http://gamingtrend.com
September 01, 2014, 09:44:42 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Looks like I'm buying the Xbox360 Core System...  (Read 2458 times)
rrmorton
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: November 18, 2005, 07:30:49 PM »

I thought I was hardcore but apparently I'm a soccer Mom.

I had the premium version preordered but Gamestop is telling me I won't get it on launch day and I might not get it until after Christmas. So for the last 24 hours I've been flirting with the idea of pulling an all-nighter in line at Circuit City. But I really really REALLY don't want to do that. I want to go to bed and sleep like a normal human being.

Today I asked the manager at my Gamestop if there was any way he could hook me up with a system on launch night. He said the best he could do was that he was getting 6 core systems and only 4 were reserved so I could have one of those.

So basically I had to decide how much money a good night's sleep was worth to me. In addition to the core system, I have to buy the hard drive for $100, a wireless controller for $50, and a headset for $20. That's about $70 over the $400 premium system I had already paid in full. And I can always use the corded controller with my PC or for two-player gaming so that part isn't too painful. I decided to go this route so now I can be up and running late Monday night.

I'm just glad I'll have a new Xbox 360 by the weekend of Dec 2-4. The wife and daughter are going out of town so it's a bachelor gamefest nacho junkfood weekend for me.

Right move? Retardo? You make the call.
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2005, 07:38:25 PM »

Hell, it's what I would do if I was in your shoes...good call. It's better than having nothing until after Christmas.

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2005, 07:38:48 PM »

I think it is a bit retardo but it is only a bit more money.  

What are the odds that the store will have more shipments by Dec. 2-4?  Missing out on launch day is a bummer but is it worth the extra money?

-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2005, 07:46:24 PM »

Retardo.  You're a big boy, be patient.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2005, 07:48:49 PM »

Right move.  Your grown. Your Money.  You only live once

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2005, 07:50:38 PM »

Quote from: "-Lord Ebonstone-"
Retardo.  You're a big boy, be patient.

If you've got the money, why be patient?

No way in hell would I wait months, but that is cause I've got the money to get it. If I was a broke college student, then yeah I would wait, just cause I had no other choice....but luckily I am not anymore.

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
Captain Caveman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2005, 07:51:03 PM »

Assuming $70 more isn't going to take food off of Amelia's plate, I can see how the extra-cost could be worth the hassle of trying to procure a premium unit at launch. But to be honest, you probably aren't going to get much sleep that night anyway. smile
farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2005, 07:51:56 PM »

Quote from: "Hetz"
Hell, it's what I would do if I was in your shoes...good call. It's better than having nothing until after Christmas.

I wonder how had it will be to find core systems though.  Yes there is a shortage but will that be both systems?

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2005, 08:43:36 PM »

Quote from: "farley2k"
What are the odds that the store will have more shipments by Dec. 2-4?  Missing out on launch day is a bummer but is it worth the extra money?

Judging by the reaction online to Gamestop's phone calls yesterday I'm betting a lot of people will be cancelling their preorders.  Which means there is a decent chance that those who remain on it might find themselves getting bumped up in line quite a bit.
markus
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2005, 08:47:54 PM »

Quote from: "farley2k"
Quote from: "Hetz"

I wonder how had it will be to find core systems though.  Yes there is a shortage but will that be both systems?

I was just wondering the same thing.  If all else fails will the core option be available?  I say on day one, yes, but probably not after that because desperate people will give in and snatch up the cores.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2005, 08:50:37 PM »

Quote from: "markus"
I was just wondering the same thing.  If all else fails will the core option be available?  I say on day one, yes, but probably not after that because desperate people will give in and snatch up the cores.

As of last Saturday, my Gamestop had zero preorders on the core system.

However I'd imagine that many people are doing the same evaluation as Rob right now and will come to the same conclusion.  If GS's have any core's available now I wouldn't expect that to be the case on Tuesday.

The same applies to big box stores- I expect desperate parents to jump on the core system if that's their only option.
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2005, 09:40:38 PM »

I wouldn't want to be stuck with an icky wired controller. Gross.  :wink:

More than that, I hate the concept behind the stripped-down core system, so I'd also shun it out of principle.

But then I don't have any cash to buy either package, so who am I to even offer an opinion?

Now Playing: GTA - San Andreas [PS2]
Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2005, 11:28:38 PM »

Quote from: "rrmorton"

I had the premium version preordered but Gamestop is telling me I won't get it on launch day and I might not get it until after Christmas. So for the last 24 hours I've been flirting with the idea of pulling an all-nighter in line at Circuit City. But I really really REALLY don't want to do that. I want to go to bed and sleep like a normal human being.

Today I asked the manager at my Gamestop if there was any way he could hook me up with a system on launch night. He said the best he could do was that he was getting 6 core systems and only 4 were reserved so I could have one of those.

So basically I had to decide how much money a good night's sleep was worth to me. In addition to the core system, I have to buy the hard drive for $100, a wireless controller for $50, and a headset for $20. That's about $70 over the $400 premium system I had already paid in full. And I can always use the corded controller with my PC or for two-player gaming so that part isn't too painful. I decided to go this route so now I can be up and running late Monday night.

I'm just glad I'll have a new Xbox 360 by the weekend of Dec 2-4. The wife and daughter are going out of town so it's a bachelor gamefest nacho junkfood weekend for me.

Right move? Retardo? You make the call.

I would have just waited.  You pretty much just threw away $250 in accessories just to have it on day 1
rrmorton

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2005, 01:08:18 AM »

You should sue your arithmetic teacher, Ken. They done you wrong.
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2005, 03:02:49 AM »

And apparently, reading comprehension.  YOU DID THE MATH FOR HIM.

Anyway, you made the right call Robbie... it's what I would have done.

gellar
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2005, 04:03:52 AM »

thumbsup opportunity cost

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2005, 04:13:45 AM »

Another thing, I sure as hell would stay up late for $70.

What I'd do in your situation, Rob, (assuming I had the money to do this and, ya know, interest in acquiring an XB360), was go pay for the $470 Core+Expansion stuff in full at Gamestop, have it on hold for you, but then camp out at CC and try to get one of the ungimp versions.  If you can, great, just cancel your preorder at GS and get your money back.  If you can't, yeah, you lose sleep and don't get anything out of it, but you still have your stuff from GS reserved in your name.

I mean, it's freakin' $70.  I see it as a choice between just the Real360 and the Real360 + a free game.  Make the smart choice.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Lee

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2005, 04:48:12 AM »

Quote from: "gellar"

And apparently, reading comprehension.  YOU DID THE MATH FOR HIM.

He did? Where?
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2005, 06:04:41 AM »

I manage a GameStop and was seriously considering letting someone else have my system and taking a core instead.  I even figured it out that I would be saving $35 that way and the only negative would be the wired controller, which really isn't a negative since I'm plugging my 360 into my 19" LCD monitor.  Then I went to work today and found out the stupid hard drive is apparently even rarer than the stupid systems themselves.  Now it's very clear we won't get one by launch (GameStop hasn't even shipped them to stores).  

What I'm saying is that settling for the core and thinking you'll just use the $100 for a hard drive might not be as easy as it seems.

Roger: And you should know, I have no genitals.
Syndey: That's alright.  I have both.

- American Dad
naednek
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2005, 07:07:00 AM »

That's what happens when you read gamepro Tongue  I swear I've read in different magazines they said the premium version has over $270 in accessories.  

Anyways,  wasn't trying to rain on your parade.  I'm feeling the hype myself, but I don't have two things, the money, and a HDTV frown
phormio
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2005, 09:34:19 AM »

That circumstance pretty much mandates that you do what you did.

My tenses may be off, but you get my drift.

"My fake plants died because I did not pretend to water them." --Mitch Hedberg
rrmorton

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2005, 12:16:10 AM »

I'm still sifting through all these annoying extras they try to sell you. It's outrageous all the extra crap they're unloading with this system.

Does anyone know what the hell is going on with the wireless controller battery charger? How does this work? I was all set to buy a rechargeable battery pack but then I discovered I also had to buy some kind of charging cable that was sold separately? Unless I had that wrong, that seemed like total BS and I'd rather give Duracell those dollars.

Of course, it all depends how long regular AA batteries last in the new Xbox 360 wireless controllers. Anyone know? Regular AA batteries last forever in my Gamecube Wavebirds (of course, that's cuz there aren't enough Gamecube games that need playing) but the Wavebird doesn't vibrate so I bet it burns through batteries much faster.

I don't need to buy the fancy $40 cables until I get an HDTV (hopefully some time next year).

Not getting a hard drive right away would suck. I have to save my games and I'm not buying a memory card. Hopefully they'll have a hard drive for me tomorrow night.

At least I have all the games I want already purchased and ready to go:
Need for Speed Most Wanted
Condemned
Perfect Dark Zero
Kameo
Call of Duty 2
Project Gotham Racing 3
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2005, 05:34:23 AM »

First of all, I just love that statement, lol!

And about the wireless controllers, can't you just use NiMH batteries and chargers?  I have two chargers and about 10 -12  batteries, due to all the optical mouses (mice?), controllers, digital cameras,  and bright little flashlights that we have - I would just use those... I hope... right?  :?

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!"
- I don't remember who said it, and probably neither do they...
Sarkus

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2005, 07:17:49 AM »

I'm still sifting through all these annoying extras they try to sell you. It's outrageous all the extra crap they're unloading with this system.

Does anyone know what the hell is going on with the wireless controller battery charger? How does this work? I was all set to buy a rechargeable battery pack but then I discovered I also had to buy some kind of charging cable that was sold separately? Unless I had that wrong, that seemed like total BS and I'd rather give Duracell those dollars.

For $20 you get a rechargeable battery and a cable that lets you plug it into your 360.  It'll charge while you play or you can leave it there to recharge the battery when you aren't playing.  I think it's a pretty cool option.  You can also buy the battery pack by itself for $12.  That way you can have multiple wireless controllers with battery packs and only have to pay for one recharge cable.

Roger: And you should know, I have no genitals.
Syndey: That's alright.  I have both.

- American Dad
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 21, 2005, 07:58:33 AM »

So, instead of being plugged into the console itself, your wireless controller plugs into the wall socket. So your controller is connected to something other than the console. So you're basically playing the wall, and stuff coincidentally happens on your television at the same time. Cool. Technology rules.

Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 21, 2005, 02:13:44 PM »

Dafones, the cable plugs into the 360 and draws power over the USB connection. It doesn't plug into the wall.
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 21, 2005, 05:38:26 PM »

I was, ya know, kind of joking, I guess. Just find it somewhat ironic that you still have to plug in your wireless controller if you want to recharge it. But that's even better - you plug the controller into the 360 itself, and at a casual glance, how could you even tell it was wireless?

Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
rrmorton

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 21, 2005, 06:58:31 PM »

Thanks for the explanation. I picked up a wireless controller and the combo package that includes the battery pack and little charging cable.

Now all I need is for my hard drive to arrive today. Sarkus has me worried I won't get one tonight and that would suck. I'm pretty sure I'm first in line to get the hard drive set aside for me so all they need to get is one lousy hard drive.

Woo hoo! Xbox 360 day! What game should I load up first?
unbreakable
« Reply #28 on: November 21, 2005, 07:14:52 PM »

Dude, seriously, your avatar is really grossing me out
Soulchilde

You and I have unfinished business

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 21, 2005, 07:46:36 PM »

Woo hoo! Xbox 360 day! What game should I load up first?

Get yourself set up for Live tonight as I am sure the servers will be hammered late tomorrow.  The sooner the better.  Next send out the friends request.  Then load up Kameo to marvel at the visuals and play around abit.  Next load of COD2 and play that!    

We should all get together for some COD2 deathmatch or coop Gauntlet

Quote from: Devil on January 12, 2007, 01:14:38 AM

NiM$
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: