http://gamingtrend.com
August 28, 2014, 11:43:47 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Losing Interest in Rogue Galaxy. Worth Continuing?  (Read 631 times)
Dante Rising
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: February 18, 2008, 06:22:31 AM »

I'm about 15 hours into Rogue Galaxy, and I'm beginning to lose interest. As is typical of a Level 5 game, Rogue Galaxy is very streamlined, has  nice graphics for a PS2 title, and is littered with tons of extra content. The factory and insect collecting are probably two of the best implemented and enjoyable side features I've ever experienced in an RPG. But the game is starting to wear on me. Random battles seem far too frequent, the levels are convoluted and somewhat boring, and I haven't seen a villian of any lasting appeal. The game feels antiseptic.

I just finished the "mafia" planet, picked up Deego, and saw the first tablet get stolen by the Daytron Corporation.  I'm hoping the storyline picks up speed, or a better villian is introduced, otherwise I see myself giving up on Rogue Galaxy. I'd appreciate any final impressions any of you may have had on the game. Is this a slow burn RPG, or does it never really click?

It seems strange the Jeanne D'Arc, a level 5 SRPG, seems to have a far richer story and character set than their 60 hour epic RPG.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2008, 06:31:54 AM by Dante Rising » Logged
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2008, 11:46:57 AM »

I'm about 2/3 through, and it doesn't really change from what you're describing.  Personally, I love it, as I love this type of game, but the game is really all about the gameplay rather than the story.  If you're not enjoying playing it, I doubt you'll change your mind.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2008, 04:01:38 PM »

really wanted to like the game, but ended up quitting a bit before where you are - just found the whole thing, pretty & well made as it was, very unimaginative, & really wasn't connecting with the characters/story...

this from someone who loved star ocean 3...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
Kagath

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2008, 05:26:50 PM »

Shutup all of you! I have this in my stack of games I want to get to play some year.  mad thumbsdown icon_lol

Playing: ? 360 | ? | BF4 PC / XB1 | ? - WINGS *are* shit lately.
PSN/Live: MrStark77
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2008, 05:43:11 PM »

I actually really like the game a lot. The story is sub-par, the voices blow (with few exceptions; Zegram's fairly entertaining), and surprisingly a lot of the music is also fairly mediocre. But I love the gameplay so much that I can just ignore that other stuff and still enjoy the game (though the mafia planet, for the most part, sucked).

I'm not much further than you, Dante. I think I'm on the start of the next chapter after the chapter immediately following Mafia-land.

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2008, 06:31:05 PM »

Quote from: semiconscious on February 18, 2008, 04:01:38 PM

really wanted to like the game, but ended up quitting a bit before where you are - just found the whole thing, pretty & well made as it was, very unimaginative, & really wasn't connecting with the characters/story...

This was my opinion as well, and I ended up quitting long before you did.  The combat was too action-y for my tastes, and I thought the story absolutely sucked.  Very disappointing, really.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: