http://gamingtrend.com
October 30, 2014, 01:42:40 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Lords of Magic: Special Edition coming to GOG  (Read 783 times)
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« on: July 12, 2009, 06:43:59 PM »

If I remember correctly this one was pretty popular, and now I'll get a chance to play it.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Mithridates

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2009, 07:22:11 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on July 12, 2009, 06:43:59 PM

If I remember correctly this one was pretty popular, and now I'll get a chance to play it.

Man, I don't know.  My remembrance of Lords of Magic was that of utter disappointment.  It never lived up to the potential I had hoped it would.  But maybe I'm in a minority on that one?
lakers1
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2009, 08:10:08 PM »

Quote from: Mithridates on July 12, 2009, 07:22:11 PM

Quote from: CeeKay on July 12, 2009, 06:43:59 PM

Man, I don't know.  My remembrance of Lords of Magic was that of utter disappointment.  It never lived up to the potential I had hoped it would.  But maybe I'm in a minority on that one?

You're right as far as I am concerned. Lords of Magic is only 1 of only 2 games I ever returned - and I had been looking forward to it so much. It wasn't easy to return games but it was a privately-owned shop and the owner knew I didn't abuse the privilege.

The exact reasons why I thought it was bad are lost in the mists of time but I doubt it would hold up well now.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2009, 08:55:39 PM »

Looking around I may be mistaking this with Master of Magic....

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2009, 09:18:03 PM »

Now, THAT is a game worth playing...always - best damn fantasy civ/tactical game out there still... At least until Elemental arrives :-)

A new one
Goldchamp
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2009, 09:26:19 PM »

The orginal release of Lords of Magic was a buggy turd. They fixed most of it for the Special Edition but by that time it was too late. I still own a copy.
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2009, 09:48:23 PM »

Quote from: Goldchamp on July 12, 2009, 09:26:19 PM

The orginal release of Lords of Magic was a buggy turd. They fixed most of it for the Special Edition but by that time it was too late. I still own a copy.

As do I. I seem to remember it having alot of potential but buggy and while the "special edition" helped it really couldn't rescue it.

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
Mithridates

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2009, 11:25:10 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on July 12, 2009, 08:55:39 PM

Looking around I may be mistaking this with Master of Magic....

If you haven't played MoM, then I think you should as long as you get over the 1994ish graphics.  What a great game.
ydejin

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2009, 11:49:10 PM »

I enjoyed LoM and played it quite a bit when it came out.  Never managed to beat it although I'm sure I played through a good 15 times.  That Balkoth guy was too tough, I could beat the other players, but not Chaos.   Not sure how well it would hold up though, I assume the graphics will look horrible.

I played a bunch of Master of Magic recently too.  If you can get past the 320x240 graphics, it's still a solid game.
Ironrod

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2009, 02:53:04 PM »

Quote from: Goldchamp on July 12, 2009, 09:26:19 PM

Exactly so. Impressions was being pressured to ship it, and QA had been working heavy overtime for months with extension after extension. One day the designer polled the department: Ship it, or press for yet another extension? We opined that the game had such drastic problems that another month wasn't going to change anything. It wasn't crashing -- much -- so we ought to just push it out the door and get busy on a major patch.

Which is exactly what they did. I was fortunate enough to move onto a different project, so I never worked on the Special Edition redevelopment. I'm told that LOM SE was OK if you like that sort of thing. It had its fans. Of all the games I worked on, I hated LOM the most.

But it's OK if you like that sort of thing.  icon_lol

Curio City Online - Weird stuff you can buy
Curious Business - The Curio City Blog
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: