http://gamingtrend.com
December 21, 2014, 04:08:11 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 11   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Lost Odyssey - new trailer and impressions  (Read 32357 times)
metallicorphan
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #240 on: February 24, 2008, 09:29:50 AM »

there is new content up on the Asian marketplace(if you still have that Hong Kong account when we all downloaded stuff for Blue Dragon,its on there)

it has two items for free,one is 'the forgotton song'..which i think is a extra dream,you can pick it up after downloading at Virnos tavern in Uhra,and also you get 'Masters Secret Sript(weapon guard 2)

one snag though,these freebies will have to wait a week,its only available for GOLD users(hopefully it can become free by this friday when i pick my copy up)...didnt thid game come out at the beginning of december in Asia?..i dont want to wait that long for this content to be available on our marketplace

EDIT:someone on major nelsons site has posted that this is the stuff you get from the gamestop/EB pre-order,we have the same offer with GAME here in the UK...not sure if it really is the same,hopefully someone can verify that..think i will still download it from the marketplace as i havent pre-ordered the game anyway
« Last Edit: February 24, 2008, 09:35:26 AM by metallicorphan » Logged

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #241 on: February 24, 2008, 10:37:17 AM »

Quote from: metallicorphan on February 24, 2008, 09:29:50 AM

EDIT:someone on major nelsons site has posted that this is the stuff you get from the gamestop/EB pre-order,we have the same offer with GAME here in the UK...not sure if it really is the same,hopefully someone can verify that..think i will still download it from the marketplace as i havent pre-ordered the game anyway

Yes, this is the stuff you got for pre-ordering in the US.  The content is supposed to be available for everyone to  download, but they didn't say when that would be.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #242 on: February 24, 2008, 01:29:04 PM »

Quote from: Purge on February 24, 2008, 02:51:46 AM

If you thought that method was complex, check out FFXI sometime.

Now you're giving me a headache. Stop it. Tongue

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #243 on: February 24, 2008, 01:56:07 PM »

I just watched a 10 minute gameplay video because I wanted to see what ACTUAL gameplay was like instead of always seeing only cutscenes.  In 10 minutes all I saw was 2 minutes of actual control of the character and that was simply pick a spell or attack move, hit enter, and watch.  And what amazed me was that in a battle with this big eagle thing, EVERY attack the guy made (no matter what was selected by the player) seemed to trigger the exact same animation (run up and whack em from upper right to lower left).  Step back, rinse and repeat.

And then I saw the player get to control the movement of the character for a few seconds to walk up this ridge and it lasted about 15 seconds and another cutscene kicked in finishing the walk for him. 

Is that the jest of the game?  Please tell me it is not.  I had the game in my hands to rent it yesterday but the thought of doing ONLY that forced me to put it back. 

I mean, what is the percentage of ACTUAL control of the character vs watching something happen in the game for those who have played awhile and or finished? 

I am Xboxalot on Live.
Xmann

Ironman in training

View Profile
« Reply #244 on: February 24, 2008, 02:32:30 PM »

shew.....just finished disk 1.   got a few comments and questions since this is a rental and i don't have the manual. 

first off, holy smokes this game has the longest cut scenes ever in a game.   this is definitely no game you can sit down and get 15 minutes in.   sometimes between save points and cut scenes are FOREVER.   i've gotten really frustrated a few times when i wanted to quit but had to wait 30 or 45 minutes to finish cut scenes and find a save point.

secondly, do you ever find different equipment, weapons, items?   i'm still carrying around the same stuff since the start.  does that change at all? 

thirdly, what is that rabbit thing i find in a barrel occasionally that asks for healing items and seeds?   whats the purpose of that thing?

Azhag

View Profile
« Reply #245 on: February 24, 2008, 02:44:29 PM »

Yes, the most frustrating part of the game is that there are parts where it goes like 2 hours between save points. Doesn't bother me most of the time (as they give you a save point right before any boss or place you would really die), but it can suck a few times.

Yes, you get new weapons and items throughout the game. For the most part they are just more powerful versions of what you have, but accessories will continue to give you new skills and rings will become better as well.

And the pipots are pretty meaningless, but at certain markers for seeds (# you've provided throughout the game) you get items in return. And you can trade a few lesser items (e.g. healing medicine) for better versions.
Azhag

View Profile
« Reply #246 on: February 24, 2008, 02:46:22 PM »

Mike, as for is that all gameplay is.. no. At times there will be minimal control between cutscenes, at other times it is more traditional RPG making your way through caverns, dungeon, etc.
Natjak
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #247 on: February 24, 2008, 02:59:12 PM »

Anyone know where I can get level 3 bombs such as Flarus etc.?
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #248 on: February 24, 2008, 05:33:55 PM »

Quote from: Xmann on February 24, 2008, 02:32:30 PM

secondly, do you ever find different equipment, weapons, items?   i'm still carrying around the same stuff since the start.  does that change at all?

There are merchants who sell weapons and accessories, and you should get materials to make new rings fairly often.  The first weapon merchant is at the Grand Staff Construction area, but that's as far as I've gotten, so I'm not sure if there are others in disc one.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #249 on: February 24, 2008, 05:37:05 PM »

There were several stores in the big town you were at just before you hit disc 2. 
Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #250 on: February 24, 2008, 05:41:02 PM »

I've seen two different statistics on Lost odyssey, and each put it at slightly over 100,000 in its first week of sales. It looks like the game will easily become the best selling JRPG in the xbox stable in fairly short order.

Incidentally, it is really interesting to see how install base plays into game sales. The PS2 had a US install base of roughly 41.5 million units within 30 days of FFXII's launch. In the first 30 days of its release, FFXII  sold ~985,000 units. That sound amazing, but it is only about 2.4 percent of the PS2 install base in the US at that time. It went on the sell to roughly 4.6% of the install base.  Assuming the Xbox 360 is able to reach sales of 12 million in the US within 30 days of Lost Odyssey's release, the game would only need to sell 288,000 units in the US. Taken another way, Lost Odyssey has already sold 36% of what it needed to get in 30 days to reach the same install base as the RPG titan FFXII on the PS2 in the same timeframe. So if you look at install base, coupled with an expected marketplace audience percentage, Lost Odyssey is actually doing very.

I'm amazed to see some people at Neogaf saying that Lost Odyssey is a bomb because it didn't reach 350,000-400,000 units in sales in its first week, like Devil May Cry 4. If you look at the PS2 as a historical US JRPG audience guideline, there was no chance in hell of that ever happening. It would be a struggle for even Final Fantasy, the flagship of all RPGs, to post those numbers.

Also, its interesting to see how much better Western RPGs perform on the 360 in comparison to JRPGs.  Two Worlds, which received horrendous reviews and practically no marketing whatsoever, still outperformed any JRPG in its initial weeks of sales. It should come as no surprise that in the land of "Hello Kitty", Blue Dragon significantly outsold Lost Odyssey in its initial release. Meanwhile, here in the United States Lost Odyssey passed the first six weeks of Blue Dragon sales in its first week out of the gate.

Mass Effect:
http://vgchartz.com/games/game.php?id=7635

Oblivion:
http://vgchartz.com/games/game.php?id=636

Two Worlds:
http://vgchartz.com/games/game.php?id=7212

Blue Dragon:
http://vgchartz.com/games/game.php?id=2931

Eternal Sonata:
http://vgchartz.com/games/game.php?id=7488

Lost Odyssey:
http://vgchartz.com/games/game.php?id=7637

Enchanted Arms:
http://vgchartz.com/games/game.php?id=644
« Last Edit: February 24, 2008, 05:42:41 PM by Dante Rising » Logged
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #251 on: February 24, 2008, 06:00:55 PM »

Quote from: Dante Rising on February 24, 2008, 05:41:02 PM

I've seen two different statistics on Lost odyssey, and each put it at slightly over 100,000 in its first week of sales. It looks like the game will easily become the best selling JRPG in the xbox stable in fairly short order.

Incidentally, it is really interesting to see how install base plays into game sales. The PS2 had a US install base of roughly 41.5 million units within 30 days of FFXII's launch. In the first 30 days of its release, FFXII  sold ~985,000 units. That sound amazing, but it is only about 2.4 percent of the PS2 install base in the US at that time. It went on the sell to roughly 4.6% of the install base.  Assuming the Xbox 360 is able to reach sales of 12 million in the US within 30 days of Lost Odyssey's release, the game would only need to sell 288,000 units in the US. Taken another way, Lost Odyssey has already sold 36% of what it needed to get in 30 days to reach the same install base as the RPG titan FFXII on the PS2 in the same timeframe. So if you look at install base, coupled with an expected marketplace audience percentage, Lost Odyssey is actually doing very.

I'm amazed to see some people at Neogaf saying that Lost Odyssey is a bomb because it didn't reach 350,000-400,000 units in sales in its first week, like Devil May Cry 4. If you look at the PS2 as a historical US JRPG audience guideline, there was no chance in hell of that ever happening. It would be a struggle for even Final Fantasy, the flagship of all RPGs, to post those numbers.

Also, its interesting to see how much better Western RPGs perform on the 360 in comparison to JRPGs.  Two Worlds, which received horrendous reviews and practically no marketing whatsoever, still outperformed any JRPG in its initial weeks of sales. It should come as no surprise that in the land of "Hello Kitty", Blue Dragon significantly outsold Lost Odyssey in its initial release. Meanwhile, here in the United States Lost Odyssey passed the first six weeks of Blue Dragon sales in its first week out of the gate.

I think install base comparisons are pretty much useless.  GTA series, at 15 million sold apiece, is barely 10% of the PS2 install base. Once you reach a certain level of market penetration beyond the hardcore it doesn't matter.  Halo 3 sold, what, 2.4 million in a month?  If the 360 user base has doubled or tripled by the time Halo 4 hits, would you expect it to sell 5 million or 7.5 million it's first month? 

A better comparison than FFXII would be FFX's launch in the US since the PS2 had only been on the market for approximately the same time as the 360 has at LO's release.  But the FFX comparison wouldn't work in this case because it soft launched in December 2001 (it was officially scheduled for Jan 2002 release but Sqare jumped the gun and released it in mid-December in limited quantities). 

I wouldn't use Vgchartz as a source, especially for numbers before any NPD reporting on a game.  They have a complex system of estimating sales but it basically comes down to "making shit up".  Once they get some NPD numbers then they correct things a bit but for something like BD where I think we only got one month's worth of real numbers, they are just pulling things out their ass.  Back when the entire NPD list got leaked they were much more accurate but that hasn't been the case for a year now. 
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #252 on: February 24, 2008, 06:04:26 PM »

Quote from: mikeg on February 24, 2008, 01:56:07 PM

I just watched a 10 minute gameplay video because I wanted to see what ACTUAL gameplay was like instead of always seeing only cutscenes.  In 10 minutes all I saw was 2 minutes of actual control of the character and that was simply pick a spell or attack move, hit enter, and watch.  And what amazed me was that in a battle with this big eagle thing, EVERY attack the guy made (no matter what was selected by the player) seemed to trigger the exact same animation (run up and whack em from upper right to lower left).  Step back, rinse and repeat.

And then I saw the player get to control the movement of the character for a few seconds to walk up this ridge and it lasted about 15 seconds and another cutscene kicked in finishing the walk for him. 

Is that the jest of the game?  Please tell me it is not.  I had the game in my hands to rent it yesterday but the thought of doing ONLY that forced me to put it back. 

I mean, what is the percentage of ACTUAL control of the character vs watching something happen in the game for those who have played awhile and or finished? 

Never played a turn based JRPG before?  What you describe is exactly how combat works.  As for the gameplay to cutscene ratio, that specific clip you watched is not indicative of what it's like in the game.  That clip was a boss fight and the cinematics that followed.

You need to explore the towns more thoroughly.  There were at least two sets of weapon upgrades that could be purchased on Disc 1 (in the Grand Staff base and in Numara) and there were some more weapons that could be obtained elsewhere. 
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #253 on: February 24, 2008, 06:31:48 PM »

Quote from: Azhag on February 24, 2008, 02:44:29 PM

Yes, the most frustrating part of the game is that there are parts where it goes like 2 hours between save points. Doesn't bother me most of the time (as they give you a save point right before any boss or place you would really die), but it can suck a few times.

Yes, you get new weapons and items throughout the game. For the most part they are just more powerful versions of what you have, but accessories will continue to give you new skills and rings will become better as well.

And the pipots are pretty meaningless, but at certain markers for seeds (# you've provided throughout the game) you get items in return. And you can trade a few lesser items (e.g. healing medicine) for better versions.

The pipots have very good items if you collect most or all of the seeds. Keep collecting them.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #254 on: February 24, 2008, 07:21:58 PM »

Pipots are useful for healing items too- you can get more powerful healing and mana stuff before it's available to buy. 
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #255 on: February 24, 2008, 07:23:36 PM »

Where was this weapon merchant at grand staff? I talked to everyone and no one would sell me anything.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #256 on: February 24, 2008, 07:33:45 PM »

Quote from: jersoc on February 24, 2008, 07:23:36 PM

Where was this weapon merchant at grand staff? I talked to everyone and no one would sell me anything.

It's hidden- you have to sneak by the two guards and go down a ladder near the NW corner of the map. 
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #257 on: February 24, 2008, 08:18:16 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on February 24, 2008, 06:04:26 PM

Never played a turn based JRPG before?  What you describe is exactly how combat works.  As for the gameplay to cutscene ratio, that specific clip you watched is not indicative of what it's like in the game.  That clip was a boss fight and the cinematics that followed. 

Nope, never played a jrpg before.  Now I know why.  I can accept that the Japanese and I have zero in common in gaming.  
« Last Edit: February 24, 2008, 08:20:15 PM by mikeg » Logged

I am Xboxalot on Live.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #258 on: February 24, 2008, 08:46:50 PM »

Quote from: mikeg on February 24, 2008, 08:18:16 PM

Quote from: Kevin Grey on February 24, 2008, 06:04:26 PM

Nope, never played a jrpg before.  Now I know why.  I can accept that the Japanese and I have zero in common in gaming.   

Yeah, I think you'd probably hate LO. 
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #259 on: February 24, 2008, 08:54:41 PM »

I thin k Xmann and I have the same attitude towards buying weapons in RPGs.  Notice he used the word "find."  I'm the same way.  I almost never buy weapons.  I've had too many experiences where I buy a weapon only to stumble on a better one in the next area.  Honestly, in most RPGs gold is pretty useless to me.  I almost always rely on what I find in the wild.  And I rarely use potions (other than healing or mana regen, but usually I rely on spells and resting over the bottles).

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #260 on: February 24, 2008, 09:00:03 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on February 24, 2008, 08:54:41 PM

I thin k Xmann and I have the same attitude towards buying weapons in RPGs.  Notice he used the word "find."  I'm the same way.  I almost never buy weapons.  I've had too many experiences where I buy a weapon only to stumble on a better one in the next area.  Honestly, in most RPGs gold is pretty useless to me.  I almost always rely on what I find in the wild.  And I rarely use potions (other than healing or mana regen, but usually I rely on spells and resting over the bottles).

Healing potions are more important in LO than most RPGs I've played.  Usually I rely on healing spells instead since mana points are renewable but, due to the spell casting time concerns in LO, if you need healing ASAP, then potions are usually way to go since items are usually the first things used in a turn and spells are usually the last. 
Xmann

Ironman in training

View Profile
« Reply #261 on: February 24, 2008, 09:19:17 PM »

ya Bullwinkle you are right about weapons.   guess i'll have to go look again to see where i can find one.

as far as the pipots go....do you just give them what they ask for until they give you an item?  first time i saw one i kept giving and giving and finally stopped because i had no idea what i was doing.

jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #262 on: February 26, 2008, 11:41:31 AM »

Cooke's voice sounded really, really familiar to me. So i did what anyone would do and go check imdb. Turns out, it's the voice of cubert from futurama.
Also I just can't get over how hilarious jansen's lines are

"Oh wow, puberty is weird."  icon_lol
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #263 on: February 26, 2008, 12:37:41 PM »

26 hours in, and just hit disc 3 (both discs so far have been almost exactly 13 hours).   The story has really picked up during the last disc, and I'm very intrigued to see what happens.  They've finally started getting into where the immortals come from, which has been the biggest question I've had.  So far, I love all the characters (Jansen, especially)...except the lead.  Kaim is about as interesting as watching paint dry, and might even have a little less personality.  Still really enjoying the combat system, basic as it is.  Having a few more characters to swap in and out really forces you to think about how you'll develop them in terms of skill-linking and building skills from items.   The main disappointment so far has been the music.  For some reason, it has just rubbed me the wrong way and I don't think it's nearly as strong as Uematsu's work with Final Fantasy.

Speaking of FF, the more I play, the more I'm convinced that if this game said 'Final Fantasy' on the cover, it would sell millions of copies.  The horrid job of marketing and WTF? blunders by MS' marketing department certainly did this game no favors in sales.    frown

Here's a little tip that will be a huge help for those without the strategy guide.  The first time you get to Saman, there will be an item stand manned by a talkative crow.  He sells 'mystery items' for 50G.  Most of the items will be basic stuff (healing & mana potions), but he does carry the best item I've run across so far:  the Awakening Bracelet.  However, the only way to get this bracelet is to keep buying stuff from the crow until it randomly pops up.  Even if you have to buy a hundred random potions before it comes up, it will completely be worth it.  This Awakening Bracelet gives the 'Slot +3' ability to any immortal.  Anyone who has it equipped automatically gets 3 extra skill slots.  And it's a skill that can be mastered, which means every one of your immortal characters just found a way to gain a extra few slots.  I spent nearly 10,000 G before the accessory finally showed up, but it's been worth every penny.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2008, 03:20:24 PM by Gratch » Logged

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #264 on: February 26, 2008, 01:47:51 PM »

I'm really enjoying the music.  Not quite on the level of Uematsu's FF work (or Sakimoto's FFXII work) but still well above average.  I particularly like the Nomura theme, Ming's theme, and some of the boss battle music. 
Xmann

Ironman in training

View Profile
« Reply #265 on: February 26, 2008, 03:04:23 PM »

ya i beat the Sorceress last night and was really impressed.   i for one love the story alot...very emotional.  i'm right at 20 hours with what looks like a couple hours left to disk 2.   i also really like playing with the immortals enhancements....kinda keeps the combat fresh by changing stuff out.

and ya, if this was named Final Fantasy it would be selling like hot cakes.

lastly, is there a way to change out rings during battle?  thought i read somewhere that you could swap them between turns.

wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #266 on: February 26, 2008, 03:06:37 PM »

Quote from: Xmann on February 26, 2008, 03:04:23 PM

lastly, is there a way to change out rings during battle?  thought i read somewhere that you could swap them between turns.

When someone's turn is up in battle, hit left on the controller and you'll see an equip option.  You can change both rings and accessories without using up your turn.
Natjak
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #267 on: February 26, 2008, 03:21:02 PM »

I finished this up last night and I was sad to see it end. LO really had a hold on me, the first JRPG in years to do so. The ending was decent. Took me 46 hours and my chars were level 60 at the end.

Gratch, later on you can find an item that gives you +10 skill slot to each immortal! It's very helpful.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #268 on: February 26, 2008, 04:52:01 PM »

Awesome tip Gratch-I will be all over that. Finally ready to chime in with some impressions. In short, I love it-it is pretty much exactly what I want in an RPG (and I am assuming most of you know that I could be the weirdest, pickiest jRPG player around). To those of you that don't know me well, that means that this in many ways feels a lot like Final Fantasy X-from the music (not as good, but I love it), to the basic structure, to the battle system. I mean-its very FFX. Enter a new, mostly linear area, progress, fight random battles, find a save point, see the occasional cutscene or character interaction, fight a boss, find a big town, etc. And that is a good thing. Innovation is a wonderful, wonderful thing. But old school isn't always bad, especially when old school is arguably the greatest RPG of the last console generation. LO is by far the best FF "clone" (if it's fair to call anything Sakaguchi does in FF a clone) that has yet hit the market-and I agree as Gratch said, that had this been Final Fantasy 13-it would have garnered cautious praise (for perhaps not taking the series far enough away from its roots) and sold well over a million copies domestically. Alas, let's just hope it does well enough to justify us getting a translation of the sequel. I refuse to learn Japanese to play video games.

Anyways, specifics:
- I really like the music, specifically the main sort of "theme song"-it's very touching and just enjoyable to listen to.
- Love the battle system. I think I wish it was a tad more involved-think maybe more elements to the ring? Maybe two parts to it to hit, kind of like Shadow Hearts-or maybe more modifiers, etc to the actual ring? But I like it very much and it makes it a lot less button mashy.
- It's not hard, but its more difficult than normal, and I like it.
- Interesting story so far, really like the characters, though I am not as happy with Jansen as many of you are. Seth is the highlight for me so far. The voice actor for Toltan is god-awful (that whole character is um, just not good).
- Save points are too erratic.
- First boss was hard but went down first try-probably helped that I knew to hit him with flare.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #269 on: February 26, 2008, 05:06:02 PM »

Yeah, I wish they had adopted some of the more clever mechanics of Shadow Hearts' ring system.  Hopefully if there is a sequel they can really expand on that area. 

Quote from: Calvin on February 26, 2008, 04:52:01 PM

LO is by far the best FF "clone" (if it's fair to call anything Sakaguchi does in FF a clone)

I think it's interesting that the FF game LO most resembles is FFX which IIRC Sakaguchi had little to do with since he was too preoccupied trying to sink Square with The Spirits Within.

I wouldn't go as far as to say LO is the best FF clone- at least if you consider Shadow Hearts series a FF clone.  I like LO a lot but so far I still prefer SH: Covenant. 
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #270 on: February 26, 2008, 05:54:24 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on February 26, 2008, 05:06:02 PM

I think it's interesting that the FF game LO most resembles is FFX which IIRC Sakaguchi had little to do with since he was too preoccupied trying to sink Square with The Spirits Within.

icon_lol  How much did that movie lose, anyways?  I heard rumors of around $100 mil, which is staggering.

Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #271 on: February 26, 2008, 06:27:11 PM »

Innovation is a wonderful, wonderful thing. But old school isn't always bad, especially when old school is arguably the greatest RPG of the last console generation.

I agree wholeheartedly, Dragon Quest 8 truly was that wonderful! icon_biggrin

I also agree with everyone else who has stated that if this was titled "Final Fantasy" something or other, it'd be selling like crazy. I've only played about 45 minutes (haven't had time since first firing it up Sunday night), and in that time it struck me as having a very strong FF6 feel overall (magitek era industrial revolution) with a big dash of FF7 thrown in. When the camera panned back over the city and the title appeared, at first I was surprised not to see "Final Fantasy #" show up. icon_wink And that's a good thing.

I hope this game picks up solid word of mouth, and shame on all the Square-Enix sluts they call "reviewers" out there.

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #272 on: February 26, 2008, 06:56:23 PM »

Quote from: Farscry on February 26, 2008, 06:27:11 PM

Innovation is a wonderful, wonderful thing. But old school isn't always bad, especially when old school is arguably the greatest RPG of the last console generation.

I hope this game picks up solid word of mouth, and shame on all the Square-Enix sluts they call "reviewers" out there.

That's not fair, not everyone liked the game. The biggest complaint most reviewers had with LO were the technical shortcomings which I agree with and decided not to finish the game because of.

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #273 on: February 26, 2008, 08:18:59 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on February 26, 2008, 05:54:24 PM

Quote from: Kevin Grey on February 26, 2008, 05:06:02 PM

icon_lol  How much did that movie lose, anyways?  I heard rumors of around $100 mil, which is staggering.

according to wiki,$137 million...it bankcrupted square pictures,but not before the animatrix double episode(if you have seen them,they are pretty cool)

Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #274 on: February 26, 2008, 08:36:11 PM »

Quote from: Ridah on February 26, 2008, 06:56:23 PM

That's not fair, not everyone liked the game. The biggest complaint most reviewers had with LO were the technical shortcomings which I agree with and decided not to finish the game because of.

Unfortunately, the majority of the technical issues had to do with the review copies being unoptimized code.  I think that most of us have had very few - if any - technical issues with the final game.

IMO, Mistwalker would have been far better off to wait a week and send out optimized review copies (even if it did lead to some late reviews) than to send the versions they did and get absolutely destroyed in some reviews because of the technical issues.  Just another gaffe in the marketing for LO.  frown

Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #275 on: February 26, 2008, 08:43:59 PM »

Quote from: Ridah on February 26, 2008, 06:56:23 PM

I'm probably being a little harsh, but honestly, FFX had its share of issues, roughly about the same quantity as LO overall. The animation was jerky with what appeared to be an utter lack of floating-point calculating going on (I'm honestly surprised no one's ever really commented on how very not-smooth the animation in FFX's graphics engine during cutscenes could be). The voice acting ranged from quality to atrocious, with some of the most painful voice-acted moments I've ever heard in a game (the laughing scene wins my personal Razzie as "worst story scene in a video game -- ever"). Loading times weren't quite as bad in FFX as in LO though. The writing in LO seems to be on-par (and at times, better), the story overall sounds like it's actually more poignant and mature in its subject matter and treatment (and I don't mean God of War "mature").

Everything I've read about LO and what little I've played so far, seems to me it's roughly on par with FFX for overall quality given pro's and con's. And that's what my comment was directed at. FFX has a 92 on Metacritic, LO a 77. Hell, Final Fantasy X-2, which was strong in some areas (the class system, wide variety of quests/activities) and poor in others (questionable changes to characters, sharp contrast in theme & atmosphere compared to FFX, poorly balanced difficulty & progression if one followed the story rather than grinding through optional material early on) is running an 85. The only big difference here is that Lost Odyssey doesn't have the name brand on it. It's like saying that store brand milk is lesser quality than name-brand milk, when they both come from the same dairy.

I'm a total Final Fantasy slut myself. I'll try every game S-E slaps the name on, because most of them rock. But I'm not going to knock a game that's just as strong of a jrpg but doesn't happen to have the Final Fantasy lineage and fan-service attached to it. And I think that a lot of reviewers are being overly harsh on LO's shortcomings because it doesn't have Final Fantasy in the title or Square-Enix on the label.

wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #276 on: February 26, 2008, 08:53:06 PM »

The other thing about the atrocious load times on the reviewer versions of the game is that they taint every other aspect of the gameplay.  If a reviewer hits repeated minute-long load times, it's not just going to cause him to write a "bad load times" bullet point in the review, it's going to make the whole game less fun to play and bring down the entire experience, magnifying all the flaws and masking the highlights.
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #277 on: February 26, 2008, 08:54:22 PM »

here in the UK,HMV have announced that they are giving away 1000 ms points with pre-orders of lost odyssey...dont you just love it when shops announce this...3 DAYS BEFORE F***IN' RELEASE DAY!!!!

@farscry-yes the laughing scene in FFX,was terrible,corny and very embarrasing,i had to look away....i have heard a few people say about ffx being like LO,(or the other way round)still,with FFX being on one disc and LO on 4,...is it just the graphics that are better?.from trailers i have seen they look great,but not megatastic gears type great

Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #278 on: February 26, 2008, 08:55:56 PM »

I think Lost Odyssey is on four discs most likely due to sloppy data compression. icon_wink That's just a guess, though. Several hours of 720p video can't be a small footprint on the data though!

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #279 on: February 26, 2008, 08:58:12 PM »

Eh, I don't think LO measures up to the FF games in the production values department.  Not that LO isn't really nice, but IMO very few can top Square's production values on a FF game (not surprising given the huge amount of money they pore into them).  FFX stands up wonderfully for a game put out just over a year into the PS2's life.  Yeah the voice acting wasn't the best but it was fine for the time, especially since it was the series' first foray into voice acting.  On the other hand, FFXII is pretty much top of the class all around for production values, rivaling most next-gen products (including LO). 

While I think LO is underrated by critics, I don't think it would have necessarilly fared better if it had the Final Fantasy name attached because I think it would have raised expectations even further.  As nice as LO looks, I'll be very disappointed if FF13 isn't a far more technically accomplished product. 

LO can be kind of schizophrenic in the looks department.  It's never less than attractive but some areas in the second half of the first disc looked a lot like PS2 game being output in 720p.  Other areas look as good as any next-gen product.  I think Feel Plus is on the record about having some major problems with Unreal Engine 3.0 and regretting the decision to use the engine.   

The loading times don't bug me much though- while my personal preference is for faster paced combat systems, LO is designed around longer combat encounters- the random encounter rate is probably the lowest I've ever seen in a JRPG and the area level cap limits the need for most grinding.  So even if the average combat encounter can take several minutes, that time is well earned and makes an appreciable difference on your party's stats. 
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 11   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: