http://gamingtrend.com
April 17, 2014, 07:54:49 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Loving the heck out of Spider-Man 2  (Read 3567 times)
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Hard partier

View Profile
« on: July 06, 2004, 02:14:57 PM »

Thumbs up from me on this one just in terms of sheer size. For the $20 I got it for, this one has been a solid title. I actually got to play a good chunk of it for a long while this weekend and I can say in spite of the glitches, hiccups, and AI-randomly-going-stupid moments, I've found so much to do and collect it's been great. Not to mention web-slinging all over the place just never gets old. I blew through Times Square the other day and heard, "Lookin' good!" and I just thought, "Sweeeet." biggrin

When I saved last I was riding on top of the El. I've stopped before I go to Dr. Octavias' apartment so it's early yet, but I've gone around stopping crimes and collecting tokens. And letting people drown. Those "save the boat" missions just suck.

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2004, 02:38:53 PM »

I am in complete agreement, wbs!

I have been slinging and swinging for the last few days and I am really enjoying myself.  The pacing of the game seems quite good to me (I am a bit further in than yourself).  I have had one infinite load, but that is the only problem yet.  Some of the missions are a bit frustrating, but I keep finding myself pushed to try again and again until I get past.

It's the drive to try and do "just one more mission" that has me so enthralled.  I will find myself helping out people just for the heck of it and before I know it I have gained enough hero points to move on to the next chapter.  I haven't had any trouble with the timed missions yet and I like the excitement they provide.

The only downside I am having is with all the different moves.  I have a large percentage of the moves purchased, but I find I only do them on accident.  I am probably going to look into a FAQ to print out to keep next to me so I can have the moves handy.  The camera during some of the fights can be hard to control, but I've survived thusfar.

I actually like the fact that common street thugs can still knock me on my spider-butt.  Otherwise what fun would it be?  Those gang wars/battle royals can be something.

It's certainly an exciting game.  The open-ended feel is a great addition.  Kudos to the devs for getting the control and feel just right.

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

Gamertag: St0ckBroker

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2004, 02:58:48 PM »

Where did you get it for $20?  

I'm going to go to CC at lunch today and see if I can buy 4 of their $5 games, and trade them in at EB for Spiderman.

Go Gunners...
aledromo
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2004, 04:43:05 PM »

What's EB doing now?

Join me or die!  Can you do any less?
Eco-Logic
Gaming Trend Member

Gamertag: St0ckBroker

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2004, 04:46:31 PM »

Quote from: "aledromo"
What's EB doing now?

5 games (almost any games) and you get it for free.  That is a lot of games I know, but when you can buy them for $4.99 that isn't too bad.

Go Gunners...
aledromo
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2004, 04:47:20 PM »

Any date restrictions on this special?

whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2004, 05:32:30 PM »

Quote from: "Eco-Logic"
Where did you get it for $20?  

I'm going to go to CC at lunch today and see if I can buy 4 of their $5 games, and trade them in at EB for Spiderman.

I traded in four of the worst games I've had the displeasure to review. smile

Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2004, 05:38:44 PM »

Quote from: "whiteboyskim"

But you kept all that filthy Spawn money! :twisted:

whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2004, 11:09:38 PM »

Quote from: "stiffler"

But you kept all that filthy Spawn money! :twisted:

So?

stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2004, 11:11:38 PM »

Hey, you earned it!

whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2004, 01:55:02 AM »

Quote from: "stiffler"
Hey, you earned it!

Tell me about it. After playing that game for a bit, you start to realize you really are living in Hell.  :twisted:

aledromo
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2004, 01:35:51 PM »

Up til 3:30am stopping random crimes.  Found my old apartment building and stuck to what I believe is the window of it.  Went to Madison Square Garden and swung around the corner to Penn Station.  Nearly wept with joy.

I have a serious question: do people who have never been to New York get the same charge from the series, movies, and games?  I just wonder how many people in rural areas grew up looking at skyscrapers and imagining them as your playground.  I hope you guys get the same rush.

As a displaced New Yorker, playing this game honestly makes me happy to be alive.

stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2004, 03:34:00 PM »

Well, I admit I get lost swinging through the streets of New York City.  I haven't been there in many years and honestly have no idea where anything is.  I don't think that decreases my enjoyment at all, but I can imagine how some familiarity would increase it.

Perhaps you can tell me where on the island the former WTC stood?  I read that they had the lights for the monument, but I can't figure out (based on the in-game map) where it would be.

aledromo
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2004, 04:06:15 PM »

Head south of SoHo to lower Manhattan.  Near the river on the West Side.

Let me know if I can point out anything else.

One thing I thought I'd open for discussion, did anyone else think that it might be cool (maybe in a sequel) to have had you actually try to manage your secret identity in the game. Making appointments, getting to class and finding time to sleep to regenerate health - stuff like that?  I know it would slow down the pace slightly and maybe hurt the freeform aspect, but for creating a superhero simulator it would be great.  With the Day/Night cyle in place, you could just get a warning that an important thing was coming up and have to swing over there in time.  Just a thought.   No complaint on this gem.  Loren's review seems to have been unkind so far.

AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2004, 04:08:07 PM »

Loren's review seems to have been unkind so far.

My review?  Didn't know I wrote one.  I love this game.

Xbox Live: AgtFox
aledromo
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2004, 04:15:42 PM »

Whoops!  I meant Tim.  And I also meant to humorously imply that 94% was too low.  I'm so embarrassed that now I have to pull on my mask and jump out the window for an escape.

AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2004, 04:17:19 PM »

Whoops!  I meant Tim.  And I also meant to humorously imply that 94% was too low.  I'm so embarrassed that now I have to pull on my mask and jump out the window for an escape.

Just be sure you don't have any psychosematic problems or your web shooters won't work slywink

aledromo
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2004, 04:21:16 PM »

Now you tell me.  Oh, my back!

whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2004, 08:34:04 PM »

To this end, I've enjoyed seeing first-hand New York geography. I know whenever I go there I'm going to want to leap from building to building. smile

stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2004, 03:07:32 AM »

Remaining spoiler-free and suitably vague...

Some of the fights were tough, but as someone said, it all comes down to finding the best tactic, almost like Mega Man - some things don't work, but when you find the secret it's just a matter of executing.  

One thing I was particularly frustrated with one of the later battles.  Spidey can't swim.  If he touches the water = dead.  I can't imagine doing the boat rescues or buoy tokens.  Haven't tried any.

I just finished the regular game part.  Not too long, but if you are a completist it may well take forever to find all the secrets!

Thanks for the directions, ale!

whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2004, 01:41:37 PM »

I'm in Chapter 7 right now (finished the arena maze with the dork on the jetpack last night) and I'm really starting to see the flaws. The controls are good, but the responsiveness to the controls is lacking. I'll swing into the side of a building and just float there, sticking a jump is kinda tough when you catch on the side of a building, and it's amazing how quickly you can swing into a building, go into a wall run, and be heading straight down instead of up. That's to mention the draw rate problems, or other random bugs and glitches that are showing a game that needed at least another couple of weeks of polish. And the less said about the water missions the better. :twisted:

I'm glad I didn't pay full price, and for $20 I'm still having fun despite the dozens of problems. Am I alone in thinking this?

aledromo
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2004, 02:41:04 PM »

Well, sorry, but I'm not with you.  What system are you playing this one, because I haven't seen any real glitches, and the controls work fine for me.  Draw distance only comes up when I'm savagely beating a former mugger and sometimes lose him or her off camera, but everything else works totally sweet.  Have you been bought by Gamespot?

AgtFox

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2004, 02:51:04 PM »

There is a difference in controlling between "easy controls" and "manual controls" (manual allows you to do a slingshot for instance and you have more control).  I also have not found the control to be too hard and I'm getting pretty adept at swinging around the city, including doing quick 90 degree turns with Spidey.

stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2004, 03:03:05 PM »

I absolutely hated the maze in the arena.  It's simple once you figure it out, but it wasn't very fun.

As for controls, I used the normal controls and had little problem swinging around.  I didn't hit the sides of the buildings unless I was headed straight into it.  As easy as it is to control on normal, I imagine easy swing would take any fun out of it.

Played it on the Xbox.  Didn't really notice any draw in, but I wasn't looking for it.  The graphics aren't exactly stellar, but they are functional and it keeps the game moving at a nice clip.  Spidey looks detailed (as does Black Cat, whose super power must be an anti-gravity field).

As said many times before it's a fun game.  I found it to be short, but there are a ton of things to do if you really want to spend more time in the city once you've beat the regular game.  I just wish there was a bit more to it.

Did anybody notice there were two or three CG cutscenes?  They looked totally out of place when all the others are done with the game engine.  They looked nice until you got a look at the human models.  I wonder if they ran out of time before implementing them all.

aledromo
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2004, 03:06:38 PM »

I intend to complete this game.  This is a man who never got more than 23% in either Grand Theft Auto game talking, so take that for what it's worth.  It's just fun.  I'm sorry if others aren't having as much fun with it as I am, because I've got enjoyment to spare if only there were some way.

whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 12, 2004, 03:12:35 PM »

Don't get me wrong, I'm still having a lot of fun with it, but there are just a slew of things I'm noticing with it that take away from the polish. Were it more of a "complete" game, then it would be my GOTY candidate right now. I guess the allusion would be the issues some people had with KOTOR on Xbox last year and why it was undeserving of all of the GOTY praise it got. Just a thought.

Those buoy tokens are tough buggers to come by though. I've picked up over a dozen of them and those took a while. I've completed the Hint token collecting (some of which are brutally funny), but I've not found any of the Hideout tokens. I guess 'cause they're hidden and all that, right? smile Any thoughts on where to start grabbing those? If they're story-related, bear in mind that Dr. Octavious still hasn't become Doc Ock for me yet.

stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: July 12, 2004, 03:31:10 PM »

Those buoy tokens are tough buggers to come by though. I've picked up over a dozen of them and those took a while. I've completed the Hint token collecting (some of which are brutally funny), but I've not found any of the Hideout tokens. I guess 'cause they're hidden and all that, right? smile Any thoughts on where to start grabbing those? If they're story-related, bear in mind that Dr. Octavious still hasn't become Doc Ock for me yet.

I don't think they are story related, though I did beat Doc Ock before I stumbled upon them.

When you see a red building on your map it might be a hideout.  I have only found one token so far, but I wandered in (wondering why the building was red).  I got involved in a little bar room brawl then took the token.

I haven't picked up any bouy tokens, nor have I done any of the sinking boat missions.

Also, what are the arcades?  I see that listed in the progress menu, but haven't located any or the tokens.

Hrothgar

Do you Talk Strategy?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: July 12, 2004, 07:08:51 PM »

There's one arcade near the pizza parlor.  It has four games.  I really can't say I enjoyed any of them.  They looked like left over debug modes.  Still they're easy to unlock.

Has anyone gotten the 50k hero points yet and seen the next chapter.  I know if must give you access to the ultimate swing upgrade but anything else?

Oh, I also can't get the super web to work at all.  It's supposed to by Y,X,Y,Y or something like that, but  I've never gotten it to work.

Overall great game if only for its sense of fun.

Cheers,
Hrothgar
Live gamertag & PSN name: HrothgarGG
I'm updating my website again.

"No, not alone."  -- War, Darksiders
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 12, 2004, 07:09:17 PM »

I found the arcade by accident (though I thought it was from an early mission) and you go in and do Spidey moves in the form of an '80's arcade game. You get so far in one, you unlock another. I got to one point that I couldn't beat and went off on something else.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: