http://gamingtrend.com
December 19, 2014, 03:35:40 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Madden 06 Reviewed [psp]  (Read 3287 times)
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Gamertag: St0ckBroker

View Profile
« on: September 21, 2005, 02:07:03 AM »

http://psp.ign.com/articles/652/652147p2.html

Closing Comments
Madden 06 on PSP is a solid game. It's definitely Madden in the palm of your hands, and the PSP to PS2 connectivity pronounces that fact even better. It has the look, sound and feel of the console versions, and for that I'm grateful. Everything from the online play to the depth here makes this a great addition to PSP libraries everywhere. I just wish things could've been tuned better so that loading was faster. Madden is known as a fast and fluid brand of football games, and it's necessary to have that quality when you got some momentum in a football game. It doesn't ruin the experience, but it is a scratch on what would otherwise be a gleaming finish.

EEK.  I cant handle that.

Wake up.
WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2005, 02:47:48 AM »

Yeah, that load time sounds pathetic!  I guess in the meantime, I will pick up 2k's NFL game for the PSP......

By the way, IGN gave it an 8.5.
Shouldnt this be in the sports forum anyway?

Scott

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2005, 11:49:30 AM »

I was ready to buy the game until that paragraph.  I bought Fifa PSP, and all the stuttering and slow loading of menus just ruined the game.  You could see a fun game beneath all the pauses, but in the end, it was to much of a pain to play.

Why can't EA Sports figure out how to program the PSP?

---
XBox Live: ScottW
WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2005, 03:38:31 PM »

Quote from: "Scott"
I was ready to buy the game until that paragraph.  I bought Fifa PSP, and all the stuttering and slow loading of menus just ruined the game.  You could see a fun game beneath all the pauses, but in the end, it was to much of a pain to play.

Why can't EA Sports figure out how to program the PSP?

Good question, Street 2 on the PSP is the exact same way.  Sounds like that game would be pretty good if it werent for the loading times.  It really is too bad that they messed it up.

AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2005, 03:46:46 PM »

Aren't loading times a problem on a lot of PSP games not just strictly EA ones?  I remember reading about Midnight Club 3 and that it took way too long to load stuff.

Xbox Live: AgtFox
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2005, 04:00:24 PM »

All I know is that I can't handle playing my copy of Tiger Woods on the psp due to the load times.  

I was actually going to buy Madden for the psp (shock), only because I wanted a football game for the road.  

I guess i'll hold off now though.

Wake up.
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2005, 04:02:24 PM »

I honestly think EA has no idea how to shorten load times on the PSP.  I thought this was normal, as every PSP game I owned was Published by EA. Until HSG.  Then I realized what it could be.  After that, it's fucking amazing to me how bad they are at it.

gellar
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2005, 05:45:34 PM »

Sony games don't have load issues

XBox Gamertag: Devil13Devil
Wii Number: 0305 6568 6417 2609
PS3 Thing: Slived
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2005, 07:50:58 PM »

I'm so glad I waited on this system. I am possibly the least patient person with load times I know.
AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2005, 07:57:47 PM »

Quote from: "Devil"
Sony games don't have load issues

Maybe this is a programming secret that Sony has not divulged with any 3rd party game maker?  It took Sony a long time to divulge how they were doing the "loading on the fly" for games like Jak and Ratchet and Clank on the PS2.

EA also found a way to do DTS on the PS2 (4.1 with no center, granted), but as far as I know no other company ever used that technology outside of GTA: Vice City.

Xbox Live: AgtFox
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2005, 08:12:35 PM »

Maybe this is a programming secret that Sony has not divulged with any 3rd party game maker? It took Sony a long time to divulge how they were doing the "loading on the fly" for games like Jak and Ratchet and Clank on the PS2.

Probably right, but with the perceived lack of quality games for the PSP, why do they want to cripple their own system?

Burnout load times aren't that bad...

Roguetad

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2005, 08:33:53 PM »

Surprisingly the load times for BO Legends aren't bad, at least not bad enough for me to notice them as an annoyance...and I have little patience for long load times.  

Madden with long load times doesn't sound fun.  I can handle long load times before a game, but it sounds like there are long load times in between each screen, which would really suck.
Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2005, 07:26:10 AM »

So the loading times with Madden aren't the killer - its this stupid pause at the end of every play.

Other nitpicks after 3 games:
- the gameplay feels similar to Madden 01 or 02; there's no momentum based physics present so you can cut on a dime.

- it's not mentioned in any of the reviews, but there's no replays or cutscenes!  After every play you just get dropped to the play calling screen - I was hoping that at least some of the presentation of the console game would be there, but it feels very basic.  At least the commentary is good....

That said, the online portion of the game is very cool - it's as full featured as its bigger brethren.  I'm having fun with it, but so far it seems more than a few step backs from the console versions....

Xbox Live tag: Dimmona
DS WiFi Friends Codes
Wii Code: 6091 9321 3340 8417
Xbox360 Gamer Card
Scott

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2005, 04:27:14 PM »

So the loading times with Madden aren't the killer - its this stupid pause at the end of every play.

That's what killed Fifa.  The pauses after the ball went out of bounce, or penalties, etc.  It just killed the gameplay, and made it choppy as hell.  I also imagine with all the UMD access, that Fifa wasn't really that portable a game as it probably drained the hell out of the battery.  I never really found out, as I got to frustrated with the game to try.

---
XBox Live: ScottW
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2005, 01:29:02 AM »

I heard that if you turn off the commentary the pauses are gone.

Can anyone verify?

Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2005, 02:48:14 AM »

Quote from: "Devil"
I heard that if you turn off the commentary the pauses are gone.

Can anyone verify?

Gimme a sec... although I'm sure it will work since you can hear the drive loading the next astute comment from Michaels.

Yup, tis better now, although the game was basic enough as it was - now without commentary it seems like a tech demo.   And a fun one at that :-)

So on a different note - I noticed you can create a franchise for more than 1 player... and I also noticed that you can upload franchises to your EA Locker from their online service to share - does this mean that a friend and I can work on the same franchise and just keep sending it back and forth to each other?  That would be hella cool....

DS WiFi Friends Codes
Xbox360 Gamer Card
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2005, 01:10:34 PM »

Thanks Dimmona!

Now I might be IN!!

Cleric7

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2005, 02:36:46 PM »

I am trading in my copy today. I played about half a dozen games and just came away not very impressed. A luke-warm effort for sure by EA.

The biggest headache was a bug where you select a kicking play, either a field goal or a punt, and the players line up but no Kicking reticule appears. You can press all the buttons you want but nothing happens. Unless you call a time out, you will eventually be called for delay-of-game. I had this happen 4 or 5 times in the games I played.

Basically a deal breaker for me...

"All that is necessary for evil to flourish is for good people to do nothing."
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2005, 02:52:33 PM »

That sucks - Maybe OUT!

Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2005, 03:06:05 PM »

Ah c'mon, I need somebody to play with!

Oh, and to update the franchise thing - it looks like you can start a 2 player franchise, upload it to your EA locker, have your friend make progress on it, then import it back in.  Kind of a pain as you basically have to take turns with it, but the fact that it is possible to share a franchise with somebody else online is pretty darn cool....

I haven't run into the kicking bug you mentioned at all yet.  One other nitpick I did discover - holy crap it takes a long time to simulate games/weeks.  It took my PSP almost 5 minutes to simulate the preseason (all 4 games).   I can't imagine how long it would take to simulate an entire season...

DS WiFi Friends Codes
Xbox360 Gamer Card
Devil

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2005, 05:14:18 PM »

back IN!?....

:wink:

Devil

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2005, 02:02:09 PM »

IN!

I like it too!!

Xbox version gets traded this week!!!!

Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2005, 09:35:51 PM »

I'm loving this game.  I don't seem to notice any bad loading time between plays.  This is the best portable football game to me.  I highly recommend it

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 26, 2005, 03:51:08 AM »

I have been enjoying it very much.  Most of the in-game loading is due to the commentary, which I always turn off anyway.  I am impressed in how much they have put in.  Full franchise, playbooks, online stuff, etc.  To me the lack of momentum makes it feel more like the 2K series.  I can actually make plays with my safety on defense.  Has anyone found out how to flip the play on the line of scrimmage?  I would be surprised if it wasn't there.  I have had the game lock up on me three times after franchise mode games.  I reccomend saving just before the game ends just in case.  Other than that I am very satisfied with it.

Overall it's my favorite version of Madden yet.

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 26, 2005, 04:43:42 PM »

Quote from: "denoginizer"
I have been enjoying it very much.  Most of the in-game loading is due to the commentary, which I always turn off anyway.  I am impressed in how much they have put in.  Full franchise, playbooks, online stuff, etc.  To me the lack of momentum makes it feel more like the 2K series. I can actually make plays with my safety on defense.  Has anyone found out how to flip the play on the line of scrimmage?  I would be surprised if it wasn't there.  I have had the game lock up on me three times after franchise mode games.  I reccomend saving just before the game ends just in case.  Other than that I am very satisfied with it.

Overall it's my favorite version of Madden yet.

Interest peaked!  Even though I don't like Madden.

Wake up.
jament
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 26, 2005, 06:00:33 PM »

I've never been a Madden fan, either, but damn this game's fun.

Full Franchise, Training Camp modes, Practice!, graphics are amazing - sometimes I can't believe it's running on a handheld, good end of game AI, plays a good game of FB.

Dislikes:  Kicker bug - hit that a few times and had to call time outs to fix, sometimes at the end of a quarter, the bar a the top that tracks the drive will be showing time of possession (which is nice) instead of the clock - and the bottom shows the full play clock but not time left in the quarter, leaving you guessing as to how many seconds until the quarter end.

That's it - everything else is nice.  Easily the best portable football game ever released.  Say what you want, but with Madden 06, Winning Eleven 9, MLB, Virtua Tennis on the go sports gaming was never better.
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 26, 2005, 06:29:48 PM »

Few more impression.  The AI in the gamne is pretty brutal at normal which is nice. They seem to react well to your play calling and adjust quite well.  Example, I am playing as the Baltimore Ravens had over 100+ yds rushing against the Colts and Jets.  Currently, I'm at half time vs the jets and I have a grand total of 38 yds rushing.  The  Jets have shut my rushing game down and I have to resort to passing.  Pretty freaking awesome \.  

Anyway, I think I ran into one bug with the kicking portion.  Twice I went to punt and the kicking meter never showed.  I had to call a timeout and reenter the play again to get the meter to show.  Anyone else run inot this?

I still recommend this game.  Heh, I was playing this a lucnh and had a crowd around me in the cafeteria.  Most was impressed with the game and graphics

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 12, 2005, 05:07:25 PM »

Ok, I've run into the franchise mode crash problem 3 times now - 2 of them after hard fought victories.  It seems to happen after every 2 franchse games.  I saw the workaround posted by EA, but it involves creating a new franchise from scratch - no thanks.

I really am enjoying the gameplay itself, but the bugs are driving me bonkers.

DS WiFi Friends Codes
Xbox360 Gamer Card
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: