http://gamingtrend.com
September 22, 2014, 12:23:51 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: LittleBigPlanet - Play. Create. Share. Now in (somewhat private) beta!  (Read 19224 times)
Doopri
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 08, 2008, 05:25:11 PM »

wait its a platformer? i thought it was more like a lemmings kind of game
depward

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 08, 2008, 05:33:40 PM »

Quote from: Fellow on August 08, 2008, 04:31:26 PM

This is such a day 1 purchase it's not even funny. Y'hear me??! NOT FUNNNYYYY!!!!

LOVE the response Fellow!!  Yeah!

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 08, 2008, 06:09:55 PM »

Quote from: Doopri on August 08, 2008, 05:25:11 PM

Essentially, a platformer (you move around your character).  But as user-created content comes out (and judging from what I've seen the devs do), it *can be* so much more.  Racing, puzzle, sports, can be used as a sort of canvas for art...

TheMissingLink on PSN
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 08, 2008, 06:45:41 PM »

The thing is...it just seems kinda..empty to me..there's no story, as I can tell? Of course, the fact that I dont really like platformers are a huge impact on my wishes for this title...

If it was a world builder, instead of just a platformgame builder, as I actually thought it was, I'd be interested...

A new one
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 08, 2008, 07:35:25 PM »

Quote from: Doopri on August 08, 2008, 05:25:11 PM

good group of videos here...

Quote from: Razgon on August 08, 2008, 06:45:41 PM

Of course, the fact that I dont really like platformers are a huge impact on my wishes for this title...

um, highly likely?...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 09, 2008, 09:00:31 PM »

new video on amazon. looks like there's a complete game included to me smile ...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 10, 2008, 01:14:41 AM »

Quote from: semiconscious on August 09, 2008, 09:00:31 PM

new video on amazon. looks like there's a complete game included to me smile ...

They showed, like, two levels, and one was an ad.

I hope this is a full game, 'cause I'm the type of cuh-raaaazee old man who loves platformers.  But that's not the stuff that's getting hyped.  The hyped stuff is what I don't really get.  But it seems to work for most people.

The game does look very pretty, though.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 10, 2008, 04:14:41 AM »

It does look cool.  I'm just not convinced there is a good game in there.  I have yet to see much in the way of challenging or interesting gameplay.

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: August 10, 2008, 05:34:14 AM »

They've repeated over and over, there is a full campaign with a lot of developer created levels all tied together with a humorously thin storyline.  There are enemies controlled via complex AI brains that designers can customize, and all sorts of other things.

This isn't just some sandbox.
mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: August 10, 2008, 12:45:34 PM »

I'm hopeful, but not buying day 1.   Will play a demo, rent, something and if grabs me I will immediately rush down and get it.  The sales guy at my local game store wouldn't shut up about it yesterday and said he thinks it will be bigger than youtube in his opinion.  Uh, yea.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 10, 2008, 02:47:53 PM »

Quote from: Turtle on August 10, 2008, 05:34:14 AM

They've repeated over and over, there is a full campaign with a lot of developer created levels all tied together with a humorously thin storyline.  There are enemies controlled via complex AI brains that designers can customize, and all sorts of other things.

So I have heard.  But all of the gameplay I have seen so far consists of going from one side of the screen to the other on a brutally linear path. 

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 10, 2008, 09:28:36 PM »

Quote from: denoginizer on August 10, 2008, 02:47:53 PM

Quote from: Turtle on August 10, 2008, 05:34:14 AM

So I have heard.  But all of the gameplay I have seen so far consists of going from one side of the screen to the other on a brutally linear path. 

That doesn't bother me.  I haven't heard even one of the repeated comments that there's a full campaign, but I'm happy to hear it,  Of course, I've only had a PS3 for less than half a year and only payed peripheral attention to the game before that.  I think it's odd that they haven't talked about a single player campaign much recently, though.

depward

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 13, 2008, 08:23:20 PM »

LittleBigLineRider -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t688DOPCIi4

The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 13, 2008, 08:27:17 PM »

Preordered from Gamestop yesterday to get the Kratos costume.  I love their in-store pickup option now and them emailing codes.  Got my Fable 2 code from them yesterday.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 13, 2008, 08:40:08 PM »

Quote from: depward on August 13, 2008, 08:23:20 PM

HAH, that was cool!

TheMissingLink on PSN
Jack Burton
Gaming Trend Reader

I am NOT Simon Cowell!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: August 13, 2008, 09:16:27 PM »

I still don't "get" this game.  Why should I be interested?  Is there a list of features or a full description of what it is somewheres?  WHAT AM I MISSING?!  retard

What the...?
PJ Lorenz
rickfc

Why so serious?

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 13, 2008, 09:19:07 PM »

Does the game look cool?  Yes.  It looks like it would be pretty fun to go in and mess around creating your own levels.

Is it enough to sell me a PS3?  No.  Personally, I feel that any novelty with this game would wear out pretty quickly, a la Wii.
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 21, 2008, 01:05:35 AM »

SACKZILLA!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXp4ednGYcc

Shaping up to look like my GOTY...

TheMissingLink on PSN
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 21, 2008, 02:44:03 AM »

Quote from: TheMissingLink on August 21, 2008, 01:05:35 AM

SACKZILLA!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXp4ednGYcc

Shaping up to look like my GOTY...

Is there a game in there somewhere?

Honestly, the more I see, the less I get.  This really may not be for me. 

Sure looks pretty.

TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 21, 2008, 03:23:02 AM »

Gameplay?

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/38714.html

There you go.

TheMissingLink on PSN
The Grue

You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: August 21, 2008, 03:27:08 AM »

I think this game has moved to my most anticipated...even over Rock Band 2.

XBox Live ID: The Grue
Playstation Network Name: TheGrue
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: August 21, 2008, 03:28:56 AM »

Did you see the play through of the construction site level Bullwinkle?  It's a play through of an actual developer created level.

Here, let me post for you actual developer levels that have gameplay not just creation.

And honestly, alongside all of the many developer levels strung together in a campaign, you'll also get additional develop levels later, and an entire community creating and ranking levels.  As such you'll always know

Some gameplay from the first party of the Junkyard Jamboree level:

A boss battle at the end of Junkyard Jamboree:
http://www.gametrailers.com/player/36988.html
or in HD:
http://www.gametrailers.com/player/36989.html

An example of a simpler mini-game style of level.  The goal is to survive as long as possible to get the highest score on the board:
http://www.gametrailers.com/player/38708.html

Keep in mind that the development of all these tools that players can use to create also helped make it easier for developers to come up with a lot of cool levels for players to play.
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 21, 2008, 04:23:47 AM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on August 21, 2008, 02:44:03 AM

Honestly, the more I see, the less I get.  This really may not be for me.

um, agreed?... i know i personally don't get most sports games, shooters, or the gta series myself, but, hey, that's just how gaming is - to each his own...

Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: August 21, 2008, 04:48:26 AM »

Well, put that way if you just don't like platformers, than of course LBP isn't for you since it's just one big platformer with community elements.

What we're trying to address is the idea that there's no actual gameplay, and no single player campaign levels, in the game itself.
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 21, 2008, 05:02:17 AM »

Quote from: Turtle on August 21, 2008, 04:48:26 AM

Well, put that way if you just don't like platformers, than of course LBP isn't for you since it's just one big platformer with community elements.

What we're trying to address is the idea that there's no actual gameplay, and no single player campaign levels, in the game itself.

y'know, i can't figure out why in the hell anyone would think there wouldn't be. i mean, with such a cool construction kit, why would / how could the developers not come up with something? smile ...

depward

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 21, 2008, 05:26:38 AM »

I like to play games to achieve a game completion just like everyone else.

However, the more and more I play games, I don't look at them thinking I want to play it to completion... or to 100% it.  I want to have fun.  And I want to have fun with it playing with friends.

There may not be a clear objective to LBP.  But what I see is a super fun time dinking around with friends, creating new canvases to play with, sharing those with the community, and enjoying yourself.

Every 'game' doesn't need to have a final boss battle.  Or a means to an end really.  A game can be something that takes your mind off of the long day you put in at work... or the 'little world' you can escape to and just worry about having fun.

This is why I'm looking forward to LBP.  I can't wait to see what people build & create.  And I can't wait to take my little personalized sackboy with three of my friends and play co-operately through those.

Animal Crossing is another example of one of these kinds of games.  Sure, you play to pay off your mortgage with Tom Nook... but when that's all said and done, what do you play it for?  I've been playing it for 2 years on the DS to keep up with neighbors, create new tile designs and change my town up, etc.

Misguided
Gaming Trend Staff

Semi-acquatic egg-laying mammal of action

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 21, 2008, 12:09:19 PM »

Quote from: depward on August 21, 2008, 05:26:38 AM

There may not be a clear objective to LBP.

Of all the games to share my initials...

Ruining language with my terrible words.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 21, 2008, 03:23:54 PM »

Quote from: Turtle on August 21, 2008, 03:28:56 AM

Did you see the play through of the construction site level Bullwinkle?  It's a play through of an actual developer created level.

Here, let me post for you actual developer levels that have gameplay not just creation.

And honestly, alongside all of the many developer levels strung together in a campaign, you'll also get additional develop levels later, and an entire community creating and ranking levels.  As such you'll always know

Some gameplay from the first party of the Junkyard Jamboree level:

A boss battle at the end of Junkyard Jamboree:
http://www.gametrailers.com/player/36988.html
or in HD:
http://www.gametrailers.com/player/36989.html

An example of a simpler mini-game style of level.  The goal is to survive as long as possible to get the highest score on the board:
http://www.gametrailers.com/player/38708.html

Keep in mind that the development of all these tools that players can use to create also helped make it easier for developers to come up with a lot of cool levels for players to play.

I've seen some other gameplay vids.  I was really talking about that particular video.  Apart from building the monster (which, to me, seems akin to set-up for a complicated boardgame-the kind where it takes you an hour before you're even ready to do anything-but without the gameplay that follows all of that set-up), there wasn't anything that made me even think this was a game.  So to watch it and say, "Wow, that's my most anticipated game..." is just something I don't get.  Not in a judgy way, except in that it's making me wonder about myself.  What the hell am I missing?

I love platformers.  I would probably f around with the construction for an hour or so and never, ever come back to it.  If there is enough gameplay to satisfy me, I'll be in.  I would no doubt download the highest rated levels by people who love f-ing around with the construction.  I'd prefer a story, something to give me a sense that I'm progressing, but I don't need one.  Not every game needs that.  My fear, though, no matter how many times I've heard that the designers are putting in a full game, is that we'll get, like, a dozen levels all saying, "Look at the kind of thing you can do" and then the distinct impression that they're leaving it up to the community to use the tools.  For me, tools aren't gameplay.

semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 21, 2008, 04:01:50 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on August 21, 2008, 03:23:54 PM

I've seen some other gameplay vids.  I was really talking about that particular video.  Apart from building the monster (which, to me, seems akin to set-up for a complicated boardgame-the kind where it takes you an hour before you're even ready to do anything-but without the gameplay that follows all of that set-up), there wasn't anything that made me even think this was a game.  So to watch it and say, "Wow, that's my most anticipated game..." is just something I don't get.  Not in a judgy way, except in that it's making me wonder about myself.  What the hell am I missing?

I love platformers.  I would probably f around with the construction for an hour or so and never, ever come back to it.  If there is enough gameplay to satisfy me, I'll be in.  I would no doubt download the highest rated levels by people who love f-ing around with the construction.  I'd prefer a story, something to give me a sense that I'm progressing, but I don't need one.  Not every game needs that.  My fear, though, no matter how many times I've heard that the designers are putting in a full game, is that we'll get, like, a dozen levels all saying, "Look at the kind of thing you can do" and then the distinct impression that they're leaving it up to the community to use the tools.  For me, tools aren't gameplay.

bullwinkle, dude - stop torturing yourself!...

me & a few other people will get the game, day 1. we'll check it out. we'll let you know. 'kay?...

now relax smile ...

denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 21, 2008, 04:26:04 PM »

Quote from: Bullwinkle on August 21, 2008, 03:23:54 PM

I agree completely.  Although I have heard podcasts where people who have been playing the game for a while love it. So although I don't see what all of the fuss is about in the videos either, I'm thinking that maybe once you play the game in person you will feel differently.  Personally I detest platformers. So no matter how good the construction set is I am not interested in the game.  But if you like the genre I have heard that there will be alot to like in LBP, even though the videos haven't shown much so far.

Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: August 21, 2008, 04:56:19 PM »

Well, one thing you have to realize is that all these same tools they're giving to the community, are the same tools they're using to create the single player levels.
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 21, 2008, 04:57:29 PM »

I don't really 'get' it either, but it looks damn cute.  I'll take a wait and see on it.

gellar
happydog

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 22, 2008, 12:20:04 AM »

This is the only game right now that makes me want to get a PS3.

LiveTAG: happydog
depward

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 30, 2008, 03:56:09 PM »

Awesome, awesome new trailer:

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/39326.html

I love it!

semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 30, 2008, 04:30:52 PM »

Quote from: depward on August 30, 2008, 03:56:09 PM

Awesome, awesome new trailer:

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/39326.html

I love it!

yeah, - but remember, that's only cuz you 'get' it smile ...

mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #75 on: August 30, 2008, 05:38:58 PM »

Yeah, I'm not getting it either.  Nice graphics and cute and all, but I have never enjoyed platforming.  But I can see how it would be a platforming guys dream come true.  No doubt it will be considered one of the cream of the PS3's crop in years to come.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2008, 07:51:13 PM by mikeg » Logged

I am Xboxalot on Live.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #76 on: August 30, 2008, 07:10:59 PM »

That's fine if you don't get it, but I see people come into every LBP thread just to say they don't get it.  If you don't like platforming, don't bother with the game.

It's like hounding Mario or every other platformer, if you don't get it there, you're not going to.  Trying to force yourself to try and "get" it for LBP is just going to make your head hurt.  And that's something I don't get.
Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: August 30, 2008, 07:23:27 PM »

Quote from: mikeg on August 30, 2008, 05:38:58 PM

Yeah, I'm not getting it either.  Nice graphics and cut and all, but I have never enjoyed platforming.  But I can see how it would be a platforming guys dream come true.  No doubt it will be considered one of the cream of the PS3's crop in years to come.

Quote from: Turtle on August 30, 2008, 07:10:59 PM

That's fine if you don't get it, but I see people come into every LBP thread just to say they don't get it.  If you don't like platforming, don't bother with the game.

It's like hounding Mario or every other platformer, if you don't get it there, you're not going to.  Trying to force yourself to try and "get" it for LBP is just going to make your head hurt.  And that's something I don't get.

But I do love platforming.  It's one of my favorite genres.  I still don't quite get LBP.  The truth is, I want to get it.  Because I love platformers.  But this keeps seeming to me like not so much a game as a bunch of stuff for you to make a game, if you want.  I understand there will be levels pre-packed.  I'm just hoping those levels will be a full game and not just a tutorial to show you the kind of things you could do.

As for the new video.  It's cute.  At least there's some gameplay in it.  I think. 

mikeg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #78 on: August 30, 2008, 07:57:09 PM »

Quote from: Turtle on August 30, 2008, 07:10:59 PM

I actually thought, and meant, my comments to reflect positively on the game.  Here's a guy who doesn't dig platformers saying the games was cute, should be adored by platform lovers, and would no doubt be a highly praised game.  Even though I personally don't dig that genre much.  But hey, point taken.  I shan't be back.

I am Xboxalot on Live.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #79 on: August 30, 2008, 09:41:01 PM »

Yeah, and I saw your comments as positive too.  But, it still really confused me as to why you just kept trying to force yourself to see more into the game.

Platforming is a hit or miss with me, I don't actually like pure platformers like Mario and such, which is why I skipped Mario Galaxy.  But I like content creation and artsy stuff so that's why I liked LBP.

A think one of the big reasons why people don't think there's a lot of game behind it is that the platforming and characters seem simple.  Unlike say, in a Mario game you see Mario pulling off all sorts of special moves, turning into racoons or ghosts, etc...  In LBP all we've seen so far are Sackboys running around, grabbing on to things, and hitting each other.

I suspect one of the big gameplay elements in LBP will be in the levels, not the creation, but rather the fun new moves will be part of the levels.  So where other games have the character get new moves, in LBP the move set of the character stays pretty limited, but the levels themselves have a lot more interactivity in them.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: