http://gamingtrend.com
October 20, 2014, 11:13:41 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Lost Planet Receives Lukewarm Reviews  (Read 1966 times)
Dante Rising
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: December 30, 2006, 01:49:12 AM »

http://www.gamerankings.com/htmlpages2/931114.asp

There are only three reviews up so far, but I would hardly call a 60,70 and 80 promising scores. I was really looking forward to this game, but it looks like I'll stay in a holding pattern until there is a better consensus from the gaming community at large.

Unfortunately, none of those reviews can be read online, so I'm uncertain what is the main Achille's Heel.  :icon_sad:

<edit> ah, the main issues are camera problems, sluggish response times in certain instances, poor dialogue/storyline, very short
« Last Edit: December 30, 2006, 01:56:13 AM by Dante Rising » Logged
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2006, 05:47:29 AM »

There have been multiple demos for this game, I think most people know what to expect from it anyhow. Still, it sucks to see anything less than stellar reviews coming from a game so highly anticipated. Capcom likes to screw things up occasionally.

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
Windows95
Gaming Trend Reader

Uses only Genuine Microsoft Software!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2006, 06:18:04 AM »

I tried the SP (not MP) demo and didn't think it was all that great.  Not trying to knock the game, but it seemed like a pretty average shooter to me, not a day one purchase.  I never really understood the hype behind the game.  If you like it though, more power too you.

16-bit and loving it!
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2006, 07:46:06 AM »

The one thing that bummed me out when I read the OXM review was that apparently they didn't make any better use of the grappling hook thing than in the old E3 demo.  I was hoping they would make it more useful so I could relive some of my Bionic Commando fantasies. 

Sandwiches do fix everything.
depward

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2006, 07:56:45 AM »

I have fun with the mp demo... but I don't think it warrants a 1st day purchase.

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2006, 08:48:52 AM »

Quote from: Windows95 on December 30, 2006, 06:18:04 AM

I tried the SP (not MP) demo and didn't think it was all that great.  Not trying to knock the game, but it seemed like a pretty average shooter to me, not a day one purchase.  I never really understood the hype behind the game.  If you like it though, more power too you.

+1.  It didn't grab my attention at all.  Good thing it didn't or else I wouldn't have time to work on my backlog before Crackdown comes out.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2006, 06:31:50 PM »

Quote from: Dante Rising on December 30, 2006, 01:49:12 AM

http://www.gamerankings.com/htmlpages2/931114.asp

There are only three reviews up so far, but I would hardly call a 60,70 and 80 promising scores. I was really looking forward to this game, but it looks like I'll stay in a holding pattern until there is a better consensus from the gaming community at large.

Unfortunately, none of those reviews can be read online, so I'm uncertain what is the main Achille's Heel.  :icon_sad:

<edit> ah, the main issues are camera problems, sluggish response times in certain instances, poor dialogue/storyline, very short

If the game is short, I will probably not get it. Very short to me is like 5 hours, if this is a 10 hour shooter I'd say it is perfect. I had it preordered, I loved the single player demo, but since then, better games have come out, and I can wait on a price drop.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2006, 07:56:44 PM »

I can say that the OXM article doesn't even mention that the game is really short, or the length at all.  Because of that and the fact they mention there are 11 bosses to fight, I would guess it is probably standard shooter length (10-15 hours depending on how you play). 

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2006, 10:40:58 PM »

its funny because OXM 360 uk gave it a great review saying it was great an all,then ended up giving it an 8(which is average for me)...their posistive notes were

high impact,arcade gameplay
excellent pacing and learning curve
striking visuals
fun,but shortlived multiplayer

their one negative note were

slightly clunky controls

saying:
'almost every level it succeeds brilliantly,with only the controls failing to quite nail it in the way gears of war did.In short they're not as straightforward and not as decisive enough'

i am still gonna pick up the game...i loved the demo...and cant remember having any problems with the controls,so maybe thats just them
« Last Edit: December 31, 2006, 08:38:05 AM by metallicorphan » Logged

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2006, 11:02:58 PM »

I have it preordered but I am waffling now.  Time will tell.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2006, 12:46:52 AM »

Sopposedly the game is 8-10 hours long.
depward

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2006, 12:49:42 AM »

Quote from: Dante Rising on December 31, 2006, 12:46:52 AM

Well, as long as Capcom fixes the multiplayer interface... and I can actually get into games of 16 people... then I think the multiplayer would be the reason why I would play.

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2006, 01:28:10 AM »

Love both demo's after initially disliking the single-player demo.  Boy that multiplayer demo really sold me.

That said, I can really understand why people wouldn't rate this game very high.  It seems very old-school in the shooter sense, and the buzz I've seen from it gives me the indication that only real purists of that sort of genre are going to enjoy it.

TheMissingLink on PSN
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2006, 03:06:59 AM »

I am amazed that reviewers would call 8 to 10 hours for a shooter/action game short. That seem exceptionally reasonable. Considering how "short" some of the major Action titles of 2006 have been.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2006, 04:37:17 AM »

The single player demo didnt grab me at all and I havent even been able to join and play a match in the MP demo.

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2006, 06:39:37 AM »

After several playthroughs of the single player demo I decided that unless the game got great reviews it would 100% be a rental for me. Just felt utterly mediocre and thought the action was about as standard as it gets.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2006, 09:41:04 AM »

If they'd wanted me to buy the game they should have put in some story into the demo.

Otherwise, despite the visuals it's nothing I haven't seen already in a game.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2006, 05:16:43 PM »

Quote from: Tebunker on December 31, 2006, 03:06:59 AM

I am amazed that reviewers would call 8 to 10 hours for a shooter/action game short. That seem exceptionally reasonable. Considering how "short" some of the major Action titles of 2006 have been.

The 8 - 10 hours thing always brings complaints, but it seems standard for shooters (who usually have MP to add to playtime; when it doesn't, the complaints are much louder [right, Black?]).

Count me among the people who really enjoyed the single player demo.  My only fear is with the imposed time limit.  I like to explore as much as possible, and hate being rushed for the sake of "gameplay" (seems like a bad idea, too, given the "too short" crowd).  As for story, they've released quite a few FMV story scenes on XBL.  They seem interesting enough, in that odd, Japanese way. 

I wasn't expecting Gears of Warquality, anyway.  As long as it's above average, I'll be happy.  And from the summary quotes at MetaCritic, it looks like that's the way it's going.  http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/xbox360/lostplanet  Here:
Official Xbox Magazine
It's straight out of 1989, and that makes it either archaic or retro-cool comfortable. With Capcom's steady attention to polish and presentation, Lost Planet falls into the latter category more often than not. And even if it's familiar, it's definitely not repetitive. [Jan 2007, p.48]
Official Xbox Magazine UK
Playing Lost Planet is like battering "Ghouls and Ghosts" for the first time. You simply won't believe how stunning it looks. But more imortantly, it's one of those games that pits you against incredible odds and satisfies by making it just about possible to beat them! [Jan 2007, p.8]
Edge Magazine
Really, this is a game of strong, simple virtues: knockout action, beautiful character design, lovingly articulated models, crisp sound and overall polish. Every now and then it'll overstretch, at which point it falls. [Jan 2007, p.76]
360 Gamer Magazine UK
It does what it says on the tin, and delivers heart-pounding explosions, pant-wetting big alien monsters and hordes of minions to slay. If you can overlook the fact that it doesn't challenge your Xbox 360 either intellectually or technically, and you can just get down and dirty with some big guns and even bigger odds, then you and Lost Planet are going to get along just fine. [Issue 20, p.50]
GamePro
At the end of the day, playing Lost Planet is like dating a supermodel with personality problems: it's great looking and has the potential for good times, but ultimately, it's just not worth the trouble. [Feb. 2007, p.64]
« Last Edit: December 31, 2006, 05:25:11 PM by Bullwinkle » Logged

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2006, 06:39:26 PM »

What the heck.  I'm in still.  I just enjoyed the SP way too much to not like the whole game. 

I am Xboxalot on Live.
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2006, 08:18:53 PM »

I'm still so in, it's silly.  Probably won't get it on release, though, because I will just have gotten back from Greece and then will be going to Atlanta.  Actually, my whole month of January is booked with travel for work, but I will try to get it one weekend.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2006, 08:32:12 PM »

Still in. 

It is your basic 3rd person shooter.  No one is reinventing the wheel here.  I enjoyed the multiplayer demo quite a bit.  So I will still buy it.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2006, 09:28:17 PM by denoginizer » Logged

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
Interloper

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2006, 08:56:31 PM »

This surge in short (10 hours or less) games disturbs me.  Quality is definitely more important than quantity, but at $60 a pop 10 hours just  doesn't cut it.   I'm becoming a late purchaser of games not due to budget, but simply becuase I refuse to pay full price for such short games.  It's definitely a personal preference, to some $60 for 10 hours may be ok, but I want 20 hours dammit!  Maybe I'll just quit purchasing and rent instead  nod

Mattc0m

Hardcore

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: December 31, 2006, 09:10:11 PM »

Quote from: Interloper on December 31, 2006, 08:56:31 PM

This surge in short (10 hours or less) games disturbs me.  Quality is definitely more important than quantity, but at $60 a pop 10 hours just  doesn't cut it.   I'm becoming a late purchaser of games not due to budget, but simply becuase I refuse to pay full price for such short games.  It's definitely a personal preference, to some $60 for 10 hours may be ok, but I want 20 hours dammit!  Maybe I'll just quit purchasing and rent instead  nod

While I agree, as long as a game is willing to do other things to fill in the gaps for a short campaign (ie: quality multiplayer, co-op, who knows), then I'm cool. I think Lost Planet will have some decent replay value, despite the short campaign (if 10 hours is accurate). While I would like more than 10 hours, it's also a matter of what else they are offering.

For example, Halo was around 12 hours, and yet it had tons of replay in Co-op and MP, same for Halo 2. They're both great games.

It's games that don't offer good alternative modes AND have short gameplay that really suck. I'm looking at you, Fable.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2006, 09:12:00 PM by Mattc0m » Logged

matt "mattc0m" richards
new project: GamesCast TV: eSports Television
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: December 31, 2006, 09:45:40 PM »

I happened to think Fable had plenty of play-time, but then I'm not one to enjoy 60 hour JRPGs or whatever.  On my recent play through of the game I think I was at about 16 hours and hadn't quite finished it up (that was the time according to the game, I'm sure actual playtime was more because of backtracking and missed saves and such).  That seemed about perfect to me, although there were a couple added quests and things to do because of the Lost Chapters stuff.  I suppose if you just ran through the story and didn't do anything else it might seem too short, but half the fun for me is playing around in the world and doing some extra stuff. 

warning

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 31, 2006, 09:47:04 PM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on December 31, 2006, 09:45:40 PM

I happened to think Fable had plenty of play-time, but then I'm not one to enjoy 60 hour JRPGs or whatever.  On my recent play through of the game I think I was at about 16 hours and hadn't quite finished it up (that was the time according to the game, I'm sure actual playtime was more because of backtracking and missed saves and such).  That seemed about perfect to me, although there were a couple added quests and things to do because of the Lost Chapters stuff.  I suppose if you just ran through the story and didn't do anything else it might seem too short, but half the fun for me is playing around in the world and doing some extra stuff. 

Yeah it took me about that long as well.  And I only paid $6 for it so that made it all the sweeter.
Mattc0m

Hardcore

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: January 01, 2007, 01:09:45 AM »

Quote from: warning on December 31, 2006, 09:47:04 PM

Quote from: EngineNo9 on December 31, 2006, 09:45:40 PM

Yeah it took me about that long as well.  And I only paid $6 for it so that made it all the sweeter.

Yeah, I played the original and suppousively Lost Chapter adds a good bit to it. Fable was around 12-14 hours, and that's with exploring all the side quests and off the path areas (which there isn't many of). I'd say Lost Chapters adds around 4-6 hours, basically making it a respectable length. It's original length only took me a few days to beat, and with next to zero replay value that was a disappointment.

I didn't mean to start a debate on it, I'm a really big fan of Fable. I actually ran a fansite (FableSector) for a year on it. It's on my top 5 Xbox games. That being said, for a game with zero replay value the length of the campaign was short. It was a great game, but for someone who bought the original game on day one, it was a bit of a disappointment in the end.

matt "mattc0m" richards
new project: GamesCast TV: eSports Television
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 01, 2007, 09:50:13 PM »

I liked Fable a lot.  Just finished it on the 360 after finally being able to move my save over.  It really bugged me that you had to replay the game from the beginning if you wanted the Lost Chapters experience, though.  I'll never get to play that part.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: