http://gamingtrend.com
December 19, 2014, 01:49:16 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: List of Minecraft clones, or derivatives  (Read 839 times)
Turtle
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« on: April 13, 2013, 05:01:53 PM »

So, I'm looking for a good alternative to minecraft, preferably with more or better gameplay elements.

Here's the ones I know of:

Blockscape
http://www.blockscape.com/
Basically a higher resolution minecraft. The basic blocks are much smaller, and the are many more shapes of blocks, like wedges and such. It's also not using java, so it's doesn't have the same technical issues as minecraft. Haven't tried this yet, but since there really isn't much gameplay beyond building with smaller blocks, I'm skipping it.

Cube World (Unreleased)
http://wollay.blogspot.com/
Also search youtube for videos.
Minecraft meets 8 bit RPGs. Very colorful, with decent combat gameplay. Less emphasis on building, and more emphasis on exploring and combat, travelling across procedurally generated kingdoms.

Terraria
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2013, 09:31:45 PM »

Starbound is the next one that comes to mind.  terraria with spaceships.  Starforge is looking pretty interesting, as is planetary explorers. 

Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2013, 10:09:18 PM »

Does Terraria really count though?  Minecraft is a game about collecting materials from the environment, refining them, and building things with them.  Terraria appears to be about digging around aimlessly in total blackness, dying to hazards you cannot see, and forever wondering whether iron tools would be better than stone tools because it isn't worth making them to find out.

That's what I learned from the Giant Bomb Quick Look, anyhow.  And I hardly think someone as responsible and diligent as Brad Shoemaker would shortchange a game if it had anything to offer.

-Autistic Angel
EngineNo9

I said good day, sir!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2013, 12:42:20 AM »

The recent Giant Bomb Quick look of Terraria was pretty terrible.  Brad clearly didn't know how to play it and wasn't even putting torches on any of the walls.

Sandwiches do fix everything.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2013, 06:42:07 AM »

Quote from: EngineNo9 on April 14, 2013, 12:42:20 AM

The recent Giant Bomb Quick look of Terraria was pretty terrible.  Brad clearly didn't know how to play it and wasn't even putting torches on any of the walls.

If that's true...wow.

If you want to see what Terraria is like (basically a side-scrolling Minecraft except a lot more 'actiony'), go visit Youtube and search for a Let's Play of it. It's a lot of fun and is well worth the entry fee.

Starbound looks to be awesome. Another indie title I've heard of is called Darkout (and is actually buyable at this point).

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: