http://gamingtrend.com
September 18, 2014, 05:55:52 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Light of Altair  (Read 1949 times)
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff
Gaming Trend Senior Member

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« on: February 24, 2009, 04:55:19 AM »

Spore meets Homeworld?  that's what the screenshots remind me of- if you could zoom in anymore it'd be almost like they used the Spore engine for the Space era.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
ROTC1983

Is it really that Kampfy?

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2009, 05:44:38 AM »

Wow, that actually looks pretty cool.  Looks to be real time, right?  (I didn't read the webpage frown)

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2009, 06:34:28 AM »

Quote from: ROTC1983 on February 24, 2009, 05:44:38 AM

Wow, that actually looks pretty cool.  Looks to be real time, right?  (I didn't read the webpage frown)

it doesn't specify if it's RTS or TBS, but the videos make it look like a mix of both.

Because I can,
baelthazar

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2009, 11:43:13 AM »

Well, from the HUGE - pause, play, fast play, fast forward buttons on the upper right hand side, I would guess confidently that this will be a pausable-RT game.  Tongue

Looks pretty cool, like a cross between the things you said and an update of Imperium Galactica.

Bael
saintxi
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2009, 09:51:40 AM »

Hi, I'm the lead dev for Light of Altair  icon_biggrin

It is a strategy game with a mix of colony building missions and orbital combat, played out at speeds from realtime (during battles) to 1 day/sec for normal management to 1 month/sec. Some missions span several decades - especially when you send Generation ships to different stars so we needed time compression! It's a single player game with an emphasis on an unfolding sci-fi storyline, as you explore and your tech develops.

I believe we have some beta testers from this forum already - we could always do with a few more  icon_smile

ROTC1983

Is it really that Kampfy?

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2009, 10:40:17 AM »

Quote from: saintxi on March 11, 2009, 09:51:40 AM

Hi, I'm the lead dev for Light of Altair  icon_biggrin

It is a strategy game with a mix of colony building missions and orbital combat, played out at speeds from realtime (during battles) to 1 day/sec for normal management to 1 month/sec. Some missions span several decades - especially when you send Generation ships to different stars so we needed time compression! It's a single player game with an emphasis on an unfolding sci-fi storyline, as you explore and your tech develops.

I believe we have some beta testers from this forum already - we could always do with a few more  icon_smile

Welcome aboard SaintXi smile  Good to see you here ready to talk about the game and thank you for explaining if the game is TBS or RTS smile

CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2009, 12:09:16 AM »

gameplay trailer.  looking good saintxi!

Because I can,
USMC Kato

I have a bad feeling about this....

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2009, 12:50:13 AM »

This title looks very promising.  Keep us updated Saintxi!

Semper Fidelis

Gamertag: USMC Kato
PSN ID: USMC_Kato
Gamecenter ID: USMC Kato
Wii U Nintendo ID: USMC_Kato
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2009, 11:39:30 PM »

they have a release date: June 4th via digital distribution.  the summer's shaping up to be a decent one for gaming so far.

Because I can,
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2009, 06:21:45 AM »

Worthplaying has a demo.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
saintxi
Welcome to Gaming Trend

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2009, 02:16:48 PM »

The demo is up on our official Light of Altair site too. It is 3 levels of gentle gameplay/tutorial type challenges and one level from later in the game where you can control several planets and have to fight against two other factions.

You can pre-order with 25% off at Archive Games and Direct2Drive

Lockdown

LD

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2009, 05:07:56 PM »

Well, I wouldn't say it's Spore meets Homeworld after trying it.

I think I've been glued to the demo for over an hour though, if not quite a bit longer.  I got to the part where I fought the pirates off my asteroid colony, which for me is pretty good in one sitting.

I like it.  It's pretty darn good, actually.  I'm reasonably sure I suck... but God knows that never stopped me from liking games before.  So, from the bit I've played, I'd say the game is an ecomonic/colony sim, to be sure.  I don't think ship design and combat is all that deep, although I could be wrong, as I barely got into that part of the game before needing a break.  From looking at the techs available though, and noting only one ship design is allowed per class at once, I would guess the focus here is on colonization and maintaining things like happiness, income, etc...  Certainly seems to be a conquer the galaxy type strategy game though, which is cool.  I'll finish the demo at some point and see how the ship building/combat grabs me when I've had more time to spend with it. 

If anyone here tries it, give the game a fair shake before passing judgement.  The tutorial kind of eases you in, so it can seem a bit "basic".  But once you're allowed to colonize Venus, things pick up pretty good.  The 3 game speeds (plus a pause button if you need it) are great.  Camera control is very good.  Interface isn't bad at all.  Graphics are cartoony but very well done.  I haven't played enough of these types of games to compare it to anything I've played in the past, so I'll leave that to someone else.

Nice find!     

LD

"Let your enemies fear, for a harlequin of the Laughing God dances at your side."
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2009, 04:30:39 AM »

well, it's out now and on sale for $11.99 on Steam for a week.  I'm very tempted, even though I just bought World in Conflict Complete Edition and Gothic 1 & 2.

Because I can,
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2009, 05:13:06 AM »

you know, even with the stack of games i have in front of me, the total lack of committment i have to playing pc games atm, this looks and sounds interesting enough that i will get this before the sale ends.  save a few bucks to cancel out the tax that steam insists on charging me.

Bullwinkle
Gaming Trend Staff

Watch me pull a rabbit outta my hat.

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2009, 06:28:51 PM »

If $12 wasn't tempting, try $5.

That's like blaming owls because I suck at making analogies.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: