http://gamingtrend.com
April 25, 2014, 08:42:34 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: lol, PS3 hacked.  (Read 3266 times)
WinoMcCougarstein
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: November 24, 2006, 06:12:55 AM »

Not happening on the Xbox360 due to not allowing linux on the system...
Tonight CJPC had some freetime and decided to install Linux Fedora Core 5 (PPC iSO) along with PS3 Other OS Installer and the kboot from the CELL-Linux-CL_20061110-ADDON.iso file. Once installed, he logged into the shell and dumped the Extended OS Area (which resulted in 4.0 MB (4,194,304 bytes) by using: dd if=/dev/sdb of=/extendedos.img

Next up, CJPC connected his external USB HDD to his PS3 (since he only has a 20GB stock PS3 HDD) and just (6) days after launch proceeded to dump (read "back-up" to $ony) his Madden NFL 07 PS3 Blu-ray Game Disc (the resulting iSO image is only 7.08 GB (7,597,719,552 bytes)) via the following: dd if=/dev/cdrom of=/mnt/exthdd/imagename.img 

If you happen to own a 60GB PS3, you can use this command instead to dump directly to your PS3's HDD: dd if=/dev/cdrom of=/imagename.img

So it looks like you can already dump PS3 games onto the PS3 HD and I doubt it will be long before a luancher shows up.  What will this do to the PS3 in the long run?  Hard to say right now.  Looks like in the future though it will be easy to rent a game and back it up on the HD.

Shkspr
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2006, 08:02:36 AM »

Quote from: GatorFavre on November 24, 2006, 06:12:55 AM

What will this do to the PS3 in the long run? 

Easy.  Someone will create a ScummVM interface that appears on bootup, and everyone will salivate at the idea of playing The Dig in HD.  Then people will bitch about there not being any good games for the PS3 because they have to give up their homebrew Tetris clones to download the OS patch that enables Grand Theft Auto IV.
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2006, 11:58:13 AM »

What will this do to the PS3 in the long run?  Hard to say right now.

This just cemented Sony being #1 this generation.

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2006, 01:18:49 PM »

Quote from: Hetz on November 24, 2006, 11:58:13 AM

Wow.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2006, 01:35:09 PM »

The problem is that the easy piracy (as long as you didn't/still can get to 1.5) of the PSP didn't do a damn thing as far as sales went. Or maybe they did - they just sold systems (ones that could still be downgraded) and not games.

So, let the dumping of games start the road to easy piracy of the system. Sony - it's your move.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2006, 01:48:00 PM »

Yes they will sell plenty of consoles at a loss.  The games on the other hand...

Did anyone not see this coming?  I'm just surprised it took them this long. 

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
warning

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2006, 02:02:55 PM »

So will they gradually remove this "feature" with firmware updates?  Will new games require the updated firmware leading to a split between those who bought the PS3 to play homebrew/pirate games and those who want to play the newer games?

This all sounds oddly familiar.
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2006, 02:08:03 PM »

I'm not quite sure if it is the same situation as the PSP though.  Since the PS3 is acutally booting to Linux to access the images I'm not sure if a firmware update would help unless they stopped allowing people to create seperate Linux partitions.

WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2006, 02:28:54 PM »

Just like the PSP and Dreamcast.  I think initially it may help Sony sell systems, but if developers dont make any money on software I dont think they will keep making games.

jblank

Always Outnumbered, Never Outgunned

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2006, 02:32:42 PM »

That's a bit of a stretch considering maybe only a few percent of their potential customers can or would, do that.

XBOX 350 Gamertag = Phobos of Mars
PSN Gamertag = PhobosofMars
WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2006, 02:38:11 PM »

Quote from: jblank on November 24, 2006, 02:32:42 PM

That's a bit of a stretch considering maybe only a few percent of their potential customers can or would, do that.

Dont worry, I'm going to hand out fliers!   ninja

ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2006, 02:43:09 PM »

Not happening on the Xbox360 due to not allowing linux on the system...

What does this mean?  Hasn't the 360 been hacked?  If not is that because the 360 is super locked down software wise?

I'm not sure if this is sarcasm or not.

Can someone explain why this would be so (other than the ability to steal games)?

I know nothing about hacking systems or why someone (legitimate) would want to do it...
adamsappel
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2006, 03:02:02 PM »

I'm not sure of the mechanics of it, but there is a way to run unsigned code on the 360. I don't think you can take it online due to forced updates that correct the loophole, and I imagine it only works for a few early titles.

Xbox Live Gamertag: adamsappel
jblank

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2006, 03:08:53 PM »

Quote from: GatorFavre on November 24, 2006, 02:38:11 PM

Quote from: jblank on November 24, 2006, 02:32:42 PM

Dont worry, I'm going to hand out fliers!   ninja

icon_lol I almost spewed my drink.

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2006, 03:27:43 PM »

wow, if Sony doesn't find a way to combat this game devs will start losing money big time.  They'll probably stop developing for a non profitable system, and turn to the 360 for their AAA titles.

Sweet for 360 owners, not so much for PS3'ers.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2006, 03:37:05 PM »

Quote from: GatorFavre on November 24, 2006, 02:28:54 PM

Just like the PSP and Dreamcast.  I think initially it may help Sony sell systems, but if developers dont make any money on software I dont think they will keep making games.

The Dreamcast didn't work because it was behind the curve with the games. People really didn't have that much to copy, so it didn't win. The PSP, well that is nowhere as easy to pirate as the Dreamcast was. You have to use a certain firmware version (which means you can't play the newest games), then you have to use memory cards, since there is no way to copy a UMD. Most people just can't be bothered.

If the PS3 is easy to copy games on, then that will really fuel sales of the system. It may only help for a little while, but that is all Sony will need. Once lots of people start buying it, than the stigma that currently surrounds it will go away. It will help Sony with a much larger install base and will help them win the Blu-Ray vs HD-DVD battle, which they have a ton riding on.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2006, 05:18:59 PM by Hetz » Logged

Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2006, 03:38:26 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on November 24, 2006, 03:27:43 PM

wow, if Sony doesn't find a way to combat this game devs will start losing money big time.  They'll probably stop developing for a non profitable system, and turn to the 360 for their AAA titles.

Yeah, just like they abandoned the PS2, didn't they....   Roll Eyes

The PS2 was trivial to make 'backup' copies run on.

jblank

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2006, 03:42:19 PM »

Quote from: Hetz on November 24, 2006, 03:38:26 PM

Quote from: CeeKay on November 24, 2006, 03:27:43 PM

Yeah, just like they abandoned the PS2, didn't they....   Roll Eyes

The PS2 was trivial to make 'backup' copies run on.

No reason to get defensive Hetz, that was a good point he made. I dare say the PS3 will be hard pressed to have the clout the PS2 had. The differences between 2000-2002 and 2006-2008, are huge, and piracy is a legitimate threat to these companies. Not to mention, the 360 and Wii are sitting there, will have a good user base (maybe more than the PS3 initially, the 360 definitely will) and are easier to make games for.

denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2006, 04:06:41 PM »

As long as there are consoles people will figure out a way to pirate the games for them.  My biggest worry is multiplayer cheating.  I'm pretty sure the reason Microsoft has not, and never will put a browser on the 360 is due to online gaming being compromised.  In my opinion online play on the PS3 could be ruined by map hacks, aimbots, etc.  I stopped playing online on the PC because of some of that stuff.  I don't want it on consoles too.  I may be in the minority, but I want my console locked up tighter than Tom Thumb's azz.  I don't agree with Microsoft on alot of things.  But I do on that issue.

unbreakable
« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2006, 04:43:23 PM »

LOL, that was my thought as well.  If their games are easily pirated, they are going to get a big boost in console sales.  Just like the PS1 and PS2.

Not so sure that situation will benefit Sony monetarily, however, seeing how they are losing a lot of money with each console sold.

Seriously, though, even WITH piracy, the mass market may still consider $600 too much to spend for a console.
Kobra

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2006, 04:58:41 PM »

I think DS sales are party driven by the fact any monkey can download roms and run them for about $50 worth of extra gear. So the idea has merit.

All truth goes through three stages: first it is ridiculed: then it is
violently opposed: finally it is accepted as self evident. - Schopenhauer
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2006, 05:55:13 PM »

Quote from: Kobra on November 24, 2006, 04:58:41 PM

I think DS sales are party driven by the fact any monkey can download roms and run them for about $50 worth of extra gear. So the idea has merit.

From what I've looked at lately (and no, I don't own it), it's about $80 plus the cost of a memory card of sorts. But that gets you DS and GBA titles.

So, let's take a look at piracy on newer consoles so far:

360: Requires you to own a SATA capable computer (pretty standard on anything within the last year or so), and the smarts to open up your 360, plug in a cable, and flash your DVD drive. Then you just burn your games on a dual layer DVD and you're set. Last I heard, it can't be detected (yet) on Live, either.

PS3: No known solution exists (yet), but you can dump your games onto your HD via Linux (as described above). Hopefully Sony has learned a few things since the PSP came out.

PSP: Requires you to own a version 1.5-2.71 console (requires you to downgrade said console to 1.5), and it has to be the first revision of the motherboard (newer models started showing up on store shelves around when 2.5 came out). Once done, you can pirate all games to your memory stick (game size maxes out at 1.4GB, but most games are half that or smaller). Currently due to firmware requirements, you can pirate all games released up until about a month ago (but some titles that require 2.8 to play work just fine under current pirate software). Will be hacked again eventually to cover all games available.

Wii: No known solution yet, and Nintendo's non-portable systems have a history of being difficult to hack. The Gamecube took years for example, instead of the months it took the PS/PS2/Xbox/360. Using an Action Replay via Gamecube emulation though, and a device that allows you to hook up an SD card to your Gamecube memory ports, you can run emulators on your Wii.

GBA/DS: Requires an easy to purchase cart (or in the DS' case, 2 carts (but there is a new single card solution just recently released)) and (but not always) some sort of storage card (CF/SD/microSD) to store your games on. Allows you to pirate all known DS and GBA titles (some reports of slowdown with the bigger DS games depending on what pirate solution you use). Some solutions even allow you to play NES and SNES games on your DS.

There's everyone's education for the day when it comes to piracy.  icon_biggrin

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Farscry

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 24, 2006, 06:31:56 PM »

[edit]Bah, that's what I get for being a filthy thread skimmer; others have already made the point I was going to make.  icon_biggrin
« Last Edit: November 24, 2006, 06:36:42 PM by Farscry » Logged

Purge - You have unlocked an Achievement!
You are now of the rank reprobate
Harkonis

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 24, 2006, 06:37:02 PM »

Quote from: denoginizer on November 24, 2006, 04:06:41 PM

As long as there are consoles people will figure out a way to pirate the games for them.  My biggest worry is multiplayer cheating.  I'm pretty sure the reason Microsoft has not, and never will put a browser on the 360 is due to online gaming being compromised.  In my opinion online play on the PS3 could be ruined by map hacks, aimbots, etc.  I stopped playing online on the PC because of some of that stuff.  I don't want it on consoles too.  I may be in the minority, but I want my console locked up tighter than Tom Thumb's azz.  I don't agree with Microsoft on alot of things.  But I do on that issue.

I agree with this 100%.  I have been so irritated that every game I play on the PC has cheats in it online.  Even PS2 games have online cheats with gameshark type things.  I hope MS keeps those off the 360 as well.
unbreakable
« Reply #24 on: November 24, 2006, 06:55:50 PM »

IMO, Nintendo's ability to prevent piracy (or at least easy piracy) has generally been why "Nintendo Makes Money (tm)".  GCN may not have been a sales giant, but at least a vast majority of the games sold for it were legit sales.
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: November 24, 2006, 07:27:49 PM »

That's retarded.

Quote from: unbreakable on November 24, 2006, 06:55:50 PM

IMO, Nintendo's ability to prevent piracy (or at least easy piracy) has generally been why "Nintendo Makes Money (tm)".  GCN may not have been a sales giant, but at least a vast majority of the games sold for it were legit sales.
That's also retarded.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
unbreakable
« Reply #26 on: November 24, 2006, 07:59:28 PM »

Quote from: -Lord Ebonstone- on November 24, 2006, 07:27:49 PM

That's also retarded.

So, in your world, having an unsuccessful console (compared to your marketplace competitors) but having hardly any piracy of your games will not translate into a financial success (or probably more to the point, NOT a financial disaster)?  Maybe you can ask Sega how much money the Dreamcast would have made had piracy not destroyed almost all their legitimate game sales.

Just looking at the financial aspect, Sony is going to have a rough time whether their console is successful or not.  If you throw rampant piracy into the mix, the PS3 would almost be doomed from the start (especially if the choices are $70-80 per game versus free).

Simply for Sony's sake, I hope they can get piracy to be more difficult than burning a DVD or loading an iso onto the hard drive. 

But Nintendo seems to engineer their consoles in order to make easy piracy more difficult.  Look at the GC: the original way was to use the early Sony GC, which was also a DVD player.  That version was both expensive and rare. 
Next, there was using the broadband adaptor and exploiting a buffer overflow error in the early version of Phantasy Star Online in order to load games from a networked computer running a custom application.  That is hardly "simple" piracy.

Compare that to the Dreamcast.  You copy the game (or an ISO) with a CD burner.  Simple.

Compare that to the PS1 and PS2.  You install a "mod chip", then copy the game/iso with a CD/DVD burner.  Simple.

PS3?  Who knows, maybe you just get a game dumped to the HD and keep a bootloader disc in the DVD drive.  Potentially simple.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2006, 08:10:13 PM by unbreakable » Logged
WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: November 24, 2006, 09:56:29 PM »

Quote from: unbreakable on November 24, 2006, 07:59:28 PM

Quote from: -Lord Ebonstone- on November 24, 2006, 07:27:49 PM

That's also retarded.

So, in your world, having an unsuccessful console (compared to your marketplace competitors) but having hardly any piracy of your games will not translate into a financial success (or probably more to the point, NOT a financial disaster)?  Maybe you can ask Sega how much money the Dreamcast would have made had piracy not destroyed almost all their legitimate game sales.

Just looking at the financial aspect, Sony is going to have a rough time whether their console is successful or not.  If you throw rampant piracy into the mix, the PS3 would almost be doomed from the start (especially if the choices are $70-80 per game versus free).

Simply for Sony's sake, I hope they can get piracy to be more difficult than burning a DVD or loading an iso onto the hard drive. 

But Nintendo seems to engineer their consoles in order to make easy piracy more difficult.  Look at the GC: the original way was to use the early Sony GC, which was also a DVD player.  That version was both expensive and rare. 
Next, there was using the broadband adaptor and exploiting a buffer overflow error in the early version of Phantasy Star Online in order to load games from a networked computer running a custom application.  That is hardly "simple" piracy.

Compare that to the Dreamcast.  You copy the game (or an ISO) with a CD burner.  Simple.

Compare that to the PS1 and PS2.  You install a "mod chip", then copy the game/iso with a CD/DVD burner.  Simple.

PS3?  Who knows, maybe you just get a game dumped to the HD and keep a bootloader disc in the DVD drive.  Potentially simple.

Not to mention how easy it is to pirate games on the PSP and their software sales havent been so hot.  Yes you have to be somewhat computer savvy to pirate PSP games but I have seen tutorials that show step by step how things are done and even the most computer illiterate could follow them.

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: November 26, 2006, 04:00:30 AM »

And believe it or not, you can now run Windows XP via Linux on your PS3. Nothing good will come from this.

unbreakable
« Reply #29 on: November 26, 2006, 11:37:04 PM »

And I'll bet those aren't licensed copies of Windows they are using!!!!   mad mad

Tongue
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 28, 2006, 03:31:14 AM »

PS3 ROM's anyone? (no, the link doesn't go to a download site.  I'll let y'all do the leg work  Tongue)

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Darren8r

I like video games

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: November 28, 2006, 04:57:31 AM »

Oh well, they have been selling Mod chips for the 360 for like however long its been out.
Atleast that generates blank CD sales lol.  Tongue

Now Playing: Skyrim
PS3: Darrenzo- (don't forget the dash at the end)
WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: November 28, 2006, 05:14:52 AM »

Quote from: Darren8r on November 28, 2006, 04:57:31 AM

Oh well, they have been selling Mod chips for the 360 for like however long its been out.
Atleast that generates blank CD sales lol.  Tongue

True, but that takes some know-how and the ability to take your xbox360 apart and solder in a mod chip.  In theory, being able to dump games to the HD on the PS3 will eventually lead to a loader of some sort that will allow you to load games with no extra work.

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: November 30, 2006, 01:55:49 AM »

And version 2.82 was cracked for the PSP as of today. The 'all powerful' 3.00 will not be far behind methinks.

WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: November 30, 2006, 03:34:54 AM »

Quote from: Destructor on November 30, 2006, 01:55:49 AM

And version 2.82 was cracked for the PSP as of today. The 'all powerful' 3.00 will not be far behind methinks.

I read that firmware 3.01 has already been dumped and is close to being cracked. 

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: November 30, 2006, 03:39:46 AM »

Quote from: GatorFavre on November 30, 2006, 03:34:54 AM

Quote from: Destructor on November 30, 2006, 01:55:49 AM

I read that firmware 3.01 has already been dumped and is close to being cracked. 

Yup. Just a day or so after 3.01 was released.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: