http://gamingtrend.com
October 20, 2014, 11:57:22 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Madden 09 impressions  (Read 5686 times)
Teggy
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« on: August 13, 2008, 12:22:35 AM »

Got it for the 360 and have played through the test and one game so far. I can't say if it's good or bad, but here are some initial impressions.

The test is a cool idea, but I think it needs some tweaking.  I got all-madden difficulty for rush offense and rookie difficulty for rush defense. I know I am not that good at rushing, and when I played my first game I was lucky to get a yard on a rush.  Now, the good thing is that over time it will adjust down, but it seems the test was a little flawed.

The controls are overwhelming.  This has been a problem for me with more recent Madden games, and it's gotten worse.  I'm not saying that it is bad that there is that level of detail in the game, but I wish there was a good way to learn them. The virtual trainer doesn't seem as good a way to learn the controls as they training camp was, although I am now remembering I didn't look at what was under the mini-games menu, and maybe there is something good in there. But I would really like it if there were ways to easily do drills and learn how to do the lead blocking, total receiver control, highlight stick, weapons, shifts, audibles, etc. It's going to take a lot of patience for me to learn the game.

The first game was in the rain and there was a good amount of stuttering during the "cutscenes". I started up a game without rain and there was still some, but not as bad.  I'm curious if other people experience that.  I'm running at 720p.

Overall, I know I have barely scratched the surface of the game - there are so many modes that I'm looking forward to try out.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
JuniorDan

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2008, 12:39:45 AM »

Maybe I will just continue where I left on Madden 07 I don't think I will be missing much. Any word on All-Pro-football (APF2K9)

360 GAMERTAG:Juniordan       ()  ()  ()
Wii: 2834 4528 4246 3222 ()  ()  ()
PS3 Spinks
Captain Caveman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2008, 12:48:14 AM »

Quote from: JuniorDan on August 13, 2008, 12:39:45 AM

Any word on All-Pro-football (APF2K9)

Ain't happening.
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2008, 01:18:11 AM »

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2008, 01:43:30 AM »

In reading the OpSports review, the reviewers 8 year old son and his wife scored All-Madden in rushing as well.  You are not alone in thinking that particular test is just a wee bit off.

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2008, 02:18:00 AM »

Yeah - I was the Barry Sanders, Jim Brown and Eric Dickerson in the test and then was Wally Lundy when I hit the field for real.

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2008, 03:48:52 AM »

Quote from: Devil on August 13, 2008, 02:18:00 AM

Yeah - I was the Barry Sanders, Jim Brown and Eric Dickerson in the test and then was Wally Lundy when I hit the field for real.

Well on the field you aren't running against 1 guy at a time with the right button to press floating over his head.   slywink

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2008, 12:00:21 PM »

I agree, but why the hell would EA equate the two in the first place!

KC

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2008, 12:25:50 PM »

Not to derail the thread, but has anyone played the Wii version?  The previews suggest it is more newbie/casual friendly.
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2008, 12:26:09 PM »

Impressions are quite favorable across the board, from what I've been reading.

I've got impressions on the PSP version - from what I've played, it seems to be a solid game.  They've introduced a new "defensive cam" that switches the view, so it looks like you're playing offense.  Think of it like you're running up to get to the QB instead of down.

Yeah, it doesn't work, and I felt it jarring that it was on by default.

Other stuff includes a little ring around the icons when passing that either show red or green, depending on how open the receiving is.  I was sort of ticked that you can't turn it off, but it isn't a guaranteed catch if you throw it.  A DB can make a play that wasn't accounted for or you can lob it which gives the defender time to catch up.

I don't believe there is precision passing frown

There isn't Madden IQ (the game adapting to you), but there are the "Madden Moments" that use situations from last year and puts you in the role of a team.  Sorta neat.

The graphics look like what you'd imagine.  I've seen a few new animations that weren't in the PSP version in '08, and everything moves at a real slick clip.  There is a funky pause at the end of every play when going into the playcalling screen, however.

But it's all about gameplay, and that's where this version really feels solid.  I say FEELS because I've only played 1.5 games Tongue  

TheMissingLink on PSN
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2008, 01:30:53 PM »

A few quick impressions after 1 offline and 2 online games last night with the 360 version:

Positives:

-Presentation is leaps and bounds over previous next gen versions. Just the addition of Chis Collinsworth and Tom Hammonds as announcers makes a big difference.  I'm sure the commentary will get old after a while and I will turn it off. But so far so good.  Also replays are shown on the playcalling screen while you are calling plays instead of interrupting the flow of the game.  Collinsworth does little analysis segments after you throw an interception and breaks down the play very well.  It think it will generally help people to read the defense better and know what they did wrong.

-In 2 online games I didn't see any lag or interruption in the connections.  That is amazing for a release day EA Sports game. Maybe I was just lucky.  But so far I am impressed.

-All of the presnap adjustments from the PS2 version have finally been incorporated into the next gen version.  Defensive hot routes, slide protections, smart routes, formation specific audibles, etc. There is even supposed to be a way to save combinations of hot routes as audibles.  Although I haven't tried it yet.

-It seems like they have toned down the running game quite a bit. It is no longer an automatic 4 yards every time you run between the tackles and the pursuit on outside runs is much better than Madden 08.  Maybe too good.  You defiantly have to work for your rushing yards this year. 

-Control and animations are the best I have seen in Madden. 

-Lineplay and gang tackling are much improved over Madden 08.

Negatives.

-Widescreen mode through a VGA connection is still borked. In 1280x1024 mode I got a letterboxed picture.  I had to change to a true widescreen format for the game to display correctly.  Madden is the only game I have ever had this problem with. It has been an issue since Madden 07 and it blows my mind this hasn't been addressed.  It's not a huge deal. But it's annoying.

-Why did they not steal the play calling interface from NCAA 09?  mad In Madden you have to scroll to the play you want and press A.  In NCAA you can use all of the buttons to call plays so there is much less scrolling around on the playcalling screen.

-The CPU still snaps the ball way too fast on offense.  What's the point of giving us all of these pre snap adjustments on defense if we have no time to call them?  At least give us 5 seconds.

-There still is no easy way to update the roster other than starting up an online game and then quitting out of it.  I don't understand why EA doesn't give us a roster update feature in the main menu after all of these years.

So far I am impressed with the game. I think if people haven't played Madden in a few years this is a good time to try it.  They really have tried to help new players out by making button commands visible on the screen for every action, including pre-snap adjustments. I think if you are at all interested in football the game at least deserves a rental.

Devil

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2008, 01:42:33 PM »

-There still is no easy way to update the roster other than starting up an online game and then quitting out of it.  I don't understand why EA doesn't give us a roster update feature in the main menu after all of these years.

Really?

You need to quit an online game to get updated rosters?!

That's horrible!

denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2008, 02:39:48 PM »

Quote from: Devil on August 13, 2008, 01:42:33 PM

Really?

You need to quit an online game to get updated rosters?!

That's horrible!

I think you can get general roster updates through the EA Locker feature.  But I don't know of any other way to get the "official" EA roster updates for online play.

WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2008, 02:41:12 PM »

I love the posts that just say it stinks or where is APF2k9, very helpful.  Trolling?  I'd say so.

Quick impressions:
-run game is very fun this year, feels like I have much more control.
-graphics are very nice except for a stutter every once in a while.
-commentary is ass but better than "radio guy."
-AI does a few things that I dislike, for example, running out of bounds when they have open field in front of them.

Enjoying it so far.  Is it perfect?  No.  Is it the best football game to come out in the "next gen" era?  Yes.

The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2008, 02:49:46 PM »

Quote from: GatorFavre on August 13, 2008, 02:41:12 PM

I love the posts that just say it stinks or where is APF2k9, very helpful.  Trolling?  I'd say so.

Mine was more just a joke.  I think people here know I haven't bought it and won't.  I used to play Madden religiously back from the first game all the way up until about a year or two back. Not a problem with Madden, per se, just a problem with the fact that when I am playing Madden, I could be playing other games I enjoy more and I have gotten to a point where I don't feel like learning the controls anymore.  With greater realism, comes more things to press in order to do them and I just don't have it in me anymore.  So, a troll?  Maybe, but a very lighthearted one, if at all.  You don't post shots of Jay Sherman if you want to troll seriously.

WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2008, 03:07:11 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on August 13, 2008, 02:49:46 PM

Mine was more just a joke.  I think people here know I haven't bought it and won't.  I used to play Madden religiously back from the first game all the way up until about a year or two back. Not a problem with Madden, per se, just a problem with the fact that when I am playing Madden, I could be playing other games I enjoy more and I have gotten to a point where I don't feel like learning the controls anymore.  With greater realism, comes more things to press in order to do them and I just don't have it in me anymore.  So, a troll?  Maybe, but a very lighthearted one, if at all.  You don't post shots of Jay Sherman if you want to troll seriously.

Oh ok, that makes it much better. Ha ha.

PeteRock

Fabulous is a state of being. For me, anyways.

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2008, 04:50:56 PM »

So far I'm pleased with the game.  I played one offline game against the Giants in heavy rain and then one online game against denoginizer.

Positives:

- As denoginizer has said, our game had zero lag and our connection wasn't interrupted.  I don't think I've ever played an EA game on release day and not had the connection interrupted.  When I first loaded up the game I wasn't at all able to log on to EA's servers and thought, "Great.  Here we go."  But after a few minutes I was automatically logged on and was able to play a flawless game with denoginizer (flawless in terms of presentation and connection, not in terms of the game I played  disgust).

- Animations and graphics are the best yet.  Gang tackles are a great addition in terms of realism and while animations can sometimes get a little choppy they're still the best and most realistic to date.

- Collinsworth's commentary is top notch and probably the best of any Madden iteration.  But Hammonds sticks out like a sore thumb with wooden commentary, typical repetitive statements, and if I hear that son-of-a-bitch say, "I just wanted to take yet another moment to add that this game is brought to you by EA Sports.  It's in the game," just one more time I'm going to put my controller through my TV screen.   mad  During my game with denoginizer I heard him say it no less than 8 times in a game, and at one point he said it three times within minutes of each other.  I bought the fucking game.  I participate in Madden and EA Sports discussions in the intarweb every season just before the game's release, I fucking know it's made by EA Sports.  Is it really necessary for the announcers to keep bringing it up during a game?  Perhaps given EA Sports' reputation they'd be better off glossing over the fact that this game is brought to us by EA Sports.  And it's not like the emblem doesn't show up on every replay screen, scoreboards, menu screens, playcalling screens, etc.  Before our game denoginizer let me know that he didn't have his mic, and fortunately for him I didn't have mine on, either.  Otherwise he would have heard what I had to say in response to Hammonds after I grew painfully tired of his EA Sports plugs.

- The level of control with pre-snap adjustmets is the most developed I've ever seen.  I can direct my blockers to move in a particular direction after the snap, I can adjust receiver routes, I can even have receivers run "smart routes" on 3rd down which doesn't necessarily change the route pattern they follow but it causes them to take into consideration the 1st down marker while running their route. 

- The presentation is fantastic with score updates, statistics, graphical overlays, etc.  It really looks as close to a true football game as you can get.  The stadiums are rendered much more realistically as well. 

- Uniform degradation.  While this may seem like a minor advancement, it really adds to the realism of the game.  In previous Madden iterations you could play in a rainy mud puddle and you're team's uniforms would look like new.  Now as players put in time on the field they get mud on their uniforms, scuffs on their helmets, etc.  And players fresh off the bench stick out like a sore thumb with their pristine uniforms which will be short-lived.

Negatives:

- Slant routes seem to be pretty difficult to stop.  Whenever I found myself in trouble and facing a 3rd and long, typically a slant route would gain me the yardage I needed.

- The running game seems far less productive and much more difficult than last year.  With Brian Westbrook I was never able to gain more than a yard or two when running to the outside.  Seriously?  Brian Westbrook?  And rarely did I gain more than three yards running between the tackles.  And when considering how I worked pretty hard at balancing my play-calling in order to set up an ideal situation for a run play, yardage was almost always pretty disappointing.

- "I just wanted to take another unwanted and frustrating moment to yet again reiterate that this game is brought to you by EA Sports because we feel the need to beat this fact into your F-ing skull."   
mad mad mad mad mad mad mad mad mad mad mad mad mad mad mad mad mad mad mad mad mad
It wouldn't bother me so much if it wasn't repeated over and over and over and over and over and over again.     

- Lack of any field degradation.  Last year's Madden may not have had the most realistic grass evarzz!1!!111, but during a rainy game the field would gradually degrade and you'd have puddles, mud spots, the yard lines were worn away, etc.  Now, while your players finally show wear and tear on their uniforms and look like they've been playing in a mud bog, the field looks as clean and brand new as during the opening ceremonies. 

- Intuitive pass coverage.  While it is nowhere near as omnipotent as last year's game, passes are still knocked down pretty regularly and while a receiver may look open when you throw the ball, the defensive secondary is on your receiver almost instantaneously as if you were playing the X-Men and Nightcrawler was playing corner.  It is especially frustrating when the coverage is obviously beaten and yet they magically catch up to your receiver and before long he's in triple coverage.  If I've run the ball successfully and then run a play-action pass with a fake handoff to the halfback, there is no way the secondary shouldn't be fooled just long enough to create some separation.  And yet I might as well have simply held up a borrowed sign from the stands that reads, "My next play is going to be a pass play to Reggie Brown running a post route along the right sideline."   mad   

- Losing to denoginizer.  There is obviously a glitch in the game when you're defeated by Cleveland.   icon_wink

Overall I like the game, and while it may appear to the general public to be "more of the same," die hard football fans who also pay attention to the minutiae will notice some nice additions and refinements that continue to create a more realistic experience.  While the improvements may seem minor to some, I consider this year's Madden to be a more refined iteration with some welcomed improvements.  While some areas fall short, overall I am quite pleased and am looking forward to more fun online matches with friends.  Except for denoginizer.  There's no room for fun when all that matters is crushing your opponent.  This isn't over.   ninja2 

Beauty is only skin deep.  Which is why I take very good care of my skin.
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2008, 04:56:20 PM »

The running game seems far less productive and much more difficult than last year.  With Brian Westbrook I was never able to gain more than a yard or two when running to the outside.  Seriously?  Brian Westbrook?  And rarely did I gain more than three yards running between the tackles.  And when considering how I worked pretty hard at balancing my play-calling in order to set up an ideal situation for a run play, yardage was almost always pretty disappointing.

I knew this was coming!! I was going to say it because I had the same problem, but I knew you'd do it!

Thanks Petesy Pie!  icon_biggrin

Now we'll see the Madden defenders telling us we need to learn how to run in Madden.

Kills me!

PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2008, 05:10:46 PM »

Quote from: Devil on August 13, 2008, 04:56:20 PM

The running game seems far less productive and much more difficult than last year.  With Brian Westbrook I was never able to gain more than a yard or two when running to the outside.  Seriously?  Brian Westbrook?  And rarely did I gain more than three yards running between the tackles.  And when considering how I worked pretty hard at balancing my play-calling in order to set up an ideal situation for a run play, yardage was almost always pretty disappointing.

I knew this was coming!! I was going to say it because I had the same problem, but I knew you'd do it!

Thanks Petesy Pie!  icon_biggrin

Now we'll see the Madden defenders telling us we need to learn how to run in Madden.

Kills me!

It's one thing to suggest that one learn how to use all of the various controls to work for additional yardage (trying to break tackles, spin moves, jukes, stiff-arms, etc), but the problem I have is when you identify a weak area in the defense, you run your play to exploit that weakness, and the defense rebounds so quickly that you're hit for a loss.  For example, while playing the computer I noticed they were lined up heavy to the left side.  There was a wide-open field to my right.  Even the linebackers were cheating left.  And so I set up a play with the linemen pushing right, a fake handoff to the fullback running left and then a pitch right to Westbrook, and somehow the defensive linemen broke through and the linebackers were there just as Westbrook caught the pitch for a five yard loss.  The controls have nothing to do with sound offensive strategy.  What good does a spin move combined with a juke followed by a stiff arm finished with a burst of speed do if you're hit in the backfield before you even have control of the ball, during a play that should have left the defense wondering where things went horribly wrong.  And I'm sorry, but a play-action pass following a solid run game should create some kind of separation for the receivers.

But even despite these issues I still can't wait to play another game.  Devil, I'm not sure that I have you on my friends list.  Interested in a game?  Given your multi-team allegiance ( retard ), I'm sure you wouldn't be too put out if I play as the Eagles.   icon_wink

Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2008, 05:21:05 PM »

Appreciate the impressions very much.

Thanks, guys!

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2008, 05:51:56 PM »

I noticed something strange in the "manual" last night.  You can only strafe with DBs/CBs (left trigger, I think) if you are playing the lower 2 difficulty levels. Isn't strafing "in the game"?

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
Big Jake

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2008, 05:53:57 PM »

OK, I played two games last night and am going the opposite direction of Pete Rock.

1st impression: Nick Barnett just elevated three feet to pick off a pass while backpedaling.  I thought I read this bullshit was going to stop.

2nd impression: thank God it's not only me that can't run.  Da Bears held the Chiefs Larry Johnson to negative yardage...using the Nickel package.

3rd impression: That Nickle Package?  Featuring two great pass rushers, a great cover LB, a shutdown corner,  and a great Safety?  Croyle still went 19-20 for 200 yards.   disgust  Yeah, I know I suck...but not that much.  I thought I'd heard laser-guided QB's was also going to be addressed.  Manning or Brady do that to me, I got few complaints.  but Brady Croyle?

4th Impression: Training mode is worthless.  Absolutely worthless.  It tells you nothing on how to make any of the controls 'work' and doesn't ease you into developing these skills.  You either have them or you don't.

The more I played this game, the more disgusted I got.  Either ea decided the Bears are going to be the worst team in the NFL this year, or there are some SEVERE issues in this game.  I'm going to tough it out a little longer, but the feeling is already starting to seep in that i wasted my money...

The price of great bacon is eternal vigilance.
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

Gamertag: St0ckBroker

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2008, 05:57:16 PM »

I rented the Wii version and played .8 games last night (Titans vs. Texans). (My Wiimote ran out of batteries)  

I should preface this with a reiteration of the fact that I am not a Madden fan and I still resent the whole license thing.  

With that said, this is my only football choice on the Wii so I decided to give it a shot.  I was at first turned off by the idea of using motion controls in a football game, primarily the fact that motion controls are the only option.  So far though, the motion controls do not bother me at all.  I can actually pass and catch with ease and the controls actually feel fairly intuitive.  I didn't change anything (sliders etc.) and found my first game to be very easy.  I beat the Texans 35 to 7, with over 100 yards on the ground and 300+ passing (game ended right before the 4th quarter).  One annoying aspect of the Wii version is the touchdown celebration stuff.  When you score you are supposed to shake the controllers as fast as you can to build up a huge celebration that apparently gives the player a boost.  I really don't like that, and it got old after scoring 5 touchdowns.  I am sure there is an option to turn that option off though.  

Other things to note:
  • There were 3 turnovers in my game:  I had 2 interceptions, one where I was actually controlling the defender (huge plus for me, this is where 2K really shined), and I fumbled once
  • The commentary is pretty weak imho (Madden sucks anyway), and doesn't appear to be anywhere near as in depth as the other versions.  For a while I didn't even think the commentators say the players names, they do but not that often.
  • 5 on 5 looks like it could be fun against a human opponent, but vs. the ai I think it will be pretty weak.  I tried 1 quarter and it really wasn't a challenge at all.
Overall, I actually like it pretty well and may end up buying it.  

All for now.
Chris

This signature is not personal, at all.  If you're not awake enough to realize our country is being taken down by an organized effort from a puppet chimp being controlled by a movement older than me.  Wake the freaking fack up.
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2008, 06:30:52 PM »

Petsey - Same exact thing that I was experiencing. Everyone going left and the play called to the right. Pitch to Westbrook and he's swarmed under for a 4 yard loss. Just like the old days!  crybaby

I'd love to squeeze in a game with you - Throw me a friend request and I hope to get in there tonight.

Wouldn't use The Pats though. I'd pick some random team to play against you.

denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2008, 06:52:38 PM »

Even though Jamal Lewis ran like a puss in my game with Pete last night I am certainly not ready to declare the running game to be broken after 3 games.  Early impressions are that counter plays and other slowly developing plays do not work nearly as well as in previous years.  And they should not work well against blitzes or certain line stunts. I read a post from the producer that you will need to use special moves to break tackles at any level above Pro this year. The computer will no longer do it for you.

WalkingFumble

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2008, 06:59:50 PM »

Quote from: denoginizer on August 13, 2008, 01:30:53 PM

-Why did they not steal the play calling interface from NCAA 09?  mad In Madden you have to scroll to the play you want and press A.  In NCAA you can use all of the buttons to call plays so there is much less scrolling around on the playcalling screen.

hold the left trigger to bring up different buttons to pick the play

XBL: I3L00DFUMBLE  -  132,578     |     PSN: WalkingFumble     |     Nintendo Revolution:  1440 9434 2198 4442
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 13, 2008, 08:06:12 PM »

I read a post from the producer that you will need to use special moves to break tackles at any level above Pro this year.

That didn't take long.  icon_biggrin

I'm not saying the game is broken either but what Petsey and I were experiencing was zero room and a 4 yard loss on a play that seemed like it was wide open from the outset.

The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 13, 2008, 08:11:53 PM »

You know, since my son is going to be playing football this year, I think I might get Madden on Wii to help teach him.  Then I can give some Madden Wii impressions and hopefully salvage GatorFavre's love.

The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 13, 2008, 08:14:49 PM »

Quote from: PeteRock on August 13, 2008, 04:50:56 PM

while a receiver may look open when you throw the ball, the defensive secondary is on your receiver almost instantaneously as if you were playing the X-Men and Nightcrawler was playing corner. 

Now, I would totally pay for something like this, assuming Nightcrawler was actually in the game.

WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: August 13, 2008, 08:42:59 PM »

Quote from: Devil on August 13, 2008, 08:06:12 PM

I read a post from the producer that you will need to use special moves to break tackles at any level above Pro this year.

I'm not saying the game is broken either but what Petsey and I were experiencing was zero room and a 4 yard loss on a play that seemed like it was wide open from the outset.

I've had a couple 100+ yards games rushing.  I also broke an 80 yard td run in one of my games last night.  I feel like the running is much improved this year and a lot of fun.

PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 13, 2008, 09:24:32 PM »

Quote from: GatorFavre on August 13, 2008, 08:42:59 PM

Quote from: Devil on August 13, 2008, 08:06:12 PM

I've had a couple 100+ yards games rushing.  I also broke an 80 yard td run in one of my games last night.  I feel like the running is much improved this year and a lot of fun.

Then I guess that means it's finally time for you to move up from the "novice" difficulty level.   Tongue

Vinda-Lou

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 13, 2008, 11:48:28 PM »

I've never played a Madden game nod, but I've watched football for more years than some of you youngsters have been alive. ninja

Having said that, I was thinking of taking the plunge this year for the 360 version.  Is it worth buying the Prima guide to get a better grip on the game?  Has anyone read it yet?  I see there is a collector's edition of the guide, with the history of the madden games and other stuff.  I love crap like that, but I guess I'm asking if the guide is a complete waste or not.
PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 13, 2008, 11:55:49 PM »

Quote from: Vinda-Lou on August 13, 2008, 11:48:28 PM

I've never played a Madden game nod, but I've watched football for more years than some of you youngsters have been alive. ninja

Having said that, I was thinking of taking the plunge this year for the 360 version.  Is it worth buying the Prima guide to get a better grip on the game?  Has anyone read it yet?  I see there is a collector's edition of the guide, with the history of the madden games and other stuff.  I love crap like that, but I guess I'm asking if the guide is a complete waste or not.

I've never purchased a guide for any game I've ever played.  In the case of Madden, I think a better approach is exploration and trial-and-error.  Whenever I first load up the game I read through the controls portion of the game manual (which is about all they include anymore  disgust), and while that information is fresh in my mind I go into an exhibition game to toy around with the controls.  I try bringing up the audible menu, I try shifting the offensive linemen, I try adjusting a receiver's route to a "smart route" on 3rd down to see how the system works, I bring up various play-adjustment menus to see what information comes up and what optiosn I have, I try each of the running controls (stiff arm, spin, juke, etc), and by using the various controls and exploring the different menus while playing an exhibition game by myself everything starts to become more intuitive. 

I doubt the guide will provide any real quality insight in terms of how to play a sound game of NFL football, but given your experience with watching the NFL you should have a pretty good idea about defensive packages, offensive play balance, clock management, etc.  The guide may delve deeper into the various adjustments available to the player, including hot routes, smart routes, audibles, defensive shifts, blitzing, etc, but beyond that I think you'll learn more with hands-on experience and application of football knowledge.  The controls will become more intuitive with continued play.   

Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 14, 2008, 01:55:16 AM »

Is it the best football game to come out in the "next gen" era?  Yes.

You've got an exclusivity agreement to thank for that!  Best out of 1 doesn't say much smile
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 14, 2008, 02:33:36 AM »

Quote from: Canuck on August 14, 2008, 01:55:16 AM

Is it the best football game to come out in the "next gen" era?  Yes.

You've got an exclusivity agreement to thank for that!  Best out of 1 doesn't say much smile

I think he means it's better than previous next gen versions of Madden and APF.

All things considered I might agree with him.

naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 14, 2008, 03:18:16 AM »

man why do i keep visiting OS...

he takes whining to a new level
http://www.operationsports.com/forums/madden-nfl-football/262112-madden-09-video-missing-feature.html#post2038599879
he makes a video and complains.
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 14, 2008, 03:52:10 AM »

Just got pasted by the Raiders (!?!?) 27-7. Gave up too many big plays by turning 6 yard receptions into 40 yard TDs. Philly's blitzing defense gets burned. Who wouldah thought!

I did get a few good runs though, even though there were a bunch where my O-Line looked like they weren't really interested in blocking.

KC

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 14, 2008, 02:13:56 PM »

I bit the bullet and got the Wii version yesterday.  Bottom line: if you are even moderately experienced at console football games, you will find the Wii version of Madden to be too easy, even on the highest difficulty level.  The Wii control mechanics are fun, but expect a lot of blowouts if you know what you are doing. 
jblank

Always Outnumbered, Never Outgunned

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: August 14, 2008, 02:46:23 PM »

Quote from: naednek on August 14, 2008, 03:18:16 AM

man why do i keep visiting OS...

he takes whining to a new level
http://www.operationsports.com/forums/madden-nfl-football/262112-madden-09-video-missing-feature.html#post2038599879
he makes a video and complains.

Maybe because it's far and above the best sports game site on the web?

Honestly, I don't see the problem with what he did. Pretty valid complaint he has there.

XBOX 350 Gamertag = Phobos of Mars
PSN Gamertag = PhobosofMars
PeteRock

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 14, 2008, 08:35:27 PM »

After I have my fill of tonight's preseason Eagles/Panthers game I'm thinking about some online Madden action.  Anyone up for a game, or perhaps even a couple of games?  Best of three is always a nice way to declare an overall victor.  I'll keep my eyes peeled for willing participants.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: