http://gamingtrend.com
November 25, 2014, 11:40:52 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Level 5 (Dark Cloud, DQ8) announces Rogue Galaxy  (Read 3155 times)
EddieA
Gaming Trend Senior Member

View Profile
« on: July 21, 2005, 07:11:07 AM »

Level 5, makers of the Dark Cloud games and Dragon Quest 8, have announced their new game - Rogue Galaxy.  The only information available so far is that it will feature randomly-generated dungeons.  The screenshot looks cel-shaded, although more detailed and realistic-looking than usual.  I wish they'd do Dark Cloud 3, but hopefully, this game will be something similar.  RPGamer has the news and screenshots.

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2005, 08:50:06 AM »

Quote from: "EddieA"
Level 5, makers of the Dark Cloud games and Dragon Quest 8, have announced their new game - Rogue Galaxy.  The only information available so far is that it will feature randomly-generated dungeons.  The screenshot looks cel-shaded, although more detailed and realistic-looking than usual.  I wish they'd do Dark Cloud 3, but hopefully, this game will be something similar.  RPGamer has the news and screenshots.

Damn it, I hate randomly-generated dungeons.  It kept me from enjoying Dark Cloud 2.

Galadriels
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2005, 11:09:28 AM »

Destructor
Special Project Group

▲▲▼▼◄►◄►B A Start

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2005, 03:47:52 PM »

Quote from: "Galadriels"

You know, I swear this looks like the next Skies of Arcadia or something based on this shot alone... biggrin

"All opinions posted are my own, and not those of my employers, who are appalled."
-Lord Ebonstone-
BANNED

get naked

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2005, 04:06:38 PM »

Looks interesting.

xbl tag = cthonic horror

NNNOOOOOO!!
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2005, 06:25:38 PM »

That looks AWESOME!
Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2005, 06:44:10 PM »

Nice!!

Side topic: is Dark Cloud 2 worth getting?

Xbox Live tag: Dimmona
DS WiFi Friends Codes
Wii Code: 6091 9321 3340 8417
Xbox360 Gamer Card
Andrew Mallon

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2005, 10:55:45 PM »

Factor 5 also announced a PS3 exclusive game called Lair. Not sure the genre, but it features dragons so I'm sure it's some sort of action RPG. Trailer for the game is here: http://ps3.ign.com/objects/761/761161.html. It's supposedly all in-game footage and it looks really good.
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2005, 11:17:41 PM »

"Side topic: is Dark Cloud 2 worth getting?"
I put over 180 hours into it, loved every minute, and think it's one of the best games ever made, so I would say yes slywink

"Why did the chicken cross the Mobius strip?  To get to the same side."  - The Big Bang Theory
Galadriels
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2005, 03:17:41 AM »

Official site is up, though it will not "officially open" until August 5.  Now it only has a Flash sequence there.  The release date is scheduled for December 2005 for PS2.

http://www.playstation.jp/scej/title/rg/
WinoMcCougarstein

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2005, 06:22:46 AM »

Quote from: "Dimmona"
Nice!!

I had a lot of fun with Dark Cloud 2, I loved the style and the music, there was a lot of good in this game, but I could not stand the randomly generated dungeouns.  Aside from that, the game was a blast and looked awesome!

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2005, 06:25:15 AM »

Quote from: "GatorFavre"
Quote from: "Dimmona"
Nice!!

I had a lot of fun with Dark Cloud 2, I loved the style and the music, there was a lot of good in this game, but I could not stand the randomly generated dungeouns.  Aside from that, the game was a blast and looked awesome!

Not to mention the combat absolutely sucked.
depward

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2005, 06:26:30 AM »

I really, really, really need to play Dark Cloud 2.  That being said, the limited screenshots of this new game look pretty neato!

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2005, 06:53:38 AM »

"Not to mention the combat absolutely sucked."
I thought it was great.  Even with the large amount of fighting, I never once got bored with it, and the combination of melee and ranged attacks worked great.  They also balanced the difficulty well, since it remained a challenge even if you levelled up your weapons a lot.  It was also a big improvement over the combat in Dark Cloud, which did indeed suck.

1Up has some details about the trailer for Rogue Galaxy here.  The setting sounds very cool, but it looks like it's not going to be a Dark Cloud-type game, as you have a 3-member party.

Nakor
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2005, 09:28:58 PM »

so wait a minute .. the same company that did Dark Cloud 2 also did Dragon Quest 8?

I guess I need to check that out then... DC2 is one of the best games I've ever played. Not only was the game itself excellent, but it seemed like a very polished, high quality, attention-to-detail title. I know DQ8 is a different kind of game, but if it has that same polish to it, it's a must-buy for me.

See my list of games I have and want.
warning

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2005, 09:31:54 PM »

I wanted to like Dark Cloud 2 but it felt like work to me.
Samurai
Gaming Trend Reader

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2005, 10:09:35 PM »

Hmm Dark Cloud 2 is only 19.99... perhaps its time to try it out.

Welcome to the Bovine.
semiconscious

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2005, 10:22:31 PM »

Quote from: "warning"

it's not just you - happened to me, too. loved the look & feel of it, but just couldn't get into the picture-taking/inventing aspect...

"... i'm not against some 'monkey catching'... but i'd rather be collecting pants..."
- snake, 'snake vs monkey' (mgs3:se)
Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2005, 11:33:05 PM »

Quote from: "Nakor"
so wait a minute .. the same company that did Dark Cloud 2 also did Dragon Quest 8?

Yes and no.  Level 5 were basically "coders for hire" on DQ8 going off of a design from the Enix guys who had designed the previous Dragon Quest games.  DQ8 shares the same great technical pedigree of Dark Cloud 2 but not necessarilly any design elements.
Dimmona

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2005, 03:03:27 AM »

I saw Dark Cloud 2 used for 6.99 a little while back - guess I'll be picking it up.  

Are the randomly generated battles as frequent as, say, Skies of Arcadia on the Dreamcast?

Xbox Live tag: Dimmona
DS WiFi Friends Codes
Wii Code: 6091 9321 3340 8417
Xbox360 Gamer Card
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2005, 06:42:56 AM »

Quote from: "warning"

This is what I was trying to say. And I still think the combat sucked.
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2005, 06:47:12 AM »

"Are the randomly generated battles as frequent as, say, Skies of Arcadia on the Dreamcast?"
It's a different kind of system.  It works like Zelda or the Dark Alliance games.   The levels and enemies are randomly generated, and then your single character fights them in real-time.

Gamespot has posted the full-length (7+ minutes) trailer for Rogue Galaxy here.  It looks very cool and seems more like Dark Cloud 2 than the description made it sound.

EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2005, 07:24:09 AM »

Gamespot has some new information about the game.  My favorite part - "Level 5 is confident that the total volume of areas to explore in Rogue Galaxy will surpass any RPG to date."  I spent over 190 hours on Dark Cloud 2 - I can't imagine how long this game will be.  It looks like next year will be another great one for RPGs.

TheMissingLink

TML, for short.

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 04, 2005, 11:59:40 AM »

I picked up Dark Cloud 2 a couple weeks ago....waiting to complete Beyond Good & Evil before I play it, though...two games, two cameras, PICTURE-TIME!

TheMissingLink on PSN
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 06, 2005, 07:23:17 AM »

RPGamer has a ton of screenshots and the full almost 8-minute trailer.  The game looks amazing.

depward

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 31, 2005, 08:04:35 AM »

RPGamer has a ton of screenshots and the full almost 8-minute trailer.  The game looks amazing.

I just got done watching Cinematech: Nocturnal Emissions on G4 that had a pretty dang long trailer of this game.

And I was extremely impressed!!

It looks absolutely fantastic!  I recommend anyone look into the trailer.  It does remind me a bit of Skies of Arcadia, but with real-time battles and with a very slick looking cel-shaded look.

depward on the Playstation Network
raaaaaawwwwwwr on Xbox Live
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 31, 2005, 08:26:18 AM »

Assuming they showed the whole trailer, it was almost 8 minutes long, and was indeed very impressive.  It looks like the PS2 is going to go out with a bunch of great RPGs.

farley2k

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 31, 2005, 08:30:19 PM »

Just watched the 8 minute trailer.  It looks very good but I really hope they don't try to throw everything and the kitchen sink into the game.

I really felt like Dark Cloud 2 tried to do to much.  Camera, world building, item creation, combat, story, etc., etc.  I know that some people really love an RPG with a ton to do but I get tired of having so many things to do.

Kevin Grey
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 01, 2005, 12:11:39 AM »

Man that trailer blew me away.  I just love the world design in the game.  And it sure is gorgeous- Level 5 really knows how to tap the power of the PS2.  This one just went near the top of my most wanted list.
Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 01, 2005, 03:11:32 AM »

The main concern for me with this one is the battle system-if it is like DC2 I think I will be dissapointed-if it is a little more turn based traditional I am definately on board.
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 01, 2005, 05:25:19 AM »

From the looks of the screenshots, the battle system appears to be most similar to Star Ocean : Till The End of Time.  There are three people fighting at once in real-time, although you presumably only control one at a time.

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 01, 2005, 05:29:17 AM »

From the looks of the screenshots, the battle system appears to be most similar to Star Ocean : Till The End of Time.  There are three people fighting at once in real-time, although you presumably only control one at a time.

Ugh! That might knock it off my list, as phenomenal as it does look-I despised the combat in SO:TTEOT. Just hated it.
EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 01, 2005, 06:51:56 AM »

That's just a guess based on the screenshots.  It may be nothing like that, but it definitely looks action-based.

EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 07, 2005, 09:33:01 AM »

RPGamer has some great new scans here.  They also have some details on the battle system here.

EddieA

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 16, 2005, 10:01:40 AM »

1Up has the awesome new TGS trailer here.

Calvin

President of G.R.O.S.S.

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 16, 2005, 07:07:20 PM »

1Up has the awesome new TGS trailer here.

Time to watch it and drool.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: