http://gamingtrend.com
December 21, 2014, 12:31:10 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Live a necessity for the 360?  (Read 1566 times)
Vinda-Lou
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: February 05, 2006, 04:02:45 AM »

I'm on the verge of maybe possibly considering the idea of perhaps wondering about buying an xbox 360.  

Maybe.  

But I'm not sure that I would subscribe (or even be able to) subscribe to Live.  I know I would miss some arcade game downloads and online play, but is it necessary to really enjoy the 360?  In order to play original xbox games on the 360 (at least the ones on the compatibility list) do I need to download patches, etc?  For instance, let's say I want to play Halo2 or something else from the list, do I need Live to allow the older games to play?  And is it even worth buying the 360 w/o plans for Live?

Finally, do you 360ers feel so far that the console was worth it?  (I know, how lame can a question get, but for the amount of money I'd be spending, I need to be sure.)  Thanks.
philosophist_
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2006, 04:27:14 AM »

This may reveal my borderline obsessive compulsive personality, but the xbox live integration (ie gamer points) is my favorite feature of the xbox 360 and is completely addictive. Lately, I've been avoiding non-360 games because otherwise I won't earn stupid gamer points. I'm even compelled to play games (Gun comes to mind) all the way through just to earn more points. And, no, this isn't a competitive/e-penis thing for me; it's just my inner OC freak.

Fortunately, gamer points don't require an xbox live subscription. All you really need is a decent broadband connection.
corruptrelic

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2006, 04:38:23 AM »

You can download the backwards compatiblity patches for free on Xbox Live Silver - but you still need a broadband connection to get them.

As it stands right now, personally if you're more of a singleplayer gamer then you should probably hold off at least a couple months before getting an xbox 360.
The only real game that I thought was worth it (that offers replayability in BOTH multiplayer and singleplayer) is Perfect Dark Zero.
It has your standard campaign, bots to practice offline with on the multiplayer maps, and then of course, 32 player online matches.
No other game really has that type of "botmatch" or skirmish mode to make playing singleplayer worth it.
Battle for Middle Earth II will probably have a skirmish mode, but IMO in the mean time you should wait a bit until the 360 starts getting more games in. There's just so few games out right now that $400 is too big of a price tag for what's available.

And on Xbox Live.. I used to have it for the original xbox around 3 years ago, it was a lot of fun I admit, but I had a hard time justifying the "pay to play" thing that I didn't renew after the first year, when I could just hop on the PC or my PS2 and play online for free.
It comes out to something like 5 bucks a month just to play on xbox live.
When most of the games I was playing were games like Wolfenstein, Counter-Strike, and Pariah - I could just go play them on the PC, for free.
The only games worth paying to play online are MMO's.

Xbox live fun? Sure.. but is it worth $50+ a year? That really just depends on who you talk to, but for me, it wasn't.

"A gladiator does not fear death. He embraces it. Caresses it. Fucks it. Every time he enters the arena, he slides his cock into the mouth of the beast."
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2006, 05:44:22 AM »

Live gold is only worth it once you have a lot of Live playable games.  Most games right now have live playability (not just achievements), but it's not much of a selection in the first place.  Mainly sports games, racing, and the two big FPS games.

As for enjoying the system without Live Gold, yes you can, but right now there aren't enough games out, and they're quite expensive.  There are no really big or really replayable single player games out.  Sure there's Condemned, but that's short, CoD2 is just more of the same FPS action once you're done with it you're done.  I suppose if you're into sports that'll be really replayable, but there's only so many times you can beat the AI before you start to wonder how those other players online will do against you.  The same goes for racing.

I'd wait for some of the big or replayable games to come out, or games that are good enough to invite friends over to play.

Just so you know, you get a free 30 day trial period of Gold when you first sign up.  That's what I'm playing on now.
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2006, 06:03:36 AM »

At this point, personally, I would say there is no reason to get a 360 if you can't connect to Live., unless you have an HDTV and want to look at prettier versions of games you can play elsewhere. Hardly anything available that isn't a sequel or multi-platform.

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2006, 06:08:21 AM »

IMO you want to have at least Live Silver- that will let you download arcade games, demos, use backwards compatability, etc.  It's free so it's a no brainer unless you won't have the console close to your router in which case it might not be worth the cost of a wireless adapter.  I'm a Silver only member FWIW.

As to the console itself- I don't regret buying it but my "value" judgements probably differ from yours.  I got it because I know there will eventually be must have games on the system and Christmas made it a convenient gift for my wife to give me.  I own every current gen console and handheld and will own every next gen console so a 360 purchase for me was inevitable.  

That said, I haven't played a game on it for at least three weeks and I probably won't until Ghost Recon releases.  If you have any hesitation at all about buying now then don't do it- IMO it's not great enough yet if you think you will suffer buyer's remorse.
Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2006, 07:01:26 AM »

You can download the backwards compatiblity patches for free on Xbox Live Silver - but you still need a broadband connection to get them.

You don't need Live at all to download backwards compatibility updates or dashboard patches. I just download them at work and burn them to a CD. The 360 then installs the update when the CD is inserted in the drive.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2006, 10:09:44 AM »

Andrew, where can you download the updates to burn on CD?  I wasn't aware this was possible.

I suspect MS probably will include such updates on first party game discs in the future.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2006, 04:31:41 PM »

Quote from: "Turtle"
Andrew, where can you download the updates to burn on CD?  I wasn't aware this was possible.

Microsoft's site somewhere. I remember hearing them touting this option when the 360 first came out, but as I have my console hooked up, I didn't look further into this.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
CrayolaSmoker

Sponge Bath Slut

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2006, 04:54:33 PM »

I don't have a 360, nor will I have one for quite some time.  However, from everything I've read on these forums and a smattering of other places, it sounds like Live isn't so much a necessity for the 360 as the entire purpose of owning one.

I've read more positive posts regarding Live's $5 downloadable games than all the release titles combined.  Add in all the great feedback regarding achievements, and Live looks to be the only part of the 360 that has lived up to and/or surpassed expectations.

Wii: 1429 3414 0674 4114 | 360: CrayolaSmokerGT
smokingcrayolas.net | surrogacy blog
Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2006, 05:15:48 PM »

Quote from: "Turtle"

I suspect MS probably will include such updates on first party game discs in the future.

You can do it from xbox.com. I tried to find the exact link for you, but MS has changed the site to the point where they require you to create a passport account and a gamertag before you can do anything. There's a backwards compatibility faq that you can search for that contains all the instructions.
Vinda-Lou

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2006, 06:21:30 PM »

Thanks for the replies.  By the time I have the money (and the justification) for buying one, I'm sure there will be more games out and more backwards compatibility.  I love the idea of downloading onto a pc and bringing the cd to the xbox.  We (my family) just got a widescreen HDTV as our old tv died, so I'm dying to try the 360 out.
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2006, 01:18:31 AM »

Quote from: "CrayolaSmoker"
I don't have a 360, nor will I have one for quite some time.  However, from everything I've read on these forums and a smattering of other places, it sounds like Live isn't so much a necessity for the 360 as the entire purpose of owning one.

I've read more positive posts regarding Live's $5 downloadable games than all the release titles combined.  Add in all the great feedback regarding achievements, and Live looks to be the only part of the 360 that has lived up to and/or surpassed expectations.

very well done...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2006, 04:36:44 AM »

Quote from: "Vinda-Lou"
Thanks for the replies.  By the time I have the money (and the justification) for buying one, I'm sure there will be more games out and more backwards compatibility.  I love the idea of downloading onto a pc and bringing the cd to the xbox.  We (my family) just got a widescreen HDTV as our old tv died, so I'm dying to try the 360 out.

Word of warning though - backwards compatibilty right now, well...sucks.

Yes, Halo and Halo 2 play pretty much perfectly, but other big name games (Splinter Cell, Fable, Ninja Gaiden) either much pretty much play like crap (unplayable frame rate issues), or have other random 'issues' (like the inability to download and play the expansion missions for Splinter Cell).

Unless Microsoft tries a bit harder in the backwards compability sector (and honestly I don't know how well they can 'brute force' the 360 into getting the Xbox to work), I wouldn't rely on it to play your old games.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2006, 04:46:02 AM »

Quote from: "Destructor"
Unless Microsoft tries a bit harder in the backwards compability sector (and honestly I don't know how well they can 'brute force' the 360 into getting the Xbox to work), I wouldn't rely on it to play your old games.

In which case, Microsoft lost a sale on me because I have no Xbox games other than Halo 2 that will play on the 360. If I bought or received all that for naught... for shame Microsoft.

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Rob_Merritt

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2006, 04:50:39 AM »

I don't totally agree. Yes at the moment, Live is the best thing but it isn't the only thing. There are several great retail games. Call of Duty 2, PGR3, NFS: Most Wanted, and Amped 3 just to name a few. The wireless controllers are simply amazing. I think the thing that has hurt the 360 the most (besides the fact that you can't find one) is that the launch game, Perfect Dark Zero, sucks really bad. That has put a damper on the entire system.

HankRaptor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2006, 01:12:36 PM »

I've read more positive posts regarding Live's $5 downloadable games than all the release titles combined.  Add in all the great feedback regarding achievements, and Live looks to be the only part of the
 360 that has lived up to and/or surpassed expectations.

Thats the truth.

Wii Number 6291 3315 9378 1013
360- HankRaptor
PSN- HankRaptor
Crispin sees what you are doing and he is NONE TOO PLEASED.
mytocles

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2006, 07:15:23 PM »

I adore my 360 - and I only got it at launch because I pre-ordered so early for Oblivion's sake, which quickly became a non-issue.  However, I've loved everything I've played on it so far.  The Arcade and the Achievements are brilliant ideas - I had to force myself to take Quake IV out - I really wanted to replay it for different Achievements, or try it at the next level. I'm not familiar with the difference between Silver and Gold, though, since I went straight to Gold from the end of the free trial there's a Zuma addict here that wanted the full game... and Gold was so cheap): I bought a year of Live Gold on eBay for $40.  It's sold for less, but my timing was bad - a month after launch, lol.  Even at that price, it makes it cheap ($3.33 per month), and it doesn't  feel like a subscription - more like an accessory I bought from a store.  :lol:  

I've also played and liked the early parts of Kameo, PDZ, King Kong, Condemned, and the FFXI beta. I will be in utter Heaven when Oblivion comes out.  I don't really have to worry about waiting too long for anything else to come out, because I'll  be playing FF XI until Oblivion comes out, then it's "C YA!"  After the dust settles, i'm sure there will be a ton of games out that I'll want.

My feelings in a nutshell:  I adore my 360, and wouldn't live (oops, sorry) without Live again...

And once more - Elder Scrolls: Oblivion!!! If you can't do PC games, like me, or if you prefer the comfy couch, large screen deal, what's not to love?!  Tongue

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!"
- I don't remember who said it, and probably neither do they...
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2006, 08:23:33 PM »

Quote from: "Rob_Merritt"

I don't totally agree. Yes at the moment, Live is the best thing but it isn't the only thing. There are several great retail games. Call of Duty 2, PGR3, NFS: Most Wanted, and Amped 3 just to name a few. The wireless controllers are simply amazing. I think the thing that has hurt the 360 the most (besides the fact that you can't find one) is that the launch game, Perfect Dark Zero, sucks really bad. That has put a damper on the entire system.

I just want to agree with Rob. He's got the right idea.
Vinda-Lou

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2006, 12:06:04 AM »

I'm sure this has been written about everywhere, but since it came up here... is CoD2 the same as the PC version or different?  I'd love to play a game like this on HDTV, but I'm almost done with the PC version.

I also have to say there seem to be many decent games coming out for the 360, so even if I can't get older games playing on it, I'm sure there will be enough soon to make me forget.  Fingers crossed.  I think I can afford the 360 next week I hope, so the hunt begins next Weds.
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2006, 01:02:00 AM »

Quote from: "Vinda-Lou"
I'm sure this has been written about everywhere, but since it came up here... is CoD2 the same as the PC version or different?  I'd love to play a game like this on HDTV, but I'm almost done with the PC version.

Call of Duty 2 is the same on PC/360 while Call of Duty 2: Big Red One for PS2/Xbox/Cube is different.

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2006, 10:12:59 PM »

except you can't lean in CoD2 for Xbox360. It is "consoled" but it's also VERY immersive.

As for PDZ ... I bought it and don't regret it. It's a lot of fun. Kameo is great too, and so is Amped 3 (get past the cheesy stuff and the game really shines).

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: