http://gamingtrend.com
September 18, 2014, 12:02:11 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Lightsaber in Kotor 2  (Read 7217 times)
ATB
Gaming Trend Senior Member

Thanks for everything, Ryan. 1979-2013

View Profile
« on: December 31, 2004, 08:38:03 PM »

I'm on the surface of telos and only have 1 part for the lightsaber.

Is this normal?  <I don't want spoilers, just want to make sure I didn't miss anything...?
Starshifter

CINEMAGIC on XM!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2004, 11:12:12 PM »

Quote from: "ATB"
I'm on the surface of telos and only have 1 part for the lightsaber.

Is this normal?  <I don't want spoilers, just want to make sure I didn't miss anything...?

ATB - I would love to know this as well.  I'm right about to finish up Citidel Station and I'm assuming I will head to the surface of Telos next.  I also have only one part for the lightsaber.  I did buy a green crystal though from that shop in the entertainment section of the station.  I'm just shy of 22 hrs game time and my Jedi Consular is Level 9.  At this rate I'm on course to put in well over 100 hrs into this.  I just hope I get my lightsaber before the 90th hour!  BTW, I finished KOTOR 1 at 84 hrs.

CINEMAGIC - Escape into the Movies!
XM Channel 76
Arkon

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2004, 11:43:24 PM »

It all depends on where you head once you are able to choose your next destination.  I got lucky with where I chose to go and got my lightsaber there by the time I was lvl 13ish.  As far as I know it is impossible to get all the parts on telos.  I believe there is only the one part there.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2005, 01:07:26 AM »

ATB how are you finding the load times?
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2005, 01:47:39 AM »

"BTW, I finished KOTOR 1 at 84 hrs."
I didn't know there was anyone who takes as long to complete RPGs as I do.  I think most people's KoTOR times were around 40 hours, but my final time was close to 90.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Fafhrd
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2005, 12:29:11 PM »

Just to let you know, its not possible to have a completed Light Saber till after youve moved on to a new destination after Telos. I wont tell any more to avoid spoilers but that should at least fill you in on what you wanted

Change is in the wind...
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2005, 02:43:36 PM »

Thanks all.

I don't know how it's possible ot have gone 22hrs where you are! Wow. You must be thorough.  Do you talk to every single person everywhere?

What's your technique!

As for load times, they're long...and frequent...and so far KOTOR2 doesn't have the magic that the original had, but I am enjoying it and am compelled to continue.
Starshifter

CINEMAGIC on XM!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2005, 03:28:04 PM »

Eddie & ATB:

I just take my time and savor every moment of the game.  I'm a big Star Wars fan and absolutely love these games.  I usually move from quest to quest, but I do stop and talk with the other characters in my party quite often and I do tend to stop and talk to occassional passerby's.  I also don't run alot.  I try to imagine myself as the character and if I'm going through say a populated area I actually walk my character and take in the sites.  I know - big time geek  :wink: .

I guess all of the above adds up over time.  I also go back to talk to characters again after a quest or some significant event to see if anything has changed and/or developed.  This also results in alot of walking around.

I essentially roleplay!

This one is as addictive as the first, but nothing ever captures the "feel" and "magic" of an original.  And that applies to anything in life.  The first of anything is always the best because it's the one that "surprises" you both technically and emotionally

XM Channel 76
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2005, 07:46:57 PM »

"I guess all of the above adds up over time. I also go back to talk to characters again after a quest or some significant event to see if anything has changed and/or developed. This also results in alot of walking around."
I do the same, and surprisingly, most console RPGs designers actually write different text for return visits.  For instance, if you return to a town after doing some major event, the townspeople will comment on what you've done.  I've always enjoyed this, so I usually talk to everyone several times.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Rob_Merritt

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2005, 08:30:47 PM »

Quote from: "EddieA"
"BTW, I finished KOTOR 1 at 84 hrs."
I didn't know there was anyone who takes as long to complete RPGs as I do.  I think most people's KoTOR times were around 40 hours, but my final time was close to 90.

Wow, thats amazing. It took me like 26 hours and I thought I was taking my time.  I heard some people blew through it under 20 first time through

Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2005, 09:03:11 PM »

So does the Xbox version really have the horrible framerate/crashing problems that so many people are complaining about on other message boards?  I loved the Xbox version of KOTOR last year, but I'm wondering if I should hold off for the PC version on this one...

Xbox Live tag: Dimmona
DS WiFi Friends Codes
Wii Code: 6091 9321 3340 8417
Xbox360 Gamer Card
Rob_Merritt

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2005, 09:23:21 PM »

I'm holding off thats for sure.

Starshifter

CINEMAGIC on XM!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2005, 12:10:29 AM »

Quote from: "Dimmona"
So does the Xbox version really have the horrible framerate/crashing problems that so many people are complaining about on other message boards?  I loved the Xbox version of KOTOR last year, but I'm wondering if I should hold off for the PC version on this one...

If this exists I'm certainly not experiencing any of it.  I definitely have not had a single crash and I'm 22hrs in.  No framerate problems I can see.  Every battle so far seemed to progress quite smoothly.  The only thing I've noticied so far is that the battles are quite easy.  But that could change.

XM Channel 76
Starshifter

CINEMAGIC on XM!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2005, 12:12:30 AM »

Quote from: "EddieA"
...if you return to a town after doing some major event, the townspeople will comment on what you've done.  I've always enjoyed this, so I usually talk to everyone several times.

BINGO!  Me too!  I do that all the time.

XM Channel 76
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2005, 07:02:27 AM »

Yup. Korriban (in the cave section) hung on me 3 times, and I had it happen once in Enclave on Dantooine. Save often in these locations. smile

As to game time, I managed to take 80 hours on KOTOR1 light side, and 40 hrs on dark (I spent less time doing the nook-n-cranny search the second time around).

I'm about 45 hours into KOTOR2, (playing a model light Jedi Sentinel) and I can imagine having to play this game a few more times to get the different flavors.

You can't get your lightsaber on Telos; I got mine right after leaving (went to Korriban first). <shrug> I'll be heading to a different planet next time around, we'll see if that's why people complain about having to wait. biggrin I suspect the parts are going to be avail regardless of where you go though; as rebuilding HK-47 yielded duplicate parts I accumulated from different planets.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2005, 03:56:36 PM »

I've not noticed any crashes...but I have noticed that it frequently 'hangs' while waiting for the disk to spin up and deliver data.

Other than that, I've not noticed any bugs or glitches or framerate issues.

I wonder though why there are rooms with plasteel bins and baskets that can't be opened...I guess that's realism Tongue.

<MINOR SPOILER REQUEST>

On Korribon, i rescued a trapped twilek in the military base, then got on the shuttle but didn't get any XP for it.  Thoughts? Was I supposed to lead him out of the base rather than go to the shuttle?  If so, he wouldn't leave the shuttle bay area...is this a 'bug'!?
Laner

Badassfully

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2005, 04:01:37 PM »

Man, I don't think I cracked 30 hours with KOTOR 1, and I thought I was being pretty thorough smile
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2005, 01:18:43 PM »

KOTOR took me about 50 hrs to complete.

BTW-KOTOR 2 has now introduced some VERY interesting plot developments. Korriban was a very effective use of character development and there's interesting things afoot on the refugee place (who's name I can't remember)....can't wait to see what else develops!
Starshifter

CINEMAGIC on XM!

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2005, 05:10:01 PM »

I just made it to the surface of Telos.  What a breath of fresh air after being couped up on Citidel Station for hours of game time.

(Very Minor Spoiler)
I love the Zabrak character, Bao Daur, you meet on the surface and who joins your party.  There is something about his cool, soft voice and subtle humor that indicates an interesting history behind this character.  I can't wait to find out why he keeps calling me "General."

XM Channel 76
croman
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2005, 05:58:12 PM »

I really liked that character also

Unfortunately, I did not use him much.  I am going through again on the Dark Side so maybe I will give him some more playing time
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2005, 12:19:02 PM »

Never thought I'd say this...but...I may like Kotor2 better than Kotor..<bites tongue>.

The story development is really doing it for me!
Starshifter

CINEMAGIC on XM!

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2005, 01:39:52 PM »

Never thought I'd say this...but...I may like Kotor2 better than Kotor..<bites tongue>.

The story development is really doing it for me!

Nothing wrong with that.  I'm hooked on the story just as much as KOTOR 1.  Actually, I'm already hoping and praying that a KOTOR 3 is in the works.  I already have a character idea in the back of my head for that one.

/geek mode on

In KOTOR 1 my character was Rylan Centaura, a Jedi Sentinel (yellow single lightsaber).  In KOTOR 2 his brother, Cayn Centaura is a Jedi Consular (soon to be green single lightsaber).  But Cayn does not know of the exploits of his brother Rylan and vice versa.  And, if there is a KOTOR 3, may I introduce Lynrya Centaura, their sister although they do not know of her existence.  She will be a Jedi Guardian-type (blue single light saber).  And so will end my Star Wars trilogy.  I imagine the brothers and sister meeting in some future Star Wars game.

/geek mode off

Now I will get back to the real world.   :wink:

XM Channel 76
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2005, 03:27:52 PM »

/geek mode on

You got that right! slywink

At this point, my character from Kotor would mop the floor with my character from Kotorii.  I don't remember her stats, but she was just a butt-kicker.

I was hoping for another sequel as well...KOTOR 3 sounds like a Nextbox Launch title ...which means I won't get to play it for 3 or 4 years slywink
El Guapo
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2005, 05:36:24 PM »

Well, it wasn't so bad for me, but now the game is crashing everytime I go to a specific location (the jungle camp on Onderon).  This is kind of annoying, as it renders me unable to advance in the game.  Anyone got any ideas as to how I might fix this?
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2005, 07:26:52 PM »

Are you sure it's locking up.  It may just be the disk spinning up to load data.

It appeared to freeze on me...but i gave it 10 secs and it went on fine...
Purge
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2005, 09:05:31 PM »

Quote from: "El Guapo"
Well, it wasn't so bad for me, but now the game is crashing everytime I go to a specific location (the jungle camp on Onderon).  This is kind of annoying, as it renders me unable to advance in the game.  Anyone got any ideas as to how I might fix this?

Yes. Reload the savegame, and make sure none of your chars are waiting to level up. That seemed to reduce my occurrances greatly.

"If it weren't for Philo T. Farnsworth, inventor of television, we'd still be eating frozen radio dinners." - Johnny Carson
El Guapo
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 07, 2005, 04:24:07 PM »

Are you sure it's locking up.  It may just be the disk spinning up to load data.

It appeared to freeze on me...but i gave it 10 secs and it went on fine...

No, it was definitely freezing up.  I went to do other things and left it there, and nothing happened.

BUT I fixed it.  Key was to enter the area by myself, with no party members.  When you go to that area it takes you to a meeting place where most of your party is gathered.  Since I had characters in my party who were standing around at the new location, I think it was confusing the game & causing it to crash.

Which is a stupid and frustrating bug, but at least I can advance in the game.
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2005, 12:55:56 PM »

Well, I thought I was a slow rpg player...I am at the 22 hour part for stardrifter at just under 12 hours played for myself.  Just got that first part of the lightsaber - can't wait to the other two parts and finally get mine to rid the galaxy of jedi-scum!

I'm really getting into the game, good stuff.  And I have yet to experience any hang-ups, glitches, weird stuff like that.  Maybe I'm just lucky?

TheMissingLink on PSN
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 09, 2005, 07:33:52 PM »

My first bug?

<minor spoiler in Iziz>

The local folks decide to storm the gates as it were. I decide to step in and help our the lone 'cop'.  As i was ordered not to hurt them, i pull a force wind or whatever it's called and knock them all senseless.

the encounter ends and POOF! everyone disappears.  I don't hear another thing about it, get experience, etc.  The only whisp of it is the new terminal...

Thoughts?
El Guapo
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 09, 2005, 09:20:03 PM »

My first bug?

<minor spoiler in Iziz>

The local folks decide to storm the gates as it were. I decide to step in and help our the lone 'cop'.  As i was ordered not to hurt them, i pull a force wind or whatever it's called and knock them all senseless.

the encounter ends and POOF! everyone disappears.  I don't hear another thing about it, get experience, etc.  The only whisp of it is the new terminal...

Thoughts?

hmmm...nothing in your journal about it?

I didn't do that quest, but it's possible you ended it by breaking the "don't hurt anyone" condition.  I'm guessing you used the "force wave" power? (you raise your arm, everyone gets blown back and usually stunned?)  That hurts people, and I've killed quite a few with it.  So maybe that ended it.

Though I would expect a "quest over because you hurt people" entry in your journal.  Did you check the "completed quests" log?
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 09, 2005, 09:28:03 PM »

Goddamnit February 10th or wahtever cant come soon enough,I want to play this game, but I just cant deal with the stupid load times!! ARGHGHG
Starshifter

CINEMAGIC on XM!

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 10, 2005, 06:07:41 PM »

Quote from: "Rage"
Goddamnit February 10th or wahtever cant come soon enough,I want to play this game, but I just cant deal with the stupid load times!! ARGHGHG

Rage - The load times are not bad at all.  Yes, it does load each time you enter a new area (so did KOTOR 1), but the load lasts no more than about 15-20 seconds.  I usually read the little info bits while it loads.  These loads don't bother me in the least and it doesn't ruin the immersion because, after all, it's Star Wars and this game is just so damn good.

Nothing beats kicking back on the sofa with a cold beer, some snacks, and playing hours of KOTOR 2 on my widescreen TV.  biggrin

XM Channel 76
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 12, 2005, 02:15:21 PM »

Aaaaaaaah, finally got my lightsaber at 16 hours.  It's so beautiful biggrin biggrin biggrin

TheMissingLink on PSN
ChrisGwinn
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 12, 2005, 05:03:04 PM »

How is it, relative to KOTOR, in terms of load times?  I don't remember being annoyed by load times in the original.
Starshifter

CINEMAGIC on XM!

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 12, 2005, 05:45:34 PM »

Quote from: "TheMissingLink"
Aaaaaaaah, finally got my lightsaber at 16 hours.  It's so beautiful biggrin biggrin biggrin

34 hrs and STILL NO LIGHTSABER!

I just left Telos.  Haven't decided on my next destination yet.

Does anybody else think the Echani women are good looking???

XM Channel 76
El Guapo
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 12, 2005, 07:43:11 PM »

Quote from: "Stardrifter"

34 hrs and STILL NO LIGHTSABER!

I just left Telos.  Haven't decided on my next destination yet.

Does anybody else think the Echani women are good looking???

Well, the 34 hours w/out a lightsaber is mostly the cost of your extensive role-playing.  You could get it more quickly if you were willing to "jedi speed" run around more often.

I went through Korriban first, Dantooine second & finished the saber on dantooine.  I don't know if there's a faster route.

And yes, Handmaiden is very hot.  Apparently loves having no clothes on, as well.
ATB

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 12, 2005, 08:12:31 PM »

Quote from: "ChrisGwinn"
How is it, relative to KOTOR, in terms of load times?  I don't remember being annoyed by load times in the original.

Agreed.  As far as I can tell they're about the same as KoToR.
Starshifter

CINEMAGIC on XM!

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 13, 2005, 01:31:42 AM »

Quote from: "El Guapo"
Well, the 34 hours w/out a lightsaber is mostly the cost of your extensive role-playing.  You could get it more quickly if you were willing to "jedi speed" run around more often.

I thought of that (using Jedi speed to "zip" around) but figured it's not realistic (in a fantasy sense).  I mean if I were really a Jedi I wouldn't be Force speeding around the neighborhood.  It's just part of my extensive roleplaying as you say. :wink:

XM Channel 76
TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 13, 2005, 07:26:17 AM »

Yes, there is a faster route.  I can tell you how to quickly get one, Stardrifter, if you want to know.

TheMissingLink on PSN
Starshifter

CINEMAGIC on XM!

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 13, 2005, 01:07:02 PM »

Yes, there is a faster route.  I can tell you how to quickly get one, Stardrifter, if you want to know.

As tempting as this offer is I have to refuse.  I want things to progress naturally for me.  The only fear I had was getting my lightsaber and having the game end 5 minutes later.  I want time to enjoy it.

If it seems like it is going to take awhile before I do get it I might ask you again for that faster route.

(Very Minor Spoiler)

I'm onboard the Ebon Hawk (after Telos) and Bao Dur just talked to me about why I don't have a lightsaber.  He said something to the effect that he knows where the parts are and he can help me construct it.

(End Minor Spoiler)

I feel like I'm getting close.  I hope.

XM Channel 76
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: