http://gamingtrend.com
August 21, 2014, 06:09:58 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Lost Odyssey - new trailer and impressions  (Read 31982 times)
Azhag
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #160 on: February 18, 2008, 01:35:56 PM »

NM, got it. I swear I'd tried the thing like 3 times and it wouldn't let me.... but it appears I may just be a failure.
JuniorDan

View Profile
« Reply #161 on: February 18, 2008, 02:45:41 PM »

Quote from: Xmann on February 17, 2008, 09:05:42 PM

so if i miss a dream (say from Uhra when i was there), can i go back and get them later?

and ya i don't like how you can't see the turn order while determining your attacks, skills, spells.   hope that won't be a major issue later on.

It is already playing a major issue for me. it seems like you just needs to know the order before hand... How? I have not figured it out yet

360 GAMERTAG:Juniordan       ‹(•¿•)›  ‹(•¿•)›  ‹(•¿•)›
Wii: 2834 4528 4246 3222 ‹(•¿•)›  ‹(•¿•)›  ‹(•¿•)›
PS3 Spinks
Xmann

Ironman in training

View Profile
« Reply #162 on: February 18, 2008, 03:30:54 PM »

i'm at about 5 hours in and finally made it to the Gate station place.   so far i'm really liking it alot.   i bet the difficulty really ranks up later.   so far it hasn't been difficult, but i'm having to heal and use med items quite frequently.   i suspect it'll be brutal later on in battles.

couple things i have no idea about are creating new rings.   i have a bruiser and beast ring along with a fire ring.   i have no idea what the values are by them and how to upgrade them.   i find all these pieces, but i have no clue what the values are by each ring you can create.   i suspect this will really be important later on, so i'd like to figure it out.

anyone got an idea how they work?

JuniorDan

View Profile
« Reply #163 on: February 18, 2008, 09:34:35 PM »

Quote from: Xmann on February 18, 2008, 03:30:54 PM

i'm at about 5 hours in and finally made it to the Gate station place.   so far i'm really liking it alot.   i bet the difficulty really ranks up later.   so far it hasn't been difficult, but i'm having to heal and use med items quite frequently.   i suspect it'll be brutal later on in battles.

couple things i have no idea about are creating new rings.   i have a bruiser and beast ring along with a fire ring.   i have no idea what the values are by them and how to upgrade them.   i find all these pieces, but i have no clue what the values are by each ring you can create.   i suspect this will really be important later on, so i'd like to figure it out.

anyone got an idea how they work?

I am still learning the rings and their importance, but seeing how you are where you are right now. You would want to learn those ring quickly...Its about to get difficult.
Thanks to Gratch and his guide I was able to get through that section... I will need to invest in the guide myself to learn the ins and outs of this game.

PS3 Spinks
Azhag

View Profile
« Reply #164 on: February 19, 2008, 12:46:53 AM »

I'm on the third disc, and I'd note that while rings are useful they really aren't as important as skills... don't fret too much about the rings.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #165 on: February 19, 2008, 03:05:23 AM »

So, how long is each disk?  I'm nearly 13 hours in, and still on disc 1 (working through the Crimson Forest).  Certainly still enjoying it, but man is it a challenge.  You've really got to pay close attention or your party can get wiped in no time flat.   I wish they would have gotten rid of the silly gameplay sequences; namely the stealth bits and the "collect 10 X, now collect 10 Y" bits.  They're not overly long, but are just enough to be annoying.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Natjak
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #166 on: February 19, 2008, 04:20:49 AM »

I think each disc is supposed to be around 10-12 hours. Having said that I am on disc 3 and my game clock is at 16:45. I tend to play RPGs a little quick, when I had got to the end of FFVII I was only at 36 hours. No knights of the round for me  icon_biggrin
Azhag

View Profile
« Reply #167 on: February 19, 2008, 04:25:18 AM »

I was a little over 20 hours (plus having to redo a few battles and such) when I finished disc 2. I do a moderate amount of searching for stuff but not trying to get everything.

That said, I'll likely replay this one someday, which is not something I thought after finishing Blue Dragon, Eternal Sonata, etc.
KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #168 on: February 19, 2008, 08:34:19 AM »

received it in the mail today, just played a couple hours...this game is way better than Blue Dragon.  really digging it so far, I can understand people's positive comments now
Goonch
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #169 on: February 19, 2008, 01:13:15 PM »

I am a little confused about the story  saywhat.

POSSIBLE SPOILERS!!!

I am about 2 hours in. When was Kaim turned into an immortal? Was is recently, or 100s of years ago?

As per the game story & dialogue, wasn't it Gongora that made him immortal?

« Last Edit: February 19, 2008, 02:55:06 PM by Goonch » Logged
Natjak
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #170 on: February 19, 2008, 01:16:16 PM »

I think Kaim has always been immortal. Gongora just erased his memory. Where I am at Kaim's immortality is somewhat explained.
Goonch
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #171 on: February 19, 2008, 01:36:25 PM »

Quote from: Natjak on February 19, 2008, 01:16:16 PM

I think Kaim has always been immortal. Gongora just erased his memory. Where I am at Kaim's immortality is somewhat explained.

Thanks!

That is exactly why I am confused. I was thinking that if Gongora made Kaim immortal many years ago, then Gongora himself must be immortal to have been able to live this long.

« Last Edit: February 19, 2008, 02:55:33 PM by Goonch » Logged
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #172 on: February 19, 2008, 02:31:22 PM »

Quote from: Goonch on February 19, 2008, 01:36:25 PM

Quote from: Natjak on February 19, 2008, 01:16:16 PM

Thanks!

That is exactly why I am confused. I was thinking that if Gongora made Kiam immortal many years ago, then Gongora himself must be immortal to have been able to live this long.

Spoiler for Hiden:
During the daughter's funeral, didn't Kaim mention something about there being other immortals:  himself, Seth, Ming, Gongora, and  Sarah (his daughter's mother)?  I thought I remembered that, but maybe I misunderstood.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #173 on: February 19, 2008, 02:37:41 PM »

Played about an hour last night and it strikes me that the load times would be even less noticeable if the devs removed the little "Loading" message.  It just calls attention to itself.  I would prefer just a plain black screen since the loads really aren't long at all. 
Xmann

Ironman in training

View Profile
« Reply #174 on: February 19, 2008, 02:44:30 PM »

sigh....i've already reached a point where i quit every single rpg i try.......boss battles.   i really really like this game alot, but i'm already at a point where i'm frustrated to the point of quitting.

spoilers below!!!!!

i'm at the first boss and he just whips my butt.   i can beat him once, but not even close the 2nd time.   i equip the yellow band and i use my anti-paralyze items, but they hammer my health so low all i can do is use turns on healing and never use damage spells.   i have no clue as to how and beat him the second time.

Natjak
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #175 on: February 19, 2008, 03:04:35 PM »

Yep Gratch you are right about your spoilers.
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #176 on: February 20, 2008, 04:07:34 PM »

I read enough good impressions to give my backlog the finger and buy this last night.

I've only just past the first real boss, but I'm really loving it so far.  It's like Final Fantasy XIII: Prologue.

I like the combat model a lot.  It's old school Final Fantasy turn-based, but I think the new guard system does an excellent job of giving meaning and strategy to the front row / back row differentiation, and the AI so far seems to intelligently work with the system.

Perhaps I'm just not far enough into the game for the flaws to show themselves, but right now it really feels like the game is very underrated.
kathode

View Profile
« Reply #177 on: February 20, 2008, 07:07:16 PM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on February 19, 2008, 02:37:41 PM

Played about an hour last night and it strikes me that the load times would be even less noticeable if the devs removed the little "Loading" message.  It just calls attention to itself.  I would prefer just a plain black screen since the loads really aren't long at all. 

Not allowed unfortunately.  You might be right in this case, but ultimately it's a good rule.  The player should never be sitting there wondering if their game has crashed or not.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #178 on: February 20, 2008, 07:29:26 PM »

Quote from: kathode on February 20, 2008, 07:07:16 PM

Quote from: Kevin Grey on February 19, 2008, 02:37:41 PM

Not allowed unfortunately.  You might be right in this case, but ultimately it's a good rule.  The player should never be sitting there wondering if their game has crashed or not.

Really?  I was wondering if it was some kind of standars/practices issue.  While I agree that if your loads are long enough to cause lock-up/crash fears then a loading screen is required, thus far (5 hours), the loads in LO wouldn't seem to qualify. 
Interloper

View Profile
« Reply #179 on: February 20, 2008, 09:44:25 PM »

Made it disc two today.  Still love this game.  Question about the Crimson Forest for those who've completed it:

Spoiler for :
In the underground part, the Sorcerer Shrine I think it is? .. There is a round rock and two paths blocked by debris.  I'm thinking I need to roll that ball into the debris to clear it, rigth?  Thing is I cannot get the round rock past the room with the 'elevator' in it.  It just gets stuck by the mushrooms, no matter what I try.  Im bout ready to pull my hair out trying to figure out the round rock!

gangeli
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #180 on: February 20, 2008, 09:50:25 PM »

round rock:
Spoiler for Hiden:
Unless i missed something, the only purpose of that round rock was for me to push it onto the elevator, so it goes up, and the other side comes down, and there was something i picked up on the descending platform.  I don't remember having to do anything special to leave that area either.
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #181 on: February 20, 2008, 09:59:10 PM »

Well, I'm gonna put faith in my fellow GTers over that of the media (I generally do anyways) and trust the game is actually of high quality. Heading to the game store to buy it now...

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #182 on: February 20, 2008, 10:50:58 PM »

I would definitely suggest this title to anyone who loves JRPGs, and especially the later versions of Final Fantasy. It deserves a better rating than the 77% average seen over at Game Rankings. As someone else already noted, if you replaced the words "Lost" and "Odyssey" with "Final" and Fantasy" the game would probably be scoring about 10 points higher.

Microsoft really dropped the ball on marketing this title and by sending out some unoptimized review discs. This is the first MS JRPG that really deserves sales of over a million copies. It does have some warts, but a tweaked Lost Odyssey 2 (which we will now probably never see) would have most likely been spectacular.
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #183 on: February 20, 2008, 11:11:13 PM »

I've read enough now to determine that I would like to purchase this one. I have enough credit and some time to set aside, so I may be jumping on this soon enough, I like the idea of the dream sequences.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #184 on: February 20, 2008, 11:20:09 PM »

Okay, as a person who has only played one rpg in my life-Mass Effect, answer me something.  I understand that FF games are big for what they call 'grinding' or building up your character with mindless side quests that have absolutely nothing to do with the main story.  Does this game have alot of that, dare I say it, crap?  And if so, can you get through the game and skip all that? 

I might like it if I don't have to roam around endlessly with little to no direction and don't have to do unrelated side quests.  I might even be able to endure the turn-based combat for a great story and interesting characters.  That stuff, more than anything, is what I am looking for in most games.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
Interloper

View Profile
« Reply #185 on: February 20, 2008, 11:20:17 PM »

Quote from: gangeli on February 20, 2008, 09:50:25 PM

round rock:
Spoiler for Hiden:
Unless i missed something, the only purpose of that round rock was for me to push it onto the elevator, so it goes up, and the other side comes down, and there was something i picked up on the descending platform.  I don't remember having to do anything special to leave that area either.

Doh.  Never even occurred to me for some reason.  Thanks!

Edit for mikeg:  So far I've had to grind very little.  In 16 hours of gameplay I've had to grind maybe for 30 minutes. 

Also I love some of the enemy designs.  I really like the little 'soldiers' in crimson forest that call for reinforcement.  It always put a smile on my face when they would.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2008, 11:27:51 PM by Interloper » Logged

Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #186 on: February 20, 2008, 11:31:52 PM »

Quote from: mikeg on February 20, 2008, 11:20:09 PM

I understand that FF games are big for what they call 'grinding' or building up your character with mindless side quests that have absolutely nothing to do with the main story.  Does this game have alot of that, dare I say it, crap?  And if so, can you get through the game and skip all that? 

If that's your understanding of a Final Fantasy game then you really have no idea what they are about. FF games are all about presentation and story, the gameplay itself is usually standard formula with a few unique twists. As far as mindless side quests, they are purely optional for those who are either trying to gain a bit more XP, attain a rare item, or is simply a completionist. Far from mindless really, there's definitely a point to doing them. Now, as far as Mass Effect goes, yes most of those were pointless because you could burn straight through the main quests and have no issues with the so called "boss" battles, nor were there any rare items hidden away in them.

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #187 on: February 21, 2008, 12:05:57 AM »

I know nothing about FF games-never lasted more than 30 minutes, but I have read about this grinding stuff to build up your character.  I see no problem with it if you like it.  I just flat don't want to do any of it to be able to complete the game. 

All I care to know is whether you can get through the game, boss battles and all, without doing ANY of them, like in Mass Effect, of which I never did one.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #188 on: February 21, 2008, 12:17:28 AM »

Quote from: mikeg on February 20, 2008, 11:20:09 PM

Okay, as a person who has only played one rpg in my life-Mass Effect, answer me something.  I understand that FF games are big for what they call 'grinding' or building up your character with mindless side quests that have absolutely nothing to do with the main story.  Does this game have alot of that, dare I say it, crap?  And if so, can you get through the game and skip all that? 

I might like it if I don't have to roam around endlessly with little to no direction and don't have to do unrelated side quests.  I might even be able to endure the turn-based combat for a great story and interesting characters.  That stuff, more than anything, is what I am looking for in most games.

It does have mild grinding.  You will notice a point before each boss fight where your characters just get squat for XP at that point you should be able to take on the boss.  Keep in mind this game is harder than most RPGs in recent memory so you often have to find a specific strategy to beat the boss.  So if you run quickly through an area you might not be a high enough level to take on a boss but generally you don't have to do much grinding. 

I do find it odd that someone who played Mass Effect would be concerned about side quests which have nothing to do with the main story!  smile

mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #189 on: February 21, 2008, 12:22:43 AM »

Thanks.  That is what I wanted to hear.  I may just get this then.I like beautiful games with good stories and really interesting characters no matter the genre.  Just don't like tedium. 

Thanks.  Now back to your regularly scheduled Lost Odyssey impressions....

I am Xboxalot on Live.
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #190 on: February 21, 2008, 12:24:30 AM »

Quote from: Xmann on February 19, 2008, 02:44:30 PM

sigh....i've already reached a point where i quit every single rpg i try.......boss battles.   i really really like this game alot, but i'm already at a point where i'm frustrated to the point of quitting.

spoilers below!!!!!

Spoiler for Hiden:

i'm at the first boss and he just whips my butt.   i can beat him once, but not even close the 2nd time.   i equip the yellow band and i use my anti-paralyze items, but they hammer my health so low all i can do is use turns on healing and never use damage spells.   i have no clue as to how and beat him the second time.

Spoiler for Hiden:
1. I went back to the main town and bought a bunch of aqua bombs.  That way all three characters can do 200-250 damage to him each round.
2. You only need to kill 2-3 of the little guys.  They just re-appear anyway.  You want to kill a few so the boss doesn't absorb to much magic too quickly. 
3. If you have a power drink giving in to Kaim will make him strong enough to kill the little guys with one blow.  So a round can be him killing, Seth using a bomb, and Jansen casting.  Once a couple are dead switch to Kaim using bombs.  That way you are doing roughly 600 points damage per round.  The monster has 1800 (roughly) in each round so that is only 3-4 hits! 
4. Remember Kaim and Seth learn skills when they wear an item so you can have both of them learn anti-paralysis before the fight, then have Jansen wear the yellow band - thus all three are immune to paralysis!

Hope that helps.  It is a lot tougher than most RPGs anymore. 

Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #191 on: February 21, 2008, 01:33:56 AM »

Quote from: mikeg on February 21, 2008, 12:22:43 AM

Thanks.  That is what I wanted to hear.  I may just get this then.I like beautiful games with good stories and really interesting characters no matter the genre.  Just don't like tedium. 

Thanks.  Now back to your regularly scheduled Lost Odyssey impressions....

Lost Odyssey has less grinding than many previous RPGs that I've played. I've spent about 45 minutes doing some extra combat, just to be absolutely certain I was prepared for the 2nd boss. Overall, this game is more about being properly equipped. Like Final Fantasy games, you'll sometimes need to redo a battle because you weren't prepared to be poisoned, hit by paralysis, etc.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #192 on: February 21, 2008, 02:05:47 AM »

Yeah, the game is actually very anti-grind since it reduces experience based on your level in a given area.  So the vast majority of the people should be doing encounters within several levels of everyone else. 
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #193 on: February 21, 2008, 04:15:27 AM »

Quote from: Kevin Grey on February 21, 2008, 02:05:47 AM

Yeah, the game is actually very anti-grind since it reduces experience based on your level in a given area.  So the vast majority of the people should be doing encounters within several levels of everyone else. 

Honestly the constant level cap is a love/hate thing for me.  On the one hand, I'm offended that they decide how easy or challenging I can make the game for myself.  On the other hand, I don't waste hours grinding, thus increasing my boredom with the game.

I hope it's not a trend, because I'm not sure everyone could pull off the balance as well as Lost Odyssey seems to.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #194 on: February 21, 2008, 04:18:48 AM »

Quote from: Dante Rising on February 21, 2008, 01:33:56 AM

Like Final Fantasy games, you'll sometimes need to redo a battle because you weren't prepared to be poisoned, hit by paralysis, etc.

Thankfully, you can change equipment and rings in-battle with no penalty.  Even the best RPGs make the stupid mistake of almost forcing you to know how to fight the boss before you fight it.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Interloper

View Profile
« Reply #195 on: February 21, 2008, 05:17:04 AM »

Heh - Jansen is awesome.  Always trying to get with the ladies, and then that damn Seth comes along and ruins things.  Some of his cutscenes are hilarious.   thumbsup

JuniorDan

View Profile
« Reply #196 on: February 21, 2008, 02:50:37 PM »

Here is a quick walk through of disk 1. 2-4 is also available on this site
FYI, this seems to be strictly a how to and where to go site.

PS3 Spinks
hornysax
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #197 on: February 21, 2008, 06:36:46 PM »

This is the deepest RPG that I have ever played.  I have not been this "into" a game in a long, long time.

The story is immensely rich.  Like others have touched upon, the dreams are these amazingly philosophical allegories with deep insight about life.  It's great to see that kind of thing in a video game.

I'm on disk 2, and I've stopped to "grind" for just a bit.  I have spent the last hour at the Numara Atoll, trying to figure out how to beat the incredibly tough "Hell Shaker" with level 21 characters.  Each time I manage to beat it, all my characters level up though!  It you're looking to gain 20 fast levels for your characters, I recommend it.
hornysax
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #198 on: February 21, 2008, 06:38:01 PM »

By the way, there is no comparison to Blue Dragon.  I'm about 30 hours into Blue Dragon, and Blue Dragon sucks.  How anyone can rate Lost Odyssey below Blue Dragon is beyond me.  Must be fans of Dragon Ball Z...
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #199 on: February 21, 2008, 06:43:36 PM »

I wish JRPGs would be more consistent about putting in save points immediately after beating bosses.  I decided to take on the second boss as my final bit of playing for last night (great boss fight!).  Unfortunately, I was forced into a rather long section of gameplay and cutscenes immediately following with no chance to save.  The end result was that I ended up quitting about 45 minutes later than I wanted.  The sad part was the game offered up a "heal only" sphere immediately following the boss fight- how hard would it have been to make it a save sphere instead? 
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 11   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: