http://gamingtrend.com
November 26, 2014, 05:35:47 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: LotR: Battle for Middle Earth - First Impressions  (Read 12134 times)
Hetz
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 09, 2004, 01:43:01 PM »

Quote from: "Purge"
Quote from: "Thin_J"
Hetz just made me want this game frown

I was doing so good with my "no more game purchases until next year" goal too.

Now I just might not make it.

Ya big jerk.

Yeah, I'm kinda hating on Hetz right now too... how am I gonna explain another purchase this close to christmas??

Dammit Hetz, take a page from LE, our resident wet-blankets book; tell us how it let you down. slywink

Just kiddin' (LE).  Cool

Heh, I wasn't called a Game Pimp at Gone Gold for nothin ya know...  :wink:

Anyway, here is another map that has been made, but the cool thing about this map is that you can play with all the heroes and units that were cut from the game! They are all still in the editor, so you can make maps with them as playable units.

http://www.fileplanet.com/dl.aspx?/rpgplanet/memw/maps/b4mecutunitmap.zip

There are: Elrond, Isildur, Sauron, Gamling, Goth-mog and a couple of porter units. There are a bunch of other heroes and units that were in the game as well like: Arwen, Denethor, Haladir, Last Alliance Elves and others but there are no models for them just the unit info. So someone will have to make models for them in order for them to be playable.

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 09, 2004, 03:22:11 PM »

Anyone else annoyed by all the "popups" before the game starts? First there's the electronic arts logo, then new line cinema, then "plays great on pentium 4!" spam, and finally THQ popup.
Problem is you cant just escape out of them. You have to wait for them to finish loading, EVERY single time you startup the game.
Granted it only lasts about a minute for all of them, still, I see this as getting pretty annoying after a dozen games or so and you are looking forward to jumping right into the game.

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
Leatherneck
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 09, 2004, 07:05:23 PM »

biggrin

Anyone else annoyed by all the "popups" before the game starts? First there's the electronic arts logo, then new line cinema, then "plays great on pentium 4!" spam, and finally THQ popup.
Problem is you cant just escape out of them. You have to wait for them to finish loading, EVERY single time you startup the game.
Granted it only lasts about a minute for all of them, still, I see this as getting pretty annoying after a dozen games or so and you are looking forward to jumping right into the game.

Corruptrelic, this always happens in most, if not all EA games.  There is a way to skip all that and just load right into the main menu.  Go to this folder:
D:\Program Files\EA GAMES\The Battle for Middle-earth (tm)\data\movies

Take out the movies named Intel, NewLine, THX, and EAlogo movie file and you're done!

Semper Fidelis
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 10, 2004, 01:50:43 AM »

For those of you that are frustrated about the low command point limit and wanting HUGE battles like you saw in the preview movies....well help has arrived.

Here is how to do it, I also posted this on another BfME forum as well, Ill just copy and paste, cause I am lazy... smile

But anyway people it's very easy to do. Just download the ini file package that is floating around the net. Then save them to a folder called 'ini' in the data folder. Then open up the gamedata.ini file and find this section:

;;; CAMPAIGN BONUS CAPS
GoodCommandPointLimit          = 600
EvilCommandPointLimit          = 1400
PowerLimit               = 60
ResourceMultiplierLimit     = 5.0

;;; INITIAL MAX RING LEVEL PLAYER CAN ACHIEVE
InitialMaxRingLevel = 60 ;2

;;; Resource Bonus Percentage
ResourceBonusMultiplier = 10.0                              ; 10% bonus per region conquered

;;; COMMAND POINTS FOR SOLO PLAY HUMAN (INCLUDING LIVING WORLD) ;;;
GoodCommandPoints = 100
EvilCommandPoints = 300

GoodCommandPointsBonus = 40           ; bonuses for every territory captures in living world
EvilCommandPointsBonus = 100

;;; COMMAND POINTS FOR SOLO PLAY AI ;;;
GoodCommandPointsAI = 600
EvilCommandPointsAI = 1200

;;; COMMAND POINTS FOR MULTIPLAY ;;;
GoodCommandPointsMP2 = 1000           ; 2 players
EvilCommandPointsMP2 = 2000

GoodCommandPointsMP3 = 300                ; 3 players
EvilCommandPointsMP3 = 600

GoodCommandPointsMP4 = 300                ; 4 players
EvilCommandPointsMP4 = 600

GoodCommandPointsMP56 = 200           ; 5-6 players
EvilCommandPointsMP56 = 400

GoodCommandPointsMP78 = 160           ; 7-8 players
EvilCommandPointsMP78 = 320

Notice what levels I have changed already?

You can also change the FPS limiter in the ini file. Look for this section in the ini file:

UseFPSLimit = Yes
FramesPerSecondLimit = 30

Change them to whatever you like...

Enjoy people! smile

-----

Granted, you need a powerful system to have a ton of units on screen....but for those that do (like me!  biggrin ) well now you can have some truly EPIC battles...

Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 10, 2004, 02:36:41 AM »

I forgot the most important part...sorry...you need to REMOVE THE INI.BIG file from your install directory. That is the most importatnt part and I forgot to put that in my directions. The game defaults to that all the time, if it is still in your install directory.

Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: December 10, 2004, 02:42:23 AM »

Here is a pic of a REAL Rohirrim army! smile

jonsauce
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 10, 2004, 12:28:33 PM »

Wow, maybe I will get this one then!

Do you have a link to the ini package thingy?  I don't want to grab something that I think is it that isn't.  I just finished reformatting my other computer thanks to my wife getting something that our virus and adaware software couldn't get rid of.

Now Playing
--------------
NHL 09
NFL Head Coach 09
Red Faction Guerilla
Rockband 2
Scott

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 10, 2004, 03:51:01 PM »

Here is a pic of a REAL Rohirrim army!

That still looks pretty weak compared to Total War Rome.  I really wish EA used the Rome engine, that would have been great.  Anything other games these days feels like small scale skirmishes, not epic like LoTR.  

Still, it does look fun, so I'm looking for a deal now.  Command and Conquer gameplay with the great movie music makes a fun game it appears.

---
XBox Live: ScottW
Sepiche

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 10, 2004, 03:59:51 PM »

Did someone say Lord of the Rings: Total War? smile

Mod Details

And when he had failed to find these boons in things whose laws are known and measurable, they told him he lacked imagination, and was immature because he preferred dream-illusions to the illusions of our physical creation
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 10, 2004, 05:40:11 PM »

Quote from: "Sepiche"
Did someone say Lord of the Rings: Total War? smile

Mod Details

If and when that ever comes out, let me know. I'd give it about a 10% chance of ever appearing...

Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 10, 2004, 05:42:39 PM »

Quote from: "jonsauce"
Wow, maybe I will get this one then!

Do you have a link to the ini package thingy?  I don't want to grab something that I think is it that isn't.  I just finished reformatting my other computer thanks to my wife getting something that our virus and adaware software couldn't get rid of.

http://www.rpgplanet.com/memw/temp/b4me/tutorials/commpointchange.shtml

leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 10, 2004, 06:29:34 PM »

Well I know this, I bought it on that Amazon.com snafu where it was listed for $14.99 and they honored the price.  It just shipped yesterday from Amazon and the price never changed from $19.97 total (incl. shipping).  I should have it in a few days.
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 10, 2004, 11:37:56 PM »

Thanks for that bit of information leatherneck! Never thought of deleting the movie files before, hell I didn't even know there were any.

Nice review of the campaign hetz. Dont know if it's similiar to Warcraft 3, though. Warcraft 3 is like starcraft, even years after it's released it's still popular. (People are still playing warcraft 2 by the thousands!)
The resource gathering and the way you expand your town is much different than warcraft 3. In warcraft 3 it has the traditional RTS element of go out and build another base by new resources, which is, IMO, the best way to do it.
In battle for middle earth, it's more like Warhammer Dawn of War, if anything. At least the way you expand your base.

Does the AI build up massive armies with that ini you posted? It looks like there's a couple lines in there that give the AI more units, but since it wasn't "official" out of the box, I wonder if they'll take advantage of it?
I wish we could get the type of scenarios you mentioned in skirmish mode. That castle assault sounds awesome.. too bad you won't see it in skirmish mode.

By the way I agree, Rome Total War is a better game. The graphics are better, the sieges are better, the AI is better, and you can have more units.
Battle for middle earth isn't a horrible game though, it's just that good of one!

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
jonsauce
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 11, 2004, 12:16:46 AM »

Thanks for the link Hetz!

Now Playing
--------------
NHL 09
NFL Head Coach 09
Red Faction Guerilla
Rockband 2
Gryndyl

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 11, 2004, 12:38:47 AM »

Quote from: "corruptrelic"
Thanks for that bit of information leatherneck! Never thought of deleting the movie files before, hell I didn't even know there were any.

or replace them with pr0n smile

Twitter: Slush Pile Tweets
Amazon Author Pages: Horror, Humor
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: December 11, 2004, 12:59:21 AM »

I am totally disappointed in the game's performance.  I was hoping it would run better than this on my machine.

I have
P4 2.6
1g pc3200
6600gt 128meg Nnidia

And in the first mission (Moria) of the good campaign the slowdown is so bad it takes my characters a good 20 seconds just to cross my 17 inch screen!  They are moving in ultra ultra slow mo.  Not all the time, and not even when there happens to be anything happening.  Pitiful.  And I only have the settings at 10x7 Medium detail.

I am not sure I want to play it at all if it won't run any better than that.  At this speed it will take me hours and hours just to finish a single mission.  If noone else is seeing this, then I will assume it is my machine not being up to snuff and trade this off until my next rig a year from now.  Too bad cuz it was sure reeking of quality in every other department.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
Sparhawk

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 11, 2004, 10:31:57 PM »

Myth was owned by a different publisher.

Taken from Bungie.net:

When Bungie joined forces with Microsoft, THEY sold the rights to Myth and Oni to Take 2 Interactive (God Games), who went on to make Myth III.  

Bungie owned Myth, but decided to dump the game and Oni. (You hear about Oni in Halo and Halo2. The books also go into detail about ONI.)

Oni was actually sold off before Bungie was aquired by Microsoft.

Bungie is still one of my favorite developers. I would like them to buy back the rights to Myth or create a Myth type game in the future.

PSN: Kal_Torok
Xbox Live: Sparhawk GT
Vindel
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 11, 2004, 10:39:18 PM »

Hey mikeg. I am having this problem as well. On the Moria level my characters seem as if they are running in mud...! I did read somewhere that another person had this problem but once he finished the level it didn't happen anymore. Well I have yet to know if this is true do to, it's probably going to take hours to beat the level first...hahaha

Now playing:
PC
Forsaken World

Xbox 360
CoD BO

PS3
Uncharted 3 MP beta
Fuzzballx

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 16, 2004, 03:00:16 PM »

Picked this up yesterday evening.  I had a lot of problems installing but after killing my virtual drives it worked fine.  Go EA..dumb farts.. game won't install right if you have a virtual drive assigned to a letter before your real drive.  Errors out on a file 18% of the way through installation.  Anywho, got that figured out and it installed fine after that.

My impression of the game is so far, very favorable.  It's really fun, which is what gaming should be all about.

SPOILER HERE:
My favorite part of the game so far is how things are DIFFERENT from the movies/books.  For ex: you don't lose Gandolf in Moria.  This is defintely a cool thing.

I also like the natural progression of the game from small armies towards large armies as you gain more and more command points.

The graphics are very good though not quite as high detail as i was expecting.  Sounds are good, voice acting is good.

Overall after playing about 8 missions i'd give the game a solid 85% for single player first impression.  In other words, well worth it for big fans of the movies.

I have yet to attempt skirmish or multi player or fiddle with the settings allowing larger armies.  I plan to finish the SP stories first.

I have been playing the good side so far on medium difficulty and the game has provided some very good challenges in single player forcing some good tactics use and making you stay very alert to do well.  The evil guys just keep coming fast=).

They have plenty of strategy available for your use and the game is definitely the traditional rock paper scissors RTS.  Sending a charge of cavalry into orc lancers is bad news, your cavalry get eaten alive!  On the other hand, going up against cavalry with sword n shield infantry is bad bad news for the footies.  Archers are effective against most stuff, not very against warg riders though, and only average against giant trolls.  I mean an arrow just isnt much to those guys, the best way to take them down is with hero melee units or Gandolf's magic.

So having to manuvuver squads of horse to effectively use both horse archers and horse warriors against varying types of enemy battalions has been my biggest challenge and the most fun so far.

The ability for horse to run over the enemy is finely done.  The charges are so cool.  However, even there, you gotta be carefull.  The slower your going through the enemy the more damage your cavalry take from the enemy.  If your attacking a large mass of infantry and archers with a small group of cavalry, charging straight intot he middle is clearly suicide.  See, you get bogged down.  It's like diving into water.  You go in fast at first and slow down rapidly.  Same thing charging into a mass of men with horses.  So you have to use real tactics, cut off the ends, make quick passes taking out chunks off the sides while staying out of range of the deadly archers and using your archers to run in, fire volleys at the lancers and run away.

Until i started really doing all this, i thought my horse were like invincible against all foot units... boy was i wrong, i lost 5 rank 2 battalions of horse in seconds on my second rohan mission i think.

Also, with Horse especially its good to go out on the map fast at the beginning and destroy as much as you can.  There's one map where someone posted they thought it was gonna be easy but not long into the mission the enemy showed up and laid heavy siege to their fort and wiped em out.   Well on this mission my cavalry went out fast and ended up destroying the enemy before they could build all that stuff.  It was really hard fought and quite bloody and I had to pull back 3 times but my fort never even got attacked.  So these missions are defintely up to you how you wanna play them.

I am solidly enjoying the game.
Goonch
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 16, 2004, 05:44:24 PM »

I'm stuck in the Mines of Moria. I have reached the tomb chamber and nothing is happening. I can't seem to go any further.

Any hints?
flyinj
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: December 16, 2004, 06:19:25 PM »

Is there any way to pause and give orders? The moria mission is gets really chaotic in the tomb, and all my guys die every time. Being able to pause to issue special attack orders would help tremendously here...
Fuzzballx

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 16, 2004, 06:36:36 PM »

Pause and order? don't think so but not positive.

Try this:

Use the bonus level ups to level up your melee guys.  Right click Gandolf's first power so he uses it automatically when its charged.  Click the switch attack button on the hobbits to make them all stand back and throw rocks instead of going melee.

I say use the auto level ups for the melee folks like boromir, aragorn, and gimli because ranged attackers level a lot faster than melee it seems like.

Also grab the heal power asap so that you can lay it down to heal everyone in the circle and use aragorns hero heal power as needed in big fights.  

Watch the health bars at the bottom of the screen below your hero icons to watch their health.  If one is low and no heal is availble run him around your other heros for a hero manually.
flyinj
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 16, 2004, 11:26:30 PM »

No pause and order?

Ahh... I don't think I'm going to be able to play this then...

I simply can't play RTSes that don't allow pause and order.
LucidSmoke
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 17, 2004, 05:02:00 AM »

I just fired this baby up but am experiencing a very strange bug.  I can only go about 5 minutes into Moria.  Unexpectedly, all of my partymembers scream and fall to the ground dead!  There is no battle and they are uninjured whien this happens.  It's like I pushed a suicide key for the entire party.  Very strange.  Has happened every time I play!!!
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 17, 2004, 08:04:13 AM »

Quote from: "flyinj"
No pause and order?

Then it wouldn't be callled  Real Time Strategy
galaril
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 17, 2004, 03:46:44 PM »

Well,
I got it and it is fun but not what I was hoping for as far as unit AI.One thing that is promising A EA spokesman made this post over at the Middle Earth fan site. It does sound like they will support this game, lsiten to the feedback form fans and hey will make a exapansion. We got to remember Pete Jackson is connected to this project and I would bet he's not gonna let EA fuck his license reputation.

Quaote"
Folks,

Some of you have been asking about post product support for B4ME, especially given the notes that we are thinking of an expansion pack and working on RA3.

Rather than get into arguments and debates about how much support there has been on Red Alert 2 or Generals and then whether people will be happy with support for B4ME, I thought I would give a bit of the bigger picture going forward.

The key thing to note is that we're going to have a dedicated team for B4ME going forward. This differs from our past process of having a our one team jump from product to product(i.e. Red Alert 2, Yuri's, Generals, Zero Hour, B4ME). The very nature of having this team means that the landscape for support and development of B4ME games has changed from how things have worked in the past.

Next thing, is that we are going to support the product (and already have) because we know it's important and it's the right thing to do.

Because the product has been out for about a day, it's too early to outline all of the things we have planned and instead I suggest to everyone that they just watch and participate in the support going, giving feedback about things you appreciate as well as things you don't appreciate.

For those of you who are skeptics or like to post negative comments about everything(especially those posting from guest accounts), you should watch and keep a record of the things we've done and then post those with your comments and conclusions. You guys can do a great service to the community by helping to ensure that everyone is exactly aware of what's really happening or not.

Hope this helps explain the bigger picture for everyone.

Basically, the time for words and debates support has past. Instead, we'll let our actions speak for themselves.

Have fun,
Mark"
Fuzzballx

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 17, 2004, 09:01:03 PM »

Sounds promising, we'll see how they deliver...after all, it's always about the almighty dollar.

I have been enjoying this game more and more, though.  I have now progressed to the Helm's Deep mission in the good storyline.  The immersiveness is huge in this title.  It's very fast paced and I enjoy that too.  I really enjoy the simple resource management and unit production allowing total focus on battlefield tactics and strategy (i see those as two distinctly seperate items).

I have not enountered any bugs yet at all except that the installer won't run with virtual drives active (it errors out on a file 18% of the way through).

The sound and graphics are fantastic.  The voice acting is very good.  The SP campaign is well put together and plenty exciting.  It's just barely different enough from the movie to be interesting even in the story.  I'm impressed with how much they got away with doing on the movie license.  There's a lot of battles here to be won.

The hero units are not quite as usable as warcraft 3 but they come out very realistically in their combat ability and function.

The only part of the game so far that i don't understand is how Aragorn has a group hero heal spell...that one has me stumped.

Still havn't touched the skirmish or MP but i'd say the game is worth the price of entry for LOTR fans who aren't totally burned out on RTS (i dont play very many RTS games).
PaulBot

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: December 18, 2004, 04:22:43 AM »

Finally got to play this after installing it a week ago.

What fun! The SP campaign is like being part of the movie. I'm enjoying it!

Gandalf really kicks some bootie with his special abilities!!

TAKE THAT YOU SCUMBAGS!!

CEO of the GT Post Padders Club
LucidSmoke
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 19, 2004, 05:44:20 PM »

Well I got my AI problems fixed by reinstalling the game.  

The cameras are really driving me nuts.  I can zoom in and out and can rotate view just fine.  What I really want is to be able to tilt the camera more so I can see more of the landscape in the view.  I don't like the fact that I can't adjust the angle.  However, when I see screen shots, it looks like the angles can be manipulated.  Does anyone know how I can do this?
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #69 on: December 20, 2004, 11:39:15 PM »

Can you change the difficulty setting at any time or do you have to start a whole new game and start from scratch to reset the difficulty.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
LucidSmoke
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: December 23, 2004, 11:54:45 PM »

Well, now that I have seen some in-game cut scenes, I recognize that many of the screenshots I have seen are from the cut scenes...not the actuall gameplay.  So, it looks like we are stuck with the camera angle as is.  That's to bad as I would really like to get some horizon shots.  Oh, well.

I am enjoying the game more as I progress.  I have very little experience with RTS games.  I have certainly been experiencing a learning curve here.  I know alot of people would appreciate a more complex RTS (based on feedback in the forums), however, I think I would be overwhelmed with any more complexity than this.  I mean, on the Moria level, I had difficulty appreciating the action because I was to busy trying to find keys and singling out characters.....complete mayhem.  Now that I am becoming more comfortable with the interface, I can relax a bit more and appreciate the eye candy.

One implementation I think would be very helpful is to be able to use a mouse button on a character which would activate your custom grouping.  For example, if I had the entire fellowship designated as group number one, I could use a designated mouse button on any of the nine characters to select the entire "Group 1".
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: December 24, 2004, 12:16:31 AM »

The main thing I don't like about the game is the unit carryover.  I'm towards the end or maybe just pass the middle and I rarely have to build any units now.  I just have 280+ units already at my disposal, and rarely die.  It's just too easy now
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: December 24, 2004, 12:21:59 AM »

Quote from: "naednek"
Quote from: "flyinj"
No pause and order?

Then it wouldn't be callled  Real Time Strategy

Rise of Nations is an RTS, and it allows pause and order. I'm pretty sure Rome TW does as well, and so do a lot of other RTS'.  I think it's understood you can't have it in multiplayer, but it certainly makes managing the chaos a lot easier in single-player.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #73 on: December 24, 2004, 06:06:29 AM »

I bet the same people who say RTS games should allow you to pause and order are the same ones who argue against save anywhere features.  slywink

Play the game how you want, but just because a feature is in there doesn't mean you have to use it.

For Pause and Order RTS games, I consider it a great feature that not only helps slowly players grasp RTS games, it can increase your enjoyment of the game, allowing you to pause during a fight, order some things to happen in another area, then come back and actually watch the fight unfold.  Unlike in other games where you basicaly ignore most fights and go straight to your base to queu up the next wave.
LucidSmoke
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: December 27, 2004, 04:45:54 AM »

In response to the question of why Aragorn can heal units, I believe it's because he is proficient at using herbs to heal people.  In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if the plant on the healing button is Kingsfoil, which was used specifically for healing in the books and movie.
Greggy_D

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: December 27, 2004, 03:21:41 PM »

I also got to play a bit of my 14.99 Amazon copy.  I like it and find it entertaining, but it is rather easy.  And it transforms my system into it's bitch.  I haven't seen a game run around 1-2 fps (at times) in a LOOOOOOOONG time.
Jag

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: December 27, 2004, 03:54:47 PM »

Quote from: "LucidSmoke"
In response to the question of why Aragorn can heal units, I believe it's because he is proficient at using herbs to heal people.  In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if the plant on the healing button is Kingsfoil, which was used specifically for healing in the books and movie.

I just saw the ROTK: EE last night and Aragorn did heal Eowyn after she battled the Witch King. He kind of did a 'lay on hands' thing. (hmm, Ranger dual classed to Paladin maybe?)  :lol:

My wife asked how he was able to do the healing and i almost said, 'because he can heal in BFME'. Instead i told her because he was part of the elder race of man and they have special earthy druidic powers.
Jeff
Special Project Group

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: December 27, 2004, 04:20:59 PM »

Quote from: "Greggy_D"
I also got to play a bit of my 14.99 Amazon copy.  I like it and find it entertaining, but it is rather easy.  And it transforms my system into it's bitch.  I haven't seen a game run around 1-2 fps (at times) in a LOOOOOOOONG time.

That's got to be a bug some of you are experiencing. My specs:

2.8 ghz P4
1 GB pc3200
GF 6800 (66.93 forceware)
Audigy

playing at 1280x960, Ultra High settings, and it's smooth as silk. Have had no slowdowns at all.
Greggy_D

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: December 27, 2004, 04:53:36 PM »

Hmmm...

Also playing at 1280x960 graphics maxed, 4AA and 8AF.  AMD 3200+, 9800 Pro, 1 gig RAM, Audigy 2 ZS, 4.12 Cats.

The part where Gandalf fights the demon in the Mines is horrendous on my system.  It will slow down to 1-2 FPS, then speed up, then slow down again when using powers.
leo8877

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: December 27, 2004, 07:45:51 PM »

Quote from: "mikeg"
I am totally disappointed in the game's performance.  I was hoping it would run better than this on my machine.

I have
P4 2.6
1g pc3200
6600gt 128meg Nnidia

And in the first mission (Moria) of the good campaign the slowdown is so bad it takes my characters a good 20 seconds just to cross my 17 inch screen!  They are moving in ultra ultra slow mo.  Not all the time, and not even when there happens to be anything happening.  Pitiful.  And I only have the settings at 10x7 Medium detail.

I am not sure I want to play it at all if it won't run any better than that.  At this speed it will take me hours and hours just to finish a single mission.  If noone else is seeing this, then I will assume it is my machine not being up to snuff and trade this off until my next rig a year from now.  Too bad cuz it was sure reeking of quality in every other department.

Something's wrong then, because I have the exact same specs and I can run on 10x7 with ultra-high settings and I have no slowdown.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: