd appreciate it.

You double checked your key shortcuts, yes?

If I remember, for me, the middle mouse button had me picking things up.  The controls are a little weird, especially looking back on them now, when things have been streamlined in other ways.

I would also say that Mafia is way less sandboxy than current sandbox games.  IIRC, there's a freeplay mode, but I don't think I ever touched that for more than a minute.  The story mode is so phenomenal, there's no need.  One of these days I may even get through the last mission!

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2009, 05:19:41 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on February 06, 2009, 05:02:09 PM

You double checked your key shortcuts, yes?

If I remember, for me, the middle mouse button had me picking things up.  The controls are a little weird, especially looking back on them now, when things have been streamlined in other ways.

The funny this is, I was able to pick up some health pills from a cabinet on the same stage without any problems. I checked the control setup and I even tried the secondary keyboard equivalent, but no luck!?
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2009, 05:46:41 PM »

My first repsonse was, "Mafia has a tutorial?"

Quote from: Bullwinkle on February 06, 2009, 05:02:09 PM

IIRC, there's a freeplay mode, but I don't think I ever touched that for more than a minute.

I spent a bit more time on it...

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
warning

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2009, 09:20:10 PM »

I loved Mafia.  Just loved it.

And the ending is... great.

I'm completely excited for Mafia 2.
Kestrel
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2009, 03:12:37 AM »

Back up, stand up and walk up to the table. Watch for an exclamation point in a red circle to appear at the lower left of the screen.  When it is there, press the right mouse button and you will perform the action - in this case, pick up the guns.

I couldn't remember how to do it so I started a new game and went to the tutorial. 

I agree about the N52.  I don't play games without it.

Most driving is mapped on the N52, but when you get to the fast driving portion, I think I plugged in a joystick.  I probably left the N52 in place.

You are in for a lot of fun with this game.  I want to go back and play it through again.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: