http://gamingtrend.com
October 30, 2014, 07:01:25 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mafia II demo for 360 out now  (Read 2661 times)
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: August 11, 2010, 08:43:40 PM »

The demo was the same one we saw at E3 a few months ago.   We were told then that it was older code as well.  Still, it looks pretty polished for something 'old'. 

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Captain Caveman

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 11, 2010, 09:37:17 PM »

Loved the demo, but one thing that was troublesome was how absolutely tiny the text and map were. Even on my HD set, I was struggling to read objectives and follow the red line to my destination.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 11, 2010, 10:22:35 PM »

Quote from: Captain Caveman on August 11, 2010, 09:37:17 PM

Loved the demo, but one thing that was troublesome was how absolutely tiny the text and map were. Even on my HD set, I was struggling to read objectives and follow the red line to my destination.

i have heard a lot of complaints about small text in games over the years and i have never really seen what they have meant even as i have a SDTV(Sony triniton 32")i have been fine with it(dead rising complaints comes to mind)...however,for the demo the small text was nearly unreadable for me,especially as i opted for subtitles...and i can't say i am that far from the TV as well

i couldn't read that it said in the top corner that we had a time limit when i stepped out of the house....it wasn't until second or third playthru that i struggled and read what it said and told me that there was a time limit

as it is a demo,and as Ron says an old one as well,hopefully they will fix that for the full game

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 11, 2010, 10:24:36 PM »

The text was definitely super small in the demo. No question.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 11, 2010, 10:32:18 PM »

Quote from: coopasonic on August 11, 2010, 07:59:28 PM

Quote from: Bullwinkle on August 11, 2010, 03:14:08 PM

Did cars even have seatbelts in the 50s?

I feel like I'm doing Isgrimnur's job here but...

...facty facty fact fact...

My post wasn't meant to be taken literally.  I'm aware that seatbelts have been around.  My point was simply that no one was using them in the 50s (it just wasn't cool, man).  I exaggerated. 

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 11, 2010, 10:37:25 PM »

Quote from: Caine on August 11, 2010, 05:06:29 PM

...not sure if it's like saints row where the car respawns after it's lost, but i kind of doubt it as it goes against the realism they have going here....

They actually had the regenerating cars in the first one, IIRC.  The mechanic always had one on hand.

of course, the first thing i noticed afterwards was that the mission was set in the 50's, not the 40's as has been shown before.

I always thought it was 50s (unless I'm misremembering).  Was the first one 30s?  I thought that was 40s.

i would have liked to see the 40's actually, with the snow and all.

It was tragic when it stopped snowing throughout the 50s.

i hope they haven't dropped other details from the first like fuel usage and refilling stations and having your gas tank shot causing a leak.  

I don't remember fuel usage or filling stations at all?  Was that in the free roam mode, maybe?  I didn't do much of that.

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 11, 2010, 10:59:05 PM »

could of sworn i heard that this game is set in the 50s and 60s...i heard its Autumn in the 50s and Snowing when its the 60s

however,Wiki says its set from 1945 -1957...so not sure where i got my info from

thinking about it in the demo,just before you kick the door in to the warehouse,your friend says for you to do it,as you are the war hero.......maybe he meant the Korean war..that was definitely the 50s in the demo with the Diners and cars and Playboys(Playboy was founded in 1953)

Quote from: Bullwinkle on August 11, 2010, 10:37:25 PM

Quote from: Caine on August 11, 2010, 05:06:29 PM

i hope they haven't dropped other details from the first like fuel usage and refilling stations and having your gas tank shot causing a leak.  

I don't remember fuel usage or filling stations at all?  Was that in the free roam mode, maybe?  I didn't do much of that.

i filled up my car at the Gas Station in the Mafia 2 demo,FWIW..and i don't know why this is in the quote ,i can't get it out
« Last Edit: August 11, 2010, 11:01:46 PM by metallicorphan » Logged

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 11, 2010, 10:59:28 PM »

I noticed that if you reload before a clip is empty you no longer lose whatever bullets were in the clip.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: August 11, 2010, 11:23:54 PM »

It was mentioned in one of the videos that the game is set in the winter in the '40s after Vito gets out of the war and then jumps to the '50s at some point in the summer. The devs were sure to point out the difference in the city between the two periods, with more austere details compared to the richer people later on.

As for the cars, I remember the mechanic, but I was referring to the cars in your garage and wether they were unique and therefore could be lost or more like SR where the car would be replaced if you left it or destroyed it.

PeteRock

Fabulous is a state of being. For me, anyways.

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 12, 2010, 01:50:19 AM »

Never played the first and fairly unfamiliar with the sequel, but would it be somewhat accurate to compare Mafia with The Godfather videogame?  I'm curious as it had its faults, but I played through the entire storyline and would certainly welcome another game in a comparable setting.

Also, since I never played the first, it sounds like Mafia II is a new storyline unrelated to the original, not requiring a playthrough to understand the new story.  Is that true as well?

Beauty is only skin deep.  Which is why I take very good care of my skin.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 12, 2010, 02:39:43 AM »

Quote from: Caine on August 11, 2010, 11:23:54 PM

It was mentioned in one of the videos that the game is set in the winter in the '40s after Vito gets out of the war and then jumps to the '50s at some point in the summer. The devs were sure to point out the difference in the city between the two periods, with more austere details compared to the richer people later on.

As for the cars, I remember the mechanic, but I was referring to the cars in your garage and wether they were unique and therefore could be lost or more like SR where the car would be replaced if you left it or destroyed it.

There was also a mechanic behind the restaurant HQ, where you got the missions.  You'd go and pick a car from him.  He'd also teach you the technique for breaking a particular car's lock if you were meant to steal one.  After you stole a car, it was available for you in his garage.

Boudreaux

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 12, 2010, 01:48:39 PM »

Quote from: PeteRock on August 12, 2010, 01:50:19 AM

Never played the first and fairly unfamiliar with the sequel, but would it be somewhat accurate to compare Mafia with The Godfather videogame?  I'm curious as it had its faults, but I played through the entire storyline and would certainly welcome another game in a comparable setting.

Also, since I never played the first, it sounds like Mafia II is a new storyline unrelated to the original, not requiring a playthrough to understand the new story.  Is that true as well?

Never played The Godfather, but the original Mafia was an outstanding bit of storytelling marred by some occasionally frustratingly difficult gameplay.  It had a really interesting variety of missions and and an overarching story arc that's as good as anything I've ever played.

Mafia II is a new storyline, new characters, new setting.  So no, there's no need to have played the first one. 

XBox Live:  JNacht
Captain Caveman

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 12, 2010, 02:22:35 PM »

Pete, I'd venture to say that the Godfather game drew heavily from mechanics from the original Mafia. The gameplay is very similar between the two (basically GTA-like, with small variations), but what elevated the original Mafia to an all-time great in my mind was the wonderful setting full of nice touches and detail, great characterization and script, and an unforgettable ending.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 12, 2010, 02:28:01 PM »

Quote from: Captain Caveman on August 12, 2010, 02:22:35 PM

Pete, I'd venture to say that the Godfather game drew heavily from mechanics from the original Mafia. The gameplay is very similar between the two (basically GTA-like, with small variations), but what elevated the original Mafia to an all-time great in my mind was the wonderful setting full of nice touches and detail, great characterization and script, and an unforgettable ending.

Also, the music was great.

coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: August 12, 2010, 03:36:49 PM »

Quote from: Captain Caveman on August 12, 2010, 02:22:35 PM

Note that The Godfather was open world and Mafia really wasn't. Technically, yes, you had the whole city to drive around in, but the only time you were in the city was on a mission, ignoring the Free Ride side of things which was completely separate from the storyline. Mafia was very linear.

I'm on my 5th playthrough now, so I'm not saying that's a bad thing. It's an important distinction between Mafia and The Godfather though. The only optional/side quest in Mafia was the Bertone missions and they were sparse and didn't really have any impact other than giving you more car options.

In fact, thinking about it, that's about the only freedom you had in the game, the choice of cars from your garage to take out on a mission.

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
PeteRock

Fabulous is a state of being. For me, anyways.

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 12, 2010, 03:45:20 PM »

I'm going to give the demo a try as I really enjoyed The Godfather and appreciate organized crime storylines from almost any era.  Given the praise for the original Mafia I'm seriously considering giving Mafia II a look.  Thanks for the clarifications.   icon_biggrin

Beauty is only skin deep.  Which is why I take very good care of my skin.
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 19, 2010, 12:15:13 AM »

The first reviews for Mafia II are coming in on Gamerankings and they aren't rosey. Still, it's looking better than Alpha Protocol, the last game I pre-ordered.

True, but when the snarky comment is served on a platter, you don't wait for the napkin. - Bullwinkle
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 19, 2010, 12:35:38 AM »

Quote from: jztemple2 on August 19, 2010, 12:15:13 AM

The first reviews for Mafia II are coming in on Gamerankings and they aren't rosey. Still, it's looking better than Alpha Protocol, the last game I pre-ordered.

Aren't rosy?  For the 360, I see 77% average with a 7/10 and an 84/100.  That seems pretty good to me.  The lowest score seems to be 70% on any platform.

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 19, 2010, 12:39:13 AM »

I don't even see any review publications of note listed yet.  Not that it matters for me- I liked the first game a lot more than most reviewers and the demo for Mafia 2 sold me. 
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 19, 2010, 12:44:20 AM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on August 19, 2010, 12:39:13 AM

I don't even see any review publications of note listed yet.  Not that it matters for me- I liked the first game a lot more than most reviewers and the demo for Mafia 2 sold me.  

I can only assume you're talking about the console version.  Critics pretty universally loved the PC version (nearly 90% on GR).

jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: August 19, 2010, 12:45:32 AM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on August 19, 2010, 12:35:38 AM

Aren't rosy?  For the 360, I see 77% average with a 7/10 and an 84/100.  That seems pretty good to me.  The lowest score seems to be 70% on any platform.

"Rosy" to me would be solid nineties or at least high eighties. In the one text except on the PC review the reviewer complained about the lack of car chases and gunfights. Certainly it is early and I too was impressed with the demo. Heck, I'd be happy if it was as good as the first one.

True, but when the snarky comment is served on a platter, you don't wait for the napkin. - Bullwinkle
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 19, 2010, 12:48:14 AM »

the shit is currently hitting the fan on the PS3 forums

one of 2Ks employees posted this today

Originally Posted by 2K Elizabeth
Hey guys,

When designing Mafia II, we optimized for each of the three different systems the game would run on to make sure the core experience was the best it could be. Because of this, there are some differences from one platform to the next. In terms of the PS3 version, I wanted to clarify a couple points you have been asking about: There will not be highly detailed grass or large pools of blood, the cloth movement is less noticeable than, for example, the PC version, and the visual fidelity in the demo is generally representative of what you’ll see in the full game.

Our aim is to make a cohesive and immersive experience and optimize the game for each platform so that it could run its best. And while there are some differences between each version, I’m sure you’ll find that the core gameplay and the heart of Mafia II remains no matter whether you play on PS3, 360, or PC.

Thanks for your patience while I checked with the dev team on the specific issues you were asking about, and I hope you see you in Empire Bay next week.

and i pulled this off the PS3 forums

FWIW-if any of you are going to get the PS3 version,don't forget that it comes with exclusive Free DLC on day one,and i am sure these problems wont be that bad really when it comes to gameplay...just look at Dragon Age on the 360,that damn thing looked like arse and i still enjoyed it Tongue

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 19, 2010, 01:12:20 AM »

The free DLC is dandelions.

naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 19, 2010, 01:35:49 AM »

who said the ps3 had better graphics than the xbox 360 Tongue
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 19, 2010, 01:36:58 AM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on August 19, 2010, 01:12:20 AM

icon_lol icon_lol icon_lol icon_lol

Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: August 19, 2010, 06:20:41 AM »

Quote from: jztemple2 on August 19, 2010, 01:36:58 AM

awesome

Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 19, 2010, 12:30:35 PM »

Quote from: Caine on August 19, 2010, 06:20:41 AM

awesome

The way developers are handling DLC I honestly can't tell if that's a joke or not.

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: August 19, 2010, 01:31:41 PM »

Quote from: Ridah on August 19, 2010, 12:30:35 PM

awesome
The way developers are handling DLC I honestly can't tell if that's a joke or not.

Well, the PS3 version could sure use something on that mound of colored green/brown blob that's called grass. Dandelions would work perfectly.  icon_lol

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 19, 2010, 02:18:47 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on August 19, 2010, 01:31:41 PM

Quote from: Ridah on August 19, 2010, 12:30:35 PM

awesome

Well, the PS3 version could sure use something on that mound of colored green/brown blob that's called grass. Dandelions would work perfectly.  icon_lol

it's a mob game- pushing some daisy content would work better.

Because I can,
skystride

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 23, 2010, 05:25:57 PM »

Is that screenshot real?  Almost seems like PS3 vs PC rather than PS3 vs 360.
spigot

All of the bacon and eggs you have.

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 23, 2010, 05:52:10 PM »

Kotaku's take on it seems rather disappointing. I'm still excited for it, but rose colored glasses will do that to you. Hopefully some more reviews/impressions will paint a better picture.

Edit: IGN's review is up now.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2010, 05:54:13 PM by spigot » Logged

XBL GamerTag: RoboSim
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 23, 2010, 06:12:58 PM »

Joystiq also has their review up: 3.5 out of 5. Linear, interchangeable characters make the story confusing at times but the world is nice.

Because I can,
KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 23, 2010, 06:16:31 PM »

Quote from: skystride on August 23, 2010, 05:25:57 PM

Is that screenshot real?  Almost seems like PS3 vs PC rather than PS3 vs 360.

It is real, the PS3 has no grass.  (or shitty flat grass I should say)
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 23, 2010, 06:18:28 PM »

The grass is a lie!

Because I can,
skystride

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 23, 2010, 07:17:03 PM »

Quote from: spigot on August 23, 2010, 05:52:10 PM

Kotaku's take on it seems rather disappointing. I'm still excited for it, but rose colored glasses will do that to you. Hopefully some more reviews/impressions will paint a better picture.

Edit: IGN's review is up now.

Hmm IGN 7/10.  These reviews are disappointing.  I was hoping higher than 9/10 reviews for this game.  Maybe all the reviewers are GTA fanboys that didn't play Mafia?  Probably a bit of a stretch.
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: August 23, 2010, 07:30:29 PM »

After watching the ign review, it seems to me be he was knocking it because it wasn't a game that he thought it would be.  It's not a sandbox game like GTA.  The original mafia was also linear in that regards.  Now I highly doubt mafia 2 will be any better but lets rate the game on based on what it does, not what you want it to do.
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: August 24, 2010, 01:25:36 AM »

Gamespot gave it an 85, saying
Mafia II is an excellent return of a franchise with great promise. Vito and his associates are memorable characters in a city bursting with subtle visual details and violent undertones. The story pulls no punches, neither glorifying nor demeaning the difficult lives its protagonists lead--just presenting them with brutal honesty and letting you reach your own conclusions. After the 15-or-so hours it might take you to gun through Vito's story, it's hard not to come away with the sense that there should have been more to do in this beautiful city. Yet while you might be disappointed with what Mafia II doesn't do, it's hard to be disappointed by what this excellent game does do: deliver fun shoot-outs and pockets of shocking brutality in a world you're delighted to be a part of.

leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: August 24, 2010, 01:39:20 AM »

If they couldn't make grass on the PS3, then I can't imaging what their dev team must think when they see Uncharted games or GoW or something.
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 24, 2010, 01:41:50 AM »

Quote from: leo8877 on August 24, 2010, 01:39:20 AM

If they couldn't make grass on the PS3, then I can't imaging what their dev team must think when they see Uncharted games or GoW or something.

They are thinking 'that's way harder than we want or need to do.'

When you are the hardest to program for system and have the smallest install base, you are generally in the 'best effort' (industry term) aka 'fucked' (real term) category.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: August 24, 2010, 01:50:15 AM »

Quote from: gellar on August 24, 2010, 01:41:50 AM

Quote from: leo8877 on August 24, 2010, 01:39:20 AM

They are thinking 'that's way harder than we want or need to do.'

When you are the hardest to program for system and have the smallest install base, you are generally in the 'best effort' (industry term) aka 'fucked' (real term) category.

Fair enough!  Poor PS3 owners.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: