http://gamingtrend.com
July 26, 2014, 07:17:55 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mafia II demo for 360 out now  (Read 2583 times)
jztemple2
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: August 10, 2010, 12:52:54 PM »

Downloading as we speak... text...

True, but when the snarky comment is served on a platter, you don't wait for the napkin. - Bullwinkle
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2010, 03:43:22 PM »

Thanks for the heads up. Downloading now.

"It's like chess with big guns against aliens. Which isn't like chess at all when I think about it." - Jake Solomon
spigot

All of the bacon and eggs you have.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2010, 05:10:56 PM »

Have to try this when I get back. I loved the first one. Can't decide which system to get this one for.

XBL GamerTag: RoboSim
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2010, 05:27:30 PM »

Queued on 360.

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2010, 05:28:37 PM »

There's a PS3 and PC demo too, isn' there?

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2010, 05:55:00 PM »

Finished it and loved it.

It's very short.  There's one mission (which they say will not be in the final game in the same form, but then they end with "To Be Continued...") plus 10 minutes of drive around time.

But you get the feel for the game in that short span.  Basically, it's Mafia II.  It has the same fully immersed period style (though that period is now the 50s), disctinct characters, a realistic feel to movement, driving and gunfights.  It's also not easy.  I died several times in that first mission, and the checkpoints were just a hair further apart than I would have liked.  The deaths were always due to reckless behavior on my part, though.  It doesn't seem like it's quite as challenging as the first game, though.

Overall, I'm very excited.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2010, 07:56:03 PM »

did everyone pick up the playboy in the kitchen? thumbsup thumbsup thumbsup thumbsup thumbsup thumbsup

looking forward to finding the rest in the game icon_biggrin

quite enjoyed the demo,cars take some getting used to,especially near the end when trying to get away from the cops i thought that car you get was crap,thankfully you don't have to go far

the city looks great,but i did notice the woman in red repeated a lot of times(she looks kinda like the woman in red from the Matrix)..i first noticed her in the Diner as i tried looking down her top talking to her as she was sat down,and then i left the Diner on foot and she kept popping up every few people....kinda bizarre

people have said that the 360 version(which i played) looks awful and has screen tearing and to go with the PC version,while i don't doubt the PC version is the better looking of all,i didn't get any screen tearing(tilted the camera vigorously back and forth,left and right to try and see it) or i didn't think it looked bad,although i am playing on an SDTV...and for once the text DID look tiny,i hope they can fix that before release,especially as i opted for subtitles
« Last Edit: August 10, 2010, 07:57:41 PM by metallicorphan » Logged

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2010, 08:45:28 PM »

there is a compare video here
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzkIhgp27r8

that shows the 360,PS3 and PC versions.....all look fine and not that far from each other(more debris i think in PC) except when you look in the mirror..the PC version looks great,the PS3 not really as good,the 360 version bleeding horrible

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2010, 10:14:25 PM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on August 10, 2010, 07:56:03 PM

did everyone pick up the playboy in the kitchen? thumbsup thumbsup thumbsup thumbsup thumbsup thumbsup

I got one in the kitchen (labeled 1/5 in the demo) and one in the warehouse at the end (labeled 5/5).

I have to say it was a little bit jarring to have the pictures pop up at first.  But it seems like an interesting cross-promotion.

Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2010, 10:16:54 PM »

PC definitely superior.  Notice when they shoot the concrete and on the PC version the concrete chips actually accumulate on the ground whereas on the PS3 and 360 versions they just disappear into thin air.  Also there is just no comparison when looking into the mirror.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2010, 10:22:47 PM »

Quote from: Canuck on August 10, 2010, 10:16:54 PM

PC definitely superior.  Notice when they shoot the concrete and on the PC version the concrete chips actually accumulate on the ground whereas on the PS3 and 360 versions they just disappear into thin air.  Also there is just no comparison when looking into the mirror.

yeah that's the debris i was on about,looked great on PC

i don't think however there is a major difference to any of the platforms,if you are intending to buy it on any platform,i am sure you will be happy with whichever one you go for(PS3 has the added exclusive DLC on day one)

someone also mentioned on EG that the demo released today is a very old build(at least from last year they say)for all platforms

i heard Mafia I was much worse when comparing Console to PC

Bull-here are all 5 locations of the playboy Magazines if interested
http://www.msxbox-world.com/xbox360/features/article/474/Mafia-II-demo-Playboy-Mags-Guide.html

jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2010, 10:59:35 PM »

And don't miss the car wash in the gas station  slywink

But I'll be sure to check out the Playboys  ninja

I wonder if there will be a difficultly adjustment in the main game (I didn't look for it in the demo). Combat really is deadly if you are exposed for a couple of seconds. The cover system works very well, thankfully.

True, but when the snarky comment is served on a platter, you don't wait for the napkin. - Bullwinkle
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2010, 11:45:21 PM »

I haven't had a chance to try it out yet, but did anybody go into the options and change how the cars drive?  From a demo video I saw a while back it showed that you could change from "simulation" to "arcade" or something in response to a lot of the complaints that the driving in the first game was just too punishing.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
spigot

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2010, 12:23:41 AM »

The demo was good. I love the shotgun, so badass. The Playboys are a nice bonus too   icon_biggrin

So cannot wait for this game.

ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2010, 12:37:34 AM »

So do the playboys show full on nudity like a real mag or is it pixelated nudity like say God of War?
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2010, 01:14:21 AM »

Quote from: SensuousLettuce on August 11, 2010, 12:37:34 AM

So do the playboys show full on nudity like a real mag or is it pixelated nudity like say God of War?

Total nudity, nothing blanked out. At least on the first one I found.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Travis
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2010, 01:16:58 AM »

PERV!!!!

j/k I wondered the same thing.  I figured it had to be censored if it was a demo.  I couldn't imaging parents walking in on their kid "reading the articles" from an easily downloaded video game demo.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2010, 01:18:45 AM »

Quote from: Travis on August 11, 2010, 01:16:58 AM

PERV!!!!

j/k I wondered the same thing.  I figured it had to be censored if it was a demo.  I couldn't imaging parents walking in on their kid "reading the articles" from an easily downloaded video game demo.

nope, there be nudity.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
jztemple2

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2010, 01:57:35 AM »

Hopefully the game will live up to the trailer at the end of the demo. And also hopefully all those cool things I saw in there aren't going to be available only in the cutscenes.

To those of you who never played the first Mafia, the car handling was intended to represent the way the cars actually drove, or at least how it would be perceived that they drove. You get used to them.

pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2010, 02:45:43 AM »

BEWBS.

XBox Live Gamertag: Pr0ner
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2010, 02:55:56 AM »

Wow I gotta download this demo before it gets banned from PSN for corrupting our youth!
Boudreaux

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2010, 03:26:07 AM »

Any demo that ends with John Lee Hooker = WIN.

I'm really torn between PC and 360, though.  PC looks loads better, but I can trade in my 360 copy for decent cash.  Hmm...

XBox Live:  JNacht
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2010, 01:12:08 PM »

I played through the demo and I enjoyed it on the whole.  A couple of niggling things that I didn't like, as someone already said you don't get much reaction when you stick guns in peoples faces and I slammed into a guard rail at 90 mph (and died of course) but the car just stopped dead.  I was hoping the car would just fly right through it.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2010, 02:43:37 PM »

the city looks great,but i did notice the woman in red repeated a lot of times(she looks kinda like the woman in red from the Matrix)..i first noticed her in the Diner as i tried looking down her top talking to her as she was sat down,and then i left the Diner on foot and she kept popping up every few people....kinda bizarre

It's funny, first time I loaded up the game she was standing right outside the front window, looking in.  it's also fun blowing up cars- 2 shots in the right area and BOOM!

Quote from: Canuck on August 11, 2010, 01:12:08 PM

I slammed into a guard rail at 90 mph (and died of course)

I rammed into a building and got the same thing, and I wasn't even going all that fast.  apparently your character doesn't use seatbelts.  I also got into a car chase with cops who had tommy guns, and it was annoying they could pull up next to me guns blazing but apparently you're not allowed to shoot out of cars as far as I can tell.

Because I can,
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2010, 03:14:08 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on August 11, 2010, 02:43:37 PM

It's funny, first time I loaded up the game she was standing right outside the front window, looking in.  it's also fun blowing up cars- 2 shots in the right area and BOOM!

I rammed into a building and got the same thing, and I wasn't even going all that fast.  apparently your character doesn't use seatbelts.  I also got into a car chase with cops who had tommy guns, and it was annoying they could pull up next to me guns blazing but apparently you're not allowed to shoot out of cars as far as I can tell.

Did cars even have seatbelts in the 50s?

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 11, 2010, 03:22:41 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on August 11, 2010, 03:14:08 PM

Quote from: CeeKay on August 11, 2010, 02:43:37 PM

good point, they were a backwards people back then.

Because I can,
spigot

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 11, 2010, 05:04:08 PM »

Nice seeing some cars being a little zippier. I can't forget how tedious it was to get around the city in the first game when everything moved like a slug in molasses and handled like a tank. I'm really liking the music too.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2010, 05:11:09 PM by spigot » Logged

Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 11, 2010, 05:06:29 PM »

at least from the first mafia, your friends would fire back when you drove, but i don't remember being able to do that myself.  it would be nice if you could at least use the pistol to fire back.  

things i noticed in the demo.  the car handling is pretty much as i remember it, which is a good thing as i see it.  made getting those faster cars more enjoyable later on.  i also like that you can store cars.  not sure if it's like saints row where the car respawns after it's lost, but i kind of doubt it as it goes against the realism they have going here.  i also like that aspect of it, like the little bits of environmental interactions you can have while in your house.  the playboy popup was quite a surprise and between that and the regular cursing, make this game fit the M rating.  

the graphics were a bit grainy, but i hope that's due to the early build in the demo as it was a bit distracting at first.  of course, the first thing i noticed afterwards was that the mission was set in the 50's, not the 40's as has been shown before.  maybe that's what the first notice referred to.  i would have liked to see the 40's actually, with the snow and all.  the difficulty level was perfect and the combat is nicely balanced.  pistols are great for long range, shotguns dominate the face to face range, and the tommy just kicks ass all around.  pretty much like i remember except for the biggest thing;  they have dropped the ammo per clip aspect of reloading.  now, it's pretty much like every other game and you don't lose the ammo left in the clip.  imo, it's a shame as it was one of the ways the first game was different and it made the decision to reload more important.  they also went with regenerating health, which i am not fond of here either.  i hope they haven't dropped other details from the first like fuel usage and refilling stations and having your gas tank shot causing a leak.  

one thing i am hoping for the game is that they send you on a mission to take out an old ex mobster in his front lawn.  would be a nice nod to the first one.  of course, more references would not be a bad thing at all.  

"It's like chess with big guns against aliens. Which isn't like chess at all when I think about it." - Jake Solomon
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 11, 2010, 05:32:42 PM »

Unfortunately, I'm going to have to pass on this.

Mafia is one of my favorite games of all time.

However, there's just too much cursing and the inclusion of Playboy makes this a double whammy...given my proclivities.  

I can't have this game in my house.  Therefore, I won't be playing it.

Does anyone know if Playboy in Dead Rising 2 will be handled the same way?
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: August 11, 2010, 05:47:22 PM »

Quote from: Caine on August 11, 2010, 05:06:29 PM

at least from the first mafia, your friends would fire back when you drove, but i don't remember being able to do that myself.  it would be nice if you could at least use the pistol to fire back.  

In the original you could fire a one hand weapon (pistol) while driving.

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: August 11, 2010, 07:18:41 PM »

Quote from: coopasonic on August 11, 2010, 05:47:22 PM

Quote from: Caine on August 11, 2010, 05:06:29 PM

In the original you could miss with a one hand weapon (pistol) while driving.

Fixed that for you. slywink
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 11, 2010, 07:21:29 PM »

Quote from: SensuousLettuce on August 11, 2010, 05:32:42 PM

not if its like magazines in DR1...when Frank opened a magazine,you just heard him,.....approving

but i suppose anything is possible for DR2,it prolly will be rated 18 here in the UK because of the zombie violence..so some hot nakedness could slip in there

naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 11, 2010, 07:24:27 PM »

However, there's just too much cursing and the inclusion of Playboy makes this a double whammy...given my proclivities.  

You dont' have to open the playboys.  The covers from what I seen doesn't have any nudity, it's when you open them. 

It's possible there could be a setting to disable the cursing.

I understand why, and I'm not questioning your standards, they're valid.  But there might be alternatives
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: August 11, 2010, 07:59:28 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on August 11, 2010, 03:14:08 PM

I feel like I'm doing Isgrimnur's job here but...

http://inventors.about.com/library/inventors/bl_seat_belts.htm

Volvo had the first safety belts in 1849.

The first U.S. patent for automobile seat beats was issued to Edward J. Claghorn of New York, New York on February 10, 1885.

From wikipedia:
American car manufacturers Nash (in 1949) and Ford (in 1955) offered seat belts as options, while Swedish Saab first introduced seat belts as standard in 1958.[16] After the Saab GT 750 was introduced at the New York motor show in 1958 with safety belts fitted as standard, the practice became commonplace.[17]

However, the first modern three point seat belt (the so-called CIR-Griswold restraint) used in most consumer vehicles today was patented in 1951 by the Americans Roger W. Griswold and Hugh De Haven,[18] and developed to its modern form by Nils Bohlin for Swedish manufacturer Volvo—who introduced it in 1959 as standard equipment.

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 11, 2010, 08:02:31 PM »

Gameplay-wise this reminds me a lot of Saboteur. Can the first mafia game be compared to the kind of gameplay as well? I mean, open-world stuff to do, missions to continue the actual story, and stuff to do like collect cars and such?

A new one
Isgrimnur

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 11, 2010, 08:06:15 PM »

Quote from: coopasonic on August 11, 2010, 07:59:28 PM

I feel like I'm doing Isgrimnur's job here but...

icon_lol  Nice to know I have a reputation as a compulsive forum researcher.  I actually had to stop myself from running down those details earlier.  Thanks for picking up the slack.

Hadron Smasher on 360; IsgrimnurTTU on PS3

I'd rather be watching hockey.
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 11, 2010, 08:22:25 PM »

I saw that spigot Tongue  Just not sure how that applies to my post
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 11, 2010, 08:27:47 PM »

Quote from: Razgon on August 11, 2010, 08:02:31 PM

Gameplay-wise this reminds me a lot of Saboteur. Can the first mafia game be compared to the kind of gameplay as well? I mean, open-world stuff to do, missions to continue the actual story, and stuff to do like collect cars and such?
no, not really.  there were a linear mission order in mafia 1 iirc and you only got the open world experience during the transit portions and in a separate open world game mode which wasn't tied to your character.  it had challenges and some exploration but it wasn't very deep.  more like offering you the chance to revisit the places in the main game and see how the world worked when you weren't in the story.

i hope they did away with that now and give you the freedom to take missions when you want and explore while you don't.  then it could be remeniscent of saboteur i guess, but without the nazi's and the occupation aspects.  if you want, imagine that sean adopts an italian accent and moves overseas after the war, i guess.  biggrin

despite finishing up saboteur, i kind of have the hankering to play through it again. 

spigot

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 11, 2010, 08:30:26 PM »

Quote from: naednek on August 11, 2010, 08:22:25 PM

I saw that spigot Tongue  Just not sure how that applies to my post

What did you see? I didn't see anything.   ninja icon_biggrin

ATB

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 11, 2010, 08:42:43 PM »

Quote from: naednek on August 11, 2010, 07:24:27 PM

You dont' have to open the playboys.  The covers from what I seen doesn't have any nudity, it's when you open them. 

It's possible there could be a setting to disable the cursing.

I understand why, and I'm not questioning your standards, they're valid.  But there might be alternatives

I thought about that Ken, but it's just too tempting.  Especially since it's a collectible...and in games I like I have to find them all.  Just gamer OCD that way. 

I'm really hoping this isn't how it's implemented in DR2...I will be heartbroken not to play it.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: