http://gamingtrend.com
July 24, 2014, 11:09:02 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Lunar Knights "one of the finest games on DS." 1UP review  (Read 3352 times)
siege
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: February 06, 2007, 10:08:59 PM »

http://www.1up.com/do/reviewPage?cId=3156990

Looking forward to picking this up tomorrow.
depward

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2007, 10:52:32 PM »

Quote from: siege on February 06, 2007, 10:08:59 PM

http://www.1up.com/do/reviewPage?cId=3156990

Looking forward to picking this up tomorrow.
Same here.  Wish WiFi wasn't taken out though   thumbsdown

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2007, 11:18:52 PM »

Can't wait.  I loved the Boktai games. 
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2007, 01:29:07 AM »

I keep telling myself NO.

But it's Kojima Productions.

And it's getting wonderful reviews.

and it's KOJIMA FREAKIN' PRODUCTIONS...

TheMissingLink on PSN
the Nightbreeze
Gaming Trend Reader

Done posting.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2007, 01:32:44 AM »

I hope it looks better on A DS screen than the screenshots at 1UP did on my monitor.  I'd hate to miss a good game because my first impression of it was "That game looks like BUTT"  I'll need to see  it in action.

Done posting
unbreakable
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2007, 01:59:21 AM »

Wow, this looks like just the kind of game I've been looking for.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2007, 02:28:34 AM »

I'm just amazed at how much the DS is dominating my shopping list.  I'm about to buy FFVI, Phoenix Wright, Hotel Dusk, and now this--and I still haven't finished Castlevania or FFIII.

(Yes, Devil, NiM$!)
unbreakable
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2007, 04:33:29 AM »

So when should this be at B&M stores?  I checked around, but only online vendors seem to have any in stock.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2007, 05:35:34 AM »

Quote from: unbreakable on February 08, 2007, 04:33:29 AM

So when should this be at B&M stores?  I checked around, but only online vendors seem to have any in stock.

Picked it up at Gamestop earlier today.  CC had it in their ad as in stock today, as well.  Strangely, it was entirely absent from Best Buy's website earlier so I'm not sure if they are getting it at all. 
depward

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2007, 07:10:25 AM »

Quote from: unbreakable on February 08, 2007, 04:33:29 AM

Haven't seen in at any B&M stores either - luckily I had ordered a copy online   icon_biggrin

wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2007, 02:12:46 PM »

I just watched this trailer, and I don't know what to think.  It certainly looks interesting, but there's something about the style that doesn't sit right with me.  I think I'll have to wait and see some forum impressions.
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2007, 02:24:20 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on February 08, 2007, 02:12:46 PM

I just watched this trailer, and I don't know what to think.

Ditto. Anybody know if the music in that trailer is representative of the game's soundtrack?

Ruining language with my terrible words.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2007, 02:31:58 PM »

I just watched this trailer, and I don't know what to think.  It certainly looks interesting, but there's something about the style that doesn't sit right with me.  I think I'll have to wait and see some forum impressions.

What specifically about the style?

I'll have some impressions probably by the weekend.  I want to finish Trace Memory first (from what I understand that shouldn't take long).  In the meantime, LK is basically Zelda meets Castlevania meets Metal Gear Solid.  If that sounds appealing then go for it!  If not, then best avoid. 

Quote from: Misguided on February 08, 2007, 02:24:20 PM

Ditto. Anybody know if the music in that trailer is representative of the game's soundtrack?

Mmm, sort of, I guess.  You can hear the music in the gameplay video here:

http://www.gametrailers.com/gamepage.php?id=2735

wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2007, 02:59:57 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on February 08, 2007, 02:31:58 PM

What specifically about the style?

I can't put my finger on it.  The combat looked a little clumsy, the high pitched voice sound bites (are those a part of the game?), the way it looked like you have to pull out the stylus for spells or minigames, some of the art design...just overall it raised some red flags.  I'm not out for sure, I just need to hear more reviews and impressions to make sure it's up my alley. 
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2007, 03:06:19 PM »

Hmm, tough call.  Impressions elsewhere praise all of those aspects (combat, voice acting, graphics, 3D space shooter), etc. 
shon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2007, 03:17:42 PM »

Played for about 30 minutes last night and I really like it.  The only thing that bugs me so far is the control. You only move 8 directions and sometimes the pad doesn't respond to my liking but I am getting used to it.  The graphics and combat are really fun I only stopped playing because it was really late and I needed sleep.

Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2007, 03:23:11 PM »

I completely agree.  It seems like it would be right up my alley and the reviews are good, but the gameplay videos didn't impress me at all.   The gameplay videos looked more action game than RPG, which after my recent Rogue Galaxy experience, I should probably avoid.

Tell ya what.  You buy it, then sell it to me if you don't like it.  slywink

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2007, 03:24:10 PM »

I was 'meh' on the trailer until I saw some of the DS control mechanic interactions.  Don't need another DS game at this point, but I'm willing to let GT forum effect take hold if impressions are favorable.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2007, 03:24:56 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on February 08, 2007, 03:23:11 PM

I completely agree.  It seems like it would be right up my alley and the reviews are good, but the gameplay videos didn't impress me at all.   The gameplay videos looked more action game than RPG, which after my recent Rogue Galaxy experience, I should probably avoid.

These games are NOT RPGs.  There are RPG elements but no one should buy this or the Boktai games thinking they are getting an RPG.  They are action based- much close to Zelda in execution. 
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2007, 03:27:37 PM »

The gameplay videos looked more action game than RPG, which after my recent Rogue Galaxy experience, I should probably avoid.

Funny I'm the opposite. I'd like to play it if is actiony rather than RPG.
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2007, 03:29:20 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on February 08, 2007, 03:24:56 PM

Boktai games

Wha?
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 08, 2007, 03:32:27 PM »

These games are NOT RPGs.  There are RPG elements but no one should buy this or the Boktai games thinking they are getting an RPG.  They are action based- much close to Zelda in execution. 

Thanks Kevin, I'm definitely going to pass then.  I don't think I've ever really enjoyed a Zelda game, so this one probably isn't for me.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 08, 2007, 03:35:11 PM »

Quote from: ATB on February 08, 2007, 03:29:20 PM

Boktai games

Wha?

Lunar Knights is a rebranded Boktai 4.

Boktai 1 & 2 were released in the US for GBA.  Their most notable feature was the inclusion of a sun sensor that was used to charge weapons but needed direct sunlight to work.  It was a very neat mechanic with the gameworld changing depending on the time you were playing and using real sunlight for some cool puzzles.  Unfortunately it really screwed you if you were like most of us and did most of your gaming after dark.  So while they were both fantastic games they had a very limited appeal.

We never received Boktai 3 over here.  When it came time to develop for the DS, Konami ditched the sun sensor.  Daylight and other things still play a huge role in Lunar Knights but it's all artificial now.  They also changed the names of the characters in the US version and the name obviously in order to distance themselves from the GBA games so they could get a fresh start. 
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 08, 2007, 03:37:47 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on February 08, 2007, 03:32:27 PM

Thanks Kevin, I'm definitely going to pass then.  I don't think I've ever really enjoyed a Zelda game, so this one probably isn't for me.

Yeah, as much as I'd like Lunar Knights to be a success and for people to finally see the greatness that is the Boktai series, I'd hate for someone to buy it when it just isn't for them. 
unbreakable
« Reply #24 on: February 08, 2007, 04:13:52 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on February 08, 2007, 03:35:11 PM

Unfortunately it really screwed you if you were like most of us and did most of your gaming after dark.  So while they were both fantastic games they had a very limited appeal.

Not only that, but the screen looks like @$$ when playing outside.  As if the screen wasn't hard enough to see already.
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2007, 04:45:39 PM »

More impressions NOW!
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2007, 04:56:33 PM »

Quote from: unbreakable on February 08, 2007, 04:13:52 PM

Not only that, but the screen looks like @$$ when playing outside.  As if the screen wasn't hard enough to see already.

I thought they did a good job with that- the display was specifically very monochromatic since they knew the sun would wash out a lot of the color.

But I played it on the DS (non-Lite) which was much easier to read than the GBA so that might have made a big difference. 
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 08, 2007, 06:46:53 PM »

Isn't there a well known RPG series called "Lunar"?  I thought this game had something to do with that.  They probably should have picked a different name.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 08, 2007, 07:23:10 PM »

Quote from: Teggy on February 08, 2007, 06:46:53 PM

Isn't there a well known RPG series called "Lunar"?  I thought this game had something to do with that.  They probably should have picked a different name.

I wouldn't necessarilly call Lunar well know anymore. 
depward

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 08, 2007, 07:26:56 PM »

I should have impressions on the weekend.  BOKTAI 4, HERE I COME

unbreakable
« Reply #30 on: February 08, 2007, 07:29:28 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on February 08, 2007, 04:56:33 PM

Quote from: unbreakable on February 08, 2007, 04:13:52 PM

I thought they did a good job with that- the display was specifically very monochromatic since they knew the sun would wash out a lot of the color.

But I played it on the DS (non-Lite) which was much easier to read than the GBA so that might have made a big difference. 

I've heard the GBA SP made a big difference, but the original GBA was (IMO) almost unplayable.  And this is coming from someone who had a GB and GBC.

I had a GBA and returned it- it was just TOO fricken hard to use.  I can't even imagined trying to use it outside.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 08, 2007, 07:37:20 PM »

Yeah, the original GBA was practically unplayable in all lighting conditions. 
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 08, 2007, 08:40:59 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on February 08, 2007, 07:37:20 PM

Yeah, the original GBA was practically unplayable in all lighting conditions. 

I remember one report that the best aftermarket light for the GBA was a Boeing 747 overhead light.  I have to admit, they did work pretty well!
siege

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 08, 2007, 08:55:03 PM »

Still haven't been able to find it in my area.  tear
unbreakable
« Reply #34 on: February 10, 2007, 01:29:58 AM »

I checked Coconuts before lunch, they didn't have it.  I checked Best Buy before going home.. and I got the last one!  Woohoo!

What a nerd dilemma: Coconuts has Meteos for $20, Gamestopo has Hotel Dusk, and my friend keeps telling me to get Mario Kart (he is even getting a second copy for his girlfriend).  So there is at least one more game in my immediate future.
unbreakable
« Reply #35 on: February 10, 2007, 02:30:21 PM »

Ok, I have a few hours into it, and it's good.  REAL GOOD.

It's an action-type RPG, sort of like Zelda.  Strangely, a better comparison seems to be to Rogue Galaxy rather than Zelda.  But anyway, it's action-based combat rather than turn based, so dodging means you actually move out of the way, etc.

One really cool feature is the "lock on", which you use with the R button.  Since one character uses ranged attacks, this is obviously a humungeous help on a portable system game.

Another really surprising thing is the in-game animated movies.  Every other DS game I've owned had, at the most, an animated sequence in the beginning, usually about a minute or so in length.  This one has the intro as well, but it actually has trasitional scenes... with spoken dialogue!  Really nice touch.

I'll write up more later, but I feel like getting some more play in.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 12, 2007, 08:30:42 PM »

Put just over two hours into this game over the weekend.  Think I'm just about to hit the second boss.

My immediate impression is that there is a lot of content here.  Even at the two hour point, new gameplay concepts are still being introduced and I haven't even scratched the surface of the game's weather system or swapping in and out each character.  So far I prefer the melee character but I expect that I'll enjoy the ranged guy when I can get some gun upgrades. 

The game is pretty combat focused but thankfully combat seems pretty deep.  Each enemy has unique weaknesses and attack patterns that can exploited and along with two playable characters (one melee, one ranged), weapons that are upgradeable, terrenials (think Summons) for each element, and even having the weather affect the amount of damage you can do- well, there is a *lot* going on here. 

I love the presentation too.  It's very anime to be sure, but the world design is very cool to me.  I especially love the idea that the Vampires have blocked out the sun, requiring you to take captured Vampires into a spaceship, break through the barrier, and then offload them onto an orbiting satellite that redirects massive amounts of collective sunlight into them to utterly destroy them. 

And, as noted, this game really shames most other DS games in the production values department- lots of voice acting, liberal use of FMV spread throughout, good musical score, etc all make it feel more like a full blown console outing. 
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 12, 2007, 08:33:57 PM »

Quote from: unbreakable on February 10, 2007, 02:30:21 PM

One really cool feature is the "lock on", which you use with the R button. 

Do you have to hold it? Games where you have to hold down the shoulder buttons a lot tend to irritate me.

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 12, 2007, 08:39:05 PM »

Quote from: Misguided on February 12, 2007, 08:33:57 PM

Quote from: unbreakable on February 10, 2007, 02:30:21 PM

One really cool feature is the "lock on", which you use with the R button.

Do you have to hold it? Games where you have to hold down the shoulder buttons a lot tend to irritate me.

I believe so.  I would prefer a toggle myself. 
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 12, 2007, 08:46:57 PM »

I know that must seem silly, but my hands are small, and having to hold a shoulder button tends to be cramp inducing.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: