http://gamingtrend.com
December 18, 2014, 04:17:04 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: LittleBigPlanet Pirate Ship level trailer  (Read 1441 times)
Daehawk
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: December 10, 2007, 03:26:02 PM »

http://ve3d.ign.com/videos/19810/PlayStation-3/LittleBigPlanet

That looks so cute.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2007, 05:34:11 PM by Daehawk » Logged

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2007, 03:30:35 PM »

pssst.. you might want to put the actual title of the game in the thread title  Tongue

I'm having trouble seeing the allure of this one.  it's basically a giant electronic dollhouse?
« Last Edit: December 10, 2007, 03:32:26 PM by CeeKay » Logged

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
QP
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2007, 03:49:55 PM »

Quote from: CeeKay on December 10, 2007, 03:30:35 PM

pssst.. you might want to put the actual title of the game in the thread title  Tongue

I'm having trouble seeing the allure of this one.  it's basically a giant electronic dollhouse?

It's more  like a Gary's Mod for kids.

-QP
Currently Playing:
[PC]Oblivion Again (OOO this time)
happydog

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2007, 04:24:47 PM »

Quote from: QP on December 10, 2007, 03:49:55 PM

Quote from: CeeKay on December 10, 2007, 03:30:35 PM

It's more  like a Gary's Mod for kids.

Agreed.

This is the one game that makes me want a PS3.

LiveTAG: happydog
DarkEL

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2007, 07:29:56 PM »

I too am having a harder time seeing the allure of this title.

When it was first announced it looked like a lot of fun - as a physics-based, teamwork style platformer.

But ever since then - it seems like the emphasis has been more and more on turning it into some weird interactive level editor / playground where you have to build the puzzles first and add  the components you want to try and solve them.

As such - for me - the title is looking lamer and lamer.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2007, 07:48:44 PM »

They're showing the creative aspects of the game first because those are the elements that are the most finished and is the main long term draw of the this game.  The single and multiplayer game actually consists of platforming, similar to other 2D platformers.  Media Molecule has said that the levels they're creating are even better than the one shown previously, even including things like enemies to battle, and there'll be a lot of levels.

The main thing is that you have your physics based, co-op, platformer, but you also have unlimited replayability since you, or other people can easily create new levels, or alter current levels, together in co-op.  So, you can have your cake and eat it too.
DarkEL

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2007, 07:59:24 PM »

Quote from: Turtle on December 10, 2007, 07:48:44 PM

The main thing is that you have your physics based, co-op, platformer, but you also have unlimited replayability since you, or other people can easily create new levels, or alter current levels, together in co-op.  So, you can have your cake and eat it too.

The cake is a lie
metallicorphan

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2007, 09:04:26 PM »

sorry to disagree (again)..but even though i have a PS3 i wont be buying this,it has great graphics,but looks like the kind of game you will be bored with after an hour or two...nothing appealing for me anyway

Manchester United Premier League Champions 2013!!

Xbox LIVE:Metallicorphan
Wii:8565 1513 0206 1960
PSN:Metallicorphan
QP
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2007, 09:30:37 PM »

If it's easy to do for kids (and I have a PS3 by then), I'd probably get it just to play with my son.

-QP
Currently Playing:
[PC]Oblivion Again (OOO this time)
TC Weidner
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2007, 10:35:55 PM »

Game looks INCREDIBLE.
Turtle

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2007, 01:31:33 AM »

Quote from: DarkEL on December 10, 2007, 07:59:24 PM

The cake is a lie

And now, they need a portal gun prop in LittleBigPlanet, imagine the co-op fun with that.  Heck, they did it in flash already.
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2007, 01:50:11 AM »

The construction set looks amazing.  The gameplay looks boring as hell.

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
th'FOOL
Executive Producer and Editor-At-Large

Never whistle while you're pissing

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2007, 03:30:25 AM »

Quote from: DarkEL on December 10, 2007, 07:29:56 PM

When it was first announced it looked like a lot of fun - as a physics-based, teamwork style platformer.

But ever since then - it seems like the emphasis has been more and more on turning it into some weird interactive level editor / playground where you have to build the puzzles first and add  the components you want to try and solve them.

Really?  That's strange, I was there when they announced it for the first time and it was ALWAYS pitched as a 'create-your-own-game' experience, where you would share your games and levels over the PSN.

I distinctly remember it because it was the first time the thought of purchasing a PS3 even entered my mind...

Mike Dunn
Executive Producer & Managing Editor, GamingTrend
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2007, 03:33:07 AM »

Just looks insanely awesome to me.
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2007, 04:44:29 AM »

People are capable of some amazing things...and I look forward to playing some incredible levels created by incredibly talented people biggrin

TheMissingLink on PSN
HankRaptor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2007, 01:32:28 PM »

AND THERE is the reason I root for SONY!

Without them we would miss out on so much.. Microsoft doesnt believe in the esoteric games. They cancelled Psychonauts for christs sake!

Wii Number 6291 3315 9378 1013
360- HankRaptor
PSN- HankRaptor
Crispin sees what you are doing and he is NONE TOO PLEASED.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2007, 01:46:46 PM »

Quote from: HankRaptor
Without them we would miss out on so much.. Microsoft doesnt believe in the esoteric games. They cancelled Psychonauts for christs sake!

IIRC, Psychonauts is a multiplatform game (PS2, Xbox, PC). And it was published by Majesco, not Microsoft. And it didn't sell well (KG, you got the numbers?)... the fact that they're trying to resell it on Live is a good thing for the game. I'm all for Sony coming up with games that will bring forth new gameplay ideas; this one doesn't move me though.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2007, 01:48:48 PM by Purge » Logged

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
denoginizer

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2007, 01:49:59 PM »

Quote from: TheMissingLink on December 11, 2007, 04:44:29 AM

People are capable of some amazing things...and I look forward to playing some incredible levels created by incredibly talented people biggrin

I look forward to the first giant penis level !!!  icon_smile

Xbox Live Tag: denoginizer
PSN Name: denoginizer
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2007, 02:06:02 PM »

Quote from: Purge on December 11, 2007, 01:46:46 PM

IIRC, Psychonauts is a multiplatform game (PS2, Xbox, PC). And it was published by Majesco, not Microsoft. And it didn't sell well (KG, you got the numbers?)... the fact that they're trying to resell it on Live is a good thing for the game. I'm all for Sony coming up with games that will bring forth new gameplay ideas; this one doesn't move me though.

Psychonauts was originally MS published.  After development went way over schedule (and presumably over budget), MS cut their losses and dropped the game.  Eventually Majesco came along and picked the game up and also decided to take the title multiplatform. 

I don't know the numbers offhand but, yeah, they were low though I think it did decently selling as a bargain bin game. 

Similar situation with Oddworld Stranger's Wrath- originally MS published but they dropped it and EA picked it up. 
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2007, 07:22:50 PM »

Quote from: denoginizer on December 11, 2007, 01:49:59 PM

Quote from: TheMissingLink on December 11, 2007, 04:44:29 AM

I look forward to the first giant penis level !!!  icon_smile

don't forget the ride through a vaginal canal!!!!!  icon_twisted

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Brendan

two oh sickness

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2007, 12:10:26 AM »

Today's news is that the demo for this was pushed back, so I won't get to read y'alls impressions for awhile yet.  The game does look intriguing.

"I can officially confirm that there won't be a demo this year," Ron Eagle, senior manager of PR for Sony Computer Entertainment America told me. But he did say he's played 30 of the games 50 planned developer-made levels and that it's a lot of fun. He seemed genuinely pleased about his time with the game, but his company won't be showing more "LBP" at least until next month. Eagle could only add that the full game is set for a 2008 release.
HankRaptor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2007, 12:22:36 AM »

Quote from: Purge on December 11, 2007, 01:46:46 PM

Purge,

It did not start out that way. Microsoft funded it as an XBOX exclusive and when they dropped it is when Majesco picked it up and made i MULTIPLATFORM.

Wii Number 6291 3315 9378 1013
360- HankRaptor
PSN- HankRaptor
Crispin sees what you are doing and he is NONE TOO PLEASED.
DarkEL

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2007, 12:30:42 AM »

Quote from: th'FOOL on December 11, 2007, 03:30:25 AM

Quote from: DarkEL on December 10, 2007, 07:29:56 PM

Really?  That's strange, I was there when they announced it for the first time and it was ALWAYS pitched as a 'create-your-own-game' experience, where you would share your games and levels over the PSN.

I distinctly remember it because it was the first time the thought of purchasing a PS3 even entered my mind...

Shrugs - who knows. In actuality they probably talked about both aspects equally and we both just focused on the aspects that appealed to our own tastes.

Since I spend all day long building things - my eyes pretty much gloss over whenever I hear a developer start talking about how they've included a level editor or whatever.

There was a day (back in the doom, half-life, quake days) when that meant something fun and interesting. But not anymore.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2007, 02:10:11 AM by DarkEL » Logged
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2007, 12:20:49 PM »

...and as a MULTIPLATFORM (wondering about the caps) it wasn't the seller it could have been. From MS's perspective it would have been a total loss for them as a platform exclusive. It's not a system seller, and even to the rest of the markets it didn't make the bank.

Keep in mind, if MS was the pubs originally (which I do now recall, thanks for the reminder), they had funded at least part of it. Exersizing their option to decide that the game wasn't up to snuff was their perogative, and as far as business was concerned it was the right one to make.

Think about it; Phantom Dust (an MS exclusive) never captured the target market (Japan) because it wasn't multiplatform and didn't sell systems. MS needs hardware footprint; they aren't out to pub for other platforms (although they should; could you imagine the "other" fanbois when a multiplatform game fires up on the non-ms console with MS Games Studios swirling on the screen? Scandalous! slywink) If Phantom Dust went through the multiplatform method then we'd have PD2 and 3 out already.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: