http://gamingtrend.com
September 03, 2014, 07:33:01 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Lost Planet Demo  (Read 493 times)
Soulchilde
Gaming Trend Senior Member

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« on: May 10, 2006, 01:00:21 AM »

Just spent sometime playing the two levels of Lost World.  My initial impresions are 'meh'    

I like some of the gameplay, but at times I felt like I was playing Halo, but in 3rd person.

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2006, 01:10:43 AM »

Interesting... I personally loved the demo.  Not sure I see the Halo parrallel.  I really liked the control and the feel of the weapons.  Think my favorite weapon so far was the super shotgun.  I liked the mini bosses, bad damn is the first true boss really tough.
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2006, 01:24:28 AM »

i think the demo is fantastic...probably enough to sell me on the game as soon as it's available.  the graphics are amazing, and the gameplay is a blast.  i was a little worried about the controls just from watching early footage, but i think it works great in the demo...very easy to control both on foot and inside a mech.  add an interesting story, which is rumored to be there, and i think it could be a great game.  i'll definitely be keeping a close eye on Lost Planet as the release nears Cool

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2006, 02:31:31 AM »

I like it a lot.  The explosions are great.  I couldn't get past the boss of the first level though, and the second part of the second level where the mechs charge you - well they steamrolled me.  I'll give it another go.

The only thing I didn't like that much was the AI.  At least in the Snow Pirates level, they tended to just kind of sit around and wait for my mech to come gatling gun them down.  I mean I don't expect a whole lot but at least when you've got no cover and my mech is bearing down on you with twin gats maybe you should get out of the way?
disarm

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2006, 02:59:30 AM »

Quote from: "kathode"
I like it a lot.  The explosions are great.  I couldn't get past the boss of the first level though, and the second part of the second level where the mechs charge you - well they steamrolled me.  I'll give it another go.

im having the same problems...those mechs take me out in a matter of seconds every time.  i'm determined to make it through both missions though Cool

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2006, 05:32:32 AM »

Quote from: "disarm"
Quote from: "kathode"

im having the same problems...those mechs take me out in a matter of seconds every time.  i'm determined to make it through both missions though Cool

Turn right when you 'zone' into that room. You'll find a mech sitting there that you can board and turn the tides around drastically.

And in the start of that level - did you know that you can use your rifle and snipe the driver of the mech wandering around about halfway through that area? Changes things around pretty drastically.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Interloper

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2006, 08:54:21 AM »

I completed both missions, and it left me feeling very 'meh' also.  The only somewhat good part was the boss battle in the middle of the hive nest, and even that reminded me of metroid.

Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2006, 12:13:20 PM »

I really liked it. It went from a "meh" to a Day 1 purchase for me. Nice job, Capcom.

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
biggercup

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2006, 02:09:49 PM »

I loved it. Graphics are great and control is very easy to get used to.
Kinda remind me of the movie "The Thing".
sclick
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2006, 03:31:26 PM »

I was wondering why it's taking place on a snow planet when all of the "bugs" are basically lifted from Starship Troopers. They seem out-of-place.

Would have been nice if they used an ecology that fit the world--something different.
WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2006, 05:08:06 PM »

I enjoyed the demo, but the conrols felt a little sluggish.  Nice graphics!  Especially when you get in the cave with all those flying bugs.

Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2006, 05:08:19 PM »

I think the premise is an earthlike planet which hit a new ice-age. it would seem that the bugs are an infestation; I just don't understand how they feed since theres nothing to eat.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2006, 05:20:23 PM »

The game looked great, but to me, it played pretty basic.  It also had that sort of old-school game feel with the whole enemies-spawning-from-a-portal-you-destroy thing going on which I thought was a little silly in a game that looked so nice.  

I was sort of shocked at how basic it played.  Then again, I only played part of the first level, so that may change.  I plan on giving it some more playtime today.

TheMissingLink on PSN
Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2006, 05:32:38 PM »

Quote from: "Purge"
I think the premise is an earthlike planet which hit a new ice-age. it would seem that the bugs are an infestation; I just don't understand how they feed since theres nothing to eat.

And since insects are ectothermic.  :wink:
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2006, 06:37:12 PM »

Maybe they aren't carbon based; they could be silicon-based ?

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
shaggydoug
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2006, 06:39:17 PM »

I played part of the 1st before I was killed by the boss insect right after the rocket launcher (or at least what I thought was the boss).  

What is the item counting down in the upper left of the screen?   It goes faster when you are outside I think.  It seemed to me to be related to whatever is keeping you alive in the cold environment.   When you killed a bug, they dropped these glowing globs of something that when you stepped on them, recharged that number.  Maybe that explains how the bugs survie in the cold.

- shaggy

disarm

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2006, 08:41:47 PM »

Quote from: "shaggydoug"
I played part of the 1st before I was killed by the boss insect right after the rocket launcher (or at least what I thought was the boss).

that's not even close to the boss...still have the best parts of that level to go Cool  

Quote from: "shaggydoug"
What is the item counting down in the upper left of the screen?   It goes faster when you are outside I think.  It seemed to me to be related to whatever is keeping you alive in the cold environment.   When you killed a bug, they dropped these glowing globs of something that when you stepped on them, recharged that number.  Maybe that explains how the bugs survie in the cold.

that number is some kind of energy level for your suit...keeps you from freezing to death and helps replenish your health.  if you look at the small writing below that number, you'll see a temperature readout that reflects the temperature around you...being indoors is slightly warmer, so your energy doesn't drain as quickly.  when enemies die, they drop energy that refills the meter and keeps you alive.  if that meter reaches zero, you can't survive in the cold and will freeze to death pretty quickly.  you'll also find a few little stations along the way that you can interact with to refill some of your energy.  in the end, i think the constantly draining energy is just a way of forcing you forward to keep the game fast-paced.  at least that's my impression just from playing the demo...

*Gamertag - disarm78*
DamageInc

Starts with s and ends with litting their throats

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2006, 04:09:34 AM »

I agree, and I was fairly impressed with the demo.

Great graphics, snow effects and flame from explosions looked very real

Sound was stunning

Play Like someone stated earlier, HALO like

Controls were nice and smooth, but I am not sure I like the 90 degree spin action.

The freaks come out at nine and it's twenty to ten
godhugh

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2006, 11:44:12 AM »

I was underwhelmed. The controls felt sluggish to me and the gameplay was very basic. Walk, shoot spawning bugs, shoot portal, wash, rinse, repeat. Maybe once they add a story on to it it will be better, but this is a pass unless some very good reviews come out.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2006, 06:52:57 PM »

Quote from: "TheMissingLink"
The game looked great, but to me, it played pretty basic.  It also had that sort of old-school game feel with the whole enemies-spawning-from-a-portal-you-destroy thing going on which I thought was a little silly in a game that looked so nice.  

I was sort of shocked at how basic it played.  Then again, I only played part of the first level, so that may change.  I plan on giving it some more playtime today.

I agree word for word.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: