http://gamingtrend.com
July 24, 2014, 08:43:04 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: M and L: partners in time!  (Read 2367 times)
Harpua3
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: November 29, 2005, 08:33:49 AM »

http://ds.ign.com/articles/671/671781p1.html

Well, they seemed to like it. I`ll prolly grab this one at christmas sometime from someone. Animal crossing:DS is already my next purchase in line. But, wow. This M&L game looks to be a good sequel to the first one. Any get an early copy???? Any impressions...? :wink:
depward

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2005, 11:03:26 AM »

Would love to pick it up but probably won't be able to and put any considerable amount of time into it this week.  Though, I'm definately going to purchase it whenever I can!

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
shon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2005, 02:22:58 PM »

Most definately a pickup.  I haven't beat the first one yet but will go ahead get it.

The DS is really outdoing the PSP in the game department I think I need to change my sig.

The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2005, 06:40:52 PM »

My preorder copy willo be in today and I will pick it up tonight.  Maybe I will post some impressions tomorrow after I have played it.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2005, 07:45:24 PM »

This will be the first game I get when I buy a DS.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2005, 04:36:46 AM »

Lots of love for M&L, but no early impressions...shame on you all! :wink:
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2005, 04:42:58 AM »

It's on my Christmas list so I have to wait frown
depward

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2005, 05:13:10 AM »

Would go grab it tonight but it's snowing and the roads are sliiiiick!

Plus I don't really have the time too.  So yeah.  Get some impressions up guys and gals!

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2005, 05:30:19 AM »

I played for about two hours tonight (which almost never happens with a handheld game).  Really great.  The story and humor are top notch.  The graphics are better than the last one by far.  The game seems a little easier than I remember Superstar Saga being, but I'm still early in gameplay.  However, the added controls for the foursome battling could be troublesome.  I remember some frustrating moments with timing in the last game and now two extra buttons have been added.  For example, instead of hitting the jump button before landing an attack for extra damage, you hit the baby jump button first, then the regular jump button.  As another example, when you gain your first Bros move, you get a shell and can continually attack by alternating attack buttons after it hits the enemy.  Easy enough, but the timing gets harder as the shell speeds up.  Add a baby to the mix, and you're supposed to hit the baby attack button as the shell hits the enemy in between the alternating ponging.  Throws the timing to hell.  And I imagine that stuff is going to get tougher.  That said, I trust the makers enough to keep it from becoming too overwhelming (not something I would say of everyone).  The thing to keep in mind is that the innovative gameplay has been kicked up a 'shroom, and the entertaining style is back (with light Luigi-bashing back to boot).

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
depward

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2005, 05:41:42 AM »

Awesome Bullwinkle - sounds like a winner!  Keep us updated on the battle scheme and if it does indeed get any more troublesome for you.

Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2005, 05:52:31 AM »

That`s what I`m talking about, thanks guys. Keep `em coming! :wink:
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2005, 03:03:52 PM »

I have one question. Does it take as long to save in this game as it did in Superstar Saga? That is my main annoyance with that game. (Almost finished with it. I'm in the last "dungeon".)

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
warning

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2005, 03:09:42 PM »

I got burned out by the timed button presses in the first M&L game.  From what I understand this continues in the DS version so I'll probably pass.
The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2005, 03:41:30 PM »

Well, I promised impressions, so here they are.  I didn't get to play as much as the other person who posted did, so I didn't get to the spot where you got to control 4 people in battle mode, though I could tell that would be a game mechanic since the babies got the X and Y buttons and Mario and Luigi got the A and B buttons.  So far, the story and humor has been fun.  This game supports the rumble pack, and I like the little additions it adds.  For instance, when you open up your inventory management (which in the game is in the form of a little suitcase), you get a rumble which makes it feel like the suitcase is opening.  I have always been a big fan of rumble features and I like the way this rumble pack has felt for this game and for Metroid Prime Pinball.

The gameplay is the same, mechanics-wise, as Superstar Saga, which I think we all expected.  One thing I love about the series is the timed  button presses, which I know some do not like.  I just like the melding of RPG with twitch mechanics.  I especially love have to figure out the timings for different monsters so you know who they are going to attack, when they are going to do it, and how to avoid and hopefully counter their attack.  This hasn't changed from Superstar Saga and is in this game, so I know I will love it.

That is about all I can say based on my small playtime.  Looks to be just as good as Superstar Saga as far as story, writing, and gameplay.  In fact, I think having to control 4 players will make it even better.  Oh, the dual screen is nice as well, with the map at the top.  I also like how the action moves from the bottom to top screens.  For instance, when the suitcase is instructing you how he works, he will move from one screen to another and I just like the way they did it.

To answer JCC's question, the save is pretty quick.  I can't remember how long Superstar Saga was, because I played and beat it back when it came out, but the save here isn't very long.

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2005, 04:32:41 PM »

Yes, the save is quicker, but loading going from room to room is a tiny bit longer (maybe one second or so), which is noticeable after playing ML:SS, but will probably be less so after continued play.

Yeah, I forgot to mention the rumble pack.  Disco Jason is right, it definitely adds something.  I forgot it used it.  Luckily, I still had it in the GBA slot.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2005, 03:42:51 PM »

In my 5 minutes of playing I can say - it is cool!  I can't wait to spend more time with it.

shon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2005, 05:36:16 PM »

I've played about 2 hours and it is great.  

The use of the 2 screens is really good.  The humor is there too the voices they use crack me up especially Baby Luigi.

Battling with all 4 is great but you really have to be on your toes to nail the combinations.

The Grue

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2005, 05:49:45 PM »

I played a bit more last night and got to the babies.  The game is just fun, plain and simple.  I really love the use of the dual screen, with the babies slitting off to do things to open the way for Mario and Luigi.  Doing the Bros. attacks with the adults and babies combined is a lot of fun as well.

Interloper

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2005, 10:49:53 PM »

I'm about 6 hours in, and it's great fun so far.  And quite funny (I liked the "leet speak" bros..)  I never played the MandL rpg on the gba, but I may have to pick it up after finishing this one.  It reminds me an awful lot of paper mario thousand year door.  There are a few times in battle with all four characters that I get confused and hit the wrong button, allowing them to take damage.  But I'm getting the hang of it.  I like how it utilizes both screens quite well also.

depward

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2006, 01:35:13 AM »

Just finished up this bad boy.  Clocked in around 20 and a half hours.  It's definately one of my favorite games for the DS.  Really enjoyed it throughout - never a dull moment.  The battle system was fun (I'm a fan of the whole button press thing!), the characters and written dialogue were fresh and witty, and the time seemed to fly by when I played.

Would definately recommend it to anyone else who owns a DS!  Truly a great game!

WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2006, 03:59:38 AM »

You need to play Paper Mario!

depward

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2006, 09:03:56 AM »

Quote from: "GatorFavre"
You need to play Paper Mario!

No shartbomb!  I really do!

CrayolaSmoker

Sponge Bath Slut

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2006, 06:09:00 PM »

Got it for Christmas, finished it this morning.  The game was good, but the writing and characterization were excellent!  Far better than I'd have ever expected from a Mario title.  I loved the interactions between Luigi and Baby Luigi.  Funny, funny stuff.

Really fun game.  I'd highly recommend it.

Wii: 1429 3414 0674 4114 | 360: CrayolaSmokerGT
smokingcrayolas.net | surrogacy blog
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2006, 07:31:54 PM »

Quote from: "CrayolaSmoker"
The game was good, but the writing and characterization were excellent!  Far better than I'd have ever expected from a Mario title.

Clearly another person who has never played Paper Mario 2 (or Superstar Saga for that matter).
WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2006, 08:52:58 PM »

Quote from: "Kevin Grey"
Quote from: "CrayolaSmoker"
The game was good, but the writing and characterization were excellent!  Far better than I'd have ever expected from a Mario title.

Clearly another person who has never played Paper Mario 2 (or Superstar Saga for that matter).

I highly reccomend both!  I am finishing up Superstar Saga right now and I have M&L PiT ready to go.  I'm usually not a fan of RPGs, but I love the combat in these games.  Its still turnbased, but I love how you still get to control the action while the bad guys are attacking you.  It makes it a lot more fun than just watching them attack.

Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2006, 11:18:24 PM »

Hehe. I finally picked this one up. What a great game. It looks like it will be my favorite out of the Mario RPG games so far that I`ve played. By the look of this, hell, I`ll prolly even replay it!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: