http://gamingtrend.com
April 20, 2014, 08:34:07 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Madden 09 impressions  (Read 5555 times)
Canuck
Gaming Trend Senior Member

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 15, 2008, 02:49:35 AM »

I wish I could understand football.  Football seems like the sport which is best suited to a console translation but I just have no friggen idea what is going on!  I can't understand what the plays mean so I just choose one and then I have no idea what happens to the football after the snap-sometimes I think my runner has it when the quarterback actually faked and sometimes I think the quarterback has it when  he actually passed it off to the runner.  How can you beat any game where you keep faking yourself out?
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 15, 2008, 11:48:06 AM »

'Nuck - I'm sure someone else in here could help you with an easy way to learn the plays but I'll suggest practice and slow motion replays to break down what happened. Why not choose plays by type? That way you'll know if something is a run or pass right from the play call and bring up the play diagram when you get to the line.

In other news:
Thinking that the IQ thing might have some problems. Last night I'm beating up on the Bills and in the second half, they start having to throw thy ball all over the place to try and catch up. I drop back in the nickle and just let them have 5-7 yards at a clip as time is wasting away and actually come up with 4 picks and one returned for a TD. Yet when the game ends, my pass defense IQ went down! Sure, I gave up a lot of meaningless yards but nothing on the scoreboard. Kinda sucks that they don't take situations into account.

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 15, 2008, 12:04:15 PM »

I've given up on the IQ system and I just play straight all-pro across the board.  The more I play the game the more I like how it feels.  Many of the things like bad kick coverage and lack of pass rush from NCAA 09 seem to be tightened up.

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
Clanwolfer

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 15, 2008, 02:45:29 PM »

I might pick this up on the way home, but only to slam PeteRock as the Redskins, since I skipped doing that last year, and to get Head Coach, which I'm desperately jonesing for.

denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 15, 2008, 02:50:15 PM »

Quote from: Clanwolfer on August 15, 2008, 02:45:29 PM

I might pick this up on the way home, but only to slam PeteRock as the Redskins, since I skipped doing that last year, and to get Head Coach, which I'm desperately jonesing for.

I played around a little bit with Head Coach last night.  It seems very deep and the interface is vastly improved over the first version. I'm looking forward to diving into it more this weekend.  I wish it supported online franchise mode.  Maybe next year.

PeteRock

Fabulous is a state of being. For me, anyways.

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 15, 2008, 02:53:20 PM »

Quote from: denoginizer on August 15, 2008, 12:04:15 PM

I've given up on the IQ system and I just play straight all-pro across the board.  The more I play the game the more I like how it feels.  Many of the things like bad kick coverage and lack of pass rush from NCAA 09 seem to be tightened up.

Normally I like to play on Pro, but I've noticed that All-Pro does seem to feel more "right."  Given Philadelphia's annual struggles with our run defense, that has translated well to the virtual representation, having given up 200+ yards to Jamal Lewis last night.   mad icon_redface

Handing pr0ner his ass has become somewhat of an annual tradition for me, but for some reason I really struggle against denoginizer.  Rather than thinking about what an NFL team would do in a particular situation, I need to think about what HE would do.  I also really have to tighten up my defense.  On offense, while I try to maintain a more balanced attack, against pr0ner's Redskins I was really able to move the ball through the air, and while my running game was solid enough, I still struggled.

Quote from: Clanwolfer on August 15, 2008, 02:45:29 PM

icon_biggrin

I haven't seen you online for ages.  The more the merrier.  When denoginizer and I finished up last night pr0ner logged on right as I was about to call it quits and we got in one and 3/4 fun games (the 3/4 game was disrupted by me being booted off of the EA servers and off of Live completely  mad).  

All this animosity toward me and my Eagles.   icon_confused  Don't hate me because I'm fabulous.  Fabulous

Wait, you've waited until now to pick up Madden?  And you call yourself a football fan.  For shame.   icon_wink

Beauty is only skin deep.  Which is why I take very good care of my skin.
Clanwolfer

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 15, 2008, 03:12:09 PM »

Quote from: PeteRock on August 15, 2008, 02:53:20 PM

All this animosity toward me and my Eagles.   icon_confused  Don't hate me because I'm fabulous.  Fabulous

Wait, you've waited until now to pick up Madden?  And you call yourself a football fan.  For shame.   icon_wink

But you make hating them so easy....

And yes, I've waited until now, and I don't call myself a football fan... just a hockey fan in a cruel world that still has summers in it.  smile

denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 15, 2008, 04:58:19 PM »

Quote from: PeteRock on August 15, 2008, 02:53:20 PM

Normally I like to play on Pro, but I've noticed that All-Pro does seem to feel more "right."  Given Philadelphia's annual struggles with our run defense, that has translated well to the virtual representation, having given up 200+ yards to Jamal Lewis last night.   mad icon_redface

I am starting to get the hang of the running game a little more.  It seems like you definitely have to be more patient this year.  It's not like previous Maddens where you could just run into the backs of your linemen and get an easy 4 yards.  Also I think manually controlling a lead blocker really helps if you see a guy who will be unblocked pre-snap.

Mithridates

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 15, 2008, 05:22:55 PM »

Quote from: Canuck on August 15, 2008, 02:49:35 AM

I wish I could understand football.  Football seems like the sport which is best suited to a console translation but I just have no friggen idea what is going on!  I can't understand what the plays mean so I just choose one and then I have no idea what happens to the football after the snap-sometimes I think my runner has it when the quarterback actually faked and sometimes I think the quarterback has it when  he actually passed it off to the runner.  How can you beat any game where you keep faking yourself out?

eek

I am having a hard time comprehending, your post is akin to someone telling me they don't understand why 1+1=2.  I can understand not understanding all the options and what the different defenses mean. But to be clueless about football just doesn't seem possible!!!
« Last Edit: August 15, 2008, 05:26:29 PM by Mithridates » Logged
PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 15, 2008, 10:08:21 PM »

My weekly man-date playing pool with Moliere is starting an hour earlier than usual, so I could possibly be home at a reasonable hour and potentially be sober enough to stay awake long enough to play a game or two of Madden.  Hell, who am I kidding, at least the first part is true.  I should be able to stay awake, but sobriety is a silly thing for me to even suggest on a Friday night.  Or any night for that matter.

Bring it, Clanwolfer.  You wussed out last year and thought that not buying the game would save you from gridiron humiliation.  All it did was postpone it until this year.   ninja2 

mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: August 15, 2008, 11:00:05 PM »

Quote from: Canuck on August 15, 2008, 02:49:35 AM

Boy, you just said why I never buy one of these games.  Brilliant capturing of my exact mindset with just about any console sports game really.  I think the games are cool-I just can't play them.  Much like Ninja Gaiden.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

Gamertag: St0ckBroker

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 18, 2008, 02:41:01 PM »

I took the Wii version online yesterday and really had a blast.  The online setup is pretty slick, especially in comparison to other Wii games.  I played 2 unranked games, then created an EA account and played 1 ranked game.  I went 0-3...

I am not that good at passing, but I still had fun regardless.  One thing that I thought was great is the Mercy/Friendly Quit rule (I'm sure it isn't new).  I was getting beat 35-10 at half-time, my 11 month old daughter was crying and I really wanted to quit.  Thankfully, my opponent offered me Mercy and I was able to quit without it counting as a drop.

Other than that blow-out, my other 2 games were pretty close and the stats were actually pretty realistic. 

One other thing I forgot to mention is that my opponent during the blow-out was kind of cheap when he kicked off to me.  He kicked it high and about halfway to the end zone.  The offensive AI didn't seem to know how to handle that type of kick and he actually caught his own kickoff once...  Hopefully people won't abuse this.

Chris

Go Gunners...
PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 18, 2008, 03:24:38 PM »

Quote from: Eco-Logic on August 18, 2008, 02:41:01 PM

One other thing I forgot to mention is that my opponent during the blow-out was kind of cheap when he kicked off to me.  He kicked it high and about halfway to the end zone.  The offensive AI didn't seem to know how to handle that type of kick and he actually caught his own kickoff once...  Hopefully people won't abuse this.

Chris

Last night I played against someone who had created a play with a direct snap to the various receivers.  No matter what I did it always resulted in a 6 to 8 yard gain.  And he rain a hurry-up offense with this same play over and over again.   Roll Eyes

I am beginning to think that the running game is "off."  A friend mentioned that he got the impression that when he'd call for blocking to the left, the line would push right, and when he'd call for blocking to the right, they'd push left.  I actually tried calling for blocking to the right even though I was running left and it seemed to work a little better.   icon_confused  I've been playing Madden for years and usually fare pretty well, but this season's version has been an outright struggle from the start.  The running game is much harder than last year, slant passes are F-ing unstoppable on defense, and when I played a friend who used his own skill IQ while I played on Pro difficulty I was handed my ass 49-3.  He completed 100% of his passes, my defense missed every one-on-one tackle, which resulted in a touchdown each and every time, and when on offense every one of my receivers was covered on every play.  In one game he passed for over 400 yards while I struggled with 57 total yards on offense.  It was ridiculous.  I can understand having the AI compensate for some struggles with passing, but to complete 100% of his pass attempts with a touchdown on every drive?  It got to be ridiculous.

Normally I absolutely love playing through a season in SP, but so far I've really struggled on even the Pro difficulty.  I'll still play the crap out of it, but the more I play the more issues I discover.   icon_frown

Fuzzballx

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 24, 2008, 02:22:17 AM »

I really don't get why people didn't get into 2k all pro 08 given all these complaints...the only complaint i've had with 2k 08 was the kick mechanics...which i totally love in madden 09.

I played a few aborted matches and then just now finishede my first franchise game playing as the Texans  (Full 60 minute game).  I skipped the madden test because in the demo i scored max on all but pass defense or something and it was just bullshit. Skipping the test started me with an IQ of 500 which turned into 455 by the time the game was over.

I could tell the game adjusted to me big time as i was playing.  By 1 minute to go in the first half i was up 16-0.  I lost the game 43 to 41 or 43 to 42, something right close in there like that. 

Here's my points of interest:

1: I got 11 penalties called against me while on offense for holding (only for holding every time).  I got no pentalties on defense.  The oppositions got zero penalties the entire game on offense and defense.

So i give #1 a big ole WHAT THE FUCK!?!

2: run coverage is stupid insane most of the time.  I was able to score some downs and some 7-12 yard runs though after working with it, but omfgolly, so often you set up for a run and the defense has 2 defenders just breeze through your line it DOESNT exist (its almost like they just warp through it) and clothesline your ass like a fucking wet tshirt.  It's Sooooooooo frustrating.

3: I threw 4 interceptions in the second half (none in the first). This was very frustrating but i'm certain more than half the issue was my noobness throwing at a defender or something.  Takes getting used to making sure your throwing NOT into a defenders face ... i'm just  noob QB though, i'm getting the hang of that.

4: Slants...i found tremendous success calling slant routes for my WRs.  Not 100% success though.  There was many times the defense had some coverage hanging out in the middle which made slant passes very difficult, but more often than not i could get by with good gains on slant routes if i passed at just the right time.  I really couldn't say whether this was working well compared to real football or if slants were too easy to make...cause honestly it seems to me those would be the best way to get your WR open.    In Goal Line Blitz which is the only other football i'm familiar with, slant routes also seem to work pretty darn well when you have a high agilty possession receiver running the route.   I think my best receiver is the one i threw to 8 times out of 10 when i needed a slant route to get me 7-10 yards on a 3rd down.  Think i made 90% of those but had an interception or 2 (again, likely my fault being a noob).

5: My team sustained OVER A DOZEN INJURIES!  (all but one just bruising that was classified as "will return soon" and were back in the game pretty quick) but shit....over a dozen!  The opposition sustained only one injury and that was on special teams with 1 minute to go in the game....so again... WHAT THEFUCK!!!!?

The game seems very biased against the player in single player.  I actually preferred 2k 08 which didn't unfairly penalize the player with extremely unbalanced numbers of penalties and injuries.  But wtf...most people play madden so if i want multiplayer i have to play madden.

I'm just goddamned worried about people figuring out and using stupid tricks against my noob struggling to learn football ass that are just unbeatable.  I'm hearing (largely from Pete's posts) that this is the norm in Madden games, and that's got me scared about my 60 bucks right now.

I really hope we can get some friendly games going that don't just end up as bullshit  smile

Lookin foward to playin ya Pete now that i'm settling in and learning the game and stuff as the Texans.  I did learn a TON from my first 60 minute game that should help me improve rapidly in my next few games.

One super question though, can i use the simple playcalling in multiplayer?  I've found that to be the only way i can really playcall for defensive plays without a lot more football knowledge.  I was also doing okay using that on offense with large amounts of audibles to assist in making the offense plays form up how i wanted.

I wish you could set simple playcalling for defense and offense seperately so you could do advanced on one and simple on the other...but EA in the infinite wisdom likes to pidgeonhole people.

See ya on the field guys, someone send me an invite for a friendly game tonight or tomorrow!
Fuzzballx

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 24, 2008, 04:28:22 AM »

Just played my first regular season game.

Texans 47, Steelers 45.  Woot! a win!

On the flipside...i ran like 5 times the entire game...on the upside of the flipside...one of em was a 7 yard TD run.

I mixed it up a TON on the passing.  Definitely possible to pass without using slants every time.  I even pulled off a couple of very very difficult (it was really hard, trust me smile ) 45 yard TDs that included about a 35 yard run.  The other 4 were identified so fast that the entire D-line warped onto my HB and flattened him like a german pancake.
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 24, 2008, 04:47:14 AM »

I just put up madden on ebay.  I'm tired of the catch up AI.  It has been present in this series since at least 2003.  There's no excuse for it.
Clanwolfer

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 24, 2008, 05:33:40 AM »

I'm definitely getting used to this now that I reset my Madden Test so it's not all All-Madden (for some reason, I do great in the virtual trainer but awful on the field) - so far less frustrating now.

Very much looking forward to a real human opponent, though.

Fuzzballx

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 24, 2008, 10:29:55 PM »

Send me a game invite clanwolfer...if we're on at the same time. "Fuzzx"

I'm definitely feeling the hatred for catch up AI and other BS in this game....hoping that multiplayer really is all that..but who knows...
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 24, 2008, 10:44:25 PM »

Odd, I haven't seen any catchup AI as of yet and I'm surprisingly 4-0 with the 49ers.

gellar
madpeon
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 24, 2008, 10:51:13 PM »

Got lucky with a clearance at Target... Madden 09 Collector's for 45 (PS3), couldn't resist.

Will be my first Madden game... ever!
« Last Edit: August 24, 2008, 10:55:26 PM by madpeon » Logged
Fuzzballx

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: August 25, 2008, 01:19:42 AM »

I'm seeing the catch up AI big time in longer games (playing 60 minute franchise games)  When up by a significant amount in the first 30 minutes, the AI gets a LOT harder as the game goes on to stop.

The game i'm in right now for example, I was up 21 to 3 at half time...I made 2 interceptions in the first half as well.  Now at the end of the 3rd quarter, i've been unable to stop a single drive by the opposition at all...they just come out of nowhere, can't be stopped, can't be blocked, can't be picked, can't be deflected, can't be sacked anymore, they're just insane on steriods....their players practically warp to the ball in the air and their rushers can push 3 tackles foward 4-5 yards it seems  like...it's crazy.  I can totally notice the catch up AI, it's happening every game now where i'm up big at  half time and by the end of the 4th i'm lucky to win by a few points.

It isn't every single play, but it is there, and it's very noticable.

And what the hell is it with the lack of blocking on the player team?  It's seriously anger generating.  You try a run, the defense nails it almost every time...not quite, but damn near every time.

So many times i set up for a run play, and as soon as the snap happens, the defense instantly disappears from a large area right in front of the HB, and 2 defenders appear through the massive hole at Mach 20 for a massive hit.

Too much impossible and stupid shit happening on a consistent basis for the single player to hold me anymore...i'm giving up on it already as just no fun, too much dumb gaming and not enough real football feel.  Still up for trying MP matches though if anyone wants to...or i'm loading up 2k 08 again.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2008, 01:23:57 AM by Fuzzballx » Logged
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 25, 2008, 02:23:53 AM »

I've seen it in 7 min quarters.  It usually during the 2nd half.
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 25, 2008, 02:30:02 AM »

Yeah... definitely not seeing the catchup AI at 8 min quarters.  I'm now 5-0 after beating New England 30-28.  Then again, I am never up big at the half or at any point in the game... it's always pretty close.  Maybe that's why.

I absolutely do see the run game stuff though.  I've noticed it's worse when you try to run with a lead blocker - the fullback whiffs on 80% of his blocks leaving you to get destroyed.  I have much better luck running single back.  Also - I NEVER touch the sprint button until I'm past the line because it seems to me that anytime my finger even comes close to the sprint button I'm tackled by the guy who is closest to me.

That being said, even with those two things that seem to work, my runs seem to go 1-4 yards or 50+ yards with almost nothing in between.

gellar
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 25, 2008, 02:58:59 AM »

I have observed some things that can help run against All-Pro or better AI.

1.  To run effectively you need to use the lead blocking controls with the fullback.  If you get to a LB with the blocker the AI will get the back through the whole and then switch control back to you with the running back.  If you see a LB uncovered on the outside of the tackle you are running toward, either motion a TE to cover him or use the fullback to block him.

2.  Run at the bubbles.  If you see an uncovered offensive lineman run right behind him. It is much easier to run inside against a 3 man line.  If all of your linemen are covered and you have an inside run called audible to something else.

3.  As Geller said, do not hit the sprint button unless you are clear of the line of scrimmage.  Not only do the AI defenders gravitate to you, but your stiff arms/truck stick moves will not be as effective if you are sprinting.

IkeVandergraaf

RRoD FTL! F MS!

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 25, 2008, 08:55:56 PM »

Quote from: Clanwolfer on August 24, 2008, 05:33:40 AM

I'm definitely getting used to this now that I reset my Madden Test so it's not all All-Madden (for some reason, I do great in the virtual trainer but awful on the field) - so far less frustrating now.

How do you reset the Madden test?  Other than deleting your save.

Gamertag = IkeV
I KNOW DEEP IN MY NMIND THAT THIS DISGUSTING WEBSITE THAT IS OBIVOUSLY OPERATED BY HIGHSCHOOL DROPOUTS LIVING PURPOSELESS AND JOBLESS LIVES
Clanwolfer

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 26, 2008, 12:32:30 AM »

Quote from: IkeVandergraaf on August 25, 2008, 08:55:56 PM

It's in the 'Game Modes' menu... taking it again just resets everything to your new scores.  I find a few shots first helped me reach the right balance.

Blackadar

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 26, 2008, 01:17:46 AM »

Quote from: Fuzzballx on August 25, 2008, 01:19:42 AM

I'm seeing the catch up AI big time in longer games (playing 60 minute franchise games)  When up by a significant amount in the first 30 minutes, the AI gets a LOT harder as the game goes on to stop.

The game i'm in right now for example, I was up 21 to 3 at half time...I made 2 interceptions in the first half as well.  Now at the end of the 3rd quarter, i've been unable to stop a single drive by the opposition at all...they just come out of nowhere, can't be stopped, can't be blocked, can't be picked, can't be deflected, can't be sacked anymore, they're just insane on steriods....their players practically warp to the ball in the air and their rushers can push 3 tackles foward 4-5 yards it seems  like...it's crazy.  I can totally notice the catch up AI, it's happening every game now where i'm up big at  half time and by the end of the 4th i'm lucky to win by a few points.

It isn't every single play, but it is there, and it's very noticable.

And what the hell is it with the lack of blocking on the player team?  It's seriously anger generating.  You try a run, the defense nails it almost every time...not quite, but damn near every time.

So many times i set up for a run play, and as soon as the snap happens, the defense instantly disappears from a large area right in front of the HB, and 2 defenders appear through the massive hole at Mach 20 for a massive hit.

Too much impossible and stupid shit happening on a consistent basis for the single player to hold me anymore...i'm giving up on it already as just no fun, too much dumb gaming and not enough real football feel.  Still up for trying MP matches though if anyone wants to...or i'm loading up 2k 08 again.

This is my single biggest complaint about sports games and I've just about given up entirely on the genre because of it.  I hate, hate, hate catch-up code.  It's entirely unfair and penalizes the player for playing well.  Madden's had some pretty lousy catch-up code for years. 

My last two sports games were NBA 2K 08 and NCAA Football 08.  I ran into catch-up code in both - the former where I watched a 20 point halftime lead vanish as my team missed shot after shot, including layups while the computer hit desperation 3 pointers virtually every time down the court.  I think at some point my team went like 0-18 in shooting.  That's when I snapped the disk in half.  Something similar happened in NCAA, when a 24 halftime lead vanished as my team put the ball on the ground like 3 times in the 2nd half, losing every single fumble, along with a return for touchdown and my solid running game evaporated as my OL stopped blocking entirely.  The changes in both games were so noticeable and the experiences so annoying that if there's even a hint of catch-up code in the game, I won't play it.  I don't play to get frustrated as the computer suddenly deems that I should lose. 

Raise the bridge! I have an erection!
IkeVandergraaf

RRoD FTL! F MS!

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 26, 2008, 04:30:57 PM »

Quote from: Clanwolfer on August 26, 2008, 12:32:30 AM

Quote from: IkeVandergraaf on August 25, 2008, 08:55:56 PM

It's in the 'Game Modes' menu... taking it again just resets everything to your new scores.  I find a few shots first helped me reach the right balance.

I was hoping there was some way to reset the sliders to neutral values, but still use the my-skill feature.  When I take the test, I crush the offensive parts, but can't do anything defensively.

I've never been any good at defense.  I'm alright at calling plays, but I have no idea how to control the players.  My experience has been that when I try to control my own defensemen, I'm more likely to screw things up than to help.  Any tips or pointers?

Gamertag = IkeV
I KNOW DEEP IN MY NMIND THAT THIS DISGUSTING WEBSITE THAT IS OBIVOUSLY OPERATED BY HIGHSCHOOL DROPOUTS LIVING PURPOSELESS AND JOBLESS LIVES
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 26, 2008, 05:52:49 PM »

Posted by one of the developers over at Op Sports:

Well as I post this it’s officially been exactly two weeks since Madden officially launched, and wow it sure has been a busy time for us. I truly hope everyone is enjoying the game, and I wanted to drop an update on some things we’ve been working on for our 2nd patch. We feel that without a doubt this encapsulates the top issues we’re hearing from the forums and community leaders, and hope that this list truly makes Madden NFL 09 the ultimate sports game for you.

1. Kicking play disconnect: If two opponents play a game with two different camera angles, in any situation where a game winning or tying kick was to be made, a disconnect could occur. “ActionCam” forces the game to go into slow-motion to add drama to these late kicks, but unfortunately the Classic camera does not, thus forcing the “disconnect”. This has been fixed…and FYI all cameras will still be able to be used after the patch.
Workaround until the patch: If possible, ensure that you and your opponent have the same camera type chosen before starting an online game.
2. Stability issues in the play call / halftime highlights / postgame highlights screens (especially in Franchise mode after training games): This was a hard one to track down as not everyone was seeing it , we did find the issue however with some Instant Replay / cache corruption, and have a fix ready for patch 2.
Workaround until the patch: Save and re-boot after any point where you have entered the game. We learned that the likelihood of this issue appearing is magnified after multiple loads into and out of the game engine. From what we’ve seen so far, people that have tried playing only one game at a time (or even one Franchise training session at a time), and saving/rebooting afterwards, have had zero crashes.
3. Stability issues with Madden IQ end of game popup: This has been fixed.
Workaround until the patch: Always choose “No” at the Madden IQ end of game popup.
4. “WR direct snap” exploit: Cheesers found an exploit to direct snap to a WR for easy short yardage gain. Not only are we fixing this play (i.e. we aren’t removing it), we are also going to be re-setting records for anyone with a winning record that has been found to be using this play.
5. Franchise Progression / Regression (or lack thereof): The lack of higher numbers was a tuning value that I think everyone agreed was just too low. This has been juiced up so you should see more realistic progression now.
6. Edited players don’t progress: Players were not progressing after their jersey number (or pretty much any other attribute) was edited. This has been fixed.
7. Stability issue when exiting Madden ’93 in CE version: This has been fixed.
8. Deep ball glitch: Some enterprising gamers found a way to throw a deep ball while crossing the LOS and hit a receiver wide open at a decent rate. We addressed this by making sure the DB will no longer break on the ball when the QB crosses the line while throwing.
9. CPU running out of bounds: This bug appears when the CPU tries to switch hands while running to the sidelines. This is fixed for patch 2.
10. Penalty sliders ineffective: A common complaint from the hardcore community was the lack of effect from the penalty sliders. We increased these substantially for patch 2.
11. Field degradation: Another common complaint was the lack of field degradation. Our effect was very subtle, which was also getting overshadowed by our lighting and post effects, so we increased this effect for the patch.
12. Stability issue with the Eagles and a full ring meter: We found and fixed a rare issue where the gamer could run into stability issues while using the Eagles in mini-games with a ring meter that was completely full.
13. Play call screen hitch: We found and fixed a bug that was causing a noticeable hitch when exiting the play call screen
14. Prevent Defense issue: We found and fixed an issue where defenders sharing a deep zone/prevent assignment would loosen their coverage (because they thought the other guy was covering for them), which allowed the receiver to get behind them even though they were in Prevent.
15. Brett Favre stats: With the late addition of Brett Favre, we were not able to get his Career and Season statistics into the game for the roster update. This has now been added for patch 2.
16. Defensive Preplay Mis-cue: We found and fixed an issue where defenders would leave their man wide open in a Cover 3.
17. CPU quick-snap: A very common complaint on the forums was the speed at which the CPU snapped the ball. We added a random length of time (no less than 5 seconds) for the CPU to wait and even make pre-play adjustments.
18. Online playbook switch: We fixed a small annoying little issue where playbooks were re-setting to the defaults after the playbook select popup was closed.

I hope this makes everyone quite happy. :-)

The patch is being tested as I write this and will be sent off for verification in the morning, so we are targeting less than a 3 week turnaround from today for this to hit the general public. (Woohoo!) We will also make sure to provide updates as the patch progresses through the 3rd party approval process. As a side note, as of this moment there have been no changes to database schema, so you won’t have to re-start your Franchise or delete any files.

It makes us very stoked to be able to make this many changes for a patch, and do them based directly on community feedback. There are always going to be folks that are upset if what they felt was a top issue wasn’t addressed, but I’ll state again (as I have before) that we have to keep balancing this work against Madden NFL 2010. The longer we keep going on patches, the less we can add to the following year’s product. On a side note, there is also a Franchise stability issue that we have been investigating, and we are working feverishly to get this figured out. We will update on that issue as soon as we can. As for the items above, I personally feel that we have hit a very good balance of top items because many of these issues can actually detract from an enjoyable experience, which is obviously the last thing we want.

And now that this patch is nearly out the door, I figured I’d drop some more good news… We have officially started building the TOTALLY FREE “Sim Madden Gamer” DLC pack, which includes Accelerated Clock, a “Classic” Controller Configuration, CPU Sliders, and Community Gamerpics for 360. I’ll state again that there’s no promise that this goes through, but we have nearly every one of these features actually ‘done’ internally, so now we have to figure out how to get Microsoft and Sony to allow us to release them.

Thanks everyone – keep the feedback coming, and let's keep this train a-rollin'!

Ian Cummings
Senior Designer, Madden NFL 2010

gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 26, 2008, 06:11:36 PM »

Wow.  That's a lot of good news right there.

gellar
IkeVandergraaf

RRoD FTL! F MS!

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: September 11, 2008, 03:48:41 PM »

Has that patch been released yet?  Also, anyone know if the "final" rosters are up yet?

Gamertag = IkeV
PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 11, 2008, 03:55:41 PM »

Quote from: IkeVandergraaf on September 11, 2008, 03:48:41 PM

Has that patch been released yet?  Also, anyone know if the "final" rosters are up yet?

I just played last night with Isgrimnur and there wasn't an update yet.  You're required to download a "current" roster prior to an online game but it doesn't seem all that current.  I don't know if Brady's injury has been updated, but both Kevin Curtis and Reggie Brown are out with injuries in real life but not in Madden even after the roster update.  So I guess the short answer is still "no." 

BEEFHAMMA
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 13, 2008, 05:16:57 AM »

PeteRock, you talk way too much smack. I'm coming out of retirement, buying an xbox, buying Madden 09, kicking your ass in my first game, and then re-retiring.
PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 13, 2008, 03:54:49 PM »

Quote from: BEEFHAMMA on September 13, 2008, 05:16:57 AM

PeteRock, you talk way too much smack. I'm coming out of retirement, buying an xbox, buying Madden 09, kicking your ass in my first game, and then re-retiring.

You don't have the rocks to do it.

Nope.

No chance. 

You won't do it.

No way.

Never.

Not in a million years.

Wanna play a game when you do?   icon_biggrin

Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: September 14, 2008, 04:20:40 AM »

So Pete and I just "simmed" the upcoming Dallas/Philly Monday night matchup. Assuming it is snowing in Texas Stadium, there is an odd lag in the action, and an idiot is calling in the Dallas plays, the Eagles will win 13-0  icon_lol

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
BEEFHAMMA
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: September 14, 2008, 09:52:37 PM »

Quote from: PeteRock on September 13, 2008, 03:54:49 PM

Quote from: BEEFHAMMA on September 13, 2008, 05:16:57 AM

You don't have the rocks to do it.

Nope.

No chance. 

You won't do it.

No way.

Never.

Not in a million years.

Wanna play a game when you do?   icon_biggrin

Yes
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: September 21, 2008, 08:22:10 PM »

This guy cracks me up. He's done a ton of youtube videos highlighting Madden 09 oddities. They can go on a little too long, but are funny.

The legend of judo stiff arm

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: September 21, 2008, 08:51:26 PM »

Supposedly the 2nd patch with a few significant fixes (mostly to do with Franchise play, I think) will be hitting tomorrow.

gellar
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: