http://gamingtrend.com
July 22, 2014, 05:48:41 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: LF Good Cold War Era Military games  (Read 736 times)
kronovan
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: June 20, 2010, 12:06:57 AM »

I've recently been playing some great boardgames that are Cold War Era themed - mostly LnL Publishing's World at War series and Twilight Struggle. I've also been playing the Wings Over (Vietnam, Europe and Israel) series CW Era flightsims every other week for years. On top of that I've played just about every Ghost Recon and Rainbow Six game out there and enjoyed them all - albeit those are really Modern era games. I'm mostly interested in shooters, but I also love simulations and tank sims or Flightsims are great genres in my books. I've played the CoD MW games on the 360 and aren't really interested in them for PC - actually not too interested in the Modern era at this point.

I'm wondering if anyone here can make some recommendations?
wonderpug

hmm...

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2010, 12:32:55 AM »

Have you played DEFCON?  It won't give you a storyline, but it's definitely Cold War inspired.

Also keep an eye on Call of Duty: Black Ops coming out late this year.
heloder
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2010, 12:34:33 AM »

Operation Flashpoint: Cold War Crisis?
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2010, 02:42:06 AM »

I have never played DEFCON despite having pondered getting it many times. I think what's held me back is not being sure how it'll look on my aging HDTV - I have difficulty discerning the small icons and text in many RTS's.  CoD Black Ops is definitely well lit on my radar, but I'll be getting the 360 version on Nov 9th.

I already own Operation Flashpoint CWC and it's 2 expansions, and I agree it's a heckuva good Cold War shooter. I actually reinstalled it about a year ago, but something I no longer have is the fan-made textures/graphics update or the docs on how to apply it.  icon_frown
Pyperkub

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2010, 05:09:33 AM »

Not quite Military, but No One Lives Forever is a classic.  Would you like to buy a monkey?

Pardon me, but that is a .... damn fine cup of coffee.
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2010, 06:52:22 AM »

Quote from: Pyperkub on June 20, 2010, 05:09:33 AM

Not quite Military, but No One Lives Forever is a classic.  Would you like to buy a monkey?

Have it, played it, loved it.  icon_cool
Razgon

The Truth is out there

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2010, 07:25:55 AM »

Alpha Protocol is your game - Its basically the cold war in its theme and story, just set in present day.

A new one
Creepy_Smell

Load"*",8,1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2010, 01:10:25 PM »

Quote from: kronovan on June 20, 2010, 02:42:06 AM

I have never played DEFCON despite having pondered getting it many times. I think what's held me back is not being sure how it'll look on my aging HDTV - I have difficulty discerning the small icons and text in many RTS's.  CoD Black Ops is definitely well lit on my radar, but I'll be getting the 360 version on Nov 9th.

I already own Operation Flashpoint CWC and it's 2 expansions, and I agree it's a heckuva good Cold War shooter. I actually reinstalled it about a year ago, but something I no longer have is the fan-made textures/graphics update or the docs on how to apply it.  icon_frown

BIS Studio's OFP forum is still up and has lots of stuff. For just a unit replacement, Sanctuary makes good stuff. Here is his GRAA units. The post also has the info on how to set it up.

Beer Goggles

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2010, 01:27:11 PM »

If you like RTS gmaes, there is World in Conflict.
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2010, 04:20:54 PM »

Quote from: Beer Goggles on June 20, 2010, 01:27:11 PM

I like RTS's, but I do prefer TBS's to them - mostly due to my being a boardgame geek. I'm realistic though, and know there's little hope of anyone producing a CW era TBS game. My biggest problem with strategy games is my display situation, which I'll likely remedy in the next few months by picking up a LCD as a secondary display. I bought, finished and enjoyed Halo Wars, C&C:RE3 and EndWars for the 360, so I'm certainly capable or playing them. I've read lots of good things about WiC.

Many thanks for the link Creepy - for some reason I missed that during my search last year.  icon_confused  Any many thanks to everyone for all the other suggestions. I had no idea that Alpha Protocol incorporated some CW theme/sentiment. Unfortunately my PC isn't up to spec for it, so it'd have to be a 360 game for me.
Blackjack

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2010, 05:12:16 PM »

Quote from: kronovan on June 20, 2010, 12:06:57 AM

I've recently been playing some great boardgames that are Cold War Era themed - mostly LnL Publishing's World at War series and Twilight Struggle. I've also been playing the Wings Over (Vietnam, Europe and Israel) series CW Era flightsims every other week for years. On top of that I've played just about every Ghost Recon and Rainbow Six game out there and enjoyed them all - albeit those are really Modern era games. I'm mostly interested in shooters, but I also love simulations and tank sims or Flightsims are great genres in my books. I've played the CoD MW games on the 360 and aren't really interested in them for PC - actually not too interested in the Modern era at this point.

I'm wondering if anyone here can make some recommendations?
If you can get it to run (I can't get it to work properly) or if GoG starts offering it, SSI's turn-based People's General game was a very fun "Cold War-ish" (I guess you could argue it was a "post Cold War" game) game, though it posited the US and China battling over Taiwan (rather than involving Russia directly -- though China's hardware is clearly Russkie). It used a version of the generally lauded Panzer General II engine and came before their (imho) misstep with PG 3D Assault.

Gamespot People's General review from 1998

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/strategy/peoplesgeneral/review.html
===========================

Back in 2003 there was an interesting but apparently very sloppy Commandos knockoff that was set during the Korean War in the early 1950s. It didn't sell well, and I don't know if you can still find it anywhere today.

Gamespot's review of Korea: Forgotten Conflict
http://www.gamespot.com/pc/strategy/koreaforgottenconflict/index.html
===========================

I wish Dynamix had stuck around a bit longer. If they'd stayed in business, I think they might have eventually done some Korean War stuff or some "alternate scenario" Cold War stuff. My favorite expansion for its Aces Over the Pacific combat sim was the "alternate scenario" 1946 Expansion, which posited an invasion of Japan and the chance to fly some planes that just missed WWII, like the F8F Bearcat, P-80 Shooting Star (U.S.'s first operational fighter jet) and late models of many famous fighters like the P-47N (which had extra internal fuel tanks and squared off wings designed for the Pacific theater but didn't see combat there -- but I think it did in Dynamix's 1946 take).
« Last Edit: June 21, 2010, 03:34:04 AM by Blackjack » Logged

Playing
PC
-Marvel Heroes
Daehawk

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2010, 07:08:55 PM »

Codename Panzers: Cold War

---------------------------------------------------
I am Dyslexic of Borg, prepare to have your ass laminated.

Check my trader rating. Im 22+ and zero negs. Trade with me! smile
CeeKay
Gaming Trend Staff

La-bibbida-bibba-dum! La-bibbida-bibba-do!

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2010, 07:13:44 PM »

Quote from: Beer Goggles on June 20, 2010, 01:27:11 PM

+1

Because I can,
also because I don't care what you want.
XBL: OriginalCeeKay
Wii U: CeeKay
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2010, 09:18:45 PM »

Quote from: Blackjack on June 20, 2010, 05:12:16 PM

I wish Dynamix had stuck around a bit longer. If they'd stayed in business, I think they might have eventually done some Korean War stuff or some "alternate scenario" Cold War stuff. My favorite expansion for its Aces Over the Pacific combat sim was the "alternate scenario" 1946 Expansion, which posited an invasion of Japan and the chance to fly some planes that just missed WWII, like the F8F Bearcat, P-80 Shooting Star (U.S.'s first operational fighter jet) and late models of many famous fighters like the P-47N (which had extra internal fuel tanks and squared off wings designed for the Pacific theater but didn't see combat there -- but I think it did in Dynamix's 1946 take).

I think between IL-2 1946, Mig Alley and MS Combat Flight Sim 3, just about everything you list is flyable. In fact I think most of those planes can be covered by the latter 2 of those sims once you download the 3rd party stuff. Man, I used to love those rocket strike missions you flew in a Shooting Star in Mig Alley. You can still buy CFS3 and IL-2 46, but I'm sure Mig Alley is probably only available on eBay. As well, it's been rumored for some time that Third Wire's next Wings Over series will cover the Korean War. I haven't checked for a while so it might even be official by now.
kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2010, 11:51:07 PM »

Quote from: Creepy_Smell on June 20, 2010, 01:10:25 PM

BIS Studio's OFP forum is still up and has lots of stuff. For just a unit replacement, Sanctuary makes good stuff. Here is his GRAA units. The post also has the info on how to set it up.

I think I'm having the same problem I had a year ago IIRC. There's links on the BIS Studio for Sanctuary's addon that refer to the official 1.96 patch and a official, required BIS addon named 'Camel'. The link to the Camel addon however is broken, and when I go to the site that previously hosted it -www.flashpoint1985.com- there's no mention of it. I've even used the search engine on that site, but have come up blank?
Creepy_Smell

Load"*",8,1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2010, 11:50:13 AM »

Quote from: kronovan on June 20, 2010, 11:51:07 PM

I think I'm having the same problem I had a year ago IIRC. There's links on the BIS Studio for Sanctuary's addon that refer to the official 1.96 patch and a official, required BIS addon named 'Camel'. The link to the Camel addon however is broken, and when I go to the site that previously hosted it -www.flashpoint1985.com- there's no mention of it. I've even used the search engine on that site, but have come up blank?

Yeah some links are dead now. You sometimes have to find a working OFP file site and then search there for a the addon/mission, etc. Here might be the right camel. For other sites just google OFP files or something until you find a file/campaign repository. Love the game but it can be a pain getting stuff working or finding files bits this late in its life.

kronovan

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2010, 08:20:59 PM »

Quote from: Creepy_Smell on June 22, 2010, 11:50:13 AM

Yeah some links are dead now. You sometimes have to find a working OFP file site and then search there for a the addon/mission, etc. Here might be the right camel. For other sites just google OFP files or something until you find a file/campaign repository. Love the game but it can be a pain getting stuff working or finding files bits this late in its life.

Creepy, thanks again. That looks like the file all right, but I'm a bit WTF as to why it's required for Sanctuary's addon? That's a BIS addon file for a WW1 Camel plane. Unless of course Sanctuary's addon also contains an update for WW1 objects? I was under the impression that Sanctuary updated the cold war era textures and objects in Cold War Crisis.
Creepy_Smell

Load"*",8,1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2010, 11:27:14 PM »

Quote from: kronovan on June 22, 2010, 08:20:59 PM

Quote from: Creepy_Smell on June 22, 2010, 11:50:13 AM

Creepy, thanks again. That looks like the file all right, but I'm a bit WTF as to why it's required for Sanctuary's addon? That's a BIS addon file for a WW1 Camel plane. Unless of course Sanctuary's addon also contains an update for WW1 objects? I was under the impression that Sanctuary updated the cold war era textures and objects in Cold War Crisis.

His release notes say something about him fixing the camel pilots face bug. So it looks like he updated all the heads in the game included this one.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: