http://gamingtrend.com
September 02, 2014, 02:42:05 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Lines Already Forming for XB360  (Read 7867 times)
coopasonic
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: November 21, 2005, 10:55:52 PM »

The Best Buy near me that is doing the midnight lauch including 124 premium units, had a full parking lot and a line all the way around the back of the building at 3pm today.

The Wal-Mart I checked at around 4pm had all of the chairs full.

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
sclick
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 21, 2005, 11:18:01 PM »

My local BestBuy has 9 people in line for tommorow's 9AM opening. This is for an allocation of 36 premiums and 12 core.

I had considered getting up early and going out at 6AM or somethign to get in line, but I'm fairly sure that line will probably be full by midnight tonight. No way I'm gonna stand in line all night when I could just walk into any store in January and buy one.

It's a bit frustrating though. I realize I could have preordered back in the spring, but I had no enthusiasm for the thing after the horrible MTV special and equally horrible E3 launch. It's only lately that my interest has perked back up again.
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 21, 2005, 11:59:32 PM »

More insanity....even the PS2 was nowhere near this bad...

Damn - my walmart already had their 4 premiums spoken for at freaking noon. The other 2 walmarts had their 6 premiums spoken for by 3pm frown

I really underestimated this launch. I called the local Kmart and they aren't getting ANY units in and they dont know when they will.

My last chance is a local Target who opens at 8am but they won't tell me how many they got!! Is there a chance that Target only got core packs cause I would be pissed if waited overnight and they dont even have any premiums!

I watched people start lining up outside the Toys R' Us in Times Square early this morning. The line was about a quarter mile long when I left work. Funny thing is, it's raining now and is going to continue all night.

Glad mine's on a UPS truck and will be delivered to my door tommorow.

Went to my Walmart expecting not many people to be there at 4:30, just to scope everything out. There was already 10 people there and they had only 2 premiums, that's frickin nuts. Whoever says there isn't a shortage, imo is wrong.

They just showed on my local news the line outside Best Buy in Lincoln, NE. It went around the store corner and apparently was started yesterday at about 5:00 PM.

Dude, i just went to the best buy in sterling, va which is one of the stores doing the midngiht launhc and they have 194 systems..i got there at 4pm and the guy told me the line for waiting to get one was closed at 3pm...now that's crazy.

40 in line at my walmart for thier 40 units in KC MO. This was at 4:00 this afternoon.

My buddy just reported in from the Hawthorne CA BB, and they have about 150+ people in line as of around 2pm. His wife who's also in line with him sounded pissed. The worst bit is, soon I have to go and relieve one of them so we can get 2 X360s for ourselves.

OH WHY OH WHY DIDN'T I ENTER THE ZERO HOUR THINGY!!!! IT WAS ONLY ABOUT 45 MINUTES AWAY FROM ME!!!! PALMDALE IS NOT MOHAVE DESERT MS WTF!!!!!!!!!

just called another local Wal-Mart and they said they are not allowing people to form a line... but at 10pm they will start their line, for a midnight sale - a mere 2 hours after the line forms, in the Layaway Dept.. They only have 22 systems (premium).

I can only imagine the chaos that is going to ensue. I think I will go and take pictures of this event... it's gonna be wild!

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: November 22, 2005, 01:02:07 AM »

I just went by the Best Buy near my apartment... only 8 or so people in line.  That particular store has 52 units allocated to it.  Not nearly as many people as I expected, considering this is the most affluent county in the state.

Edit: CompUSA has 5 or 6 in line
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 22, 2005, 01:47:36 AM »

God, nerds can be so funny sometimes.

Edit: Just had to add that I love the nutrient-enriched bottle of water that the gamer has in the bottom picture. That guy's ready for his demanding marathon session of sitting and scratching.

Now Playing: GTA - San Andreas [PS2]
Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: November 22, 2005, 02:33:53 AM »

Anyone else watching G4's 3 hour live coverage of the launch?

Funny stuff!

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 22, 2005, 02:37:52 AM »

I just went to the walmart nearest me. I have no idea how many they are getting, but it is rainy, cold, and miserable here. There were between 5-10 people in line. I may go there in a few minutes and wait it out. I think I will get a system if I do.
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 22, 2005, 03:00:01 AM »

Quote from: "Calvin"
I just went to the walmart nearest me. I have no idea how many they are getting, but it is rainy, cold, and miserable here. There were between 5-10 people in line. I may go there in a few minutes and wait it out. I think I will get a system if I do.

Go! Go! Go!

Co-Op Smash TV over Live! Do you really need another reason???   biggrin

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 22, 2005, 03:07:19 AM »

Quote from: "Calvin"

Man, that's sounds like a great bet.  And not too long of a wait until midnight either.
Jimmy the Fish

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 22, 2005, 04:22:29 AM »

I was all set to go to my local Best Buy at 5am, but at 6:45pm, as I drove by, there was already a line of 15 or so people.  I went home and started to pack stuff for an immediate overnight stay, but I realized how insane an idea it was. Maybe if I was 23 years old and had the enthusiasm I'd do it, but at 37 years old and having a 20 month old daughter, I just don't see the point. I'll get a 360 eventually, and it's not like I don't have a ton of other games to play.

I feel like such an old loser... :roll:
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 22, 2005, 04:26:23 AM »

The girlfriend wanted to see what all this "360" hubbub from me is all about, so we did a drive-by of two Best Buys and a Target in Boston.  It's cold and rainy, and it looks like only half of the people in line thought to bring an umbrella.  The Target had about 10 people, and the strip mall Best Buy had maybe 30-40.  The Best Buy by Fenway had the most, maybe 50-70?

Good thing it's only 47 degrees tonight, it was below freezing a few nights ago.

Oh yeah, and there was a police presence watching over one of the Best Buy lines!  :shock:
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 22, 2005, 04:32:36 AM »

Quote from: "Jimmy the Fish"
I was all set to go to my local Best Buy at 5am, but at 6:45pm, as I drove by, there was already a line of 15 or so people.  I went home and started to pack stuff for an immediate overnight stay, but I realized how insane an idea it was. Maybe if I was 23 years old and had the enthusiasm I'd do it, but at 37 years old and having a 20 month old daughter, I just don't see the point. I'll get a 360 eventually, and it's not like I don't have a ton of other games to play.

I feel like such an old loser... :roll:

Heh, that's why I preordered back in May. I stayed in line all night for the PS2 and I am getting too old for that shit now. I have 2 kids now and I am not the young early 20-something I used to be...I'm now pushing 30 and don't feel like freezing my ass off all night long again.

Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 22, 2005, 04:36:58 AM »

Ha ha, part of me almost wants to camp out for the damn thing, just for the experience. There's no way I can (because of work, and because I don't have five hundred dollars Canadian to pony up for the system alone), but I'd be totally down for it. I really would. I think it'd be a wonderfully geeky memory to have. The weather sure as hell sucks in Vancouver right about now, though.

*Sigh* Maybe I'll be able to pull it off for the PS3. (Um ... can I even mention that in this thread? :roll: )

Now Playing: GTA - San Andreas [PS2]
Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
stiffler

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: November 22, 2005, 04:42:10 AM »

I want to see pictures of the lines for the Japanese 360 launch.

*crickets chirping*

Maybe Microsoft will hire models to stand in line like they did at the MTV launch.

Xbox Live Gamertag: cstiffler
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 22, 2005, 05:00:27 AM »

And while just hanging out at a local store, I found GatorFavre and his wife camping out in line for a 360!  Lucky, lucky.

TheMissingLink on PSN
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 22, 2005, 05:07:11 AM »

Quote from: "sclick"
My local BestBuy has 9 people in line for tommorow's 9AM opening. This is for an allocation of 36 premiums and 12 core.

Our local Best Buy has a line of easily a hundred people, and they're only allocated 42 premium and 12 core systems.

I left work at 11, drove around, saw all the lines and the people in tents with little gas grills setup, and I bowed out.

I'm unfortunately waiting until they're just available on the shelves.

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 22, 2005, 05:12:14 AM »

Well by the time my friend got here to go with me, we found an umbrella, I got my cash, and got there, we were 15th in line. The walmart was getting only, get this, 10 premiums and 3 cores. We were screwed so we left.

We decided to try out Tower Records thinking no one would be there. Well, only 5 guys were-they had been there since 6pm, but Tower was getting 3 fucking units. Anyways, the only other options would have involved staying somewhere overnight-and if we had done this we likely could have gotten a system. In fact, I probably still could. I might even check out Target around 5am tomorrow if I wake up in time or simply dont go to sleep before then, but I am not willing to wait outside in the freezing cold and pouring rain until 8am to get one. I just dont have the desire to do that.

So yeah, I am pretty bummed out at this point.
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 22, 2005, 05:14:42 AM »

The first After Action Reports are starting to come in...

I camped out at the wal-mart in wilkes barre, PA tonight, from around 5pm till 10pm. The store manager, some elderly twit with a grey bob hairdo, decided to not tell any of the customers where the "360 tickets" would be given out tonight. They only had 48 of them in stock. About 300 of us milled around the store for hours, till they anounced over the speaker system that the tickets were being given out in the INFANTS dept. What a load of crap. There was a mad dash with 300 people converging on the small location.

I saw people getting trampled, punched, pushed, and run over. One guy tripped, banged his head off the floor, and about 6 other people running tried running right over him only to fall themselves and form a pile of bodies on the floor.One girl was literally squeezed out of the crowd into a frito's display. I heard her crying for help as we were pushed forward by the crowd. We made it to the location and it was like one of those soccer riots where a crowd is smashed together into one fleshy lump.

Suddenly the police force arrives and starts pushing, yelling, and shoving everyone into a tighter mass. Then the cops announce that the xbox is sold out, yet there were no tickets given out.

I actually confronted one of these genius cops and told him it was bullshit, that no tickets were given out since I was in front and saw noone get one. He looked like he would have killed me if the crowd wasn't there. Then I said again rather loudly to show us where the tickets were given out and a few others started yelling that it was bullshit too, and that shut him up and he left.

So no one we saw actually got an xbox360. Everyone was yelling about it, and I think they actually didn't give out any tickets. Was a complete and utter fiasco. Has left me so disillusioned and annoyed that I'm not planning on picking up a 360 anytime soon. This was so mishandled that they can shove the 360 up Bill Gates butt. And I think tonight this wal-mart lost about 300 customers. I know I was planning on picking up a HDTV if I couldn't get a 360 but I won't ever shop there again.

Holy crap!   :shock:

Jimmy the Fish

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 22, 2005, 06:08:00 AM »

Wow, I suddenly don't feel so bad about not camping out.

That AAR is sad. Simply sad.
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 22, 2005, 06:08:50 AM »

Although I'm sure it will get ugly that story reeks of BS (especially our protagonist standing up to "the genius cop.").

We'll see in the morning though- anything on that scale (300 people rioting inside a Walmart) would make the news.
rrmorton

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: November 22, 2005, 06:13:45 AM »

Yeah, I'm not buying it.

(The story, that is, not the 360. Already bought that. WOOHOO!)
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: November 22, 2005, 07:29:24 AM »

Let's see...

I walked in with my preorder and walked out with my console 15 minutes later at my local Gamestop.

Ah, the joys of preordering a console 6 months in advance... biggrin

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Harpua3

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 22, 2005, 07:53:48 AM »

I`m waiting anyway. Not by choice, but anyway... :wink:
Meisterbrew
Special Project Group
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 22, 2005, 09:00:11 AM »

man i wish i could float a chec but my payday is to far away... oh well smile
JLu

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 22, 2005, 02:24:30 PM »

I am #3 in line at my local costco,  got here an hour and a half before open.  I shall be online in a few hours!!

XBox Live Gamertag: JLu
DamageInc

Starts with s and ends with litting their throats

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 22, 2005, 02:29:21 PM »

Congrats

Picked mine up last night at 12 AM boy am I tired. Stayed up till I went to work at 4 AM to set it up and play, hehe.

The freaks come out at nine and it's twenty to ten
Captain Caveman

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 22, 2005, 02:30:45 PM »

Lines around here were crazy, so I passed on getting a 360 for now. I wonder when stores like Target, BB, etc. are getting their next shipment in....
gilgamex
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 22, 2005, 02:50:25 PM »

I just got back from waiting in line at target. I came home empty handed. they got 48 systems in. I was #50 in line. Arrrgh! so freaking close.  I guess I was kind of lucky in a sense because #49 had been waiting a lot longer than me.

oh well... i tried. I am done with trying to get one anytime soon. If I see one in the stores then I will buy one. But I will not wait in lines anymore. I guess my introduction to the next-gen will be with my PC and titles like FEAR and CoD2.
gilgamex
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 22, 2005, 02:51:57 PM »

Quote from: "Captain Caveman"
Lines around here were crazy, so I passed on getting a 360 for now. I wonder when stores like Target, BB, etc. are getting their next shipment in....

The manager at the Target I just depressingly waited at had told us that they expect another shipment in a week. He did state that they will only trickle in from now on. (i.e. 4-5 a week). So it should still be kinda tough to get one.
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 22, 2005, 02:53:17 PM »

Quote from: "Captain Caveman"

One guy I know of on another board who's been right several times before about moves at Microsoft said he was told they would ship out a much larger batch of the 360 around December 13th.

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
JLu

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 22, 2005, 03:27:15 PM »

I'm sitting at home with the bundle in hand.  Extra controller, play and charge kit, Kameo, and a Premium XBox.

And then I looked on EBay.  And the first one I saw for a premium alone was $1800.  As much as I want to open this thing I have to look to see what ones selling today are going for.  I had no intent of doing that whilst waiting in line, but man, for that much, I can wait until EB shipment two comes in.

EDIT: Ok feel better now -- 14 pages of Premium systems up there with auctions ending in the next 24 hours.  I can open this without feeling stupid that I might have missed out on enough money to buy two more systems.

My Costco actually had it setup well.  They handed out numbers about an hour before opening, and after 24, they put up a sign.  Good crowd control...  Off to open this bad boy up!

XBox Live Gamertag: JLu
Starshifter

CINEMAGIC on XM!

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 22, 2005, 03:51:53 PM »

Quote from: "Destructor"
Let's see...

I walked in with my preorder and walked out with my console 15 minutes later at my local Gamestop.

Ah, the joys of preordering a console 6 months in advance... biggrin

Same here!  I have mine sitting right next to me here at work!  I can't wait to get home! biggrin

CINEMAGIC - Escape into the Movies!
XM Channel 76
Scott

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: November 22, 2005, 04:03:33 PM »

My Best Buy had 24 premium systems.  Quite a few of the allocated 44 went to Magnolia Home Theater customers, and two to charity.  I managed to get #20.  The line started yesterday at 5pm.  Crazy.  There were cops, a fire, and lots of sad moms who got their late this morning.

---
XBox Live: ScottW
JodoKast
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: November 22, 2005, 05:53:17 PM »

I was one of those crazies at the Plano, TX Best Buy midnight sale.  A coworker called around noon and found out about 40-50 people were already in line so we headed over.  We got there a little before 1pm and it turned out we were number 82 and 83 in line.  

The Best Buy got 126 of the premium units, but they said they were holding 20 of them for the morning which would have pissed me off if I was number 107 in line.  The store handled the launch very well they wrote down peoples names around 3pm and then handed out tickets around 5:30.  Around 8pm they came around and took everyones order so that when you went in and gave them your ticket, they already had a basket with your Xbox and any games/accessories you wanted right there so you could just get right in line.  We got out of the store about 12:35.  They also handed out free tacos, coffee, hot chocolate, tee shirts and a few other little 360 trinkets throughout the day/night.

Before people start saying I don't have a life.  Well I admit it was crazy, but I'm 35 have a wife and a child and have a wonderful life.  I don't drink, don't smoke, and if waiting in line for a console makes me happy then I'm gonna do it.  Ohh and it did make me happy, a lot of the night we were playing multiplayer PSP and DS games with others in line.  Had a great time playing Mario Kart.

Gamertag : NJ Devilfish
TheGameAh
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 22, 2005, 06:07:44 PM »

Quote from: "JodoKast"
I was one of those crazies at the Plano, TX Best Buy midnight sale.  A coworker called around noon and found out about 40-50 people were already in line so we headed over.  We got there a little before 1pm and it turned out we were number 82 and 83 in line.  

The Best Buy got 126 of the premium units, but they said they were holding 20 of them for the morning which would have pissed me off if I was number 107 in line.  The store handled the launch very well they wrote down peoples names around 3pm and then handed out tickets around 5:30.  Around 8pm they came around and took everyones order so that when you went in and gave them your ticket, they already had a basket with your Xbox and any games/accessories you wanted right there so you could just get right in line.  We got out of the store about 12:35.  They also handed out free tacos, coffee, hot chocolate, tee shirts and a few other little 360 trinkets throughout the day/night.

Before people start saying I don't have a life.  Well I admit it was crazy, but I'm 35 have a wife and a child and have a wonderful life.  I don't drink, don't smoke, and if waiting in line for a console makes me happy then I'm gonna do it.  Ohh and it did make me happy, a lot of the night we were playing multiplayer PSP and DS games with others in line.  Had a great time playing Mario Kart.

They gave out frickin' tacos?  !!!!

And don't feel you have to justify yourself to this crowd  smile
Jimmy the Fish

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: November 22, 2005, 06:17:27 PM »

Well after deciding last night I would not line up anywhere, I took a chance and went to another local Best Buy at 5:30am. I was 37 out of 40 and got a premium package.

No way will I do this for the PS3 launch. This time was enough for me.
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: November 22, 2005, 06:25:00 PM »

Swung by Costco today to try to score one for a buddy of mine... Costco didn't have *any*.

Very strange.

gellar
JodoKast
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: November 22, 2005, 07:00:56 PM »

Quote from: "Jimmy the Fish"
Well after deciding last night I would not line up anywhere, I took a chance and went to another local Best Buy at 5:30am. I was 37 out of 40 and got a premium package.

No way will I do this for the PS3 launch. This time was enough for me.

Very nice.  I drove by my local Best Buy in Mansfield, TX on my way home from Plano last night and at 1:30ish there were already 60 or so people in line and I'm not sure that Best Buy was going to get that many units.

Gamertag : NJ Devilfish
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: November 22, 2005, 07:12:33 PM »

Went out to one of the local walmarts after class yesterday.   I got there right about 4pm.  There were 17 people in line already.  I figured I was out of luck.  But I was wrong!  The store got 24 premium systems.  I was number 18 in line.

Had to sit around for 8 hours, but I was a happy camper at the end.  Now of course I have to actually get some time to play with it.  Spent about 20 minutes with Perfect Dark before I had to get some sleep, write a paper and take a test.  

Soon as I am done with class tonight...... let the fun begin!

Pikachu, I Blame you!
Jarrodhk

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: November 22, 2005, 07:15:28 PM »

Went out to one of the local walmarts after class yesterday.   I got there right about 4pm.  There were 17 people in line already.  I figured I was out of luck.  But I was wrong!  The store got 24 premium systems.  I was number 18 in line.

Had to sit around for 8 hours, but I was a happy camper at the end.  Now of course I have to actually get some time to play with it.  Spent about 20 minutes with Perfect Dark before I had to get some sleep, write a paper and take a test.  

Soon as I am done with class tonight...... let the fun begin!

Pikachu, I Blame you!
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: