http://gamingtrend.com
September 01, 2014, 01:05:09 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Looking for Wii adventure/detective game suggestions  (Read 805 times)
El-Producto
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: February 04, 2009, 05:14:58 PM »

Looking for suggestions of Wii games to play alongside my 7 and 9 year old daughters.  Don't have to actually be multiplayer, but games that have puzzles, quests to solve like a mystery/detective story.  Are the Nancy Drew games on Wii?

"Goonies never say die"
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2009, 06:43:39 PM »

There is at least one Nancy Drew game on the Wii - "White Wolf" something - I assume you mean to play the single-player game together, right?  There is no multi-player on it, but this is the kind of game that you'd likely all enjoy solving puzzles in together.  I considered this one before I went on my rampage of JRPG's and never got it.  I think it got moderately good, but not spectacular, reviews.

I've played one of the ND games for a handheld, I think it was a pre-DS version.  I found it to be quite engaging - but after awhile it made me feel like a dope, especially in those puzzles that you actually solve and then go "Well, yeah - duh!"  Maybe the Wii game will easier - or your kids are smarter than I am?  Both are possible.   Roll Eyes

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!"
- I don't remember who said it, and probably neither do they...
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2009, 06:47:47 PM »

They have ported Nancy Drew: The White Wolf game to the Wii, and I thought I heard they were porting more (I'd be surprised if they weren't).

My sister and her family (daughter of 9, son of 6) enjoyed playing Zack and Wiki as a family.  It is a great game, but can be a bit difficult with no adult help (and even a few stumpers with help).  

I like Sam & Max, but its humor might not be appreciated by young'uns.  Games I haven't played that you might also check into Lost in Blue, Escape the Museum, Disney Princess: Enchanted Journey (eek).  They also have the forthcoming Cate West: The Vanishing Files and Broken Sword games in March or so.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
sgoldj
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2009, 06:50:57 PM »

I've seen a few adventure games on the Wii, not sure about the appropriate level for a 7 and 9 year old though.  Have you tried Lego Star Wars?

I know there is the Harvy Birdman game; at least two Agatha Christie adventures (And Then There Were None Evil Under the Sun); Zach and Wiki might fit the bill...

I'm waiting on the "Broken Sword" director's cut to come out
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2009, 07:04:20 PM »

What about the Homestar Runner point'n'click adventure games?  I only played a short ways into the first episode, but it seems like it wouldn't be inappropriate for that age group.  Humor and presentation might appeal to them.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2009, 07:24:10 PM »

Quote from: wonderpug on February 04, 2009, 07:04:20 PM

What about the Homestar Runner point'n'click adventure games?  I only played a short ways into the first episode, but it seems like it wouldn't be inappropriate for that age group.  Humor and presentation might appeal to them.

I forgot about those since they are Wii-ware download titles.  I've played them on the PC and they are pretty good and wouldn't be too inappropriate.  I'm not sure if the humor would work for that age group, but it might.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2009, 08:18:38 PM »

The only problem with the Agatha Cristie games, though, is that they are rated "T" - one for "Mild Violence," and the other for "Mild Violence, Drug Reference, and Mild Language."  Even if it wasn't too bad, Dad would probably have to play it some by himself or do some serious research.

That said, I looked at all 21 screenshots on EB for "And Then There None" - and I didn't see a single drop of blood, so maybe it's all in the dialogue, or maybe it's not bad at all.  The "Evil Under the Sun" game only had 5 screenshots, not enough to judge, though the box art was more "T" - ish than the first one.  icon_confused

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!"
- I don't remember who said it, and probably neither do they...
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2009, 01:21:53 AM »

Freddie Fish, Spy Fox, and Pajama Sam are all on Wii.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2009, 06:08:24 AM »

I've been playing Nancy Drew: White Wolf of Icicle Creek with my 9 year old daughter and there hasn't really been anything that wasn't appropriate; the ESRB is E (Mild Violence). It definitely fits the bill as an adventure and detective based story. Although it's far from the best adventure game I've played on a console, I do feel it's been somewhat underrated. IGN gave it a 7.5 and I'd be comfortable giving it a similar score.

If they're looking for more action, without a doubt LoZ TP, Lego SW and Zak & Wiki are the best Wii adventure games I've played yet. I also think that TP's Teen rating is a bit steep; I'd personally be comfortable labeling it an E-10 game.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2009, 06:10:15 AM by kronovan » Logged
Shkspr
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2009, 06:55:08 AM »

Quote from: mytocles on February 04, 2009, 08:18:38 PM

The only problem with the Agatha Cristie games, though, is that they are rated "T" - one for "Mild Violence," and the other for "Mild Violence, Drug Reference, and Mild Language."  Even if it wasn't too bad, Dad would probably have to play it some by himself or do some serious research.

Mild Violence:  Both games involve murders, though with an Agatha Christie murder they are guaranteed to be very genteel.  I *think* all you see are crumpled figures on the ground, though in Orient Express there might be a still drawing of a gun discharging.

Drug Reference: In general, this is very likely to be the existence in the game of wine bottle, cigarette cases, and such.  It is not impossible that one of the characters in the game is mentioned in passing dialogue as having an addiction of some sort, but I can't remember fully.

Mild Language:  Par for the Christie canon.  Expect to hear "hell" and "damn(ed)" without reference to God, and I do not believe there is any word more vulgar.  Perhaps a reference to someone being a bastard (the out of wedlock kind).

Again, it's been a while since I played both games, but even if I'm misremembering some of the specifics, that is the general level of the adult references in the games.
El-Producto

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2009, 02:08:44 PM »

Quote from: kronovan on February 05, 2009, 06:08:24 AM

I've been playing Nancy Drew: White Wolf of Icicle Creek with my 9 year old daughter and there hasn't really been anything that wasn't appropriate; the ESRB is E (Mild Violence). It definitely fits the bill as an adventure and detective based story. Although it's far from the best adventure game I've played on a console, I do feel it's been somewhat underrated. IGN gave it a 7.5 and I'd be comfortable giving it a similar score.

If they're looking for more action, without a doubt LoZ TP, Lego SW and Zak & Wiki are the best Wii adventure games I've played yet. I also think that TP's Teen rating is a bit steep; I'd personally be comfortable labeling it an E-10 game.

I think I'm going to give it a try.. rental at least.  She loves mysteries and the supernatural.  How exactly are you playing it with her.. do you let her control and help with puzzles?

"Goonies never say die"
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: