http://gamingtrend.com
December 20, 2014, 02:45:21 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Lost Odyssey - new trailer and impressions  (Read 32353 times)
EddieA
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: February 12, 2008, 03:33:39 AM »

Two new reviews - 8.3/10 from TeamXBox and 8/10 from 1Up.   I was surprised by 1Up's score, as I wasn't expecting them to like it at all.  It's also a very well-written review, even managing to use the word leitmotif without sounding pretentious slywink  This part was especially nice to hear -

Within a few hours, Lost Odyssey is able to do what Blue Dragon couldn't over 40-plus hours and three discs: give you meaningful connections to the characters and reasons to care about them. The characterization is certainly helped by a snappy, witty localization that's leagues beyond Blue Dragon's pedestrian script.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: February 12, 2008, 05:23:22 AM »

I'm definitely going to buy this on day one, I'm a little nervous about the framerate drops but after watching the Game Trailers video review I was impressed and excited.

I liked when the reviewer commented on LO's combat system not being as "deep and complex" as Mass Effect's, that made me chuckle  icon_lol

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
depward

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: February 12, 2008, 06:56:49 PM »

Question:

Here's a video of a part of LO - don't worry, no spoilers here, just a 10 minute gameplay vid from the middle of the game:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWcZpqrT7sY

My question is - is the loading time this bad?  If you watch the video, the battle "starts" at 0:11 in and the individual isn't able to actually select any battle commands until 0:36 in... which makes it 25 seconds.  I'm guessing you're able to just mash the "A" button through some of these sequences, right?  Also, this random battle essentially ends around the 2:15 mark... is this the amount of time spent, on average, for a random battle for LO?

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: February 12, 2008, 07:55:38 PM »

The only thing that stood out to me was that when the battles first initiate, the game wastes about 10 seconds showing glimpses of the surrounding environment as well as your party before you can choose any actions. Otherwise the battle system, or perhaps the person playing the game, does seem to be a bit slower paced than normal.

What I really want to know is what differentiates this game from the PS2 Final Fantasy games so much that those games can find a 90 percentile average review score and Lost Odyssey sits at the upper 70s. Brand name recognition?
« Last Edit: February 12, 2008, 08:03:17 PM by Ridah » Logged

Sean Lama
Doopri

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: February 12, 2008, 08:24:07 PM »

hmm i want it but i think im losing my nerve!  i may hope someone at the game store hates it and returns it in the next 2 days.  i have a coupon for a used game AND i can return the thing myself if i really cant stand it.  certain turn based games, i fall in love with.  certain ones are pure, slow tedium.  as much as ive wanted this game i think i want some insurance that i dont become bored to tears after 10 hours.

so make with the impressions!  specifically - combat and gear
Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: February 12, 2008, 08:38:07 PM »

Quote from: depward on February 12, 2008, 06:56:49 PM

Question:

Here's a video of a part of LO - don't worry, no spoilers here, just a 10 minute gameplay vid from the middle of the game:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWcZpqrT7sY

My question is - is the loading time this bad?  If you watch the video, the battle "starts" at 0:11 in and the individual isn't able to actually select any battle commands until 0:36 in... which makes it 25 seconds.  I'm guessing you're able to just mash the "A" button through some of these sequences, right?  Also, this random battle essentially ends around the 2:15 mark... is this the amount of time spent, on average, for a random battle for LO?

Based upon the trailer you linked to, I think the better question would be is the combat that damned easy? The enemy did 0-1 point of damage, and your party was doing 500-1000 points of damage. Why bother allowing battles that one-sided to even exist?
disarm

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: February 12, 2008, 08:50:33 PM »

Quote from: Ridah on February 12, 2008, 07:55:38 PM

What I really want to know is what differentiates this game from the PS2 Final Fantasy games so much that those games can find a 90 percentile average review score and Lost Odyssey sits at the upper 70s. Brand name recognition?

that's a very good question...

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: February 12, 2008, 10:22:54 PM »

The average battle loads vary (I've heard 10-20 seconds), and since the game is loading during this time, there's no way to skip it.  The camera panning and battle pose are just there to give you something to look at while you're waiting slywink  From what I've read, the battles take longer than in most games, but there are fewer of them.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: February 12, 2008, 10:49:07 PM »

Quote from: Dante Rising on February 12, 2008, 08:38:07 PM

Based upon the trailer you linked to, I think the better question would be is the combat that damned easy? The enemy did 0-1 point of damage, and your party was doing 500-1000 points of damage. Why bother allowing battles that one-sided to even exist?

I'm assuming they took a high-level party into an early dungeon for some reason.  Everything I've heard about the game says it is on the difficult side, and each area has a level cap.

kathode

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: February 12, 2008, 10:58:49 PM »

The Final Fantasy games I've played have all deserved stellar review scores.  They're very high quality games, by and large (spinoffs not included in that statement!).

Those battle load sequences in that video look absolutely brutal.  Enough to make me reconsider this game frown
Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: February 12, 2008, 11:13:00 PM »

Quote from: EddieA on February 12, 2008, 10:49:07 PM

Quote from: Dante Rising on February 12, 2008, 08:38:07 PM

I'm assuming they took a high-level party into an early dungeon for some reason.  Everything I've heard about the game says it is on the difficult side, and each area has a level cap.

Just as long as it isn't Blue Dragon easy. That was ridiculous. And then with the patch they went completely in the opposite direction.
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: February 12, 2008, 11:58:29 PM »

The Final Fantasy games definitely deserve the scores they get, but I think lesser known RPGs often get lower scores than they deserve simply because they're not well known.  A lot of RPG reviews are written by people who are obviously not fans of the genre.  They don't give the lesser known games the time and attention they deserve, and/or don't appreciate them.  For instance, I read several 8/10 reviews for Shadow Hearts : Covenant that I'm sure would have been 9+ if the only change had been the words "Final Fantasy" on the box.

EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: February 13, 2008, 02:19:38 AM »

Gamespot's review - 7.5/10.

Getting the most out of Lost Odyssey will require a bit of patience, even from those used to the slower pace of the genre. However, the gameplay subtleties and character-driven narrative are rewarding enough to make it worth the occasional frustration. No, the game breaks no new ground, and it suffers from some inexcusable technical glitches. But if you stick with it, you'll find a compelling emotional drama, delicate adjustments to an age-old formula, and a unique and balanced skill-development system. Kaim's journey is a memorable one, and if you like turn-based RPGs, you'll want to experience it for yourself.

Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: February 13, 2008, 06:28:03 AM »

Eh, that Gamespot quote turns me off. Why do so many 360 games have such severe technical issues? Make your fucking games in 2D if you can't cut it in 3D, sheesh. thumbsdown

Unacceptably long load times and poor frame rate. Protracted battle intros and other frustrations break up the pace

Err... Yeah, I'm out until a superior PS3 version sees the light of day.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2008, 06:32:01 AM by Ridah » Logged

Sean Lama
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: February 13, 2008, 06:42:54 AM »

If this was a PS2 game that was released 8 years ago then I'm sure it would be getting better reviews as well.  But it ain't 2000 anymore.  Don't compare it with Final Fantasy 10, compare it with FF13 when it comes out and then decide whether it deserves a lower score.

That gameplay was decidedly old school.  They really ought to have just gone with old school graphics as well and then the gamer wouldn't be forced to look at empty caves for 15 seconds.  It almost tricked me into thinking that I wasn't waiting, but not quite.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: February 13, 2008, 06:49:04 AM »

Quote from: Ridah on February 13, 2008, 06:28:03 AM

Err... Yeah, I'm out until a superior PS3 version sees the light of day.

It's published by Microsoft.  A PS3 version is not likely. 
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: February 13, 2008, 08:05:10 AM »

I'm not sure where they got their information, but GameInformer posted this -

Mistwalker’s latest Xbox 360 RPG, Lost Odyssey, is shipping today, and our review is almost ready for release. We caught word that there is a difference in load times between the review build we had and the final boxed version, however, so we’re waiting to double-check if this is indeed the case before we post. Our readers deserve the most accurate coverage possible, and if there is a noticeable load reduction in the retail SKU, we want to make sure they know. We’re hoping to have our review posted tomorrow—stay tuned.

Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: February 13, 2008, 09:05:07 AM »

Speaking of the final box version, I read over on the PA forums that North American gamers get shafted when it comes to the actual packaging.  Basically there are 3 discs stacked on top of each other and the other one comes in a  paper sleeve.  Not sure whether that is true or not though.
hornysax
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: February 13, 2008, 09:25:21 AM »

The part that interests me most about Lost Odyssey is the competition it poses to the Final Fantasy franchise  For me, Final Fantasy hasn't been Final Fantasy in a long while, and its been ok because nobody can do it better in the RPG genre.

Lost Odyssey (from the reviews) seems not to have the highest production quality, as everyone is complaining about "technical glitches" and load times.  But it appears to have beautiful graphics and story (at least the premise, as I have not played the game).  Hopefully it's deep enough to spawn a great franchise.

I wonder what reviewers of this game would have thought of its story had it been a Final Fantasy title.  When was the last time a Final Fantasy game even had a great story?
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: February 13, 2008, 12:23:55 PM »

I thought Final Fantasy 12 had a fantastic story? I haven't played it yet.
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: February 13, 2008, 01:03:28 PM »

It did, and I'd say FFX had the best story in the series' history.  With the possible exception of FF8, from FF6 on, the series had great stories.

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: February 13, 2008, 01:26:56 PM »

I agree with Eddie- both X and XII had great stories.  So the franchise certainly isn't lacking in my eyes in that department and I would be thrilled if Lost Odyssey could live up to the standards set by those games.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #102 on: February 13, 2008, 02:09:19 PM »

Quote from: EddieA on February 13, 2008, 08:05:10 AM

I'm not sure where they got their information, but GameInformer posted this -

Mistwalker’s latest Xbox 360 RPG, Lost Odyssey, is shipping today, and our review is almost ready for release. We caught word that there is a difference in load times between the review build we had and the final boxed version, however, so we’re waiting to double-check if this is indeed the case before we post. Our readers deserve the most accurate coverage possible, and if there is a noticeable load reduction in the retail SKU, we want to make sure they know. We’re hoping to have our review posted tomorrow—stay tuned.

I'm sorry, but I highly doubt that the 'nearly finished and set for review' and 'what you buy in stores' versions will be any different from each other.

All I know is that I took one (long) look at the load times in that video posted recently and just shook my head. That's an absurd loading length in this day and age.

If Microsoft only made the HD standard like they did last generation...

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: February 13, 2008, 04:10:49 PM »

Quote from: Canuck on February 13, 2008, 09:05:07 AM

Speaking of the final box version, I read over on the PA forums that North American gamers get shafted when it comes to the actual packaging.  Basically there are 3 discs stacked on top of each other and the other one comes in a  paper sleeve.  Not sure whether that is true or not though.

Did everyone complain about this when Blue Dragon came out?  It was the same thing, though there was no 4th disc to put in a paper sleeve.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Xmann

Ironman in training

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: February 13, 2008, 07:16:50 PM »

well my copy shipped from Gamefly so it'll be here by Friday and i'll get the weekend to mess around with it.

Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: February 13, 2008, 07:46:46 PM »

I'll pick up my copy today, but probably won't get a chance to play more than an hour until this weekend.  frown

metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: February 13, 2008, 07:57:27 PM »

not due until the 29th for UK....being European sucks pony dick

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
USMC Kato

I have a bad feeling about this....

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: February 13, 2008, 10:56:59 PM »

Game just arrived in the mail, gonna go ahead and play a few hours........

Semper Fidelis

Gamertag: USMC Kato
PSN ID: USMC_Kato
Gamecenter ID: USMC Kato
Wii U Nintendo ID: USMC_Kato
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: February 13, 2008, 11:23:12 PM »

Quote from: The Grue on February 13, 2008, 04:10:49 PM

Quote from: Canuck on February 13, 2008, 09:05:07 AM

Did everyone complain about this when Blue Dragon came out?  It was the same thing, though there was no 4th disc to put in a paper sleeve.

I think the problem this time is that Asian gamers got something much nicer:

depward

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: February 13, 2008, 11:28:43 PM »

Looking forward to some impressions...

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: February 14, 2008, 12:26:59 AM »

We already know EXACTLY what to expect from the game, just let us know how bearable the loading times and framerate is.

Sean Lama
hornysax
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: February 14, 2008, 01:27:08 AM »

Asians get better packaging because Asians don't like XBox and Microsoft still needs to win them over.   thumbsdown
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: February 14, 2008, 02:01:18 AM »

Snowstorm canceled this evening's plans, so I've been able to put in about 2 1/2 hours so far.  Some initial impressions:

-  The load times between areas or cutscenes haven't been an issue for me at all so far.  They are frequent, but I don't think I encountered one that was more than 5-10 seconds.  When going into a battle, they don't seem any longer than any other turn-based RPG I've played.  There's a screen effect, the camera pans around for a couple seconds while it loads, and there's some initial 'battle animations'.  Nothing out of the ordinary.  I'm probably more forgiving about load times than most people, but so far they haven't bothered me at all.

-  Haven't run into any technical issues either.  No slow downs or frame rate issues whatsoever.

-  The story definitely starts out slow.   I'd say that nearly half my time so far has just been spent wandering around the city talking to people and learning the backstory.   The characters are a mixed bag, with Kiam being pretty cliche, and Jansen being pretty awesome.  Just got started on the first real dungeon (outside of the tutorial area), and I'm glad to finally get some action going.  Combat is pretty simple, but the ring feature is a nice touch.  The skill link system reminds me a lot of FF VIII's Junction system, and I'm digging it so far.

-  The Thousand Year Dream stories are going to be awesome.  Only had one so far, but it was very well done and very moving.  Very excited about that feature.

-  It looks and sounds great.   The VO work has been very good so far, and the visuals are outstanding.  Pretty disappointed in the music, though.  Hopefully it gets better, as so far it's completely generic and very un-Uematsu-ish.

Pretty impressed so far, and it feels really good to finally be playing a next-gen JRPG with a 'classic' turn-based feel.  smile

EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: February 14, 2008, 02:01:34 AM »

I only played the game for about 40 minutes, but the introductory sequence was awesome.  It starts off with some great CGI scenes of a huge battle, and then makes an impressively seamless transition to actual gameplay, then back to more great CGI.  The graphics look great, even on my SDTV, and what little I've heard of the voice acting sounds solid.  It's a very epic beginning, especially when you see the main character surveying the destruction of the battlefield while the great theme music plays quietly in the background.  The battle loads took about 10 seconds, and I didn't encounter any frame rate drops in my short time with it.    You can also see the influence of the Shadow Hearts developers in the NPC names (like "Worried About The Battle Malos", etc. just like in the SH games) I plan to play more later tonight.

As for the packaging, the fourth disc goes on the spindle with others.  I assume they put it in a plastic sleeve so that it wouldn't come off the spindle during shipping.  Cheap, but at least they learned their lesson from the Halo 3 CE problems.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2008, 02:04:02 AM by EddieA » Logged

USMC Kato

I have a bad feeling about this....

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: February 14, 2008, 02:38:54 AM »

Quote from: Gratch on February 14, 2008, 02:01:18 AM

Snowstorm canceled this evening's plans, so I've been able to put in about 2 1/2 hours so far.  Some initial impressions:

-  The load times between areas or cutscenes haven't been an issue for me at all so far.  They are frequent, but I don't think I encountered one that was more than 5-10 seconds.  When going into a battle, they don't seem any longer than any other turn-based RPG I've played.  There's a screen effect, the camera pans around for a couple seconds while it loads, and there's some initial 'battle animations'.  Nothing out of the ordinary.  I'm probably more forgiving about load times than most people, but so far they haven't bothered me at all.

-  Haven't run into any technical issues either.  No slow downs or frame rate issues whatsoever.

-  The story definitely starts out slow.   I'd say that nearly half my time so far has just been spent wandering around the city talking to people and learning the backstory.   The characters are a mixed bag, with Kiam being pretty cliche, and Jansen being pretty awesome.  Just got started on the first real dungeon (outside of the tutorial area), and I'm glad to finally get some action going.  Combat is pretty simple, but the ring feature is a nice touch.  The skill link system reminds me a lot of FF VIII's Junction system, and I'm digging it so far.

-  The Thousand Year Dream stories are going to be awesome.  Only had one so far, but it was very well done and very moving.  Very excited about that feature.

-  It looks and sounds great.   The VO work has been very good so far, and the visuals are outstanding.  Pretty disappointed in the music, though.  Hopefully it gets better, as so far it's completely generic and very un-Uematsu-ish.

Pretty impressed so far, and it feels really good to finally be playing a next-gen JRPG with a 'classic' turn-based feel.  smile

My impressions are pretty much identical to Gratch.  About 3 hours in, very nice visuals, no framerate issues (yet?), the load times are no better no worse than (FFX, Shadow Hearts, persona 3) and it doesn't bother me at all.  Just like Gratch said, the Thousand Year Dream sequences are pretty damn cool and moving.  IMO the VO language i picked is the French dub (just finished watching Brotherhood of the Wolf) and its excellent!

So far so good, JRPG fans only though.

Semper Fidelis

Gamertag: USMC Kato
PSN ID: USMC_Kato
Gamecenter ID: USMC Kato
Wii U Nintendo ID: USMC_Kato
Sparhawk

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: February 14, 2008, 03:06:48 AM »

That first Thousand Year Story literally made me ball my eyes out for like 5 minutes. The writers of those stories are INCREDIBLE.

Now on to my first question while I fly to shadowmoon valley for my BT raid:

SPOILERSSSSSSS!!!!

The first major boss you run across (dragon dude) just layed me to waste! Group level was around 14. I'm guessing I need to grind to around 19 or 20 to kill him?

PSN: Kal_Torok
Xbox Live: Sparhawk GT
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: February 14, 2008, 03:41:25 AM »

Quote from: Sparhawk on February 14, 2008, 03:06:48 AM

Spoiler for Hiden:
The first major boss you run across (dragon dude) just layed me to waste! Group level was around 14. I'm guessing I need to grind to around 19 or 20 to kill him?

Same here.  According the guide, however, he's beatable around level 15 with the right set of skills.  We'll see...

Interloper

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: February 14, 2008, 03:52:34 AM »

I'm a few hours in so far also - and I'm loving it.  Great music and atmosphere, great looks.  It was slow to get going, but I didn't mind as I like to explore in rpgs just as much as fight.  It comes across as quite polished.  Can't wait to delve in some more.

PS Gratch - Talked to my folks in SLC tonight - they said they too are getting clobbered by snow.  You guys need it so bad for the water.  I miss it personally.  Sorry for the divert  slywink

Goldchamp
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: February 14, 2008, 04:17:07 AM »

Quote from: Gratch on February 14, 2008, 03:41:25 AM

Quote from: Sparhawk on February 14, 2008, 03:06:48 AM

Spoiler for Hiden:

Same here.  According the guide, however, he's beatable around level 15 with the right set of skills.  We'll see...

I beat him after leveling up to 15. Not real hard then.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: February 14, 2008, 04:48:31 AM »

A couple other quick thoughts:

-  I'm not crazy about the game mechanic of having to head-butt every tree and poke around in every crate.  That's gonna get really annoying, really quickly.

-  I can't quite figure out how the XP is determined.  Seems like some fights will give me a ton of XP, and other fights (against very similar enemies) will give me next to nothing.  I'm sure I'm just missing something obvious.

-  It appears that the first battle you fight in a new area will have a longer load time than the rest.  I.E.  the first battle will take 10-15 seconds to load (you see a couple different camera angles of scenery), while all subsequent battles just skip directly to the pre-fight animations.

-  Make sure you talk to every NPC, sometimes multiple times.  Really glad I picked up the guide, as it showed me the location of 4 Thousand Year Dreams I missed just in the first city.  Some of the triggers are a bit odd, and I never would have found them otherwise.   For example:  there are 3 sequences that can be triggered in the tavern, but you have to leave the building and come back in for each consecutive one to start.  These are so phenomenally well written that I'm sure I'll be hunting down every single one I can find.   They're certainly not easy reads (a couple of them nearly had me in tears), but are wonderful stories.

Quote from: Interloper on February 14, 2008, 03:52:34 AM

PS Gratch - Talked to my folks in SLC tonight - they said they too are getting clobbered by snow.  You guys need it so bad for the water.  I miss it personally.  Sorry for the divert  slywink

Yeah, we got hammered pretty good earlier.  My usual 20 minute drive home took almost 1 1/2 hours today.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: