http://gamingtrend.com
July 24, 2014, 01:05:27 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: LotR: Battle for Middle Earth (360) - will this RTS work?  (Read 927 times)
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: June 08, 2006, 12:53:57 AM »

I missed this title for the PC and have recently become interested in the Xbox 360 version coming out in early June. Of course, the biggest hurdle of this game is working smoothly with the 360 controller. I read the IGN article and they seemed to indicate the controls worked, but they weren't gushing over it or praising it so that worries me a bit. Is anyone else interested in this game? I could really use a new RTS game, and it could be cool if it worked out well on the 360.

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2006, 01:28:37 AM »

I am looking forward to this one.  I will be picking it up on release day for sure.  Every preview I have read has praised the implementation of the controls.

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2006, 01:47:40 AM »

Got a podcast talking about that on the front page. From my limited playtime on the floor...yea...surprisingly, it could actually work.  I'm shocked personally.

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2006, 02:08:22 AM »

How do the controls work on the 360?
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2006, 05:23:11 AM »

How do the controls work on the 360?

From IGN:
----------
The gameplay itself is wildly fun stuff. Using the Xbox 360 controller, players use the left analog to move a single cursor across the map. By using the A button, triggers, and the shoulder pads, everything else comes into play. For instance, by moving the cursor over any unit, it will preview that unit. In other words, the unit will light up as if you have selected them. To grab them, press A and it's done. You can double tap it to select the entire army, and then you can drag the cursor over them to confirm the selection. Or you can pick particular unit types if you want using the left trigger. The cursor moves across the screen exceedingly quickly; not as fast as a mouse, but very quickly. The right trigger pulls up options, too. Like for instance, when I was setting up an evil army, I called up seven Cave Trolls. You can stack the seven and set a rally point quickly and easily. Using the right trigger, I pulled up two commands, melee, and then "grab trees," and the seven sauntered off to different trees, stripped them, and prepped them as clubs. Needless to say, trolls with trees in hand do hefty damage against puny dwarves. You can also set up bookmarks using the trigger-initiated menus, which pop up on the lower left hand side of the screen. Another handy feature is the formation system. Press and hold the A button while moving and a formation grid appears, setting up archers in back, warriors up front, and giant trolls in their proper place. Proper placement of your units enables each to fight to their potential, while protecting more vulnerable or valuable units in back.
---------

That's about all IGN has to say about it which doesn't quite indicate whether they work well or not.

The game sure is gorgeous though.

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2006, 05:49:04 AM »

erm,isnt it LOTR:battle for middle earth II?....arent the PC and 360 versions coming out at the same time?

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Scott

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2006, 11:13:55 AM »

arent the PC and 360 versions coming out at the same time?

Its II on the PC, not sure about 360, and it is already out on the PC.  It is a pretty good game.  

If shooters can be done well on the consoles, I have no reason to think RTS games can't be.  Especially now that the 360 can do higher resolutions to accurately render all the small units.

---
XBox Live: ScottW
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2006, 02:56:07 PM »

did xbox 1 have any RTS?...if so,then it should be able to be as good on 360

Jancelot

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2006, 03:00:05 PM »

XBox1 had Goblin Commander which had decent reviews IIRC.  Any others escape my memory at the moment.

I've been holding off on picking up BFME II on the PC to see how the 360 version turns out.  I'm really hoping that the control scheme is intuitive and smooth enough to make it work.
Doopri

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2006, 03:53:25 AM »

im actually really excited about this one too so i have my fingers crossed

never played goblin commander, but kingdom under fire remains one of my fav xbox games and i think it did an awesome job of unit controls - it never felt cumbersome
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2006, 05:23:05 AM »

what about kingdom under fire series...weren't they RTS?...if so i enjoyed them(and even if not so,LOL)

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: