http://gamingtrend.com
November 25, 2014, 10:11:22 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Looking for an Oblivion mod to fix the NPC leveling issue  (Read 3232 times)
Darkstar One
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« on: November 16, 2011, 09:22:30 PM »

All I want to do is fic the NPC leveling BS, where if I don't level my character up perfectly I'm facing insanely powerful monsters in random dungeons/caves.

Is there a mod that ONLY takes care of that issue--keeping the monsters from leveling up insanely as you go--while leaving everything else alone?
hepcat
Gaming Trend Senior Member

I'M the one that knocks! Now...burp me!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2011, 09:31:12 PM »

The best mod I can think of is called Skyrim.

Warning:  You will see my penis. -Brian

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2011, 09:37:36 PM »

The level scaling in Oblivion ends up causing a butterfly effect if removed. You're better off installing a mod that goes into more depth with its changes and that has been tested extensively, such as Oscuro's Oblivion Overhaul. Here's the main blurb for that mod:

You must be prepared to cast aside your previous notions about Cyrodiil. The world no longer revolves around you, the player. Do not expect to be able to beat every monster or NPC you meet. Previously familiar areas may now be much more dangerous and you will frequently be forced to retreat from enemies who are too powerful to beat until you are stronger. You will probably die a lot more often now. However, if you have the ingenuity, skill, and luck to survive the odds stacked against you then you will be justly rewarded for your bravery!

If you ask me, that sounds exactly like what you want, at least considering that you can either attempt the difficult content right away, or leave it until your level is higher. smile
Darkstar One
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2011, 10:02:12 PM »

What do you mean by a butterfly effect?  I've tried OOO--I don't like the story additions it makes.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2011, 10:11:21 PM »

OOO has story additions? I know it has a few extra quests, but those are optional.

Butterfly effect means changing one thing can lead to unexpected results in seemingly unrelated parts of the game. I can't put my finger on any specifics, but mods like OOO don't just chance so much of the game just because they can. They do it because so much of Oblivion depends upon the level scaling that the entire thing needs rebalancing (and in some cases rethinking) in order to work properly and be fun.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2011, 11:15:58 PM »

I recommend OOO as well (or as jokingly suggested, Skyrim), as it drastically increased how long it took before I felt vastly overpowered over the mobs (unlike core Oblivion).

Get OOO, ignore any story suggestions it makes (of which there are very few), and enjoy.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2011, 12:34:42 AM »

I only own ever bought the 360 version and I wish there had been a 3rd party option like OOO. I always had to reload and adjust the difficulty slider whenever I ran into this problem, which actually worked decently, albeit it was a bit of a nuisance.   icon_confused
greeneggsnham
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2011, 02:17:06 AM »

Are there any other must have mods alongside OOO, or is OOO a good one stop shop for modding? 
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2011, 06:10:02 AM »

When I replayed Oblivion recently, OOO was the only gameplay-changing mod I used, but I also used a ton of graphics and sound mods. There are step-by-step instructions for how to maximize the Oblivion experience elsewhere, but I don't have the time to look for them right now.
Warfran
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2011, 04:46:01 PM »

I just repurchased Oblivion on the Steam sale and looked for a leveling mod, the one that came up most on Search is-Francesco's leveled creatures/items mod picked it up at Planet Elder Scrolls-http://planetelderscrolls.gamespy.com/View.php?view=oblivionmods.Detail&id=268 works good so far.
Scuzz

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2011, 10:14:05 PM »

QT3 has a thread which features an installer leading you (I believe) to just about everything you would ever want for Oblivion.

I just bought Oblivion and am thinking of going that route. Although the purist in me says I should give vanilla Oblivion a chance.
TiLT

Preaching to the choir

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2011, 10:19:46 PM »

Quote from: Scuzz on November 17, 2011, 10:14:05 PM

Although the purist in me says I should give vanilla Oblivion a chance.

Abandon the thought! Vanilla Oblivion deserves no such chance.
morlac

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2011, 10:41:07 PM »

Quote from: Scuzz on November 17, 2011, 10:14:05 PM

QT3 has a thread which features an installer leading you (I believe) to just about everything you would ever want for Oblivion.

I just bought Oblivion and am thinking of going that route. Although the purist in me says I should give vanilla Oblivion a chance.

I tried this last weekend and ran into issues.   A few things didn't install and the game crashed at the splash screen.  He did just update it yesterday I think though to address the missing items. 

http://www.quartertothree.com/game-talk/showthread.php?t=55303&highlight=oblivion+mods

Here's the readme, not as painful as it seems.

http://www.hronk.com/jmromp/Readme.html

morlac00 on PSN
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2011, 02:54:05 PM »

That's pretty awesome morlac - is there anything similar for Fallout 3 & New Vegas?
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2011, 06:11:00 PM »

Sweet!  Thanks a lot, Morlac!

Just remember: once a user figures out gluten noting them they're allowed to make fun of you. - Ceekay speaking in tongues.
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2011, 06:14:48 PM »

Very cool.  Since I'm having so much fun in Skyrim I just picked up Oblivion for the first time when it was on sale on Steam.  Hopefully with this mod tool I can make it not a totally depressing step backwards.  slywink

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Fuzzballx

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2011, 07:04:59 PM »

I'd like to delete oblivious from my steam library if i could at this point...the sheer amount of pain and effort that has gone into setting up modded oblivious a couple times is just...insane...and utterly not worth it when it really only gets a game as good as vanilla skyrim at this point imho.

Skyrim, on the other hand, isn't gonna need that many mods to be totally awesome, imho.

One good overhaul of the leveling / scaling system should do the trick and then whatever queer stuff you want to add:)

Seriously, the only big letdown of the game for me is the the big selling point of the game...the dragons...they're a big LOL...cause they're about the weakest easiest to kill things in the game that wouldn't qualify as trash mobs.  There's nothing epic about them unless you just stand around watching them light a town on fire while landing on roofs and sending town folk screaming....

They're so rediculously easy to kill with epic bad scripting/AI and horrifyingly low damage output they're just silly.

But the reason for modding obvious was the whole package sucked, not just the level system.  So you had to pretty much mod everything to be like skyrim already is.

I just can't fathom playin oblivious again anymore...the thought of the effort required to even do that big "prefab" install and maintain it and play a game that's gonna crash on you a lot is just...enough to make me want to scream.

I loved modded oblivion, until skyrim was released....now i hate modded oblvious with a passion.

I'm stunned you guys still want to get oblivion NOW, after skyrim is out, and start going through the oblivious mod pain...stunned:P  I can't think of one good reason to play modded oblvion over skyrim personally.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2011, 07:07:32 PM by Fuzzballx » Logged
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2011, 07:12:07 PM »

Wait, you edited your post and it still came out like that?   Tongue

Quote from: Fuzzballx on November 18, 2011, 07:04:59 PM

I'm stunned you guys still want to get oblivion NOW, after skyrim is out, and start going through the oblivious mod pain...stunned:P  I can't think of one good reason to play modded oblvion over skyrim personally.

For me it isn't the fact that I would rather play Oblivion over Skyrim, it's that I am enjoying Skyrim so much that I might like to go back and play Oblivion with some updates when I am done with Skyrim.  I never played it the first time around, and there are so many graphics and gameplay improving mods that it seems like I could find an enjoyable experience there.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
hepcat

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2011, 07:37:20 PM »

Skyrim, on the other hand, isn't gonna need that many mods to be totally awesome, imho.

This will not stop the game from getting as many mods as Oblivion eventually.   icon_wink

While I love Skyrim, I do think there's some room for improvement still in level scaling, as well as perhaps a bit more refinement in combat.  Right now, it's lacking the finesse of a game like Dark Souls that makes the combat actually something to look forward to.

morlac

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2011, 02:53:01 PM »

I'm stunned you guys still want to get oblivion NOW, after skyrim is out, and start going through the oblivious mod pain...stunned:P  I can't think of one good reason to play modded oblvion over skyrim personally.

I was going to hold off on Skyrim until it got some mods and had decided to reinstall Oblivion for  the time being.  Modding it is a game on to itself! Of course after reading a fiull weekend of Skyrim post last week I caved and bought it.  Still I am determined to actually finish oblivion and will after Skyrim....hopefully.

morlac00 on PSN
morlac

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2011, 03:00:17 PM »

Quote from: Laner on November 18, 2011, 02:54:05 PM

That's pretty awesome morlac - is there anything similar for Fallout 3 & New Vegas?

Believe it or not yes!

Jason is the mad genius of modding.....

http://www.quartertothree.com/game-talk/showthread.php?t=62289&highlight=fallout+mods
readme:
http://www.hronk.com/jmfmp/Readme.html

Not quite as expansive as oblivion but it is sweet none the less.

However, he has not done one for Fallout NV.

morlac00 on PSN
Hamsterball_Z
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2011, 03:35:55 PM »

You could try Tamriel Immersion Experience.  Everything is non-leveled, NPCs and loot, if that's what you're looking for.   Just one 3MB .esp so it's no effort to install.

(HBZ)
Qantaga

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2011, 03:38:01 PM »

Quote from: hepcat on November 18, 2011, 07:37:20 PM

a bit more refinement in combat.  Right now, it's lacking the finesse of a game like Dark Souls that makes the combat actually something to look forward to.

I am absolutely loving Skyrim. I'm at level 21 and feel like I've barely scratched the surface of the game.

However, I agree that combat is a letdown after Dark Souls. It's not detracting from my overall game experience at all, but I do wish it were a tighter system.

For example, I have light armor, with the perk that lets it weigh nothing, but my maneuverability (while certainly adequate for Skyrim) feels like a big step down from what I have in Demons'/Dark Souls.

Xbox Live: Sukaro
PSN: Suroka

Until I die I'll sing these songs on the shores of Babylon
Still looking for a home in a world where I belong

~Switchfoot
godhugh

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 19, 2011, 04:49:10 PM »

Quote from: Hamsterball_Z on November 19, 2011, 03:35:55 PM

You could try Tamriel Immersion Experience.  Everything is non-leveled, NPCs and loot, if that's what you're looking for.   Just one 3MB .esp so it's no effort to install.

Yeah, TIE may be just what you're looking for. It only uses stock assets, but it completely removes the leveling and really gives the game a Thief-like feel. It's a good deal more difficult but it's a ton of fun, especially if you like playing rogues.
morlac

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 20, 2011, 03:19:13 PM »

Quote from: morlac on November 19, 2011, 03:00:17 PM

Quote from: Laner on November 18, 2011, 02:54:05 PM

Believe it or not yes!

Jason is the mad genius of modding.....

http://www.quartertothree.com/game-talk/showthread.php?t=62289&highlight=fallout+mods
readme:
http://www.hronk.com/jmfmp/Readme.html

Not quite as expansive as oblivion but it is sweet none the less.

However, he has not done one for Fallout NV.

I stand corrected.

FO:NV
http://www.quartertothree.com/game-talk/showthread.php?t=65955
readme:
http://www.hronk.com/jmfnvmp/Readme.html

morlac00 on PSN
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: