http://gamingtrend.com
August 20, 2014, 05:11:15 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Liberty City vs NYC Photo Comparison  (Read 1005 times)
disarm
Gaming Trend Senior Member

my moral standing is lying down...

View Profile
« on: May 14, 2008, 01:55:40 AM »

i stumbled across the set of comparison photos for the two cities at Digg and it's pretty darn impressive just how well GTA4 recreates some of the famous buildings and views in NYC.  having been to New York several times, i'm pretty familiar with the major sites and recognized a lot of places in the game, but it's pretty cool to see direct photo comparisons.

check it out! icon_cool

*Gamertag - disarm78*
Now Playing: Grand Theft Auto V
Ridah
Senior Staff Writer

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2008, 03:57:00 AM »

Only thing I noticed is that in some of the real NYC shots there are lots of people or cars but in the game comparison shot there's either none or hardly any people or cars.

Didn't True Crime actually recreate areas of New York block for block? How did they do in that game?
« Last Edit: May 14, 2008, 04:00:26 AM by Ridah » Logged

Sean Lama
Senior Staff Editor, GamingTrend
ChaoZ

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2008, 05:15:50 AM »

Quote from: Ridah on May 14, 2008, 03:57:00 AM

Only thing I noticed is that in some of the real NYC shots there are lots of people or cars but in the game comparison shot there's either none or hardly any people or cars.

Didn't True Crime actually recreate areas of New York block for block? How did they do in that game?

It looked like shit.

The Getaway did a better job, as I recall, but still, nowhere near the quality of GTA4.

Also, if we had the same traffic density in GTA4 as in the real NYC, you wouldn't be able to get around, never mind the strain on the Xbox/PS3.
Canuck

I live in Japan

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2008, 07:23:12 AM »

If anyone uses the Piclens extension, that site supports it and it makes it really easy to look at all the photos all at once!
KePoW

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2008, 07:34:14 AM »

Quote from: Ridah on May 14, 2008, 03:57:00 AM

lol,True Crime is not anywhere in the same ballpark as GTA IV
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2008, 07:47:26 AM »

hey, the got the likeness of the Statue of Liberty down pretty good!  great job Rockstar!!!  slywink

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
kadnod

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2008, 01:47:14 PM »

Rockstar did too good a job with recreating the City.  I keep getting killed in front of the building where I work in real life.  It was amusing the first time, but has since become horribly depressing.

Can five murderous vagabonds heroes save their world from a roman empire knockoff the forces of evil?  Apparently so! Find out how they did it in the only best D&D game in General Analog Gaming!
Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2008, 01:57:50 PM »

Quote from: ChaoZ on May 14, 2008, 05:15:50 AM

Also, if we had the same traffic density in GTA4 as in the real NYC, you wouldn't be able to get around, never mind the strain on the Xbox/PS3.

Good old NYC. It's easier to get around on foot than it is in a car. *shudders*

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
Caine

My cocaine

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2008, 08:34:15 PM »

Quote from: kadnod on May 14, 2008, 01:47:14 PM

Rockstar did too good a job with recreating the City.  I keep getting killed in front of the building where I work in real life.  It was amusing the first time, but has since become horribly depressing.

now that's funny.

i didn't get enough time in nyc last year to really compare against liberty city, but a few nights ago i drove around the southern part of manhattan and my wife was calling out the landmarks she recognized.  that's pretty damn cool. 

the closest comparison game-wise would have to be spiderman 3, and aside from the vertical representation, gta4 gets the nod for more realistic representation. 

"It's like chess with big guns against aliens. Which isn't like chess at all when I think about it." - Jake Solomon
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2008, 11:59:01 PM »

Quote from: Caine on May 14, 2008, 08:34:15 PM

Quote from: kadnod on May 14, 2008, 01:47:14 PM

now that's funny.

i didn't get enough time in nyc last year to really compare against liberty city, but a few nights ago i drove around the southern part of manhattan and my wife was calling out the landmarks she recognized.  that's pretty damn cool. 

the closest comparison game-wise would have to be spiderman 3, and aside from the vertical representation, gta4 gets the nod for more realistic representation. 

I remember in one game of Cops N Crooks one of my teammates said the Crooks were heading towards Coney Island and to go there.  No one else had a clue what he was talking about.

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
Clanwolfer

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2008, 12:04:58 AM »

As a denizen of NYC (okay, Queens, at least), I can say there's some almost-creepy similarities.  They even have a glasses store in whatever the game calls Forest Hills that I walked past every day when I lived there... it doesn't seem like a big thing, but for one specific corner store in an outer borough to be modeled in a neighborhood that feels right hit that sweet spot of 'wow, they put a LOT of work into this'.

Kyosho
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2008, 11:25:28 AM »

Quote from: Canuck on May 14, 2008, 07:23:12 AM

If anyone uses the Piclens extension, that site supports it and it makes it really easy to look at all the photos all at once!

That's what I did. It works really well.
IkeVandergraaf

RRoD FTL! F MS!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2008, 12:19:07 PM »

I had the craziest sense of deja vu the other night when I was driving from Broker/Dukes [Brooklyn/Queens] to Bohan [Bronx] over the equivalent of the Triboro Bridge, and I looked left to see the equivalent of the Manhattan Bridge.   Very cool.

Gamertag = IkeV
I KNOW DEEP IN MY NMIND THAT THIS DISGUSTING WEBSITE THAT IS OBIVOUSLY OPERATED BY HIGHSCHOOL DROPOUTS LIVING PURPOSELESS AND JOBLESS LIVES
gellar

I'm a dolphin!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2008, 05:59:39 PM »

Yeah I was in Manhattan again early this week and it was pretty interesting to see the level of detail they put into things.  They tried real hard.

gellar
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: