http://gamingtrend.com
August 30, 2014, 07:03:19 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Shroud of the Avatar:Forsaken Virtues (was: Lord British has a Kickstarter)  (Read 2522 times)
Laner
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« on: March 08, 2013, 04:20:03 PM »

Shroud of the Avatar: Forsaken Virtues

I pledged at the $25 tier, but I would be far more excited if it wasn't going to have MMO elements.  I know a lot of people enjoyed UO, but my love of Ultima was due to the single player games.

Launching it so close to the Torment kickstarter probably wasn't the best move either...
« Last Edit: July 09, 2013, 12:47:22 AM by Laner » Logged
Teggy

Eat lightsaber, jerks!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2013, 04:27:26 PM »

LOL at the $10 tier

GUILT PLEDGE
 =============================
Thank Lord British and prove your virtue with a $10 donation. If you ever pirated an Ultima game or used an exploit to grief other players in Ultima Online, here’s your chance to repent! For your $10 donation you will receive a clear conscience and Lord British's undying gratitude.

"Is there any chance your jolly Garchomp is female?" - Wonderpug
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2013, 05:02:27 PM »

Quote from: Laner on March 08, 2013, 04:20:03 PM

I would be far more excited if it wasn't going to have MMO elements.  

this.  plus $125 to get the cloth map?  I put in $25 for now.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
JCC

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2013, 09:24:24 PM »

I absolutely love the first 7.5 Ultima games, but I have absolutely no faith in this man's ability to make a good game in 2013.

-John

XBox Live ID: "JCC Davros"
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2013, 09:32:09 PM »

Compared to CRPG Kickstarter projects like Torment and Project Eternity, this looks absolutely 'meh'.  Then again, I have no history with the Ultima games...maybe nostalgic gamers will be more receptive.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2013, 01:04:03 AM »

Quote from: Gratch on March 08, 2013, 09:32:09 PM

Compared to CRPG Kickstarter projects like Torment and Project Eternity, this looks absolutely 'meh'.  Then again, I have no history with the Ultima games...maybe nostalgic gamers will be more receptive.

Yup, other than Garriott being attached to it, this seems to have nothing in particular going for it, yet they have raised 400k already.

Ruining language with my terrible words.
Crawley

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2013, 01:53:14 AM »

Yeah, this doesn't look good to me either and I'm a huge Ultima fan. Looks like a generic action RPG light game to me. Passing.
Jumangi

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2013, 04:08:07 AM »

The guy had $20 million to drop for a trip into space but needs a kicks starter to do his own game?

I loved the early Ultima games as a kid but this guy hasn't done squat in game design in over 20 years. I see no reason to believe he can deliver anything good. Its sounds harsh but I just smell another old game developer wanting to cash in on the kickstarter craze.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2013, 07:36:33 AM »

Well, he did recently have to sell his castle, perhaps all that spending, and no actual money making has taken it's toll. Tongue
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2013, 10:22:37 AM »

Also, Kickstarter's purpose isn't exclusively to get money to fund a project, though that's what we typically see. It's just as much there to build PR and hype, and Kickstarter itself embraces that.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2013, 06:15:37 PM »

halfway there.

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2013, 09:45:31 PM »

$651K.  I wonder if they're going to put up stretch goals at any point.

Because I can,
tcweidner
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2013, 10:45:04 PM »

I'm really interested in seeing where this goes, I personally would love to see the whole MMO genre turned on its ear.

Project Reindeer Games- Exclusive Family Friendly PC Games to Give, Play, and Share for Free.
th'FOOL
Executive Producer and Editor-At-Large

Never whistle while you're pissing

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2013, 11:28:25 PM »

We have some special coverage from SXSW on this coming in the next few days!

Mike Dunn
Executive Producer & Managing Editor, GamingTrend
Arnir

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2013, 12:46:56 AM »

Quote from: tcweidner on March 10, 2013, 10:45:04 PM

I'm really interested in seeing where this goes, I personally would love to see the whole MMO genre turned on its ear.

So would I, but in what way will this do that?  Genuine question - no snark.

If the road home crosses any landscape features that include words like "forgotten," "void," "razorthorn," "shadowmist," or "doom," then I vote that we take a nap first.
Suitably Ironic Moniker

WAKKA-WAKKA-WAKKA!!!

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2013, 12:52:08 AM »

Quote from: Arnir on March 11, 2013, 12:46:56 AM

Quote from: tcweidner on March 10, 2013, 10:45:04 PM

So would I, but in what way will this do that?  Genuine question - no snark.

Quote from: Smoove_B
Interview on RPS:

“It’s been about 15 years since I’ve gone back to my fantasy role-playing game roots in particular,” he tells me. “I think that the industry has evolved and the genre of role-playing games in particular has evolved in a direction that has left a large opening for me. I kind of put role-playing games into two general categories: One I’ll put my work into, which is sort of sandbox realities, where you get invited into this world.

“Not only is there a deep, rich story that unfolds, but also you can do all kinds of things at your own pace, whether that’s to be a shopkeeper or to be an adventurer or to be a blacksmith. They’re all richly detailed ways in which to play in that world. Whereas if you compare that to, say, EverQuest or World of Warcraft, in those games, every player is first and foremost a combatant.”

And on the multiplayer aspects:

Shroud of the Avatar is a game that first and foremost can be played both offline and online, so it’s a very high-quality story-driven single-player game. That being said, if you are online, it will also search for people you know, by whatever means it can, whether you give us access to your contacts list or your social media connections. We’ll search for people you know and automatically bring them into the purview of your game.”

“You will literally be able to see them walking around in the world with you. You don’t have to party. You don’t have to group. It just happens automatically. So it’s not exactly massively multiplayer. We’re not going to bother putting 10,000 people you don’t know on screen in front of you. But if we can’t find anybody you do know, we will put some people you don’t know on screen in front of you, so the world feels rich and full. But it’s in this interesting line. It’s not, strictly speaking, single-player, but definitely not massively multiplayer.”

I copied Smoove B's response from OO. It's quasi-multiplayer.

Patriotism means being loyal to your country all the time and to its government when it deserves it - Mark Twain

3ds friend code: 0001-3352-7186
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2013, 02:41:14 AM »

figured Ron would get a kick out of this:  a thread over in the Shroud of the Avatar forums about the Ultima Dragons.

Because I can,
Arnir

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2013, 05:46:30 PM »

Thanks, S.I.M. for the info. 

If the road home crosses any landscape features that include words like "forgotten," "void," "razorthorn," "shadowmist," or "doom," then I vote that we take a nap first.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2013, 09:21:19 PM »

Two Legends of Gaming join forces! International and New York Times Best-selling fantasy author Tracy Hickman is pleased to announce that he is joining Richard Garriott’s team as Lead Story Designer for ‘Shroud of the Avatar.’

“There is a tremendous opportunity to create something meaningful, challenging and wondrous in Shroud of the Avatar,” Tracy said. “I’m thrilled to play a part in it.”

"Tracy is not only a good friend, but also a master storycrafter whose writing I've greatly admired for over twenty years," says Richard Garriott. "Tracy’s talent will add a unique richness and depth to Shroud of the Avatar."

Tracy is known world-wide for creating the incredible worlds and stories of Dragonlance, the Deathgate Cycle, the Annals of Drakis and ‘Wayne of Gotham’. He, with his wife Laura, pioneered the use and integration of story into role playing games. He currently has over fifty books in print and is also a pioneer in the New Media publishing world of e-books and online serial publishing.

“Join us,” entices Tracy. “We’re taking adventure to a whole new realm.”

not sure how I feel about this.  I loved Dragonlance when I was growing up, but then again I haven't read it in at least a decade, plus Hickman wasn't the only writer for Chronicles or Legends.

at any rate, $904,738 so far.

Because I can,
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2013, 09:44:35 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on March 15, 2013, 09:21:19 PM

at any rate, $904,738 so far.

Yeah, it looks like they'll probably hit their goal with plenty of time to go, so I will be taking a wait and see approach.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2013, 02:38:23 PM »

stretch goals added:

$1.1 M     PET SYSTEM!

One word, "Pets!"  We're adding both social and combat pets which players can control using simple commands

$1.2 M     SEASONAL WEATHER!

Grab your cloak, because we're adding Weather to the game!

they also added a bunch of rewards to different tiers.

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2013, 12:36:28 AM »

huh, this just got pointed out to me:

Shroud of the Avatar map:

compared to:

I wonder if the similarities are intentional.

Because I can,
th'FOOL
Executive Producer and Editor-At-Large

Never whistle while you're pissing

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2013, 04:39:03 PM »

We were invited to the Portalarium offices during SXSW- check it out: http://gamingtrend.com/2013/03/19/richard-garriott-wants-to-bring-the-r-back-into-rpg/

Mike Dunn
Executive Producer & Managing Editor, GamingTrend
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2013, 04:48:47 PM »

Quote from: th'FOOL on March 20, 2013, 04:39:03 PM

We were invited to the Portalarium offices during SXSW- check it out: http://gamingtrend.com/2013/03/19/richard-garriott-wants-to-bring-the-r-back-into-rpg/

bowdown bowdown bowdown

I would have geeked out too much in the same situation.

[edit]  ugh, commercials poorly placed.  too bad they don't allow the people who made the video place them at logical points instead of having them interrupt things in mid-sentence.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2013, 04:58:09 PM by CeeKay » Logged

Because I can,
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2013, 10:35:03 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on March 20, 2013, 04:48:47 PM

Quote from: th'FOOL on March 20, 2013, 04:39:03 PM

bowdown bowdown bowdown

I would have geeked out too much in the same situation.

[edit]  ugh, commercials poorly placed.  too bad they don't allow the people who made the video place them at logical points instead of having them interrupt things in mid-sentence.

Agreed.  Both on the geeking and on the placement of commercials.  I'll send in a feature request to be able to place the commercials.  I'm very very excited for this.   

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2013, 10:44:56 PM »

I haven't been checking on this, but it seems he's trying to create a new and better Ultima Online, or is it single player as well?

Anyway, I can get behind this. Anyone got the heads up for us lazy folks that haven't been following this?
Suitably Ironic Moniker

WAKKA-WAKKA-WAKKA!!!

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 20, 2013, 10:49:22 PM »

It's more single than multi going off the info I posted earlier. The game will place people you know in the game with you, but otherwise, it'll just be you.

Patriotism means being loyal to your country all the time and to its government when it deserves it - Mark Twain

3ds friend code: 0001-3352-7186
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 24, 2013, 02:15:25 PM »

Pets has been unlocked.  next up is weather:

I do find it kind of odd that $1.3 million is Interactive Music Instruments; didn't they already show those in one of the videos?

they've also started taking Paypal payments through their main site.

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 29, 2013, 11:19:07 PM »

interesting update today:

Three Full Games Included in New $80 Royal Artisan Pledge!

Just as Richard Garriott conceived the original Ultimas as a Trilogy of Trilogies (Ultimas 1 thru 9), he has conceived Shroud of the Avatar as encompassing five, full-length games. Shroud of the Avatar: Forsaken Virtues is the first of this epic story, referred to as an Episode, with an estimated release date of October 2014. Forsaken Virtues will stand on its own as a full-length game, with at least 40+ hours of content (and probably much more).

Shroud of the Avatar: Episode 2, will be a second, full-length standalone sequel to Forsaken Virtues, released approximately one year after Forsaken Virtues. The remaining 3 episodes are planned to be released one per year, all as standalone games. They will utilize the same game engine, allowing players to migrate back and forth, traveling a continuum across all Episodes! Once released to the public, each Episode is expected to be priced as a full retail product!

To show our appreciation for early backers, we have added the new $80 Royal Artisan tier that not only includes the DRM-free, digital download version of Shroud of the Avatar: Forsaken Virtues (Episode 1), but ALSO includes the DRM-free, digital download versions of the next TWO, full-length, standalone games! Shroud of the Avatar Episode 2 and Episode 3 (including Beta access to Episodes 2 & 3)! In addition to getting all three games, this exciting new tier is chocked-full of exciting goodies. Check it out in more detail in Update #16!

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 04, 2013, 08:08:13 AM »

latest update:

Now you can get 5 Full Games at the $125 tier (and above)! In addition to Episodes 1, 2 and 3, we're including DRM-free, digital download versions of the final TWO, full-length, standalone games, Shroud of the Avatar Episode 4 and Episode 5 (including Beta access to Episodes 4 & 5)! That's a lot of games for only $125!!

of course if they are planning on doing Kickstarters for the other 4 episodes that may come back to bite them in the ass.  Between the official website and Kickstarter it's hit 1.4 million, so taming is unlocked.  I'll be surprised if they hit 1.5 though since things have definitely slowed down.

Because I can,
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: April 04, 2013, 04:33:09 PM »

I'm not sure that promising 5 games into the future is a really smart thing to do for any game developer.  Certainly not a good bet to invest in as a fan.   icon_confused

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 04, 2013, 05:34:05 PM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on April 04, 2013, 04:33:09 PM

Certainly not a good bet to invest in as a fan.   icon_confused

true, but I was already leaning towards the $125 level for the map and other goodies.  the extra games is really just icing.

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 06, 2013, 11:58:56 PM »

14 hours to go, and the combined totals have broke 1.6 million, so color me surprised.  too bad 1.8 million looks out of reach, the Underworld sounds cool.

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 07, 2013, 06:43:13 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on April 06, 2013, 11:58:56 PM

too bad 1.8 million looks out of reach, the Underworld sounds cool.

well damn, 1.8 mil.  2 mil definitely out of reach biggrin

Because I can,
MonkeyFinger

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 07, 2013, 01:19:44 PM »

Chicken dancing on the live feed.

-craig

PSx: MonkeyFinger
XBx: MonkeyPhinger
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 07, 2013, 05:34:07 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on April 07, 2013, 06:43:13 AM

heh, it worked.  2 mil hit!

Because I can,
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: April 08, 2013, 02:55:25 AM »

Quote from: CeeKay on April 07, 2013, 05:34:07 PM

Really?  The final tally that I see is 1.9.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 08, 2013, 03:17:37 AM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on April 08, 2013, 02:55:25 AM

Quote from: CeeKay on April 07, 2013, 05:34:07 PM

Really?  The final tally that I see is 1.9.

they were doing fundraising on the main site as well.  it's not reflected on the Kickstarter page except in the stretch goals graphic.

Because I can,
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 09, 2013, 09:58:34 PM »

the latest update had this:

Kickstarter Backers can Purchase/Upgrade Pledges at Initial Prices for One Year!

We took a cue from our buds over at Star Citizen and decided that those who pledged during our initial campaign (at $25 First Responder tier and above) will be able to purchase further tiers, or upgrade existing ones, at the same price they were available during the Kickstarter campaign (pending availability of limited tiers)! WooHoo!

New Tiers, Add-Ons, and the Layaway Plan!

We are currently designing the new tiers for brand new backers, and should have those available by end-of-day Sunday, April 14th, at the conclusion of our current one-week grace period. It is our intention for all Kickstarter backers to be able to purchase/upgrade to both the previous tiers (pending availability of limited tiers), and the new tiers, whereas new backers after April 14th will only have access to the new tiers.

We are just about ready to go live with a new version of our web store that includes add-ons that all backers can add to their pledges. Keep an eye out for that sometime later this week, or early next week.

Also, we received many requests by people that wanted to purchase the more expensive tiers but couldn't afford to pay it all at once. We are working on a plan that will allow monthly payments towards tier purchases. The total cost of a tier paid for monthly may be higher than paying all at once, but we're still working out the details. You'll hear more about this in a future update.

Because I can,
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: April 10, 2013, 01:14:41 AM »

Wait, now they're having layaway plans for games that haven't even released yet?  Tongue

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: