http://gamingtrend.com
July 31, 2014, 08:22:19 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 11   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Lost Odyssey - new trailer and impressions  (Read 31957 times)
EddieA
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #200 on: February 21, 2008, 07:26:09 PM »

I don't get why they don't just implement save-anywhere, like Enchanted Arms.  Developers (of both RPGs and other genres) seem to have some sort of brain malfunction when it comes to placing save points.  I've played many games where they just seem to be placed randomly, where you get two in the space of 10 minutes, and then nothing for forty-five minutes.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #201 on: February 21, 2008, 07:36:05 PM »

Another nitpick- I wish they hadn't changed up the standard elemental relationships.  I'm sure it's the manual (which I haven't touched) and I missed the NPC at the Great Gate who explains them.  Consequently I was past the first boss when I realized that I should have been using fire on enemies who were wind elementals

Great game so far though. 
« Last Edit: February 21, 2008, 08:16:37 PM by Kevin Grey » Logged
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #202 on: February 21, 2008, 07:55:35 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on February 21, 2008, 07:36:05 PM

Another nitpick- I wish they hadn't changed up the standard elemental relationships.  I'm sure it's the manual (which I haven't touched) and I missed the NPC at the Great Gate who explains them.  Consequently I was past the first boss when I realized that I should have been using fire on enemies who were weak to wind

I was wondering when you were going to start smile I finally cleared much of my backlog and will be starting today.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #203 on: February 21, 2008, 08:02:50 PM »

Another nitpick- I wish they hadn't changed up the standard elemental relationships.  I'm sure it's the manual (which I haven't touched) and I missed the NPC at the Great Gate who explains them.  Consequently I was past the first boss when I realized that I should have been using fire on enemies who were weak to wind

Yeah that threw me off a bit as well.  Aside from the fire beats air thing, my inner RPG rulebook was rebelling at using air attacks instead of fire to attack the plant creatures (ground type).
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #204 on: February 21, 2008, 08:34:40 PM »

Another nitpick- I wish they hadn't changed up the standard elemental relationships.  I'm sure it's the manual (which I haven't touched) and I missed the NPC at the Great Gate who explains them.  Consequently I was past the first boss when I realized that I should have been using fire on enemies who were wind elementals

Ha, yeah I had to break out the old manual for that too when I got to the boss!  The manual has a handy little diagram smile
hornysax
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #205 on: February 21, 2008, 09:15:19 PM »

It took me a while to remember the elements also.  Wind erodes Earth, Earth absorbs water, Water extinguishes Fire, Fire burns by consuming Wind.  Water > Fire is the only one that's intuitive to me.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #206 on: February 21, 2008, 09:18:10 PM »

Quote from: hornysax on February 21, 2008, 09:15:19 PM

It took me a while to remember the elements also.  Wind erodes Earth, Earth absorbs water, Water extinguishes Fire, Fire burns by consuming Wind.  Water > Fire is the only one that's intuitive to me.

What's funny is that I got so turned around by it that I missed the only obvious association (water > fire) during the second boss battle and kept using ground where I should have been using aqua (still worked out fine, just took longer).  I should have noticed I wasn't getting the "Damaged Increased" or whatever they say messages smile
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #207 on: February 21, 2008, 10:04:17 PM »

Wow, that doesn't make much sense in the slightest. What was their reasoning to change that all around?

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Pharaoh

View Profile
« Reply #208 on: February 21, 2008, 10:53:23 PM »

I really gotta give this credit, for while alot of pieces fit the norm of your typical JRPG, its the first game Ive played where my wife ever got interested by watching me play, solely because of the great voice acting, and the thunderingly hard hitting character relationships.

Bosses, "looking at the first 3", were pretty hard, but now things are calming down. I love the fact you pretty much level up to max per zone in about 8 fights and the rest is pure gravy if you want to level skills or not. While the element counters you guys mentioned were pretty weird, that Fifth element esqe inspired thing in the manual was nice to have to learn what counters what.

Overall, its a really good game. While alot of people didn't like Blue Dragon, I appretiated where it was coming from, as well as this game, which I would call more of a success for Mistwalker. I haven't dented much of Disk 3 yet, but if the story goes along the path I think, Im hoping there can be sequels looking at the lives of different immortals.

Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #209 on: February 21, 2008, 11:41:16 PM »

I've put a few hours into the game and I'm enjoying it so far. The graphics go back and forth between impressive to ugly, the city of Uhra simply does not look good. The voice acting and the dialogue are excellent so far, Kaim's outfit looks a bit flamboyantly gay (why is HE wearing dangling earings but not the chick?) but otherwise I'm liking the characters. As far as framerate and loading, I have no issues with the load times but often times during cutscenes the framerate seems to be in the low 20s.

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #210 on: February 22, 2008, 03:10:12 AM »

Quote from: Ridah on February 21, 2008, 11:41:16 PM

I've put a few hours into the game and I'm enjoying it so far. The graphics go back and forth between impressive to ugly, the city of Uhra simply does not look good. The voice acting and the dialogue are excellent so far, Kaim's outfit looks a bit flamboyantly gay (why is HE wearing dangling earings but not the chick?) but otherwise I'm liking the characters. As far as framerate and loading, I have no issues with the load times but often times during cutscenes the framerate seems to be in the low 20s.

Do you have Kaim equipped with an earring accessory?    Accessories show up on the character for things like earrings, and oddly animal ears.
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #211 on: February 22, 2008, 06:21:30 AM »

Quote from: Arkon on February 22, 2008, 03:10:12 AM

Quote from: Ridah on February 21, 2008, 11:41:16 PM

Do you have Kaim equipped with an earring accessory?    Accessories show up on the character for things like earrings, and oddly animal ears.

Ah, yeah I do. That's pretty cool then =)

Sean Lama
Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #212 on: February 22, 2008, 07:02:35 AM »

I'm glad to see the game hasn't totally bombed. It sold 103,000 in its first week. I'm sure that number will drop significantly by next week, but it is doing much better than Blue Dragon out of the gate.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #213 on: February 22, 2008, 07:50:41 AM »

I'd definitely like to see this sell well.  I suspect word of mouth could carry the game for a while, so long as it's not entirely bad, people know that they get their money's worth buying big RPGs like this.  I'm tempted to get this game now from this word of mouth when before I was going to write it off, I just don't want the kind of bad acting from Enchant Arm.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #214 on: February 22, 2008, 01:40:22 PM »

Quote from: Dante Rising on February 22, 2008, 07:02:35 AM

I'm glad to see the game hasn't totally bombed. It sold 103,000 in its first week. I'm sure that number will drop significantly by next week, but it is doing much better than Blue Dragon out of the gate.

Where did you see that at?

I don't know if if demand is just so high or if MS undershipped, but it's sold out at quite a few places around here.  I think LO could end up doing relatively well.  Since it's single player focused, I think there is a decent chance that it could have a bit more staying power than most 360 games exhibit. 

Quote from: Turtle on February 22, 2008, 07:50:41 AM

I'd definitely like to see this sell well.  I suspect word of mouth could carry the game for a while, so long as it's not entirely bad, people know that they get their money's worth buying big RPGs like this.  I'm tempted to get this game now from this word of mouth when before I was going to write it off, I just don't want the kind of bad acting from Enchant Arm.

The voice acting is generally fine.  Not the best in genre, but not excruciating either.  But if you're that concerned, the game has a ton of other language options (including Japanese, German, and French) that may be more palatable to you. 
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #215 on: February 22, 2008, 02:15:09 PM »

I'm not sure if this has been asked or stated, but about how many gameplay hours do you guys expect to get out of a single play-through?

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #216 on: February 22, 2008, 02:21:13 PM »

Quote from: Lockdown on February 22, 2008, 02:15:09 PM

I'm not sure if this has been asked or stated, but about how many gameplay hours do you guys expect to get out of a single play-through?

I've heard anywhere from 40-70 hours. 
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #217 on: February 22, 2008, 02:21:58 PM »

Quote from: Lockdown on February 22, 2008, 02:15:09 PM

If the discs are consistent, I am at about 12 hours having just finished disc 1.  From my understanding the game starts to open up more and allows more side quests and exploration so that time could grow considerably per disc.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #218 on: February 22, 2008, 04:18:42 PM »

Quote from: Destructor on February 21, 2008, 10:04:17 PM

Wow, that doesn't make much sense in the slightest. What was their reasoning to change that all around?

It's consistent with the type of interaction with the Chinese zodiac.

No, I'm not kidding.

Quote from: Wikipedia
Element cycles

Interactions of Five Chinese Elements - Cycles of Balance and Cycles of Imbalance
The doctrine of five phases describes two Cycles of Balance, a generating or creation (生, shēng) cycle and an overcoming or destruction (克, kè) cycle of interactions between the phases.

Generating:

Wood feeds Fire;
Fire creates Earth (ash);
Earth bears Metal;
Metal collects Water
Water nourishes Wood.

Overcoming:

wood parts earth;
earth absorbs water;
water quenches fire;
fire melts metal
metal chops wood

I'm a fire dragon. biggrin

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
JuniorDan

View Profile
« Reply #219 on: February 22, 2008, 04:35:50 PM »

Is

Quote from: Purge on February 22, 2008, 04:18:42 PM

No, I'm not kidding.

Quote from: Wikipedia
Element cycles

Interactions of Five Chinese Elements - Cycles of Balance and Cycles of Imbalance
The doctrine of five phases describes two Cycles of Balance, a generating or creation (生, shēng) cycle and an overcoming or destruction (克, kè) cycle of interactions between the phases.

Generating:

Wood feeds Fire;
Fire creates Earth (ash);
Earth bears Metal;
Metal collects Water
Water nourishes Wood.

Overcoming:

wood parts earth;
earth absorbs water;
water quenches fire;
fire melts metal
metal chops wood

I'm a fire dragon. biggrin

Is that the Chinese version of rock, paper, scissors? 

360 GAMERTAG:Juniordan       ‹(•¿•)›  ‹(•¿•)›  ‹(•¿•)›
Wii: 2834 4528 4246 3222 ‹(•¿•)›  ‹(•¿•)›  ‹(•¿•)›
PS3 Spinks
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #220 on: February 22, 2008, 07:16:38 PM »

Hopefully LO can find good lifetime sales to carry it this year, I would love for a JRPG to succeed on the 360 so we could see some sequels.

One little comment though, as this has me a little confused: Do the graphics seem sort of... PC-ish somehow? I can't put my finger on it but sometimes I feel like the textures are really washed out and the edges are a bit jagged. Could it be a product of the bloom effect the game uses?
« Last Edit: February 22, 2008, 07:18:32 PM by Ridah » Logged

Sean Lama
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #221 on: February 22, 2008, 07:40:05 PM »

Quote from: Ridah on February 22, 2008, 07:16:38 PM

One little comment though, as this has me a little confused: Do the graphics seem sort of... PC-ish somehow? I can't put my finger on it but sometimes I feel like the textures are really washed out and the edges are a bit jagged. Could it be a product of the bloom effect the game uses?

Some areas do feel a little PS2-ish to me (ie look like a high-res PS2 title) although still attractive (the city of Numara in particular).  Other areas look pretty phenomenal. 
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #222 on: February 22, 2008, 07:43:09 PM »

Well I'll be damned. You're right. That's actually kinda nifty.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #223 on: February 22, 2008, 07:46:30 PM »

I'm picking this up today and plopping my money down on a copy of patapon.  Think patapon will become one of thos rare title like Persona 3 and Disgaea

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #224 on: February 22, 2008, 10:01:42 PM »

Arrgg! Only 4 hours into the game and I'm screwed.

Spoiler for Hiden:
I can't defeat the boss at the grand staff, I can take down the first worm but once the second one comes out it's over, he para-flares every single turn!

Sean Lama
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #225 on: February 22, 2008, 10:04:50 PM »

Ridah,

Spoiler for Hiden:
  Get anti-paralysis for at least two of your party members (learned from Yellow Band).  Have Seth and Kaim soften up the bugs one turn and then finish them off by having Jensen trigger Prism on the next turn.  Once you've taken out the initial wave of bugs, it should be quite manageable taking down the ones that respawn and still be able to womp on the main baddie (use aqua for more damage).
faide
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #226 on: February 22, 2008, 10:18:18 PM »

Ridah, you can also try this
Spoiler for Hiden:
For that fight I ignored all the little bugs and had everyone in the party cast Aqua on the big worms.  Aqua does a ton of damage to them and will take them out fast.

Either way, that boss was one of the toughest so far.

Azhag

View Profile
« Reply #227 on: February 22, 2008, 10:34:28 PM »

I think I beat him in my second try... with no extra leveling  Tongue
Xmann

Ironman in training

View Profile
« Reply #228 on: February 22, 2008, 11:09:23 PM »

holy cut scenes Bat Man!! 

Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #229 on: February 23, 2008, 12:33:04 AM »

Quote from: Soulchilde
I'm picking this up today and plopping my money down on a copy of patapon.  Think patapon will become one of thos rare title like Persona 3 and Disgaea

I put down a prepurchase on Patapon for exactly the same reason.

-Autistic Angel
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #230 on: February 23, 2008, 09:43:45 PM »

So far after about 8 hours into the game I've decided I don't like it, I honestly had much more fun with Blue Dragon.

- The graphics are ass ugly, this is the ugliest $60 game I've played on the 360. It looks like a three year old PC game - the textures are low-res and washed out, jaggies everywhere, and a barely adequate framerate to top it off.

- The story thus far is boring, the cutscenes are uninteresting and not well put together. The main character, Kaim, is about as interesting as a doornail.

- The load times aren't long, per say, but the game is littered with 4-5 second loads that are already annoying me.

- The thousand year dreams are interesting reads... But that's all they are. Reads! When I'm playing this game late at night the last thing I want to do is read 10-15 minutes of text. I know they are optional, but I would have preferred flashback cutscenes.

Other than those complaints I do enjoy some aspects of the game. I think the enemy designs are pretty good, also they did a really good job localizing Jansen who seems ripped straight out of a sitcom (he reminds me of Chandler from Friends). However, label me a graphics whore, I can't stand how the game looks and performs and I'm not gonna stomach it for 40 more hours. You can find my copy up for trade if anyone is still interested.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2008, 09:45:18 PM by Ridah » Logged

Sean Lama
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #231 on: February 23, 2008, 10:33:52 PM »

Quote from: Ridah on February 23, 2008, 09:43:45 PM

- The graphics are ass ugly, this is the ugliest $60 game I've played on the 360. It looks like a three year old PC game - the textures are low-res and washed out, jaggies everywhere, and a barely adequate framerate to top it off.

Between this and your gripes about Mass Effect's graphics, I've decided that you're apparently playing different games than the rest of us.  slywink

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #232 on: February 23, 2008, 10:57:50 PM »

Quote from: Gratch on February 23, 2008, 10:33:52 PM

Between this and your gripes about Mass Effect's graphics, I've decided that you're apparently playing different games than the rest of us.  slywink

I'ven ever called ME ugly though, sure I griped about the occasional slowdown and stuttering, and some of the environments felt barren, oh and the armor suits looked really goofy, but other than that I thought it looked good. Heck, I played the game all the way through!  icon_cool

Sean Lama
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #233 on: February 23, 2008, 11:28:15 PM »

Quote from: Dante Rising on February 22, 2008, 07:02:35 AM

the game isnt out in Europe yet,this coming friday,i for one will at least be adding an extra copy to the sales

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
Glycerine

View Profile
« Reply #234 on: February 24, 2008, 01:21:57 AM »

So far after about 8 hours into the game I've decided I don't like it, I honestly had much more fun with Blue Dragon.

We must have vastly different tastes, because I feel exactly the opposite as you regarding both games.  15 minutes of Blue Dragon was enough for me to decide it sucked horribly.  The frame rate was terrible, the characters idiotic, the music head-ache inducing, and the plot even more cliche' than Lost Odyssey's.

The 7 hours I've spent with LO, on the other hand, I have thoroughly enjoyed.  The frame rate does hitch from time to time, but it's so rare I hardly notice.  The music is generally very good, but i really haven't paid a whole lot of attention.  Voice acting ranges from very good to mediocre, the story is cliche' but it doesn't bother me and has kept me interested.  The voice acting for the main characters is pretty good, so that helps me have a greater interest in them.  The Thousand Year Dreams are really well written, I'm just hoping you find out more about them later in the game.  At 1080P the graphics are crisp and the textures look very good.

Oh well, opinions obviously vary.  smile

glyc

Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #235 on: February 24, 2008, 01:39:58 AM »

20 hours in, and I'm really wishing I'd saved a few of those slot seeds.  frown

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #236 on: February 24, 2008, 02:36:29 AM »

Oh yeah I forgot to praise the music, I loved every second of it.

Sean Lama
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

Thirty. Minutes.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #237 on: February 24, 2008, 02:51:46 AM »

Quote from: Destructor on February 22, 2008, 07:43:09 PM

Well I'll be damned. You're right. That's actually kinda nifty.

You sound shocked. slywink They obviously replaced metal with wind, but otherwise it's a carbon copy.

If you thought that method was complex, check out FFXI sometime.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
jersoc

View Profile
« Reply #238 on: February 24, 2008, 03:52:31 AM »

I picked this up today. So far the dialog of jensen is hilarious.  icon_lol icon_lol
hornysax
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #239 on: February 24, 2008, 06:33:37 AM »

I have heard from inside sources that Microsoft is highly invested in Mistwalker.  It's their only defense against Sony and SquareEnix.

I have thought about whether I'd like to see a sequel with Kaim, but I think it would be more beneficial for Mistwalker to make a sequel with a COMPLETELY different story and characters.  Like Final Fantasy!  This genre of game is so story-driven that trying to build a sequel off this plot, which Lost Odyssey has pretty much exhausted, might hurt this franchise.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 11   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: