http://gamingtrend.com
December 20, 2014, 12:24:19 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Lightsaber in Kotor 2  (Read 7408 times)
ATB
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 13, 2005, 03:32:44 PM »

You'll have the saber for a good long while once you get it so don't worry.

In fact, it seems that people start handing them out like candy after a while.

I haven't advanced my Jedi any further since starting my Sith character.

Let me say: Dark side offensive powers really kick a whole lot of butt.

I see why one would so wish to go to the dark side.  It IS power.

My dark side guy is following the same planetary route as my good character (I've just hit korribon- my first planet)  but he, I would guess, is quite a bit more powerful than my Jedi was at this point.

That said, playing through as Sith, the game feels COMPLETELY different.  Different things have happened in many different ways.

Totally awesome.

I am- literally- addicted to this game.
ChrisGwinn
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 13, 2005, 05:16:37 PM »

Quote from: "Stardrifter"
Quote from: "El Guapo"
Well, the 34 hours w/out a lightsaber is mostly the cost of your extensive role-playing.  You could get it more quickly if you were willing to "jedi speed" run around more often.

I thought of that (using Jedi speed to "zip" around) but figured it's not realistic (in a fantasy sense).  I mean if I were really a Jedi I wouldn't be Force speeding around the neighborhood.  It's just part of my extensive roleplaying as you say. :wink:

If I was a Jedi, I would absolutely use force speed every time I needed to go anywhere.  I would also use force pull to get the remote off of the coffee table.
croman
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 13, 2005, 05:18:54 PM »

Really?  I feel like my Sith is weaker than my Jedi was.  Not sure why.. I am hoping it is just because I was used to the power that my Jedi had when I finished the Light Side
Starshifter

CINEMAGIC on XM!

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 13, 2005, 05:29:36 PM »

Quote from: "ChrisGwinn"
If I was a Jedi, I would absolutely use force speed every time I needed to go anywhere.  I would also use force pull to get the remote off of the coffee table.

That is a classic!  :lol:

CINEMAGIC - Escape into the Movies!
XM Channel 76
Starshifter

CINEMAGIC on XM!

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 13, 2005, 05:37:17 PM »

Quote from: "ATB"
That said, playing through as Sith, the game feels COMPLETELY different.  Different things have happened in many different ways.  Totally awesome.

I wish I could play through the game again as a Sith.  I was light side Jedi in KOTOR 1 and couldn't play again as the bad guy.  It is just not in my nature to be nasty or power hungry.  I've tried to roleplay bad guys but I can't do it.  I see the "nasty" responses in the dialog tree and can't imagine ever replying like that.  I always want to help the underdog.

I am your quintessential "good guy." You know, the type that women hate because they are boring and less exciting.  :\

XM Channel 76
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 13, 2005, 06:42:18 PM »

I wish I could play through the game again as a Sith.  I was light side Jedi in KOTOR 1 and couldn't play again as the bad guy.  It is just not in my nature to be nasty or power hungry.  I've tried to roleplay bad guys but I can't do it.  I see the "nasty" responses in the dialog tree and can't imagine ever replying like that.  I always want to help the underdog.

That's how I was until this game.  The 'is Kreia good or evil?' sort of mystery/ambiguity that runs through the game got me to rethink it though.  Also her advice that the repercussions of actions that we commit out of kindness may in fact be detrimental to others really caused me to think....

I was so intrigued that I had to do it all again as evil.  I still plan to finish the game as a Jedi first (there's something neat about seeing your character bathed in light looking magnificent and decent and heroic), but will definitely be going all the way to the end as a Sith too.  A Sith LORD no less  :twisted: !

Minor spoiler:

As I have been playing through as the evil character, Kreia- and much of my crew- has expressed her concern about the path I'm choosing.  At one point I slaughtered a secretary and the game gave a quick dialogue cutscene with Kreia: "I grow tired of your needless brutality.' KREIA- INFLUENCE LOST.

I decided to reload and let the secretary go... smile I didn't want to lose the influence because it helps to reveal quite a bit later on

End minor spoiler.

Unless the ending is as bad as farley says it is, i'm ready to call this game my best XBOX experience ever.
El Guapo
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 13, 2005, 06:51:17 PM »

Let me say: Dark side offensive powers really kick a whole lot of butt.

I see why one would so wish to go to the dark side.  It IS power.

Actually, it is possible to use both powers.  I played as a Consular/Sith Lord with high wisdom & charisma, & I found that I was able to use light side powers without running out of force points (actually, I never really ran out of force points - consulars get a shit-ton of them).

I only wound up using two dark side powers regularly anyways, though: lightning & drain life.  

So if I was playing through light side (especially as a consular, maybe as a sentinel) I would probably still pick up those powers.

Though it wouldn't fit with role-playing.
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 13, 2005, 07:14:54 PM »

I don't like to mix my powers though. Good guys should only use good guy powers smile....but my jedi does have level 1 lightning.

With the soon to be SITH LORD, he can lightning for whole battles and not even use 1/4 of his force points.
El Guapo
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 13, 2005, 10:11:41 PM »

Also, Force Wave is ridiculously overpowered, as it was in KOTOR 1, especially for consulars.  It does big damage and stuns everyone (at least as a consular no one seemed to be able to resist it).

At the end I could just force wave & lightning, & that would kill the entire room.
Starshifter

CINEMAGIC on XM!

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 14, 2005, 01:30:56 AM »

I don't like to mix my powers though. Good guys should only use good guy powers smile

Unbelievable.  ATB, you must be my long lost brother!  I am exactly the same way.  My Jedi will only use Light Side Force powers and Universal Force powers.  As a matter of fact, in KOTOR 1 and now in the sequel (and to think of it in any Star Wars videogame), I have NEVER used a dark side Force power!

XM Channel 76
Starshifter

CINEMAGIC on XM!

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 14, 2005, 01:37:19 AM »

That's how I was until this game.  The 'is Kreia good or evil?' sort of mystery/ambiguity that runs through the game got me to rethink it though.  Also her advice that the repercussions of actions that we commit out of kindness may in fact be detrimental to others really caused me to think...

I'm beginning to think the same way about Kreia.  I can't seem to influence her to the light side one bit.  I may be a goody Jedi but, like you said, some of her advice is really starting to make me think as well (and beginning to annoy me).  But, it makes me want to try even harder to show her "the light."  Ony one time on Peragus I actually influenced her only to lose that influence all in the same conversation!

XM Channel 76
croman
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 14, 2005, 06:18:32 PM »

I don't like to mix my powers though. Good guys should only use good guy powers smile

Unbelievable.  ATB, you must be my long lost brother!  I am exactly the same way.  My Jedi will only use Light Side Force powers and Universal Force powers.  As a matter of fact, in KOTOR 1 and now in the sequel (and to think of it in any Star Wars videogame), I have NEVER used a dark side Force power!

Unfortunately I am the same way.  The reason I say unfortunately is because while playing the Dark Side, I realize how much I miss the Heal power
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 14, 2005, 06:53:16 PM »

Unfortunately I am the same way.  The reason I say unfortunately is because while playing the Dark Side, I realize how much I miss the Heal power

Ooops. I actually did take heal for my Sith character. I figure, that someone truly evil would take advantage of every opportunity and power- especially if it means that they have a better shot at killing and corrupting-and the healing power falls into this category. My sith guy is consumate evil, but he's also into self preservation...and healing allows him to do that.

On the Jedi side, I don't think a jedi would touch the filth of the dark side powers.  It's sort of like a modern day good guy vs. bad guy story.  Good guys try to kill the enemies while perserving innocence. Evil kills everyone without caring...

Small Nar Shaddar Spoiler

Quick note: I'm now on Nar Shaddar and there's the one small quest to rescue the daughter who has been kidnapped by slavers.  Even though I'm evil...I had to rescue her.  So at least a bit of the light side still is in his heart....slywink.

End Spoiler
Starshifter

CINEMAGIC on XM!

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 06, 2005, 02:23:11 AM »

I GOT MY LIGHTSABER!
I GOT MY LIGHTSABER!
I GOT MY LIGHTSABER!

YES! thumbsup

Officially at 45hrs in on Dantooine!

And how fitting is this:  just finished watching Return of the Jedi on DVD and then I popped in KOTOR 2 and shortly thereafter - LIGHTSABER!

I know.  Saturday night and I'm excited because I got a lightsaber in a videogame.  It's a long story.  I'll tell you all sometime. smile

XM Channel 76
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 08, 2005, 08:17:57 PM »

I GOT MY LIGHTSABER!
I GOT MY LIGHTSABER!
I GOT MY LIGHTSABER!

YES! thumbsup

Officially at 45hrs in on Dantooine!

And how fitting is this:  just finished watching Return of the Jedi on DVD and then I popped in KOTOR 2 and shortly thereafter - LIGHTSABER!

I know.  Saturday night and I'm excited because I got a lightsaber in a videogame.  It's a long story.  I'll tell you all sometime. smile

Heck! It's Tuesday afternoon and I'm excited for you! slywink
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 08, 2005, 08:26:04 PM »

Im pretty sure the pc version eithe rcomes out today or ships today-considering its been getting solid upper 8's reviews frmo most sites and it seems some framerate and bug issues were addressed I am excited to pick it up. very excited...
Tony
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 08, 2005, 10:02:09 PM »

The pc version ships today.   At least my order from Gogamer did.  Hopefully I should get it Thursday.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: February 09, 2005, 01:38:35 PM »

Nothing beats kicking back on the sofa with a cold beer, some snacks, and playing hours of KOTOR 2 on my widescreen TV.  biggrin

How about a working game with a cohesive plotline? ::sigh:: Hand me a beer.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Nth Power

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 09, 2005, 01:51:35 PM »

I finished KOTOR at about the 50 hour mark.  I like to take my time and I'll usually listen to most of the dialogue except for the alien languages.

I'm almost 30 hours into KOTOR II and have to finish up Dantooine and then head to Onderon.  So far it's great and I'm having as much fun as I did playing the first one.

I've had a couple freeze ups, but they were easily fixed with a restart.  One on Korriban and one on Dantooine.  Luckily I save often.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities" -Voltaire
XBL gamertag: NthPowr
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: February 09, 2005, 02:00:54 PM »

Quote from: "ChrisGwinn"
How is it, relative to KOTOR, in terms of load times?  I don't remember being annoyed by load times in the original.

Agreed.  As far as I can tell they're about the same as KoToR.

Let me refresh your memory then :

"::blah:: Swoop Racing... wanna go?"
"Yes."
Loading ... .... ... still loading .. ... ... almo...st...done.
[Race, miss the top by 2 seconds]
"Again?"
"Fine."
[Race,  messed up and bit it on an obstacle. No point continuing; cancel race.]
"ROFL U teh Suck. 'Gain?"
"Grrr. Yes".
[Race, miss it by .0002sec]
"Close only counts in horseshoes and hand-grenades"
"...grumble... again".
[Race, Win]
"Here's your prize. Theres a next level of difficulty. Wanna go for it?"
"AAAAAARRRRGHHH!!!!"

you see the pattern.
Since most races should be less than 45 seconds, lets see how much time this adds....

You complete 3 races ---------- 2:15s
You cancelled out of one ------- 0:45s   (Will be less for sure)    
You waited thru 8 loads -------- 4:00s   (@30sec)

So... you spend 7 minutes to race 4 times, most of that waiting to load back into the cantina to answer one question. This ain't so bad for the first couple tiers, but getting that 38.21sec for the final one over and over and over again was a pain. Most of which is "enjoying the helpful text" on the loading screen. A simple "A to retry, -100credits?" dialog box while still in swoop racer would have made a LOT more sense. Oh, and I timed mine; just over 30 seconds to get to race, longer to get back into cantina. (~41sec, IIRC)

They didn't fix it with KoToR2... but since they only have 2 races and no real tiers to challenge it doesn't eat as much time.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
Starshifter

CINEMAGIC on XM!

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: February 09, 2005, 04:20:50 PM »

Hey Purge -

You seem to be having these load problems with the swoop racing.  I never did the swoop racing in KOTOR 1 or now in KOTOR 2.  My "character" was not a swoop racer.  Furthermore, I only tried Pazak once.  It just wasn't "in character" for me to try these side events.  Was that where the problems were focused for you?  Otherwise, I have not had one single technical issue with this game at all and I'm now about 45'ish hours into it.  Load times are non-existent except when entering a new area and then its only like 20 seconds long, give or take a few.

As far as the story being cohesive I'm having no problem whatsoever following it.  It is certainly focusing more on internal characters and the events swirling around them than one all encompassing and flowing storyline, but I love it!  Needless to say I'm finding it even more engrossing than KOTOR 1.  smile

XM Channel 76
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 09, 2005, 04:50:40 PM »

I'm dissapointed with the number of technical glitches in the game.  Nothing game ending, but I've had 3 or 4 hard locks, which has never happened to me in any other X-Box game.  I've also run into a ton of slow-down when multiple enemies are on screen, sometimes so bad it's nearly impossible to fight.  Clipping problems galore, audio stutters, enemies shooting through walls, etc., etc.  Definately rough around the edges.

**MINOR SPOILERS**

My biggest beef so far with KotOR 2 is the lack of an strong villain.  I don't think the story is bad (although I've had a bit of trouble figuring out exactly what my character did in the Mandalorian Wars), but the absence of a strong badguy bugs me.  Especially since Darth Malak was so good in KotOR 1.

I've seen that guy with the mask once, but I'm nearly 33 hours into the game (about to embark on the "Endgame" according to the strategy guide), and have no idea how he's tied into everything other than being very strong with the dark side.   I'm hoping it gets explained, but from what I've heard of the ending, I'm not holding my breath.

ATB

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 09, 2005, 06:07:50 PM »

I just don't get how the same game on the same system can have such a varied response.

Stardrifter has had no issues. I had 5 maybe and some are getting crushed.

Makes no sense to me...
coopasonic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: February 09, 2005, 06:50:33 PM »

I just don't get how the same game on the same system can have such a varied response.

Stardrifter has had no issues. I had 5 maybe and some are getting crushed.

Makes no sense to me...

Same here. I had no lockups at all, nothing more than a momentary slowdown and no game bugs really at all... except the little thing where they let me finish the freakin game without ever getting a prestige class.

It was this moment that took the movie from being a little ho-hum to “holy shit, did that shark just eat a plane!?”
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 09, 2005, 07:11:06 PM »

Makes no sense to me either.  Odd thing is, it's totally random.   Most of the game is fine, even some big battle pass by with no slowdown.   Other times it will get horribly choppy while just walking around a city.  I don't get it.

Mine's a pretty old X-Box, so that may be part of it.  Playing with the component cable on an HDTV shouldn't make a difference, should it?

ChrisGwinn
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 09, 2005, 07:13:26 PM »

I also didn't do most of the races in KOTOR.  They got on my nerves, and they weren't required.
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: February 09, 2005, 08:11:19 PM »

You seem to be having these load problems with the swoop racing.  [...] Was that where the problems were focused for you?  Otherwise, I have not had one single technical issue with this game at all and I'm now about 45'ish hours into it.  Load times are non-existent except when entering a new area and then its only like 20 seconds long, give or take a few.

As far as the story being cohesive I'm having no problem whatsoever following it.  It is certainly focusing more on internal characters and the events swirling around them than one all encompassing and flowing storyline, but I love it!  Needless to say I'm finding it even more engrossing than KOTOR 1.  smile

And you know what? Had you have discussed this with me within the first two weeks of release, I'd be right beside you bud. Its a downward spiral unfortunately; I'd suggest to anyone that you enjoy what you can, and hope III brings better plot realization. There are several plot points which get shoved in your face over and over, and then are never fully realized in the game. Some people are OK with it, I can only say it's something that left me very unsatisfied.

As to the technical issues, KoToR1 / 2 are as bad as fable for "seaming" the world, and after a while everything feels like a cardboard cutout. Fable had an excuse; it had AI schemes running in the background so NPC's did different things. KOTOR relies on Quest_A_VAR=0, Goto Answer_0. Everything is scripted, and with the twists and the "freedoms" they were trying to deliver they got lost in it. There's no reason all of Telos couldn't be in the same "map". You shouldn't have to waste almost a minute to enter and then exit the cantina. Seams between areas are fine, but where's the animation showing my CHARACTER in the ship/shuttle/rickshaw/rubber dinghy? Tkaes away from the immersion factor, you start feeling like a lab mouse shuffled off from one maze to the next with no real connection to the world they're selling.

As to "engine problems", even if yours didn't crash (happened to me 5 times, and I've got an 8mo old green collectors ed. xbox), try this : Choose to cast force heal, and then move your cursor over an attack (normal, flurry, whatever). Wait for the healing animation to start, and then hit A on the attack. The very next round of combat, you'll see the healing animation go off again, your health goes up AND the enemy takes damage. To me, that's a showstopping bug. I noticed this happening when playing realtime later on (my master flurry was delivering 5 hits, and my master force heal was filling me up completely), so it *did* take a while for me to notice it happening.

KOTOR2 at the beginning was sucking me in. By the end, I felt spit out. I paid full price for an addon that was incomplete, and had gaping holes in the storyline; these holes were either bad planning, horrible script-writing or incomplete work. The loading times and a game engine that was touted to be "tweaked" was broken in the process.

You want my copy? Head down to EB and you can pick it up in the used bin. I may play the PC version for the darkside later, when I can get a used copy of it. At least then I won't have to wait for disappointment; my PC will load the faults lightning-quick.

Back on topic: Got my lightsaber really fast; go to Korriban first.

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 10, 2005, 12:20:02 AM »

MUAHAHAH Best Buy will have this for 39.99, supposedly tomorrow-I cant wait!
Starshifter

CINEMAGIC on XM!

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 10, 2005, 01:12:08 PM »

Quote from: "Purge"
Everything is scripted, and with the twists and the "freedoms" they were trying to deliver they got lost in it. There's no reason all of Telos couldn't be in the same "map". You shouldn't have to waste almost a minute to enter and then exit the cantina. Seams between areas are fine, but where's the animation showing my CHARACTER in the ship/shuttle/rickshaw/rubber dinghy? Tkaes away from the immersion factor, you start feeling like a lab mouse shuffled off from one maze to the next with no real connection to the world they're selling.

I understand what you are saying here.  It would be nice to have that animation of your character walking into and out of an area but this never bothers me and doesn't remove the immersion factor for me.  I think it is because I don't try to analyze games in depth and look for things like this.  If I'm enjoying it I just go along with the flow and enjoy the game.  Therefore, things like this don't ruin a game for me.

As to "engine problems", even if yours didn't crash (happened to me 5 times, and I've got an 8mo old green collectors ed. xbox), try this : Choose to cast force heal, and then move your cursor over an attack (normal, flurry, whatever). Wait for the healing animation to start, and then hit A on the attack. The very next round of combat, you'll see the healing animation go off again, your health goes up AND the enemy takes damage. To me, that's a showstopping bug. I noticed this happening when playing realtime later on (my master flurry was delivering 5 hits, and my master force heal was filling me up completely), so it *did* take a while for me to notice it happening.

I never real-time fight in this game.  I always que up my attacks and watch my Jedi perform.  I will pause after he exhausts his attacks, re-evaluate the situation, then que up some new attacks and watch the battle unfold.  This is how I enjoy the game.  I'm glad it is this way and it is a part of the "magic" of the game for me.  As a result, I won't encounter this issue that you mention, but I willl try it out to see what you are talking about.  I leave the real-time action stuff for the Jedi Academy style games.  This one is pure roleplaying to me.

Already got mine.  I got mine on Dantooine, the first planet I went to after Telos.  I remember towards the end of KOTOR 1 wondering what the destruction of the Jedi Enclave looked like so it felt natural for me to go to Dantooine first.

XM Channel 76
Gratch

GO UTES!!

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 10, 2005, 01:26:33 PM »

I finished up last night just under 35 hours.  A decent game, but not nearly as good as it's predecessor.  You can tell Obsidian wanted to do a lot more with it, and ended up having to rush it out the door.  It's especially obvious in the odd ending.  Seems like they simply ran out of money and/or time and wrapped it up the best they could.

A fun game all in all, but I don't think I'll be playing through it again as a Dark Sider like I did KotOR 1.

Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: February 10, 2005, 01:48:06 PM »

I understand what you are saying here.  It would be nice to have that animation of your character walking into and out of an area but this never bothers me and doesn't remove the immersion factor for me.  I think it is because I don't try to analyze games in depth and look for things like this.  If I'm enjoying it I just go along with the flow and enjoy the game.  Therefore, things like this don't ruin a game for me.

The space station and Telos set this off on me. Most of the other worlds weren't so bad. I didn't really even see how they were connected (in my mind). It's a minor problem, but the formula gets old, especially when I'm playing a story addon rather than a "new" game.

I never real-time fight in this game.  I always que up my attacks and watch my Jedi perform.  I will pause after he exhausts his attacks, re-evaluate the situation, then que up some new attacks and watch the battle unfold.  This is how I enjoy the game.  I'm glad it is this way and it is a part of the "magic" of the game for me.  As a result, I won't encounter this issue that you mention, but I willl try it out to see what you are talking about.  I leave the real-time action stuff for the Jedi Academy style games.  This one is pure roleplaying to me.

I did this in both styles, initially trying to keep the fluidity of the game going. I set it to pause on initiation of combat, and if I moved the menu items. I queued stuff up a lot, and would sometimes switch chars to set all of their actions first. Since there were problems with this (like characters I wasn't in immediate control of doing what they were queued to do  :evil: ) I was forced to adopt a more "let's see what happens" approach.

As to role-playing, I wasn't sitting on my couch in a Jedi Robe and a plastic lightsaber. I was looking for a rich an entertaining storyline with a game structure that was "improved" over the last iteration.

Maybe I should have been wearing a Jedi Robe. ::sigh::

Already got mine.  I got mine on Dantooine, the first planet I went to after Telos.  I remember towards the end of KOTOR 1 wondering what the destruction of the Jedi Enclave looked like so it felt natural for me to go to Dantooine first.[/quote]

Two different characters, and since their nebulous "what happened" dialog only comes up 4 times in the entire game, it didn't much matter.

SPOILER ALERT!!!!!!!
--
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
Look forward to that same crap at the end. They want to make it open, and at the beginning it was neat, however there's never any closure at the end. Oh, and your force sense (precognitive) gets used maybe 3 times. tops.

ATB

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 10, 2005, 02:14:33 PM »

Different strokes for different folks.

I thought 2 was better than 1.  
I didn't hit any major bugs other than one game loss and a few freezes
The end didn't leave me wanting untill I read some of the 'complaints' about it  In retrospect I can see the dissatisfaction with it, but overall, I liked how it came together in the end....at least for the Dark Side...
Starshifter

CINEMAGIC on XM!

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 10, 2005, 02:46:51 PM »

As to role-playing, I wasn't sitting on my couch in a Jedi Robe and a plastic lightsaber.

<Stardrifter puts lightsaber down to type response to Purge>

I do not play this game in a Jedi robe!  That was my halloween costume from several years ago.  I haven't worn it in years! :roll:

XM Channel 76
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #73 on: February 10, 2005, 04:34:51 PM »

ninja I'm sorry, I didn't mean to hit a nerve there. :lol:

I admit whole-heartedly that the game brought me hours of fun. Unfortunately it requires that you keep drinking it even past it's expiry date. The Light Side "is teh suxxor"... Maybe dark is more satisfying; I'll find out when I get a used copy of the PC game.

I'm wondering: if you follow Kreia exclusively in behaviour, do you stay perfectly neutral?

Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #74 on: February 10, 2005, 04:50:55 PM »

I thought 2 was better than 1. [...]  I liked how it came together in the end....at least for the Dark Side...

The problem is KOTOR1 was new material; it breathed new life into the now-soulless Star Wars universe like no other modern product. It was a revolution, and brought it with duel-wielding, choicemaking fury.

KOTOR2 is standing on the shoulders of giants I don't see it as being any bigger than it's predecessor. I enjoyed deconstruction and building. I liked the "beyond level20" ability. I liked the extra forms (although not heavily used). I liked the PC interaction with the party (although having to follow the same conversation threads over and over to find new paths was tedious). KOTOR2 does a lot of things right.

KOTOR2 is, however, a "me-2" product that doesn't enhance the experience over the first; it may just have a better flair for dramatic. It's too bad it falls of the stage before the end of the performance.

And *that* is my diff'rent stroke. smile

I've expanded on this as several people in Almost Heroes wondered why I didn't like it, and I thought I should expand it (I've referred them to this forum for the answer).

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: