http://gamingtrend.com
August 02, 2014, 02:53:54 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: LOTR: TTA (More impressions please!)  (Read 2551 times)
JCC
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: November 05, 2004, 03:50:11 PM »

Thought I would start a new thread since the other got locked. I want more impressions pleaase! smile

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2004, 03:58:59 PM »

Sepiche

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2004, 04:02:07 PM »

I'll help out:
I got through most of Moria last night.  And Still having a lot of fun.  I picked up GTA at the same time and honestly, I am having a ton more fun with TTA.

I really like the way your party tends to be just a step or two behind the fellowship, and they reflect that in events.  For instance one even in Moria has your party in the lower levels when Pippen accidently knocks the armor down that well in the tomb.  Your party is actually beneth that well and the equipment lands next to them. smile

The only thing I'm not liking as much is that, so far, the whole thing is REALLY on rails.  There is not much freedom at all, although this might change.

Overall though the gameplay is good and the setting really keep you coming back to see more.

s

Edit:  Kevin Grey: Nice. smile

And when he had failed to find these boons in things whose laws are known and measurable, they told him he lacked imagination, and was immature because he preferred dream-illusions to the illusions of our physical creation
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2004, 04:20:35 PM »

I have only played about 15 minutes but I was not overly impressed.  I think I am in the minority but I thougth the graphics were pretty poor.  Maybe it was because I had just been playing Shadow Hearts: Covenant but I didn't really like the look of TTA.  

And they keep talking about showing the turn order as though this is such a revolution - unseen since FF10....well as I said I was just playing SH:C and it has it so again I wasn't blown away by TTA having it.

All in all I guess I agree the the Gamespy review - an average RPG with a cool movie tie in.

Sepiche

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2004, 04:41:52 PM »

And they keep talking about showing the turn order as though this is such a revolution - unseen since FF10....well as I said I was just playing SH:C and it has it so again I wasn't blown away by TTA having it.

You're right.  I can think of a number of games that use a similar system.  For me the I think it's one of the ways where it strayed from FF's style and I'm glad.  I like the complete turn based system rather than the "active time" (I think that's what they called it) thing the Final Fantasies used.

Just preference though.

I really should pick up the new Shadow Hearts.  I beat the old one a while ago and liked it, and everything I hear about the new one is that it's better.

s

And when he had failed to find these boons in things whose laws are known and measurable, they told him he lacked imagination, and was immature because he preferred dream-illusions to the illusions of our physical creation
olaf

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2004, 04:55:27 PM »

I am still liking it too.  I shelved San Andreas for it, which was responsible for me shelving SMT.

The gameplay is rather generic, the combat system doesnt have anything new or unique.  The character development is not deep.  You pick a stat to raise when you level, and you build skills by using them, but the only real choices are what to focus on first.  If you wanted to, you could get every skill.  There is a lot of gear to get, but there are no shops, no economy.  The plot is ok, its just there in order to get you following in the Fellowship's footsteps though.

The two things that you might say are unique to the game, as it compares to console RPGs, are its use of live action footage and the evil mode.  There are just over 100 'unlockable' film segments.  These are edited together scenes from the film, but with new voice over.  It works like a journal would in many RPGs, except that instead of text, there is a video clip and a narrator.  Some of them feel out of place, but overall it feels like you are getting some Middle Earth lore.

The other new thing would be the evil mode.  This is just a string of representative battles from a given region that you can play as the bad guys once you have beaten said region.  Beating the good guys gives you some trinkets to add to your save game, gear that in many cases is not available elsewhere.  They could have done a LOT more with this, but its still entertaining.  Its only like 5-15 minutes per region though...I think the most fights I have seen are 4 in row, the least 2.  Usually half of the battles you are playing the grunt troops, and the other half you are playing as some of the bosses from the region.

Anyway, the game is just fun.  I want to level up my guys, get new gear, and listen to what Gandalf is gonna tell me next.

I think the graphics are good for a console game.  The art style is more western than a typical console RPG, and I like that a lot.

The sound is good, the music is reminiscent of the films.

I think it will appeal to many Middle Earth fans. Assuming they can accept the premise.  If you are the kind of person who got pissed off at Peter Jackson's films because they were not true to the book, steer clear.

olaf
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2004, 07:35:46 PM »

I'm really enjoying it too.  I can see the faults the reviews mention, but they don't bother me.  I'm usually willing to forgive a game's problems if it has a license I like, and FFX is my favorite game of all time, so it doesn't bother me that they borrowed so much from it.  
I really like the attention to detail in the game.  Your character changing appearance with the different equipment is great, and a feature I wish more console RPGs would adopt.  Also, on Hard mode, the game has had a nice level of challenge so far.  I haven't died yet, but I came very close in one fight, even with my party members expending all of their AP on special moves.  I'm glad that save points heal your party, or I wouldn't have made it.  What I'm most impressed about is that they managed to capture the grandeur and majesty of the films.  From the music, the detailed, expansive environments, and the voice-overs by Ian McKellan, it all fits perfectly into the world of the movies.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2004, 06:27:47 AM »

I picked up LotR:  TTT this afternoon, having serious doubts whether or not I'd like it.  I love both FFX and LotR, but wasn't sure how well they'd go together.

I just finished playing for 6 1/2 hours straight.  Good God, this is possibly the most addicting RPG I've played in a long time.   So far, this game has done absolutely everything right.  The battle system is fun, the graphics are superb, the use of music (it's the movie score) is perfect, the movie segments and McKellen's VO work is well done, and overall I'm having a complete blast with it.  I'd highly recommend it to anyone who even remotely enjoyed FFX or LotR

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2004, 06:43:52 AM »

My question is how much is the story a motivating factor?  I love LOTR to death but I've seen all of the movies several times and the fact that EA is limited to the movie license vice Middle Earth in general makes me wonder how they can craft a compelling tale.  Movie footage does nothing for me- I have all the DVD releases so far so seeing clips from the movie isn't much of a reward.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2004, 05:04:46 PM »

Admittedly I'm not very far into the game yet, but it doesn't look like the story is going to be very strong at all.  Even worse, they make the members of your party resemble the fellowship.  Not Boromir from Gondor, but Berethor, not Aragorn the Dunedain, but Erethor the Dunedain, etc.  I wish they had just created completely original characters.

So yeah, if you're looking for a compelling story, I don't think this is your answer.  This is more of a "dumb fun" game, and if you can accept what it is it's pretty fun.
Pharaoh

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2004, 05:11:56 PM »

Just beat this badboy after a marathon session.

Its dumb fun, exactly as said. The "original" story is lame, the ending doesn't exist, but the ride there is quite fun.

Yes, the characters are all tounge in cheek knock offs of the Fellowship, but each is very different, and has a large, unique skill tree to build up on.

The levels are quite varied, graphics are solid, the bosses are hard, and the new narration is a nice draw.

Overall, simple, easy, uses the license quite well, and a very very satisfactory experience, espeically with Co-Op.

Special Kudos to the Devs though....the models for the Balrog, Oliphants, Witch King and Sauron are all awesome, and the strategic balance is quite fluid the entire game. Not like FF where you get your main characters "Ultimate" attack and just spam it constantly. Each character has a distinct ability set to bring to battles, and adapting to the storyline (which does have some nice moments) is key.

Barathor is my hero!

9/10 - One of those rare gems that comes out every X-mas that seems like "been there, done that", but actually is the best use of the LOTR license yet! Loved it.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2004, 06:02:11 PM »

Pharoah, can you comment on who the end boss is (spoiler marked of course)?
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2004, 06:16:42 PM »

Panz-can you tell me how many hours it took you roughly?
Pharaoh

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2004, 12:47:08 AM »

SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS

The End Boss is Sauron...yes, the Eye of Sauron itself, up top to tower of Barad-Du or whatever. Like I said earlier, the ending is kinda screwy, because you win the huge battle on Pellinor fields, Witch King down, Oliphants dead, then Aragorn comes by and thanks you (the ultimate summon, Call of the Dead, rocks btw). Then you just pop up and fight Sauron. Hes a cheap mofo, but thanks to some lucky planning I got him down and got the end cinema.

My final time, with 100% on each map, and all Evil Modes completed, is 16:22

SPOILERS SPOILERS
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2004, 12:57:27 AM »

Rage, don't know if you read the spoilers- Pharoah's final time was just over 16 hours.  That seems a far cry from the promised 40+ hours.  

Pharoah, thanks for answer on that one.  That is just, um, bizarre.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2004, 01:51:28 AM »

Didn't read the spoilers, thanks kevin. Looks like I will rent this on a long weekend..maybe next week if Halo 2 doesn't take too long.

On a happier note, I got a PSTwo today, so I can finally go back to play Rachet and Clank:GC.. I had a bunch of others coming too, but they are nowhere to be seen in the mail.
Vinda-Lou

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2004, 03:53:36 PM »

I've tried to find out about the save system, but probably missed it in my skimming of articles.  What is the save system like?  If it's checkpoint, how close are they?
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2004, 04:39:23 PM »

It's a checkpoint system.  At least in the beginning they come pretty often, I can't speak of the later game.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2004, 07:33:19 PM »

Wow, this game just took a huge jump in difficulty.  I just got through Moria (that Balrog's a mean bitch), and didn't really have any problems all the way through.  Really, the Balrog fight is the only one that gave me any trouble at all.

On to the next level...and I start getting my ass simply handed to me. These Uruk-hai and Orc parties are strong as hell, their stun attacks are a killer, and I've gotten mopped three times in just the opening section.

Did you guys find this section to be much more difficult, or did I simply not level up my characters enough through Moria?  I'm playing on Normal difficulty, btw.

Pharaoh

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2004, 07:40:05 PM »

A big thing I found is using Benethor at all times. His Leadership abilities, espeically the Immunity to Stun and Spirt resistances are huge, especially when those stupid casters start using Murder of Crows.

I had trouble leveling at that point, but there should be a point near the Worg Queen where a Save Point is in her nest, and you get aggro real fast near it. I just saved (Full HP/Mana), then fought twice, went back, and repeated until I got a few more levels for my characters.
olaf

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2004, 08:06:33 PM »

Elegost's passive abilities that boost arrows of sleep and crippling shot are godlike for a while.  Later stuff that is immune to them becomes more common, but its rare to find entire groups of stuff that are immune to both slow and sleep.

Idrial with an elfstone that boosts spirit effects along with her passive talent that boosts spirit damage make her a MEAN shadow wielder.  Black Speech and Wheel of Fire are devastating in her arsenal.

Finally, I like to keep the Perfect mode maxed and take advantage of the passives that certain characters have while its that way.  Berethor gets 1/4 AP cost, and Hadhod/Morwen both always crit.  I have occasionally used a Perfect Mode attack in a pinch though.

olaf
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 08, 2004, 01:06:40 PM »

Quote from: "Pharaoh"
A big thing I found is using Benethor at all times. His Leadership abilities, espeically the Immunity to Stun and Spirt resistances are huge, especially when those stupid casters start using Murder of Crows.

I had trouble leveling at that point, but there should be a point near the Worg Queen where a Save Point is in her nest, and you get aggro real fast near it. I just saved (Full HP/Mana), then fought twice, went back, and repeated until I got a few more levels for my characters.

Thanks for the tip Pharaoh.  Since there weren't many enemies in Moria that had stun attacks, I had skipped over that one in Berethor's Leadership skill tree.  Once I picked it up, it made the rest of that level pretty easy.

Regarding game length, I'm a little over 10 hours and it says I'm only at 30% complete (just got to the plains of Rohan).  I've heard it's only 15-20 hours, so is the last half of the game really short, or am I just really slow?

JCC

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 23, 2004, 11:50:47 PM »

I just got to the Eastern Moria and I am having a blast! Yes, this is a dumb RPG all the way, but wow what a teriffic use of the license! ME LIKEY~! smile

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: