http://gamingtrend.com
September 03, 2014, 02:19:04 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Lost Empire: Immortals preview space 4X  (Read 933 times)
Daehawk
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: March 08, 2008, 05:21:20 PM »

http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/lost-empire-immortals/857907p1.html

So is this the new MOO or a cross between Sins and Stars?
« Last Edit: March 09, 2008, 12:07:40 AM by Daehawk » Logged

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
Hamsterball_Z
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2008, 11:43:32 PM »

It's turn based strategy like GalCiv. The first one sounded good but was broken.  We'll see if they get it right this time.  Here's a review of the original.

(HBZ)
Arnir

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2008, 04:22:47 AM »

Did anyone pick this one up? Any impressions?

If the road home crosses any landscape features that include words like "forgotten," "void," "razorthorn," "shadowmist," or "doom," then I vote that we take a nap first.
XGC Mega
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2008, 02:41:59 PM »

Did they even patch the first one heavily? The last one came out what... a year ago?
JohnathanStrange

Noted Humanitarian

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2008, 10:08:52 PM »

I'm interested in it, Gamersgate has it for something like $25-$30 so it's a budget title with interesting possibilities.

Whatever the faults of the previous version may have been, this one, iirc, has had somewhat better feedback.

Here's the demo, btw.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2008, 01:10:35 AM by JohnathanStrange » Logged

You just don't give up do you? You seize life by the throat and shake it like a topless bartender mixing a martini! -- Mayor Adam West
Tampa_Gamer
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2008, 10:52:03 PM »

I am a sucker for any 4x space strategy game...so how does this one model ground combat?  One of my favorite models for ground combat was Star General, and I have been waiting ever since (despite its warts, MOO3 came close to actually having a model I liked believe it or not).

No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country.
-General George S. Patton
JohnathanStrange

Noted Humanitarian

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2008, 11:26:39 PM »

Here's an informative review of Lost Empires: Immortals at Out of Eight. The review refers you to the previous Lost Empires game for certain details of gameplay that haven't changed drastically.

As for the ground combat, my understanding is that you can use troops to invade a planet but combat is automated (as is starship combat) - you can, I think, watch a replay if you choose.

I'm getting the impression that while GalCiv2 is arguably the current turn-based space strategy favorite, there are enough interesting aspects to make me consider Lost Empires: Immortals. Especially now there are enough improvements to the first game that would make it more manageable for the casual gamer - like smaller galaxies, better tutorials, improved interface.

In my galaxy, there's always room for more turn-based strategy games. What there isn't always more of is time.

You just don't give up do you? You seize life by the throat and shake it like a topless bartender mixing a martini! -- Mayor Adam West
Hamsterball_Z
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2008, 12:36:19 AM »

TGB bought both games and didn't like either one.  The design looks good on paper and initial play seems interesting but it doesn't hold up for very long.  Last I heard the developers closed down operations a couple months ago so I wouldn't rely on there being much support for it.

(HBZ)
JohnathanStrange

Noted Humanitarian

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2008, 01:24:40 AM »

Although the publisher Paradox Entertainment released another patch (to v1.04) two days ago, it does appear that Lost Empires will not be a Stardock work-in-progress with continued improvements, tweaks, etc.

Sorry that TGB didn't like the game.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: