http://gamingtrend.com
October 31, 2014, 06:03:26 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Losing interest in Enchanted Arms...  (Read 854 times)
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: September 13, 2006, 12:40:40 AM »

I don't know what to say really, I'm about 15 hours in and my interest is waning fast. It had such an incredible opening, but over time everything has become such a huge bore. The battle system is pretty boring, I just have the party auto battle most of the time unless its a boss enemy. I thought collecting golems would be fun, but I only use a few of them, the rest suck. The story hasn't done anything to pull me in, I don't particularly like Atsuma or any of the supporting cast of characters, and the game is in desperate need of cutscenes. I'm not talking about CGI, I just want some simple FMV cutscenes rather than two characters talking back and forth. I really would like more than implied actions, I want to see it.

I guess the reviews were right afterall... The need for something new on the 360 or wanting to love the first JRPG on the system blinded us, I'm thinking.

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2006, 01:06:22 AM »

I don't know, personally I don't agree with the reviews at all.  I am a bit over 25 hours in now and it just keeps getting better and better.  Not every single golem is useful, but I have a very tough time deciding what 8 golems to keep out.  I really like Atsuma, Karin, Raigar and even Yuki.  I just wish I didn't have to play on my brothers 360 thanks to MS having mine.
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2006, 01:57:45 AM »

The game is 95% the combat system, which I happen to like a LOT (and the tactics continue to evolve for me past the halfway mark), but I can easily understand where you'd tire of the game in a hurry if you don't like the combat.

I'm very much enjoying the story and characters. They do a great job of revealing little bits of their respective pasts and uncovering their motivations...but again, if the fighting is drudgery for you, who'd want to grind through hundreds of fights solely for that?

Ruining language with my terrible words.
Dante Rising

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2006, 03:00:42 AM »

I guess the reviews were right afterall... The need for something new on the 360 or wanting to love the first JRPG on the system blinded us, I'm thinking.

I disagree. I really enjoyed the game, and stand by my rating of 80%. It was a wonderful little gem. Having said that, not every JRPG is for every person. There are many quality JRPGs that I stopped playing because they couldn't keep my interest. Xenosaga, Star Ocean 3 and Baten Kaitos are examples of titles I tossed away.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2006, 04:46:40 AM »

So far I have been able to resist the Forum Effect, but it's been a bitch to do so....

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2006, 05:12:36 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on September 13, 2006, 04:46:40 AM

So far I have been able to resist the Forum Effect, but it's been a bitch to do so....

I was *so* close to picking up Enchanted Arms Friday night as part of FYE's awesome trade in deal, but had the clerk switch it to Saints Row at the last minute.  The threads on this board and a few others have convinced me to try EA sooner than I was going to, but it will still probably be after the Fall onslaught of games calms a bit. 
Fellow

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2006, 06:10:43 AM »

I will give EA this - bless them for including the Japanese voice track.

X360 Gamertag: LuckyFellow
PS3: Fellow
Nintendo Wii: 2484 8443 5009 9425
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2006, 01:44:39 PM »

Quote from: Fellow on September 13, 2006, 06:10:43 AM

I will give EA this - bless them for including the Japanese voice track.

I'm surprised you say that. Short of 'really gay guy', the English voice track has been quite good. It's no 'Master of Unlocking', that's for sure.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Fellow

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2006, 04:50:16 PM »

No kidding? It's BECAUSE of the gay guy that I specifically selected the Jap voices. Heh, maybe I should give the other ones a chance.

X360 Gamertag: LuckyFellow
PS3: Fellow
Nintendo Wii: 2484 8443 5009 9425
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2006, 06:14:02 PM »

Quote from: Fellow on September 13, 2006, 04:50:16 PM

No kidding? It's BECAUSE of the gay guy that I specifically selected the Jap voices. Heh, maybe I should give the other ones a chance.

Seriously - the English voice track is good, IMHO.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2006, 06:14:51 PM »

I didn't mind Makoto's voice,  I just can't stand Atsuma's. I switched to the Jap track about 15 hours in.

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2006, 10:49:52 PM »

Quote from: Ridah on September 13, 2006, 06:14:51 PM

I didn't mind Makoto's voice,  I just can't stand Atsuma's. I switched to the Jap track about 15 hours in.
I feel the same way, but I'm leaving it on the English track.  All of the voice actors I'm fine with except Atsuma.  Too bad I can't switch to only Atsuma's voice in Japanese.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: