http://gamingtrend.com
April 21, 2014, 12:09:12 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Lines Already Forming for XB360  (Read 7729 times)
Hetz
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: November 21, 2005, 03:46:23 PM »

Oh my lord I'm glad I have my system already...

People are already lining up outside Best Buy and Walmarts in various cities for the midnight launch. The Houston, TX BB already has 30 people in line.

This is going to be crazy...

XBox Live: Hetz OO
PSN: Hetz76
Steam: hetz_gg
Booner

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2005, 03:51:26 PM »

I guess I'll be making an 11:00PM drive by of my local retailers to judge the lines. I'm lucky enough to have about 10 sellers within 10 minutes from my place. smile
Knightshade Dragon
Administrator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2005, 04:33:02 PM »

Yep, I'm seeing em too.  At least they know where to line up, unlike some Star Wars people...

Ron Burke
EiC, Director of Gaming Trend
Gamertag:
Gaming Trend
PS3 Tag: GamingTrend
Captain Caveman

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2005, 04:34:29 PM »

Oh shit. This does not bode well. I guess it's time to look forward to getting my 360 in January .  biggrin
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2005, 04:38:44 PM »

Holy crap.  30 people that early?  

Where do you get your info, Hetz?    Tongue

XBox Live Gamertag: Pr0ner
Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2005, 04:44:34 PM »

My nephew works at a BestBuy in Philly.  According to him, they got 36 units in  (TOTAL).

I sure as heck hope they tell anyone after #36 in line this, or, beings that this is Philadelphia we are talking about, we could have some "issues".

This might just be really fun to watch.

Tongue

LD

"A young woman led them across the galaxy, and it is she who will lead them again.  Her name is Karan S'jet."
markus
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2005, 04:52:23 PM »

A friend of mine was trying to get one at a Walmart in Virginia and went down there this morning.  There were already 6 people in line since 1AM last night.  That store is only getting something like 4 premiums and 6 cores.

I hope that the cold temps and forcast of rain/snow up here will dissuade some people from waiting overnight for the morning openings.  I'm getting a bad feeing about this.  frown
warning

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2005, 05:10:40 PM »

Ah yes.  You really haven't lived life until you've stood in a line for hours to buy a video game console.
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2005, 06:10:23 PM »

More reports from the front lines:

Live update on the walmart in Schererville Indiana, south side of Chicago. 32 Prem. and 10 cores. About 40 people in line and my girlfriend is #6 in line. WOOT.

I'm here at the Daytona Beach, FL WalMart, where it's 12:13 in the afternoon. Right now, there are four people here, including myself. I spoke on the phone earlier with the WalMart associates and they told me they are only getting 16 systems

I just called 2 Walmarts and a Bestbuy in my area. When I asked if they were selling the 360 tonight at midnight, 2 of the three people LITERALLY LAUGHED. They said they've had a line since 8am this morning!! Unbelievable....I want a 360, but there is no way I'm waiting in line for 12-24 hours!! That's insane!

As of yesterday, there were 25ish people in line at the Redmond Best Buy

wow, I called the walmart supercenter in salem,nh and they are doing 1 per customer no numbers etc...and there is a line right now IN SALEM NH

Stopped by the WalMart closest to my work place, by the Doral area in Miami. There is already 7 people waiting in the line and they only have 14 premium and more of the core systems.

I'm heading to the Best Buy at Dadeland Station after work to see how many people are already in the line. If there is too many people, I guess I will have to wait for Circuit City, because the CompUSA near by Dadeland only got 4 premiums in stock :-(

LOL

the wal mart I planned on going has 20 people in line arleady

bye!

just like to say, after calling around in the boston/nh area, pretty fucked for getting one at launch

WOW

This is insane. It's going to be a madhouse tonight/tomorrow. It's bigger than the PS2 launch!

JLu

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2005, 06:16:05 PM »

Hearing this makes me feel better about deciding to skip waiting in a line tonight.

I'm EB shipment two -- which all reports I've seen should be 2 weeks out at worst.  A full night sleep > getting there at midnight to find out I'm already (total Xbox 360s +1).

XBox Live Gamertag: JLu
Booner

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2005, 06:21:11 PM »

Jeez. If I'm confronted with this nonsense in my mid-sized walmart-bestbuy-circuit city-target on every corner town, I'll begin to doubt the sanity of the world.

...well, maybe just re-evaluate how crazy people really are. smile
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2005, 06:21:56 PM »

We have one of the Best Buys with the extra 100 unit allocations, I'm thinking of driving by there this afternoon just to get a picture. biggrin

edit: "buy their"?!? I gotta get more sleep....

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
pr0ner

Go Flames go!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2005, 06:22:02 PM »

It's sad.  All this talk about the general goodness of the launch games makes me want to go get an XBox 360 at launch.

However, common sense prevails.  I'll casually stroll into Best Buy tomorrow, and if they have one, great.  If not, oh well, I can wait.

Mike

XBox Live Gamertag: Pr0ner
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2005, 06:24:53 PM »

Quote from: "warning"
Ah yes.  You really haven't lived life until you've stood in a line for hours to buy a video game console.

I paid my dues with the PS2 launch. I stood in line all night to buy one of those damn things.

Now, I'm glad I can rest easy with the system in my hands.

Anyway, I went down to Gamestop today and did my good deed for the week. I canceled my preordered system. The guy there said I had just made some young lady very happy cause she had just come in and was next on the list to get one, if someone canceled. She was pretty upset that she couldn't get one.

They called her while I was canceling and she was so excited. It made me smile to be able to help someone else get one tonight. smile

Booner

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2005, 06:28:20 PM »

Out of curiousity, how many of these lines are in areas with kids already off of school for thanksgiving? If they are supposed to be in school...a call to the truancy officer may be a fruitful endeavor.  :lol:
whiteboyskim
Senior Staff Writer

Hard partier

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2005, 06:32:25 PM »

Costco or Sams Club, my friends. If you know someone with a membership, then have them swing by and pick one up. Odds are they'll have them because 1) they're not advertising how many they have or that they even have them, and 2) no one thinks about those stores anyway for having great gaming gear or systems. slywink

Behold the glory of my new blog!
Filmmaking is vision plus faith plus balls, all 3 of which Hollywood knows little about.
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2005, 06:37:10 PM »

Makes me so glad I preordered back in May. Man, this is nuts.

And it doesn't surprise me one bit.

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2005, 06:49:56 PM »

Isn't MS planning on having a steady stream of consoles throughout the hollidays, instead of one massive unit push at the start? I thought that was their strategy, to dynamically ship units where they're most needed, and to move units from areas that aren't selling them to other areas that have greater demand. (Geez, where did I read this? I know it was linked from one of these threads.)

Now Playing: GTA - San Andreas [PS2]
Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2005, 06:50:51 PM »

Damn you, human nature!  I can't help but find myself wanting a 360 more and more as it keeps getting more impossible to get.
Booner

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2005, 07:09:17 PM »

It is much worse than I could have possibly imagined!
Captain Caveman

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2005, 07:10:31 PM »

Quote from: "Booner"
It is much worse than I could have possibly imagined!

That's not for the 360. McRib is back!
The_Man

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2005, 07:39:25 PM »

I just left Wal MArt and they already had all 24 chairs filled for the premium systems.  Oddly enough, all 20 chairs for the core system were empty.
ATB

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2005, 07:42:18 PM »

Hetz: Do you work or have family or anything? Just curious  Cool
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2005, 07:47:42 PM »

Ironically, they'll spend more time in line than it will take to complete the games they're buying slywink

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: November 21, 2005, 07:55:33 PM »

Quote from: "The_Man"
I just left Wal MArt and they already had all 24 chairs filled for the premium systems.  Oddly enough, all 20 chairs for the core system were empty.

Can't imagine why... Could it possibly be that Microsoft screwed up and nobody wants the 3shitty?

Love the Walmart picture, BTW. Priceless. biggrin

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 21, 2005, 08:16:32 PM »

Walmarts around my area:

Reports from Brunswick, Georgia:

6 people in line at 11 am this morning confirmed by my dad.

Jacksonville, Florida --   more people in line at noon then they had systems to distribute.

Savannah, Georgia --  28 people in line as of 1 pm this afternoon -- confirmed by my friend's mother who works for the police department and has been asked to send around officers at midnight for security reasons.

I hope there is a pile of hot coals in HELL for these executives at Microsoft to sit on.   This STINKS.  It's TERRIBLE.   People want these systems, and they should have done enough to provide them.    Dreamcast didn't have this problem -- the only people who have had this problem is every freakin launch since Sony started pulling this shit for publicity purposes.

Looks like the underside of my Christmas tree will be empty this Christmas since my preorder is likely not to come in until January.    :x  :x  :x  :x
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 21, 2005, 08:35:29 PM »

Try a costco or sams club if you have one around you.
Ralph-Wiggum

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 21, 2005, 08:44:17 PM »

Quote from: "Arkon"
Try a costco or sams club if you have one around you.

Don't you need a membership to shop at either of those stores?
msduncan

Roll Tide!!!!

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 21, 2005, 08:46:04 PM »

Oh WOW!  I didn't think about Sam's Club!
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 21, 2005, 08:52:45 PM »

Quote from: "ATB"
Hetz: Do you work or have family or anything? Just curious  Cool

Yes, on both counts....but I have off until Wednesday from work. smile

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 21, 2005, 08:56:52 PM »

Quote from: "Dafones"
Isn't MS planning on having a steady stream of consoles throughout the hollidays, instead of one massive unit push at the start? I thought that was their strategy, to dynamically ship units where they're most needed, and to move units from areas that aren't selling them to other areas that have greater demand. (Geez, where did I read this? I know it was linked from one of these threads.)

I don't think anyone knows (store managers most certainly included) when follow-on shipments arrive and how much will be in each shipment.
Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 21, 2005, 09:02:12 PM »

First Armed Robbery Reported:

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6140176.html

Consoles taken at gunpoint just hours ago; thief apprehended, consoles recovered.

A Stafford, Virginia, Electronics Boutique store was the scene of an armed robbery this morning. According to sources, the perpetrator made off with two Xbox 360 systems, forcing the store manager to hand them over at gun point.

Sources tell GameSpot the local police responded quickly, cordoned off the store, and immediately pursued the thief. The thief was apprehended shortly afterwards.

Because the police consider the heist an ongoing criminal investigation, store employees were reluctant to discuss details of the robbery. But as of press time, the store is open, and all systems are back to normal.

"We're all fine and everything is cool," a store staffer told GameSpot.

By Curt Feldman -- GameSpot
Posted Nov 21, 2005 11:55 am PT

Be careful at those midnight launches people....

Hetz

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 21, 2005, 09:04:21 PM »

OMG

http://smashmyxbox.com/

That is going to be a pretty funny video to watch....

Dafones

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 21, 2005, 09:20:51 PM »

Oh sweet God, I hate them so much for doing such a thing, and yet I can't help but want to be there in person.

Now Playing: GTA - San Andreas [PS2]
Yoshi's Island DS [DS]
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: November 21, 2005, 09:23:35 PM »

Quote from: "Hetz"

That's JUST what I wanted to hear for when I'm out a midnight tonight...

Thankfully my store is in a good area as far as the general public goes, but...

Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 21, 2005, 09:26:12 PM »

Quote from: "Hetz"

Consoles taken at gunpoint just hours ago; thief apprehended, consoles recovered.

A Stafford, Virginia, Electronics Boutique store was the scene of an armed robbery this morning. According to sources, the perpetrator made off with two Xbox 360 systems, forcing the store manager to hand them over at gun point.

Sources tell GameSpot the local police responded quickly, cordoned off the store, and immediately pursued the thief. The thief was apprehended shortly afterwards.

Because the police consider the heist an ongoing criminal investigation, store employees were reluctant to discuss details of the robbery. But as of press time, the store is open, and all systems are back to normal.

"We're all fine and everything is cool," a store staffer told GameSpot.

By Curt Feldman -- GameSpot
Posted Nov 21, 2005 11:55 am PT

Wow, It's kinda funny how desperate someone would get to get a 360.  Another indication that gaming IS like crack.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
Autistic Angel

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 21, 2005, 09:32:59 PM »

OMG

http://smashmyxbox.com/

That is going to be a pretty funny video to watch....

Sounds like a pale imitation of that old ScroogeMyChristmas.com prank where they took bags full of new, donated toys and methodically destroyed them on the lawns of local orphanages to "teach the kids a lesson."

Now *that* was hilarious!

-Autistic Angel
Arclight

Truth, is a person.

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 21, 2005, 10:04:30 PM »

I'm a gamer through and through......Yet I can never get my head around hype like this...

I just don't get it............Not that that worries me, it's just very strange to me....

I might consider getting one around February or so..They should have dropped a bit in price by then..

Grace: Unmerited favor.
Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 21, 2005, 10:16:21 PM »

Don't plan on seeing any price drops before the PS3 is released.
Thin_J

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 21, 2005, 10:36:25 PM »

I'm more than a little disappointed by this news.

I had taken a wait and see approach, but after playing PGR3 I was pretty well sold. So I was intending to leave work tonight at 11 instead of 1 and head to wal-mart. Instead it looks like I'm just going home.

I know the wal-mart here is supposed to get 24 core and 24 regular systems. But I suspect if I went at 11 I wouldn't be able to get anything but the garbage core one.

I may still give it a shot, but I doubt it.

I'll swing by Best Buy and see if I can nab pictures if there's people sitting outside their doors already. Our BB is due 42 of the regular systems and only 12 core boxes. I originally thought Best Buy might give me my best chance at getting one, but then someone leaked all their allocations to the internet.. so I figure they're going to be pretty crowded.

Xbox Live: Thin J
PSN: Thin_J
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: