http://gamingtrend.com
April 24, 2014, 12:54:35 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: List your unplayed games Categories!  (Read 1159 times)
mytocles
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: May 03, 2005, 10:18:05 PM »

I never had such a pile of unplayed, or half-played, games before joining CG, lol - I realized they're starting to form themselves into categories in my mind.  Here are my categories -  list yours, or discuss the idiotic phenomenon:

Want to Play "Next" - Kotor 2, Silent Hill 4, Kingdom Under Fire.  
Play Real Soon -  PsychoNauts, Sudeki, Siren, Jade Empire, Summoner 1, Syphon Filter, Return to Castle Wolfenstein, DarkStone, Demon Stone.
Finish Real Soon - Halo 2, Ico, Champions of Norrath, Primal, Monster Hunter.
If I Ever Get Caught Up, AKA "Someday"  - Drakan, Harvest Moon (2 different ones!), Onimusha 3, .Hack et al, Vampire Night, Shenmue, Vagrant Story, Metal Gear Solid 2, Phantom Dust.
May Not Finish, but Want to Have Fun with: Bard's Tale, Gladius, Gladiator

The new category to try to fix the problem:  
Working Really Hard on Finishing if None of the Other Categories Interfere - Chronicles of Riddick, Doom 3, Zelda Minish Cap.

Now I ask you - given that there are only two on this list that I don't already own - and the fact that there are probably twenty more behind them waiting - wtf???  Some of these I paid full price or 3/4 value for and they'll be going for 1/2 or 1/4 price, or less!  Wouldn't it be a lot cheaper (duh!) to just have two or three onhand?  Well, okay - five or ten?  wtf???

Mytocles (MY-toe-cleez)

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!"
- I don't remember who said it, and probably neither do they...
Tebunker

Ask How, Ask Now, Ask me

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2005, 10:28:38 PM »

I've slowly began to turn a potential backlog into the, "gee I'll pick that up later" list, has definately saved me some major money over the past 8 months.

It's the only way to really stay ahead of the game, and I still have a big log of games sitting on my shelf.

"I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere. Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind amazing things will happen." - Conan O'Brien
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2005, 10:51:01 PM »

Currently Playing Definitely Will Finish:  
Shadow Heats Covenant (just started), Final Fantasy X (replay- very, very close to finishing; approx 55 hours in and am working on getting ultimate weapons before the end game)

Currently Playing When My Blood Pressure Can Handle It Probably Will Not Finish:

Ninja Gaiden

Damn Good Chance They Could Be My Next Game:
Digital Devil Saga, Final Fantasy IX, Stella Deus, Arc the Lad: Twilight of the Spirits, Tales of Symphonia, Persona 2, Dark Cloud 2, Skies of Arcadia Legends

Played a Fair Amount Of, Didn't Really Click Then, Feel It Might Click Now, Therefore Damn Good Chance It Might Be Played Soon:
Resident Evil 4

Don't Own Yet, Sure to Love, Will Play Sometime:
 Psychonauts

Games I've Already Finished So Why Am I Thinking About Wasting My Time Replaying It When I Should Be Playing New Games Yet Will Still Likely Replay In The Near Future:  
Beyond Good and Evil, Final Fantasy VII, Metal Gear Solid 3, Final Fantasy Tactics, Ico

Other Random Shit On My Shelf I Would Love to Play In The Next Century:

Maximo Vs Army of Zin, Metal Arms, Klonoa 2, Breath of Fire Dragon Quarter, Sphinx and the Curse of the Mummy, Front Mission 4, Lunar 2 Eternal Blue, Metroid Prime Echoes, Baten Kaitos
flyinj
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2005, 04:38:34 AM »

Seriously, it doesn't matter how long it sits on your bookshelf unplayed.

It is every gamer's DUTY to go out, right now, and purchase Psychonauts... at full price.

It needs all the help it can get, and the way things are looking now, it's going to tank completely.

For every person waiting for it to hit the bargain bin, it's one less chance for Doublefine to survive. And one less chance for ANY innovation in this industry to survive when the suits see what a  complete waste of money it is to invest in anything original.
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2005, 06:05:38 AM »

I agree, psychonauts flat out rocks. I don`t know why microsoft dropped it...
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2005, 06:18:41 AM »

Quote from: "flyinj"
And one less chance for ANY innovation in this industry to survive when the suits see what a  complete waste of money it is to invest in anything original.
Beyond its setting/presentation, is there anything original about Psychonauts?  Isn't it just a pretty by-the-book platformer?

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2005, 06:53:30 AM »

Quote from: "Harpua3"
I agree, psychonauts flat out rocks. I don`t know why microsoft dropped it...

As FlyinJ alluded to, no matter its greatness Psychonauts is likely to sink like a rock at retail.  I don't think it was cheap to make either- this game was in development for a long time and just paying for personnel salaries for that many years is going to add up.  They may have thought it better to cut their losses and run.

MS must be under a lot of pressure for better results from first party games.  Halo is a gargantuan sales monster but much of the rest of their stable has underperformed.  
Plus they've been completely unable to get even decent sales from their platformers like Blinx 1 & 2, Voodoo Vince, and Grabbed by the Ghoulies so prospects weren't good for Psychonauts.  In fact no platformer from any developer has had decent sales on Xbox IIRC.  

Tim Schaeffer has gone on record as saying that MS dropped Psychonauts because they didn't want to support any Xbox titles in 2005 but based on the releases of Jade Empire and Forza I don't think that's true.  

Too bad that MS didn't adapt the attitude that some movie studios do when the fund movies from critically acclaimed but commercially lacking directors like the Coens, Paul Thomas Anderson, and David O. Russell.  Many studios take losses on these films just for the added prestige that comes from being associated with these guys.  I think Sony is doing something similiar by funding Shadow of the Collosus despite undewhelming numbers for Ico.
flyinj
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2005, 06:59:04 AM »

Quote from: "-Lord Ebonstone-"
Quote from: "flyinj"
And one less chance for ANY innovation in this industry to survive when the suits see what a  complete waste of money it is to invest in anything original.
Beyond its setting/presentation, is there anything original about Psychonauts?  Isn't it just a pretty by-the-book platformer?

Beyond it's setting/presentation, is there anything original about Grim Fandango, Monkey Island, Day of the Tentacle and Full Throttle? Aren't they pretty much by-the-book adventure games?

Aside from that, yes, there are quite a few things Psychonauts does that other platformers haven't.
Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2005, 12:31:11 PM »

My list is huge.  I'd like to get to all of them, but to be realistic it'll probably only be a few...maybe.

Games I Will Finish Soon :  KOTOR 2

Games I've Made Decent Progress : Onimusha 3, Red Dead Revolver, Doom 3, Half Life 2, FFX.

Games I Want To Finish (but never will) : Any GTA, any non-Bioware RPG, any handheld game.

Games I Will Always Finish : Survival Horror, games that have KOTOR or Ratchet & Clank in the title.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
Driver
Gaming Trend Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2005, 12:36:27 PM »

I never feel bad about half-played games since they always come up again.  It's all kind of mood dependent.

Here are games I'm playing now:
Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory
Unreal Championship 2
Silent Hill 4

Games I have to get back to and finish:
Deus Ex 2
Morrowind
Full Spectrum Warrior (2nd time through)
Breakdown
Thief: Deadly Shadows
The other 2 Splinter Cells games
Rogue Ops
Fatal Frame

All my other games are ones kind of designed to just pick up and play whenever.
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2005, 01:14:44 PM »

Quote from: "Kevin Grey"
Played a Fair Amount Of, Didn't Really Click Then, Feel It Might Click Now, Therefore Damn Good Chance It Might Be Played Soon:
Resident Evil 4

Man, I have so many of these.  When a bunch of new games come out at the same time, I tend to get them all at the same time.  Then, unless one really grabs me, I end up jumping around from game to game and never put in the time or effort to really just enjoy one of them.  

Of course, now that my income has been slashed in half, that is going to drastically change.  I'm going to have to be much more picky on what games I buy from now on.

“My next great decision is just lying in wait.
The action might turn out to be the world's most grievous mistake."
- Bad Religion, Past is Dead
Zarkon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2005, 01:32:38 PM »

Let's just say my backlog is over 200 titles.
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2005, 03:22:17 PM »

Quote from: "Tebunker"
I've slowly began to turn a potential backlog into the, "gee I'll pick that up later" list, has definately saved me some major money over the past 8 months.

much to my wife's delight, i've been doing this as well for the last while...

so, um,... digital devil saga, &... er, that's about it, really...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: